The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 06-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Suspected Atarian

Default The old farts Atari thread (whippersnappers welcome!)

In the gaming with kids thread, djSyndrome asked to see my Atari 2600 collection. Rather than thread jack, I thought I'd start a new one.

(click photos to embiggen)

The attic "man cave" brought to you by the cheap Swedish crap at IKEA!

The Atari 2600 carts, there are also some Colecovision and 5200 carts in there and Dreamcast games up top. No boxes, but...

I do have a bunch of manuals in a couple of binders (mostly Atari and Activision with a smattering of other 3rd party stuff)

And I do have a few game in box, more as decoration...

Quote:
Originally Posted by djSyndrome View Post
Solaris and Star Raiders were my favorite two 2600 games. Interview with their creator, Douglas Neubauer.
Solaris is definitely one of the most technically impressive games on the system, but I had more fun with BMX Airmaster. I did love Star Raiders as a kid, my dad and I built cockpits out of cardboard boxes to pretend we were flying X-Wings.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Adorable, but not cute

God Lord, man. =O
Old 06-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Slammaster

Wow. That's... anal retentive as all get-out, on the other hand... it's kinda awesome.

I've never been big on having boxes/manuals, unless the game is CD/DVD/Blu-Ray based. So, I've got a shelf full of carts, but not binders full of etc.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:03 PM
forbidden noise

Seeing this stuff reminds me of being six again. I had some good times with the stuff we had, but there's very little of it I could get into again.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

I swear I remember playing Gauntlet or something very like it on our Atari when I was little. I've never found anyone else who admits they remember Gauntlet being that old, but you had a little dude who walked through mazes shooting monsters and picking up food and keys.

I remember it mostly because it's my earliest memory of playing games with my mom. I don't want it to be a LLLLIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEE.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:15 PM
I like Starman.

Yeah, this definitely reminds me being young. My best memories though of pre-NES stuff are of the Colecovision. I've tried to win one on ebay, but they aren't cheap.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:41 PM
We Hardly Knew Ye

My earliest gaming memories are the likes of Joust, Food Fight, Dig Dug, and Moon Patrol on an Atari 7800.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Thanatos feeding time

/wipes single tear from eye

It looks like you have just about every first party 2600 game, including the Kids Controller ones. Are there any (non-protos) that you're missing?
Old 06-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Time for talking

My dad had an Atari of some sort, I don't know the number attached. I recall it being grey, though.

As for games, I don't have a clue. A lot of adventure ones. One with a ninja and one that might be called Captain Blood or Major Blood or something. There was also a really goofy fighting game with barbarians with little snakes and stuff forming the border of the screen. And Spyhunter, I'm pretty sure. Oh, and Joust.

Some of these might have been for the TI, too.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:05 PM
punch a fish, make a wish

to hell with all y'all, Intellivision 4 lyfe
Old 06-05-2009, 01:31 AM
Cobra and Phases Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
My dad had an Atari of some sort, I don't know the number attached. I recall it being grey, though.

As for games, I don't have a clue. A lot of adventure ones. One with a ninja and one that might be called Captain Blood or Major Blood or something. There was also a really goofy fighting game with barbarians with little snakes and stuff forming the border of the screen. And Spyhunter, I'm pretty sure. Oh, and Joust.

Some of these might have been for the TI, too.
Sounds like your dad had an ST, then:

Captain Blood was a very weird French game(music by Jean-Michel Jarre, no less) in which you have to chase after a bunch of clones of yourself who have stolen your bodily fluids. Cuh, those crazy Frenchies.

The barbarians fighting game was imaginatively called "Barbarian". This series was considered slightly controversial at the time, not for the level of violence in the games(which was quite a lot, especially in the sequel), but the fact that it had a lady with big tits on the cover. Some stores even refused to stock it because of this! But apparently large man-boobs were an acceptable alternative:

Incidentally, the guy on the cover went on to star in the UK version of "Gladiators" and went by the name of WOLF. Trufax.

Our family computer was an ST for years, and we had a lot of fun with it, except for the cruel taunts of smug Amiga fans mocking our every step.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:58 AM
HellCorgieが倒せない!

This is beautiful.

Oh man...Crystal Castles.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:18 AM
Not a Beer

Very nice.

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it (some might say "name-dropped") around here before, but Warren Robinett, the guy who single-handedly created Adventure, worked in my office for a wihle a few years back. I assume you've gotten his famous easter egg?

I never actually owned an Atari myself, though I played a little bit at friends' houses occasionally. I did have a venerable TI-99/4A complete with audio cassette drive and blatantly ripped-off cartridge games TI Invaders, Munch Man, Tombstone City, and Alpiner.

My wife actually has a Sears-branded faux-wood-panelled Atari in a box, but we haven't bothered to get it working again.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:26 AM
Sudden chomper

My first ever console was the plastic 2600 that they pushed in the late 80s for UNDER FIFTY BUCKS?! It wasn't where I played my first games, mind you, because my dad has always been big into computers, but it was where I got my first television games. Solaris truly was hot, and my other favorites were Vanguard and Joust. I think I'll probably make le geek sad with my declaration that I'm perfectly happy to never play any of those games again, though. Then again, for me console gaming only really took off with the Super Nintendo, and I probably couldn't name you more than ten NES games that I consider absolutely essential.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:33 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

We had an Atari in our house but I always liked the Colecovision better.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:39 AM
Suspected Atarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeWell
Wow. That's... anal retentive as all get-out, on the other hand... it's kinda awesome.
Heh, yeah I did take it a little too far, huh? Not only that, but I had to special order the small sized plastic inserts for the binders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas
I swear I remember playing Gauntlet or something very like it on our Atari when I was little.
There was a game called Dark Chambers for the Atari that was very Gauntlet like. There was also a game called Gauntlet; it was very rare, had nothing to do with Gauntlet, and was absolutely horrible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholai
My best memories though of pre-NES stuff are of the Colecovision.
The Coleco plays much nicer versions of Q*bert and Mr. DO!, among others. Yeah they are harder to find, and they tend to break if you don't take good care of them. Atari's are like tanks in comparison!

Quote:
/wipes single tear from eye

It looks like you have just about every first party 2600 game, including the Kids Controller ones. Are there any (non-protos) that you're missing?
I have every 1st party pre-crash game except Gravitar (but I do have the late 80s red cart re-release). I am missing a few other unique late 80s red carts though. I used to have more 3rd party carts (complete Activision and Imagic sets, etc), but I sold some stuff off several years ago.

I really got into Atari when I went to college in the early 90s. The internet was new and I discovered the existence of so many games I had never heard of. Now you can just go the atariage.com and just look at the list of all the games, but at the time it was exciting to try to figure out what was out there.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:46 AM
Suspected Atarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
I think I'll probably make le geek sad with my declaration that I'm perfectly happy to never play any of those games again, though.
GET OFF MY LAWN BANJO!!!!

Awwwwww...I can't stay mad, you're playing Suikoden II.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:52 AM
Just bear with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadia View Post
This is beautiful.

Oh man...Crystal Castles.
An awesome game, no matter how you slice it.

Also, this is a really good idea, putting the manuals in folders. I'm thinking this would also work for the boxes, if you didn't mind flattening them first. I recall a friend of mine (I think it was the editor of this very site!) putting all his music CDs in ultra-thin slip cases, as opposed to the standard jewel cases. It saved him a little space, but I'm sure it also made it really handy whenever he needed to move.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:52 AM
Space Prez

I have a special place in my heart for Adventure. To this day I am stunned that more video games can have more than four rooms (and a little disappointed that most do so little with them).

Also: Atari Superman is the best superhero video game because a) you can't die or really even lose, much like Superman and b) it's the first sandbox game.
Discuss.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:56 AM
To the Max

That room is amazing.

My mom bought my dad an Atari 2600 (with luxurious wood paneling!) for Christmas a few years before I was born. Some of my earliest memories involve the Atari versions of Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, and Space Invaders. For the longest time I thought Pac-Man was only on the Atari, and I wasn't aware of the real version in the arcade. When I saw Pac-Man proper a few years later, my mind was blown. I still have an nostalgic love for the Atari version, though.

And I've never even seen a box or manual for a 2600 game. My parents must have thrown them out, and every game I've purchased has been at a flea market or yard sale with the cartridge only.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:00 AM
Sudden chomper

Oh man, I just noticed that your 360 has a fake wood panel faceplate. That's perfect.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:19 AM
Just bear with me

I'm old enough to remember buying Atari 2600 games brand new off store shelves... but young enough to never pay more than ten bucks for each of them. The dollar stores actually used to carry some of these games, particularly the later cutting-edge releases like Solaris and Midnight Magic that pushed the system harder than anyone thought possible. It was timed perfectly, too, just as classic game collecting started to pick up steam as a hobby.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:02 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

I was a 5200 owner rather than a 2600 owner... do I get to play in this thread until my controller breaks?
Old 06-05-2009, 08:05 AM
Thanatos feeding time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
I was a 5200 owner rather than a 2600 owner... do I get to play in this thread until my controller breaks?
Or until you realize your 5200 was just an 800 with its keyboard excised at birth!

(I wanted a 5200 so, so hard as a kid)
Old 06-05-2009, 08:14 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Or until you realize your 5200 was just an 800 with its keyboard excised at birth!

(I wanted a 5200 so, so hard as a kid)
It really only gets a bad rep because of the godawful controllers. Without them, it had a whole pile of great Atari arcade titles. Plus weird stuff like the football game that actually had detailed play-calling using the numeric keypad.

Even if I just played Qix a lot, which may have been the one title that was actually ported reasonably well to the 2600.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:15 AM
Thanatos feeding time

Quote:
It really only gets a bad rep because of the godawful controllers. Without them, it had a whole pile of great Atari arcade titles. Plus weird stuff like the football game that actually had detailed play-calling using the numeric keypad.
If I'm not mistaken, it was also the first console with a dedicated pause button, a feature we all take for granted nowadays.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Just bear with me

Quote:
Even if I just played Qix a lot, which may have been the one title that was actually ported reasonably well to the 2600.
???

(the 5200 port of Qix was pretty awesome, but no 2600 port exists)

Also, if you buy an Atari 5200, and I highly recommend that you do, be sure you get a Wico Command Control joystick and its Y-cable to go along with it. It's the perfect way to defeat the awful controller that was originally packaged with the system, offering both the precision of analog control and the tactile feel of an arcade joystick.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:46 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Huh. So what did I play Qix on OTHER than my 5200?

Okay, this is going to bug me for months unless I dig up the answer. To Wikipedia!

... huh. Maybe I'm mixing it up with memories of the Amiga version.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:02 AM
Suspected Atarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
Also, if you buy an Atari 5200, and I highly recommend that you do, be sure you get a Wico Command Control joystick and its Y-cable to go along with it. It's the perfect way to defeat the awful controller that was originally packaged with the system, offering both the precision of analog control and the tactile feel of an arcade joystick.
That sounds pretty sweet! I have two refurbed sticks from Best Electronics, as well as a custom Masterplay-like device that a friend built for me. It has a keypad built in. I usually play with a Genesis pad... I also have a 5200 Trackball, but I need to see if I can get it working.

The 5200 version of Choplifter! plays great if you have a working analogue stick, I actually can defeat the satellites. I assume it plays as well as the Apple // version. My favorite 5200 game is actually Miner 2049er, which was ported to just about everything back then.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:18 PM
For blood and gold

The first system I had at home was the NES, but I have fond memories of playing Atari, Colecovision, and Intellivision at friend's houses. Sadly, my friend with the Atari only had (what I realize in retrospect) were really crappy games for it like Tax Evaders and E.T. Okay, he also had Breakout and Barnstorming.

Tags
wood grain