The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 11-21-2008, 12:51 PM

Is that the blonde lesbian lawyer from Law and Order?

Looks like when she was laid off she became a finger waving hobo. Tough times we're living in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomamacuhsuckit View Post
But I recently watched Shiki-Jitsu, one of his movies, and it was one of the dullest, most humorless pieces of shit I've ever seen, and I haven't seen the show since then. I also thought His and Her Circumstances was garbage.
Crap, he might be more depressing than Lukas Moodysson. I have to see his live action stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm Guycot View Post
The "good"ness of the show is in the characters, and how realistically flawed they are. They're all F'ed up - just like all of us. Not a single person is free. Not calm cool Gendou. Not hottie Misato. Not brainy feminist Ritsuko. Not even teen heartthrob Kaji.
I don't need a TV show to tell me people are a mess.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingmar Bergman View Post
Google image search will express my thoughts.

...So I didn't think it was garbage?
Old 11-22-2008, 11:57 AM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bungle700 View Post
About the angels: not that there's a whole lot of evidence in the series to support it, but I always thought of them as being [COLOR="White"]a collective consciousness of some sort. The way that each one is more powerful than the last and employs more and more effective tactics indicates to me that they are actually produced successively (as I guess would be evidenced by the embryonic one in the volcano). Or at least there seems to be a driving consciousness behind them that guides their creation. I always loved the last two before Kaworu. The first invades Asuka's mind and the second invades Rei's body. Then the final angel takes what they learned and comes in the form of a human. The fact that he gets much closer to destroying humanity through the use of love than violence is the ultimate expression of the Hedgehog's Dilemma and plays into the series' philosophy that we hurt the ones we love the most.
Counterpoint: In the comic, Kaworu shows up well before Arael (the one that rapes Asuka's mind, in fact, Kaworu showing up is one of the reasons Asuka refuses to turn around during the fight because she's deduced he was meant to replace her) and actually pilots Unit 02 against Armisael (the one that invades Rei). It attacks and hurts him, and it's made clear that they aren't the same.

That being said, SEELE comes right out and says that Kaworu has the soul of Adam.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:44 PM
d.o_o.b

Guys, I'm pretty sure Eva's entire plot is a MacGuffin to allow Anno to torture the characters.

We should stop discussing this and talk about his superior work, RE: Cutie Honey.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid View Post
Guys, I'm pretty sure Eva's entire plot is a MacGuffin to allow Anno to show how people torture themselves.
Anyway, did you say RE: Cutie Honey?

Because in my mind, that translates to NATSUKO AKI.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Inscaper

So yeah I'm doing this again.

http://thingthatdontsuck.blogspot.com/
Old 03-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Placeholder

Hey, this is relevant:

Quote:
Evangelion's official website suggests the Nigecha Dame ("I mustn't run away!") underpants for psyching yourself up for stressful work, tests, dates, and similar situations.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Find Your Reason

But if a significant other starts undressing someone in the midst of passion, and sees him wearing the "Mustn't run away!" underoos, what will they--

Oh, right.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:57 PM
out of how many points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomamacuhsuckit View Post
But I recently watched Shiki-Jitsu, one of his movies, and it was one of the dullest, most humorless pieces of shit I've ever seen
I really like Shiki-Jitsu. It's not exactly the fastest moving film, but damn is it great, and very pretty.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:02 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Is there a version where Shinji doesn't look like Kaworu who looks like Asuka who looks like Rei....

I mean, even Toriyama has distinctive female faces.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:08 PM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Dead Junkie View Post
So yeah I'm doing this again.

http://thingthatdontsuck.blogspot.com/
I can't really agree. I mean, they weren't great episodes, but Fs? Maybe I'm just not that hard on things in general.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:19 PM
ILU Tiger Millionaire

What Adrenaline said. Yeah, they were filler, besides introducing Asuka. But the Asuka episode was just stupid fun. For me, anyway.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:24 AM
Inscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I can't really agree. I mean, they weren't great episodes, but Fs? Maybe I'm just not that hard on things in general.
I was going to let them slide with Ds and then I asked myself, did I enjoy any of it. The answer was no.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:36 AM
Little Waves

I like the part where Asuka demands that Shinji think in German for her Eva to synchronize properly, so he does the only thing he can and mumbles the few words he knows, like "streusel."

Also the part where Unit-02 hops around on battleships. It's not like the Evas themselves don't already defy the laws of physics.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:18 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinoff View Post
I really like Shiki-Jitsu. It's not exactly the fastest moving film, but damn is it great, and very pretty.
Yeah. I basically can't respect the opinion of anyone who doesn't enjoy Shiki-Jitsu.

Iwai Shunji plays the main character, for god's sake. How is that not awesome?

Answer: If you are a jerk.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:48 AM
Find Your Reason

I watched Anno's Love & Pop many, many years ago.

I just know I'll have to tell a psychiatrist about it at some point.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Inscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post

Also the part where Unit-02 hops around on battleships. It's not like the Evas themselves don't already defy the laws of physics.
Yeah I know it's kind of dumb to be bugged by this but I can't help the fact that it took me out of the moment.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:21 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Dead Junkie View Post
Yeah I know it's kind of dumb to be bugged by this but I can't help the fact that it took me out of the moment.
The moment of a giant humanoid robot fighting an underwater fish monster? That they throw a boat in it's mouth to destroy? You've just gotta suspend your disbelief for a bit there.

But anyway, The Best Filler Episode™, Both of You, Dance Like You Want to Win!, is up next. So at least you've got something to look forward to.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Inscaper

Yeah I remember it being one of my favorites. So I'm hoping it holds up.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
Yeah. I basically can't respect the opinion of anyone who doesn't enjoy Shiki-Jitsu.

Iwai Shunji plays the main character, for god's sake. How is that not awesome?

Answer: If you are a jerk.
I'll watch it again I guess. Anyone want to privately tell me where a rapidshare might be? The torrent is currently a no-go.

PS for everyone who hasn't gotten enough arguing about Eva, enjoy.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:49 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bungle700 View Post
Anyway, did you say RE: Cutie Honey?

Because in my mind, that translates to NATSUKO AKI.

That reminds me, I've yet to be able to check this one out. Weird how little Cutie Honey actually gets over here. Yet, for some reason Kekko Kamen got a DVD release here (dubbed, even) and not this.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:15 PM
Terrible confusion

I submit for your entertainment, a completely untainted view on Evangelion from someone who just watched the series for the first time (that's me!):

I finished it off tonight (haven't seen End of Evangelion, but I am going to do that next). My opinion of the show is that it was very good. Up to the point where it becomes mind-trippy, it is a very solid anime that mixes interesting action scenes (and mech designs that would revolutionize the way mech designs are done henceforth) with characters that are interesting to learn about. I know some people find Shinj's character to be annoying or useless, but I have to disagree. I feel that he definitely served a purpose, and was actually pretty relatable.

When things take a turn for the trippy, I can understand how people could feel mixed about the show. Really I shouldn't write "take[s] a turn for the trippy" though, because in reality, the show did a good job of gradually leading up to the "break down" by showing the characters' problems throughout the series. So I feel the ending was very suitable. Maybe I was just in the zone or something, but while watching the last two episodes, things just made sense for me. Now, as for the question of whether the ending is satisfying in wrapping up the series, that is more debatable. We know what has been accomplished by the end of the series (namely that the angels have been defeated), so what is left to say? We are shown the Human Instrumentality Project through Shinji's eyes, which seems like the logical way to end things. It may not have been the most straightforward way of delivering that part of the story, but really, how else were they going to tell it? And personally, I found watching it through Shinji's eyes to be quite affecting. Certainly a controversial ending, but I think it worked.

I will be interested to see what the End of Evangelion adds to the series, but as of right now, my impression remains that the 26 episodes are a complete package that manages to be thrilling, intriguing, moving, and disturbing. I wonder when we will see another anime this great.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:29 PM
In the Hall of Judgment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergasa View Post
but really, how else were they going to tell it?
You might not want to know the answer to this question.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Bald Gendou

Bergasa - I'm with you. And I'm betting a lot of people on this thread were too. But when they heard the behind the scenes stuff about Anno being tempermental and/or crazy, or about Gainax running out of money, they assumed this took its toll and all the stupid things that also served a purpose (Rei and Asuka in elevator) became horrific signs that Evangelion sucked.

As if every creative triumph ever penned by man didn't have similar problems that, rather than ruin them, gave them the character that made them timeless.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:02 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

I agree with Bergasa in that I was satisfied with the TV show ending and the way it slowly built to insanity. But I also think the movie compliments the end of the TV show nicely for some nice split mental/physical duality representation of what went down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavir View Post
You might not want to know the answer to this question.
On a related note, I saw the 2nd remake movie for a 2nd time with a different friend, and afterwards when we went out for a couple drinks he talked about seeing End of Evangelion in the theatre.

He said that there were little kids (apparently brought to the theatre by very foolish parents) who audibly asked, "Mommy, what's that?" after the infamous Shinji/Asuka hospital scene.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
(Rei and Asuka in elevator)
One of my favorite moments in the show, and one that really helped convince me the show was above and beyond what I thought it had the possibility of being at the beginning. It's funny people found that to be just a symptom of budget cuts, because I think it's amazing how heavily stuff like that prefigures a show like the British Office that tries to pull scenes as far as possible and keep them interesting. The first scene that blew me away, actually, is when Misato and Shinji meet at the train station and it just stretches apart.

Having not seen them I'm actually worried about how the remakes cope with unlimited budget and means. I always liked the way the show skirted the censors and played with the limits of their budget as inventively as possible. One of my favorite parts of the show was that it always felt, as much as it was a real show with an interesting story, like an elaborate prank on the viewer and the network, like it was getting away with something.

I'm glad everyone seems to have positive words for the remakes. And I loved EoE, so whatever.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:57 PM
Terrible confusion

So I watched End of Evangelion tonight. After it finished and I stared at a blank TV screen for a few good minutes, I switched over to the cable and caught the end of the Seinfeld clip show episode (featuring the montage set to Greenday's "Time of Your Life") which I always find to be very depressing.

The cumulative effect kind of made me feel like killing myself.

No, I wasn't as optimistic about EoE after its viewing than I was with the Evangelion series proper. There were things I liked about it, but for the most part it seemed a little too crazy for me. I am going to have to Wikipedia it to see what kind of sense people have made of it. My stance remains that the series' last two episodes do a good job of ending the run. I wonder if EoE appeased the fans who didn't like the show's finale, or just served to further piss them off.

On a related note, I find the stuff about Anno's mental instability during the show interesting... Does anyone know of a good book or website that chronicles the Evangelion/Anno saga well?
Old 07-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Bald Gendou

I love both the series ending and EoE.

I guess people are upset about how Asuka dies? I think it's perfect.

Supposedly Anno was in the Aum cult.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Terrible confusion

Quote:
I guess people are upset about how Asuka dies? I think it's perfect.
That was actually one of the parts I liked too. The stuff I didn't really appreciate was towards the end... the whole Lilith/Rei thing.

But I sort of already regret posting my last post so early after viewing EoE. I should have left it to decompress in my mind. The more I think about it, the more the movie seems to work. I will post more later I guess.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:10 PM
ILU Tiger Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergasa View Post
That was actually one of the parts I liked too. The stuff I didn't really appreciate was towards the end... the whole Lilith/Rei thing.

But I sort of already regret posting my last post so early after viewing EoE. I should have left it to decompress in my mind. The more I think about it, the more the movie seems to work. I will post more later I guess.
I think you had some good points in your initial post concerning EoE. I personally found the TV ending to be very uplifting, as opposed to the movie's ending. I'm not sure how valid this theory is, but one I've read is that both endings are correct. The TV ending is inside Shinji's head, while the events of End of Evangelion are actually happening in the real world. Not sure how true that is, but if so, then it makes the TV ending depressing in its own way.

Tags
evangelion , folding chairs , gainax , get in the fucking robot , hedgehog's dilemma , mind-raping , mindblowing , q horse , where are the blu-rays?