The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 07-10-2017, 05:10 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
I have the FF12 steelbook for PS2 as well but I couldn't force my way through the game. Too much damn running around; I heard they made it easier to actually get to things, which would be tremendous.

As of this writing, I feel like FF12 is one of the weakest titles in the series. I remember almost nothing about it. Still, "new" Final Fantasy and shit so it's in the mail. We'll see how I feel about it in a few days.
This is the story of a girl, who cried a river and drowned the whole world,
And while she looks so sad in photographs she wants fantasy nukes so she can destroy the empire that invaded her country
Old 07-10-2017, 06:20 PM
Space dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
What I'm most looking forward to is the score in Zodiac Age, since they rerecorded it with a full orchestra instead of OG FFXII's orchestral synths. I've listened to a bit on YouTube and the orchestra really takes Sakimoto's shimmering, majestic score to a place wehre it's fuckin sumptuous
THEY DID?!

Well shit, I'm sold. Will wait a bit to see if it's coming for Windows.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:29 PM
Out Of Warranty

I'm sad they didn't have an option to use the original board, but that's not keeping me away from this game.

I'm looking forward to your class recommendations so I can try them out as soon as I finish Persona 5 somewhere in... 2018?
Old 07-10-2017, 06:47 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

I was reading Kat's review and I remembered where the game fell apart for me: the desert. The somewhat mindless wandering around got old quickly. I also seem to recall, and I could be wrong here, that potions and other items are far more important in FF12 than the other FFs, which is something I just was not prepared to wrap my head around. I almost never use items in FF games.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
I'm sad they didn't have an option to use the original board, but that's not keeping me away from this game.

I'm looking forward to your class recommendations so I can try them out as soon as I finish Persona 5 somewhere in... 2018?
I thought that was an option, like pick the Zodiac Job system or go with old boards.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:08 PM
jiggery-pokery

You cannot use the old license boards, only the job system boards.

They also didn't fix the stupid black bar on the bottom of the cutscenes, which is annoying.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:59 PM
mellow dramatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
I also seem to recall, and I could be wrong here, that potions and other items are far more important in FF12 than the other FFs, which is something I just was not prepared to wrap my head around.
Items don't have casting time but they are usually weaker than spells. Potions have increased in utility from 'totally pointless' to 'my tank needs more HP before that Curaga fires'. Is this "far more important"? You decide (I don't want the responsibility)!
Old 07-10-2017, 11:00 PM
Toxic Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
You have a Mist Point for every Quickening a character has unlocked, for a total of three. Your first level Quickening takes 1 point, second level is 2 points and third is 3 points. Mist Charges still happen

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1912...c-age/75403072

Try this maybe? It even gives Basch Queklain

Another bonus: You can play as guest characters, which means you get to use Basch for even longer than you would in a normal game! (this also means that Larsa no longer has infinite potions)
I'll keep this in mind. ty
Old 07-10-2017, 11:01 PM
Little Waves

I feel pretty let down by the fact they left out the original attract reel. It's what made me immediately fall in love with the game, and I don't think I ever skipped past it when I started it up.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:37 AM
Fifth Business

What, you like being greeted with that more than The Zodiac Age's "This game will sometimes save data automatically. Please do not close the game while this icon is being displayed"?

...I was disappointed, too...I told you that auto-save was trouble! I warned ALL of you!

Aside from that, though, having a great time boppin' around HD, orchestral Rabanastre. And currently pondering whether to indulge in just a bit of Dustia farming to make the opening few hours nice and breezy and have some LP to play with and use to try out the new boards. Hmm. HMMMM...
Old 07-11-2017, 06:22 AM
I'm kind of over memes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
I feel pretty let down by the fact they left out the original attract reel. It's what made me immediately fall in love with the game, and I don't think I ever skipped past it when I started it up.
That..... that actually bums me out. I remember thinking the instant that brush stroke first appeared on the side of the logo that I was in for something special.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:23 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThricebornPhoenix View Post
Items don't have casting time but they are usually weaker than spells. Potions have increased in utility from 'totally pointless' to 'my tank needs more HP before that Curaga fires'. Is this "far more important"? You decide (I don't want the responsibility)!
well, you have the Item Lore augments that increase potion healing, MP charges from Ethers, Phoenix Down revival HP, and the status ailments that Remedies heal. Yes, Curaga will always be more powerful, but a Hi-Potion used by someone with all of the Potion Lores will also restore a lot of HP, and it's much faster. managing charge times is prettry critical in higher level battles in FFXII.

This is actually going to be really important in Zodiac Age, since not everyone is going to have access to Esuna/Cure magic. Archers get all of the Item Lores so they can be good item healers in a pinch, especially with the Pheasant Netsuke which doubles item potency.

also: NOOOOO MAH ATTRACT REEL

maybe they could patch it in?!?!
Old 07-11-2017, 07:02 AM
TARANTUL

Wait, the attract mode video!? That's one of the best damn parts if the game, I watch it every time I boot the game up.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:16 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Between the job board wackiness and the attract video, I think I'm likely to leave my memories of XII intact. It was a beautiful, fun experience (it's what got me through my recovery from gastro surgery back in 2011) and since I played it on the PS3 it looked... well, great enough.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:30 AM
is Earnest

Solution: PS4 has a YouTube app. You can watch that video whenever you want.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:51 AM
Fifth Business

THAT'S NOT THE SAME AND YOU KNOW IIIIIT

It is a minor thing, but yeah, being immediately greeted by this when you start the game itself is an enchanting and transporting moment, which I think matters when a focus on atmosphere and setting and a more stately pace is something that the game emphasizes more than most. It sets The Mood. And when the brush stroke and title and music all blaze in together, FANTASTIC.

This is a weird title to award something with, but here it is: Best Intro Made Entirely Out Of Flashily Cut Together Clips From The Game Itself And No Original Material

More to the point, I just don't see any reason to have removed it. Folks who loved the original are likely to have some sentimental attachment to it, and this release is banking on catering to their fond memories. And new players are just as likely to be 'ah, cool' about it, as well. But instead, they didn't even replace it with something new, they just chopped out a pre-existing bit of material to no benefit.

It's just weird!
Old 07-11-2017, 08:08 AM
Mystery City

My "they changed it!!!" gripe is the bestiary. The unique renders of each creature aren't there anymore, instead replaced by a rotatable 3D model. I love those models dearly, but I'm already meeting them in the game, so... It slightly lessens the impression of the bestiary as a written and read tome, which was one of the high points of the entire game for me.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:14 AM
Find Your Reason

wait but

the attract mode is literally the only place the Prologue/Theme of FF plays

why would they take it out
Old 07-11-2017, 08:38 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
wait but

the attract mode is literally the only place the Prologue/Theme of FF plays

why would they take it out
(Thinks about it)

Shit, you're right. Okay that IS weird now.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:45 AM
Mystery City

Prologue still plays on the title screen where the shimmering Amano logo resides. It just doesn't loop to the attract mode.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:48 AM
Find Your Reason

Only explanation is that, since the attract mode was an FMV file, they didn't want to replay all of its individual clips in HD and edit the video all over again.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:07 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peklo View Post
My "they changed it!!!" gripe is the bestiary. The unique renders of each creature aren't there anymore, instead replaced by a rotatable 3D model. I love those models dearly, but I'm already meeting them in the game, so... It slightly lessens the impression of the bestiary as a written and read tome, which was one of the high points of the entire game for me.
OH NO

THIS IS BAD

:C :C :C

(i still can't wait to play though)
Old 07-11-2017, 09:09 AM
mellow dramatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
well, you have the Item Lore augments that increase potion healing, MP charges from Ethers, Phoenix Down revival HP, and the status ailments that Remedies heal. Yes, Curaga will always be more powerful, but a Hi-Potion used by someone with all of the Potion Lores will also restore a lot of HP, and it's much faster. managing charge times is prettry critical in higher level battles in FFXII.

This is actually going to be really important in Zodiac Age, since not everyone is going to have access to Esuna/Cure magic. Archers get all of the Item Lores so they can be good item healers in a pinch, especially with the Pheasant Netsuke which doubles item potency.
All true! Maybe I understated the matter a bit, but even on my 'no buying items' run I never came close to using up my stock of healing items. The longstanding dynamic is that you heal with spells if you can, and use items if that's a problem for whatever reason. I don't think either version of FFXII changes that substantially.

Now buffs and debuffs, I can understand that being a sticking point. A boss that only uses physical attacks is vulnerable to Blind? What does that even mean
Old 07-11-2017, 09:16 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Only explanation is that, since the attract mode was an FMV file, they didn't want to replay all of its individual clips in HD and edit the video all over again.
Yup, this is likely what happened. Probably what happened with the bestiary art, too - too low res in the PS2 and they didn't have or couldn't bother rescanning the originals in HD.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:50 AM
jiggery-pokery

Even if they had included the attract mode in this version, I probably would have seen it just a few times ... because on a PS4 I can just suspend my game and start it up exactly where I left off.

As far as jobs go, I made Vaan a monk and Penelo a black mage without much thought at all, but when I got to Balthier I had kind of a crisis. Balthier is awesome, I want him to be able to do everything. Eventually I just shoved him into Machinist because he has two entrance points to that license board, and I'm still wondering if I made a mistake. Fran got archer.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:24 AM
Highway To HFIL

Did they fix whatever was up with the grammar in the bestiary?
Old 07-11-2017, 10:24 AM
Fifth Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by chady View Post
Even if they had included the attract mode in this version, I probably would have seen it just a few times ... because on a PS4 I can just suspend my game and start it up exactly where I left off.

As far as jobs go, I made Vaan a monk and Penelo a black mage without much thought at all, but when I got to Balthier I had kind of a crisis. Balthier is awesome, I want him to be able to do everything. Eventually I just shoved him into Machinist because he has two entrance points to that license board, and I'm still wondering if I made a mistake. Fran got archer.
I've heard...HEARD, HAVE NOT PERSONALLY CONFIRMED OR ANYTHING...that ironically, from a very strict min-max type of mindset, Balthier is the worst character to give guns to and Fran is the worst character to give a bow to because their weapon animations for their respective signature weapons have more flourish and showmanship and thus take slightly longer than other characters using those same guns and bows, and over the space of a long battle this could technically add up into a one-way ticket to Disadvantage City.

But more importantly, it's ultimately not that big of a deal. I read a quote from one of the creators where a big part of the reasoning behind NOT letting characters change jobs or anything was so that players would just stick with their choices and not second-guess themselves. The game is entirely beatable and entirely fun no matter what exact choices you make; heck, the unlockable hard difficulty thing doesn't let you level up AT ALL, so if everything can be done in that state let the fact that you've already made a technically sub-optimal choice be freeing. NEVER LOOK BACK.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:33 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Supposedly it's also sub-optimal to use every class without doubling up, but come on. Of course I'm going to use every class.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:33 AM
beech i told u

My roommate has this.

He's playing it.

BUT I WANT TO PLAY IT.

I never played Vanilla FFXII. But I did play IZJS on PS2. It was glorious, and it was part of the reason I built a PC back in the day for PCSX2. And now on PS4 it looks so much better now.

I wanna play it
Old 07-11-2017, 10:34 AM
Binglebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleck View Post
Did they fix whatever was up with the grammar in the bestiary?
There was nothing wrong with the grammar in the bestiary. It was meant to read like a dry, mannered text.

Now I know why so many gamers think Symphony of the Night's localization was a "lmao epic fail" and not a stylistic choice.

Tags
final fantasy , final fantasy xii , rereleases , square enix , twelve job fiesta , yasumi matsuno