The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-01-2008, 07:02 PM
First Crusade! Judge!

Daemon Tools is free and good for such a thing.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Gettin' dizzy

Well I have a CD burner, so now I feel like a foo.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Thanatos feeding time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynastic Bird View Post
Disgaea for the PS2 is getting a reprint; you can buy it for $20 as soon as the new print comes on September 2nd!
To coincide with this, a new strat guide which covers all three versions (PS2, PSP and DS) is due for release soon, and for the discounted price of 15 bones.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:18 PM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimJimm View Post
Well I have a CD burner, so now I feel like a foo.
You should feel like a foo, since they explained what you have to do on the download page.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Just bear with me

There's a K-Mart in mid-Michigan that's closing down due to fierce competition by Wal-Mart and Meijer. There were a lot of bitchin' deals on video games in particular... all the consoles were gone, but there were still a lot of games and accessories, all 40% off.

It took every ounce of my will to keep myself from buying the extended life PSP battery ($24) and the 120GB Xbox 360 hard drive ($129). Sure, it was forty percent off, but $129 still seems like a lot of dough for a hard drive of that size. I passed on the PSP battery because I no longer own a working unit, although it's extremely likely that I'll wind up buying the PSP-3000 eventually.

I left the K-Mart with the sequel to NiGHTS on the Wii, which cost a quite reasonable $12. I like the game well enough, but the new art direction is a bit offputting (ew! Realistic looking humans!) and the control just doesn't seem to be as sharp as the original. Still, a little bit of that old Saturn magic is better than none at all.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:48 AM
TARANTUL

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Baron View Post
Newegg's rocking Xbox Live Gold 12-month Memberships for $40.
Damn it damn it damn it damn it. I just dropped $1400 at new egg on a new gaming rig. Had I but known I'd have grabbed one of these two.

Edit: I agree with the general confusion on Parish's issue with NewEgg, looking over my order history I've spent thousands of dollars there to build/upgrade half a dozen computers and never once had a problem with them. In fact the one time I needed to RMA a mobo it was so much easier to go through NewEgg's return policy than Asus'.

Last edited by Destil; 09-02-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djSyndrome View Post
To coincide with this, a new strat guide which covers all three versions (PS2, PSP and DS) is due for release soon, and for the discounted price of 15 bones.
You have a link? My basic searching skills are failing me.

The list and graph nature of Doublejump guides go perfectly with Disgaea. I'd love to play the ds version without having to flip menus and remember numbers.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Thanatos feeding time

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony ryan View Post
You have a link? My basic searching skills are failing me.
Sure thing! GameStop page.

To be fair, it's not on DJB's main web page, and there's only one small mention of it in their forums.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:42 PM

Awesome. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Curious Young Gent

For any import-wary UKers, you can get the PAL FF4 cheaper than import from here. A rare occurrence.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Sudden chomper

So, uh, apparently this week they're releasing Hotel Dusk in Canada or something? Both Future Shop and Best Buy have it listed in their weekly flyers, although this has me totally mystified. If anyone's looking for a new copy of that game, maybe I can help hook you up - it's going for $20, but with taxes and shipping it would probably end up closer to $30.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Mystery Contraption

I remember that Hotel Dusk completely dropped off the face of the earth as soon as I wanted it.

I recall that it came out almost the same week as Phoenix Wright: Justice for All, and I got that instead thinking that a Nintendo published game would be far easier to track down in the future then a PW game would be.

What a fool I was.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Getting Equipped

Hotel Dusk is getting a re-release. Best Buy and Target will have it on 9/9 for $20.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Toxic Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordian View Post
Hotel Dusk is getting a re-release. Best Buy and Target will have it on 9/9 for $20.
Now Nintendo, give Tetris DS the same treatment.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:53 PM

Steam is having a sale on id games this weekend.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Interstellar Private Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFink View Post
Beyond Good & Evil (GC), used, @ $11 ($16 shipped). The thing is, it turns out the seller was more picky than I imagined: it was advertised as "very scratched but functional", when in reality it had some lines but not much else. Box and manual were in top shape as well.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:23 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Oh man, the entire Commander Keen series for $2.50?? I have half a mind to install Steam just for that.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Faceshove champion

Amazon's got Dragon Quest VI for the DS for $36.99. $3 less to help offset the Square Enix tax.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Justice is my Middle Name

Discounted XBL DLC
The only really good thing I see on there is the Mass Effect DLC. I guess if you don't have Shivering Isles, and you're still playing Oblivion, that's a great price for it.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Hoo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamin View Post
Amazon's got Dragon Quest VI for the DS for $36.99. $3 less to help offset the Square Enix tax.
That's no help if it's in Japanese!

Yes I know it was an honest mistake. You meant IV, right?
Old 09-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Just bear with me

I'm tempted. I just bought Mass Effect (and should really start a thread about it...) and I suppose a little extra content wouldn't hurt. At the same time, I could always save that money for an Xbox Live Arcade game...
Old 09-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Fuck you. That's my name.

Have any fellow Tyrants seen a reputable place that could sell me a cheap/used/refurb Xbox 360 with a hard drive (any size)? I'm really feeling the itch to jump to next gen (despite not having a fancy TV, but my 23" CRT PC monitor will do) but I can't break the bank (though it's mostly broken already) on 300 for a new one. I figure the answer is "no," but it never hurts to ask.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
How do these old PC games run on XP? Have they been ported to newer OSes? Any updates to the online component?
Old 09-06-2008, 06:23 PM
To the Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
How do these old PC games run on XP? Have they been ported to newer OSes? Any updates to the online component?
I just downloaded the Wolfenstein pack, and they seem to boot up using DOSBox. I'm using Vista, and they're running great so far (well, as great as a 15 year old FPS can run, anyway.)
Old 09-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Thanatos feeding time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjb0070 View Post
Have any fellow Tyrants seen a reputable place that could sell me a cheap/used/refurb Xbox 360 with a hard drive (any size)? I'm really feeling the itch to jump to next gen (despite not having a fancy TV, but my 23" CRT PC monitor will do) but I can't break the bank (though it's mostly broken already) on 300 for a new one. I figure the answer is "no," but it never hurts to ask.
Don't do it. I bought a refurb'd 360 three months ago, and it's already at the hospital. The $50-$75 you'll save isn't worth the hassle.

Try and find a 20GB unit; Best Buy is clearing them out for $260 right now.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I've only played Commander Keen Episode 1 and X-Com: UFO Defense so far, using a Windows XP Pro system. They're just the original games running on a preconfigured DOSbox, emulating the FM synth and PC speaker audio to play on your modern soundcard, and frame-limiting the games to play at their intended speeds. I wouldn't expect any updated online support, but I've only tried two games that never had any multiplayer component in the first place, so I could be mistaken.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:58 AM
I am being eaten?

Got the id super pack, and all the Dos games run great save for Ultimate Doom. The nice thing about the Doom engine games is that you're only paying for the WADs. That means that with some effort, you can use a good source port instead of DOSbox in order to get good multiplayer running, and in fact Carmack apparently recommends doing this. From what I read on Steam's forums, getting Doom games to run on Zdoom requires copying three files and editing a few lines in a batch file.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Banned

I wonder why Doom would run in DOSbox; didn't id release a Windows port way back when? I was interested in how the old Win 95/98 era games like Quake and WinDoom would run.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:29 PM
I am being eaten?

Quote:
I wonder why Doom would run in DOSbox; didn't id release a Windows port way back when? I was interested in how the old Win 95/98 era games like Quake and WinDoom would run.
The only thing I can think of in that regard is Doom95, which Microsoft actually made to get the game to run in on the 9x line of OSes. It works, but it is said to be buggy (I don't know personally). DOSbox being free to use and fairly solid with these games, it makes some sense as opposed to running Doom95 in compatability mode.

BTW, I just used ZDoom, and holy shit. Big difference in graphics and framerate.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Especially Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by taidan View Post
The only thing I can think of in that regard is Doom95, which Microsoft actually made to get the game to run in on the 9x line of OSes. It works, but it is said to be buggy (I don't know personally). DOSbox being free to use and fairly solid with these games, it makes some sense as opposed to running Doom95 in compatability mode.

BTW, I just used ZDoom, and holy shit. Big difference in graphics and framerate.
What is this ZDoom? Do you know any ways to make Hexen look better? I love me some hexen, but it sure is dated.

Tags
ally mcbeals , bill mcneals , cheap games , congeals , deals , drm-freels , eels , feels , for reals , heels , keels , key and peeles , kneels , meals , neils , peels , reels , seals , squeals , steals , steam , teals , the captain and tennilles , wheels , zeals