The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 06-20-2017, 03:33 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
platform games were basically the zombie or first person shooter games of their era.
Very true, though at least with platformers you were much more likely to find a game with its own flavor of visual design...whether it's Coke or Pepsi or R.C. or some generic store brand swill. Like, you ain't gonna mistake Jak & Daxter for Dr. Muto.

FPSes and zombie games usually tend to be a lot more homogenous.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:39 PM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

Can we not do Legend of Kay
Old 06-20-2017, 03:40 PM

No now we have to play it it's DS version and its anniversary remaster.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:42 PM

Ohhh, I see how this works.

Well then, we better be sure to play "Haven: Call of the King"
Old 06-20-2017, 03:44 PM

Not until its promised trilogy is complete.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:03 PM
Ancient Nameless Hero

You could play Vexx instead.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:05 PM

Ballistic: Vexx vs Scaler

I apologize I'm ruining this thread I'll stop now.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:13 PM
Ancient Nameless Hero

Haven: Call of the King and Vexx were both games I constantly saw in stores, and there were a few times I was actually slightly tempted, with how low the price got and how badly I wanted to play something -- anything -- new. I was always like, "Maybe........... Nah."

Still ever-so-slightly curious, though.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:15 PM

Realtalk: Vexx isn't terrible, it's rough and very 12 year old edgy, but it has some interesting ideas and some solid levels. Haven's just kinda unfocused and bad.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:16 PM

Hey, what's wrong with Legend of Kay? I quite enjoyed the PS2 version. (DS game is trash, though.)
Old 06-20-2017, 04:34 PM
Ancient Nameless Hero

Speaking of PS2 mascot platformers, I really need to give that Jak and Daxter collection I bought a few uears ago a spin.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:34 PM
The metal babble flees!

Ty the Tasmanian tiger*, Wallace and Gromit... and how about Whiplash? Can't remember if that was a platformer or more of a brawler.

*finished and almost completed the first, hated the second.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:02 PM
Come, noble knights!

Default But seriously though I've considered getting it in past PSN sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Hey, what's wrong with Legend of Kay?
Shun did things to madhair.

Unspeakable things.

Pic swiped from Live From PlayStation's PS SHARE gallery.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood View Post
Ty the Tasmanian tiger*, Wallace and Gromit... and how about Whiplash? Can't remember if that was a platformer or more of a brawler.

*finished and almost completed the first, hated the second.
Whiplash is a platformer, it's actually kinda metroid lite.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:21 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Kind of funny--I mentioned in passing having bought Malice for a dollar. I actually bought 3 games. Malice, Scaler, and Dr. Muto.

Scaler was actually a very fun little surprise. It ripped off the rail-riding sequences from Sonic Adventure/Ratchet and Clank with gusto, but was still a fun ride it and of itself. I remember it be a fun little romp. I also had been lucky enough to play it on the original Xbox through component cables. To this day, it isn't backwards compatible on 360. Looked really great, IMO, with lots of fireflies and bright colors.

Dr. Muto had amusing cutscenes, I'll give it that. Game was pretty fun for an hour or so before it got repetitive. I'm kind of amazed the Best Brains didn't sue over the main character's likeness.

A few other notable ones from the PS2/Xbox era.

Kya: Dark Lineage
was a vastly underrated game. It's closest to being a Jak and Daxter clone, but that's mainly in the art style. It plays like a 3D platformer/beat 'em up with Metroidvania-style backtracking available as you gain new abilities. It's also one of the few 3D platformers I'm aware of where you can flash kick a werewolf.

Ruff Trigger sucks. Don't bother with it.

Muppet Monster Adventure
on PS1 is secretly a great little Spyro the Dragon clone. My best bud told me about it, and I thought "yeah yeah, it's probably kind of similar but I doubt it's very high quality." Shockingly, other than a weird move where you hold down a trigger to auto-run, everything else is shockingly pretty well polished for a licensed PS1 platformer based on the Muppets, at a time where they were kind of not more than a blip on the nostalgia culture radar. Definitely recommended if you liked the little purple dragon but were disappointing he didn't get much decent in terms of games after the PS1 era.

I played some of Legend of Kay. Seemed a below-average game even for the era. It reminded me a little of Kingsley's Adventure, which I remember only for the game's camera being really weird in that the main character would turn their head with it. So you routinely ended up in situations where the head would rotate completely around like he was possessed by Pazuzu.

Last edited by Andrew; 06-20-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:42 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Back on topic, I've played some more Aero the Acrobat 2. While I'm still enjoying it, it did kind of blow its early good will. Despite clearing up a lot of the mistakes of the first game, it came up with a bunch of whole new ones.

-There are enemies that just POP UP in your path as you walk/run, making them virtually impossible to avoid unless you memorize the level or take...it...painfully...slow.

-Invincible enemies that wait at the top of slopes, roll down at you, and when they crash into a wall, scatter debris that travels VERY far and can hit you for damage.

-There are breakable floors that you have to use the downward drill on, that lets you get bonus items and power ups that you can't get to normally. The only problem is--there is no way to tell which ones they are. I never even knew there were breakable floors until I just happened to randomly down-drill.

-There are lots of power ups that are placed just barely out of reach, that I have no idea how the hell you possibly get. Some of them may be via breakable floors, but since many of them don't seem to be below any areas you can travel to, hell if I know. Some of them are above enemies, and down-drilling will bounce you up, letting you reach it or be in range to up-drill to it, but only a few of them have enemies near them.

-The down-drill move should be more useful than it is, but enemies tend to hop up and down and up and down at a height and speed that makes it extremely difficult to actually jump above them without taking damage. So the mechanic seems mostly useless.

-The first real boss of the game takes an insane number of hits to beat. Something like 15, I think.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:04 AM

Legend of Kay started really slow, but I thought it got a lot better as it progressed. It was probably a mistake to start it with the slow-paced village area with all the tutorializing.

I have always heard good things about Kya. I remember a magazine, I think PSM, giving it a sky-high score, but it was apparently pretty much ignored.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:50 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Speaking of PS2 mascot platformers, I really need to give that Jak and Daxter collection I bought a few uears ago a spin.
That's like how, after downloading FIFA 17, I glanced at my list and remembered that I've had the Sly Cooper games waiting for download since... shit, the PSN hacking compensation?
Old 06-21-2017, 05:40 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

I've heard mixed things on the Jak and Daxter Collection. I had played the PS3 version, which had a number of sound glitches, so I passed on getting it. The vita version apparently don't run too well. There's supposedly going to be a re-release on PS4 (not a full remaster, just the PS2 games. Is there a name for the PS2 classics that are only on PS4 that are supposed to run in HD?

I can vouch for the Sly Cooper Collection for PS3 being good, though.

Oh, and slight correction to earlier comments.

Quote:
Awesome Possum brings nothing remotely new to the table. The environmental angle was honestly already in Sonic, just more subtle. It's just a bad copy of Sonic that screams at you all the time.
You can disable the speech. It doesn't completely shut AP up--he still says stuff at checkpoints, but still eliminates almost all of it.

Also, there is something that I think was new to the game. Sort of.

I found one fun aspect of Awesome Possum I overlooked, and even Tengen knew it was cool because they put it on the cover the game: you can ride a friggin' rhinoceros and murder any sorry fool in your path. You can't really control it, though. You just aim it left or right. When you jump off it launches you high into the air.

Then Donkey Kong Country came out the following year, and did it better.

Last edited by Andrew; 06-21-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:53 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
I've heard mixed things on the Jak and Daxter Collection. I had played the PS3 version, which had a number of sound glitches, so I passed on getting it.
Huh. If they weren't able to fix the HD versions, I guess that probably explains why they're getting straight PS2 to PS4 rereleases instead of just another HD boxed set.

Quote:
There's supposedly going to be a re-release on PS4 (not a full remaster, just the PS2 games. Is there a name for the PS2 classics that are only on PS4 that are supposed to run in HD?
They're just called PS2 on PS4 games. Or at least they were until Sony got rid of their specific page on the shop. There's still PS2 games being released on PS4, they just don't have their own specific heading and page on the PSN shop anymore.

Anyway, PS2 on PS4 games are basically designed to look nicer on HDTVs, but they aren't massive overhauls of the games. Think of them less like remasters and more like the Xbox 360 versions of those late multiplatform PS2 games. Less Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition on PS4 and more Tomb Raider: Anniversary on 360.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:35 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

So, an upscale, basically. I have heard that they also may run at smoother frame rates, though.

Oh, but back on topic--Aero the Acrobat 2 is beaten!! I'm surprised that this game had an increased emphasis on plot, with cutscenes detailing what was going on between levels. We get to see some of Aero's friends and his fellow Acrobats. We get the see the horrific-looking femme fetale Batasha. Aero meets up with a mad scientist, fights an evil clone of himself, and finds out everything he was going through up until now was a plan for world domination by a maniacal puppet master who is obviously Ektor. We even get flavor text setting up the Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel spinoff.

So overall, how did I like Aero 2? Well, the game still has several nagging issues that pop up after the first few levels. The game's central mechanic often makes platforming a bit frustrating. The game, much like the original, wants you to use the drill move as a double jump, but since it has that baked-in movement forward, you have to often pre-compensate by using it early, and smaller platforms are often tricky to land on from a distance.

The bosses are aaaaaall matter of bullshit, taking way too many hits Honestly, some of the worst boss encounters I can remember playing at a while. It seems like they're solely designed to chew through as many lives as possible. Since you only get your new password after beating the boss, you could easily go through 3 acts of a world, be sailing along just fine, and get crushed by a tough boss battle. You actually respawn during the boss battle, so all damage you landed in your prior life still stands. It *still* is hard when you have to hit a boss a couple dozen times or better, though. Terrible, terrible design choice, IMO.

Passwords are a feature, but the implementation is very lazy. You just get 3 lives when you use it. However, playing the early levels, you should rack up way more lives through normal play, and *way, way* more lives from being thorough with exploration. So states would be recommended if only so you could keep your lives for the tougher parts (i.e. boss battles).

So while it isn't quite as a good overall package as the GBA Aero, it is far, far above the original 16-bit releases, and a pretty fun time for a skilled retro gamer in for a challenge.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:28 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

I've played a bit more of the original SNES Aero. Nothing really changing my opinion on it, it but it seems like the game's difficulty doesn't have much of a smooth, upward curve, and the GBA version generally handled that aspect better.

There are these rocket rides in one of the Fun Park levels that are reeelly fast. The GBA version toned it down. The GBA version also has better tells for when you are hitting the boss.

Some random trivia: The original Aero was released on the Super Famicom under its original title/cover art, but the GBA one was re-localized under the name "Acrobat Kid" and had new cover art. The extremely ugly and dated computer render cover was replaced with a kawaii new anime rendition that makes him look more like he was from the Sonic universe. The actual in-game graphics are unchanged, though.

The full Acrobat Kid box art (that my new av is from), as well as a lot over great info as an overview for the games, can be found here. Unsurprisingly, even creator Siller acknowledges the original Aero's difficulty was pretty screwed up and was glad to have more time to complete the sequel. He also contends Aero wasn't designed as a Sonic knockoff, but rather was "coincidence of his coming out just happen to coincide with the natural market dynamics of the time."

Anyway, Aero...or at least, the GBA port and the sequel, was a pleasant surprise to kick things off. Up next, though...
Old 06-25-2017, 02:37 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Alex Kidd and the Enchanted Castle (Sega Genesis/Megadrive)
OR
Alternate: Alex Kidd in Miracle World (Sega Master System)
6/26-7/2

Sega's first mascot, and arguably one of the more influential titles for European platformers has...been in some games. His first game on Sega Master System, Miracle World, is generally regarded the best, but has a number of issues--such as the use of Janken for fighting bosses (all the worse considering your limited lives).

Sega could have refined this for a great sequel. They instead used him for some rather unconvential follow-ups and cameos. While we did get a fun game in ...Shinobi World, Hi-Tech World and Lost Stars were pretty meh.

Enchanted Castle was more in the Miracle World mold, but, well, had improved little beyond the graphics, and doubled down on the Janken. So, I will be personally abusing the hell out of states to play this one, without the least bit of shame. It is, at least, the best light in which the game may be played.

However, comparison with its direct ancestor I would suspect will be enlightening.

Last edited by Andrew; 06-25-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:27 AM
Come, noble knights!

While it has issues (in particular the obtuse process to get info you need for the endgame, and then the instructions for the final puzzle not being localized*), in many ways I'd consider Alex Kidd in Miracle World the superior game. The punch has better range, you don't have a crappy midair kick, you can buy up to three different items from stores instead of trying to win one specific item from an asshole gorilla, and the Janken system memory's busted so you can cheese it with GameFAQs.

Really, all Enchanted Castle has over Miracle World is that you can use purchased vehicles more or less whenever and wherever you want instead of being forced in the driver's seat immediately after buying them. Well, that and no ratchet scrolling. Other than that, it's a really poor attempt at making a proper Miracle World sequel and an incredibly fugly Genesis game.

I know, it was a Year One release in Japan. But it still came out like three months after the MD port of Altered Beast, which would be the Genesis pack-in before Sonic the Hedgehog came along.

* The solution's meant to be read top to bottom, from right to left. Like Japanese scripture.

Last edited by MetManMas; 06-26-2017 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:17 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Yeah, Enchanted Castle doesn't bring much new to the table other than the new item system, and, well, bigger sprites. While it's better than trying to go off and do something totally different, what EC needed was a refinement of the formula. Instead, it kind of went backwards in many respects. Why the hell would you put *more* janken in?

It is kind of interesting that the signature platformer series for Nintendo and Sega actually kind of clash with their house style. Nintendo is generally known for more complex, longer-form games. Yet, Mario was born in the arcade and Super Mario Bros. has a timer, is fairly straightforward, and you basically run left to right with little exploration.

Sega built their reputation on their arcade games, and arguably their longevity has taken a hit because a lot of their franchises and classics are arcade games that haven't translated into the modern era (or haven't translated well).

However, Miracle World and Enchanted Castle encourage exploration and looking high and low and isn't arcade-like at all (aside from "moving right and punching things along the way"). While a completely different team and designers, the Sonic series also does that, too. While the speed was always the selling point, Sonic levels frequently are so big they have at least two pathways through the levels. The Mario series didn't really have much focus on exploration except for spinoffs (Wario and Yoshi's Island) until it went 3D.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:30 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

So, after playing Enchanted Castle and Miracle World, both, I can now, definitively, say that I don't much like Alex Kidd games all that much.

Fresh off Miracle World, it gets respect points for doing a few things that probably weren't really seen much or at all in platformers. Collecting money and using it to spend on items in a shop? That's pretty inventive for 1986. The use of vehicles (optionally) in areas to get past otherwise extremely tricky sequences, and actually using them feels really quite good? Very nice. Having more than just a few bustable blocks, but lots of them, allowing you to find hidden items and/or carve out your own path in certain areas? Also very nice.

Janken, and virtually everything else associated with it in this series? Oh, go straight to Jigoku. It's pretty much the biggest millstone around the series' neck, while also being one of its most defining characteristics. There are a small minority of retro game fans who would like to see a new Alex Kidd game, but most of what made those games unique has made their way into other games and series, and what wasn't (Janken), no one would want to include anyway. A theoretical new game could put in a bonus round between levels, but otherwise that would be about it.

So, I respect the games more for what they brought to the table than that they actually are today, but they're still very challenging, and if you aren't too frustrated at being screwed over by random chance, you could still have a lot of fun with them.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:56 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

From onigiri/hamburgers on to...chicken.

Game for week of July 3-July 9

Alfred Chicken/Super Alfred Chicken/Alfred's Adventure

Available on: Amiga, Amiga CD32, NES, Game Boy, Super NES, PlayStation, Game Boy Color (as Alfred's Adventure)

Alfred Chicken
comes to us from the UK, which was obvious to me even as a kid, because virtually no one actually goes by the name "Alfred" aside from British guys--most opting for the nickname Al. I remember it getting mostly average reviews, and found it weird that it was getting released on so many platformers (even the NES, which was pretty odd for 1994). I don't know how well it actually did in North America, but I'm assuming not well--because 1994 was just a jam packed year for games, and for the very image-focused marketing that went on in North America at the time, Alfred looked like a pretty generic, bargain-basement kiddie platformer.

Playing a little of it out for testing purposes, it seems a pretty decent, fun, simple platformer. Also, it quite famously got a bad rap for being featured in a Game Grumps episode where it was not positively represented.

Well, good, bad, or just mediocre--let's give it a shake and see how it actually holds up? Or I will, anyway. :P

(FYI it appears that the PlayStation version likely was just released in Europe, naturally. Not to be confused with Mort the Chicken, which is completely unrelated.)
Old 07-02-2017, 09:42 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Let's Play Waiting For Moving Platforms Game

If you couldn't tell Alfred Chicken is British by the name, the very first thing that you see on the first screen of the first level is a cartoon moon that just... seems so very English. Something about the way the eyes are drawn, I guess.

Having played as far as level 7, aggressively mediocre is the best description I can think of. There's just not a whole lot of game to play here.

(I'm playing the SNES version, but with so many ports I can't imagine all of them are the same.)
Old 07-03-2017, 02:44 AM

Alfred Chicken is good. The levels need to be explored thoroughly to collect the watering cans, obviously. SNES version is best for that because you can revisit levels I believe.

Game Grumps, more like Lame Chumps. They're the crytallised essence of all that is wrong with the modern gaming community (except for the misogyny, natch, which is much worse). Take the most inoffensive, perfectly decent old games and scream about how objectively baaaaad they are for three hours. The worst. The absolute pits. The very abyss. The apotheosis of all that is patience-testing wank.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:27 AM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
There are a small minority of retro game fans who would like to see a new Alex Kidd game, but most of what made those games unique has made their way into other games and series, and what wasn't (Janken), no one would want to include anyway.
The games were only separated by about a month, but Kid Icarus felt pretty similar to Alex Kidd in a number of ways. The ratchet scrolling, the shops where you buy various items, the dungeon levels, the protagonist being a goofy-looking short haired boy...

Tags
fractured furry tales , gamespite unfun club , let's go bub(sy) , mascot masochism , terribly vexxed