The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 06-11-2017, 09:46 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Default Talking Time plays (mostly) cute platformers from the mascot era

So yeah, that happened. In any case, with Yooka Laylee's release and Bubsy coming back, lots of people are talking about the propensity of games in the 90s/early 00s to put a (usually) cute-ish, usually anthropomorphic animal, "mascot" into a game usually about jumping around and stomping on things. You know, to ride the trend established by Mario and Sonic.

Anyway, lots of us grew up and played these games, or still play them from time to time. For those of us don't usually revisit them, we often go by memories. Often foggy, often a decade or two ago, and when we generally had less understanding of game design (but maybe better reflexes). So we probably either liked bad games or got frustrated with good games. We've often disagreed about the quality of them, or lack thereof.

Well, I'm thinking it might be interesting to actually go back and try to give some of them a fair shake. The ones that everyone plays and loves constantly aside. Then post your thoughts and feedback.

So some suggestions:

1. Try to play like this is your "weekend rental." So more than just running a ROM and giving up after 5 minutes. Try to learn the mechanics, the quirks, and see if there's something you're missing. Usually these games won't really require any outside help or strategy guides, but no problem using them.

2. If at all possible, try to play the game as faithfully as possible. If you have original hardware/old TV, great. If not, that's fine too. If it's multiplatform or a re-release, mention that. If emulating, savescumming can take away from viewing the games in their original context, but save states to just come back and resume the game later is fine.

3. Try to note your initial impressions, and if they change at all as you keep playing.

Maybe a week is a bit excessive per game, but probably we all have backlogs we hit during the summer, anyway.

I'll try to suggest games alphabetically, but there were a lot of these things, so it's possible to miss. So if there's some sort of Aamy the Aardvark or something, lemme know.

Let's start with:

Aero the Acrobat
(Now-6/19ish?)

Oh, and if there's some one with a lot of experience with a game who could offer tips? That's great, too. Any suggestions on the best way to get the most out of Aero the Acrobat, madhair? Since I remember I really sucked at it.

-----------
UPDATE: Current game as of 07/17, up until 07/23:

Astal (Saturn).

B.O.B. 7/31 to 8/6
Bonk's Adventure /Alternate: Bonk's Revenge 08/07 to 08/13
Boogerman: A Pick and Flick Adventure 08/14 to 08/20
Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind 08/21 to 08/27

UPCOMING:

08/28-09/03 (No Game Specified)
09/04-09/10 Chakan: The Forever Man
09/11-09/17 Chuck Rock (Alt: Chuck Rock II: The Son of Chuck)
09/18-09/24 Clockwork Knight (Alt: Clockwork Knight 2)
09/25-10/01 Comix Zone

Last edited by Andrew; 08-27-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:04 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Played some of the SNES version via Wii with Classic Controller Pro.

Initial impressions:

Great visuals and overall look. For a purported "Sonic clone" doesn't have much to do with Sonic. Although that includes some of the strength of Sonic.

Aero has a walk speed that is initially very sluggish, but he speeds up *really* fast. He can't jump on enemies to defeat them. He has a drill attack to attack diagonally upwards or diagonally downwards. So it isn't to easy to play the game fast and loose. The diagonal-up version somewhat acts like a double jump. You can pick up stars to use as projectiles, but they are rare.

There's also a recurring enemy that is really annoying to fight. Looks a bit like Ektor or at least has similar makeup. He can block your attacks and it seems like you only have a few narrow windows to damage him. Ifhe blocks you, you take no damage, but he also has projectiles.

The game has one hit kill spikes, which honestly has ate the overwhelming majority of lives lost for me. There's also flaming hoops I believe you should be able to dive through, but so far except for an instance where I was fired out of a cannon through it, it kills me instantly. The game also has parts where firing yourself out of a cannon will sent you into spikes in the ceiling, and a instant death. You have to hit the jump button while a meter goes up and down to determine how powerful you'll be shot out. By blind luck, I found out you can hold up to make it speed up, too.

So far the worst aspect of the game are those spikes. They're everywhere. In my initial few runs, I got to Act 3 of the beginning world, and had about 10 lives I'd built up go kaput, because I had to jump from a trapeze to another one, and I couldn't quite do it. I couldn't see the next trapeze from the first one, so I had to take a blind leap, and I simply couldn't grab it. It's no DKC or SCIV in that regard, to be sure.

Exclusive to the SNES, version, I assume, was a Pilotwings-esque skydiving bonus round where the screen rotates in mode 7 while you fall through rings. Was doing okay on it, until at the very end the screen stopped scaling downward and I fell just short of the tank of water. Note to self for next time--gotta nail that final ring at all costs.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:56 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Whether bad timing with E3 or general lack of interest, it seems I'm the only one playing. Ah well. I still plan on revisiting many of these games, so I'll probably just chronicle my experiences here anyway.

I've been playing a bunch of SNES platformers, and I seem to be seeing a common thread with a lot of the knock-offs/clones that didn't really garner much attention. More than one, but a particularly noticeable one: lack of variety in the look of the levels.

Aero the Acrobat has 4 zones in it, each one divided into Acts. A little like Sonic, sure. So the "Circus" zone, the part that you'll play first, that is going to give you all your first impressions, the part may be the only zone most people who play the game ever see. Does it have 2 acts? No. 3? No. Four? NO! FIVE?! The answer is 5 acts and then a boss. Same with the second zone, the Fun Park.

Imagine if you played Sonic 3 and it was actually the first Sonic game made. Imagine you didn't play Angel Island first, but Carnival Night was first. Imagine all of the annoying circus music and whatnot. Now imagine it isn't a mere two acts, but five. Now imagine it being as successful as the Sonic games actually were. No? Thought not.

I've only played a little bit of Aero the Acrobat 2, and while I plan to spend more time with it later, it already is winning me over with better controls and more appealing opening levels (even if they have a similar theme).
Old 06-15-2017, 10:06 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

I rented Aero when it was new, and the only thing I remember about it was a roller coaster level that made me pine for the days of the Battletoads turbo tunnel.

Replaying it again now that I am old, there are just way too goddamn many instant-kills... but you said that already.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:06 PM
Definitely not a werewolf

I don't really have time to do this myself right now, but this is a very cool idea for a topic.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:49 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by R^2 View Post
Replaying it again now that I am old, there are just way too goddamn many instant-kills... but you said that already.
Yup, it's positively spiketacular.

I think a lot of game devs back then were pressured to make games harder because of worries of the game rental market. If kids beat games on a rental, they surely wouldn't buy them, right? Yet, most of the enduring classics from that era actually aren't terribly difficult, or only really ramp up in the endgame.

Neat little piece of trivia: the creator of Aero the Acrobat is also head designer and producer of the original Crash Bandicoot!
Old 06-18-2017, 03:36 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by R^2 View Post
I rented Aero when it was new, and the only thing I remember about it was a roller coaster level that made me pine for the days of the Battletoads turbo tunnel.
Gueeess wheeere I stoooopped playing?

Aero the Acrobat (SNES)
Played up: to Funpark (Zone 2, Act 2)

Well, I've nowhere come close to beating the game (I didn't expect to), but I thought I would, at least, come out of it with strong feelings, one way or the other. Well, not really.

I don't hate the game. I don't love it, either. I find it a bit frustrating, but not in that "one more go at it," kind of way. Aero the Acrobat kind of just leaves me feeling ambivalent.

Anyway, starting with the positive. The circus theme is, initially, quite cool and the main character/pun is interesting. The ability to fly being present is nice, but the fact that it is so limited--either by using a time limited power-up (that is canceled once you land), or allowing you to hover in air for a second (the purpose of this ability is lost on me) makes it seem like a wasted opportunity. Designing the game with an ability to at least let you glide would have made sense. But that would be silly. Aero is a bat, not a bobcat/lynx.

The game is, well, certainly colorful. Often obnoxiously so. In general, the level design seems to be a mess of various types of squares and rectangles, stuck together with a hell of a lot of spikes. As mentioned, the first 5 acts all look pretty much the same (because they're part of a single zone), and by the time things start to change, the game's already getting even harder.

Now, to mitigate the game's difficulty, it has checkpoints, and they are quite generous. Also, enemies don't respawn when you die unless you use a continue. However, the game also features a mission-esque structure where you have to do more than get from the beginning to the end of the level. You usually need to make x numbers of star platforms disappear, go through y number of hoops, or hit z number of switches. Not all in the same level--just one list of tasks. However, if you missed a switch or platform, and you arrive at the end of the stage to find no warp...well, you have to go back. Sometimes this is extremely difficult to do. The tons of spikes, the difficult-to-use trapezes, the inability to see too far below where you are standing all make backtracking too much very difficult. There are some sections with turnstiles that do make it easy, if you know what you are looking for.

The game is a bit of an awkward flow of movement. You walk very, very slowly, and while you can ultimately move pretty fast, it is a very sudden jump in speed. So you end up with a very start/stop way of playing the game initially, so you don't careen headlong into an enemy.

The method of attacking is also a bit awkward. You can't land on enemies to kill them, and you don't have a butt stomp that you activate with a button. Instead, you have to use your drill move. For enemies on the ground, you basically have to use it mid-air when you're about 45 degrees in the air above an enemy. Several enemies will just shrug it off, taking no damage, and other times you'll take a hit in the process. In general, attacking them when they are facing away from you is the trick, but even that isn't 100% guaranteed. You have a number of hit points you can take before dying, thankfully.

As mentioned earlier, though, you'll probably lose most of your lives dying to hazards, not enemies. There are so, so, so many spikes, and so many ways to accidentally land on them. Frankly, it makes the game a bit of a chore to play.

However, there is a silver lining. There is a sequel. While I wanted to focus on the first game, what I've played of Aero the Acrobat 2 seems to take nearly every problem to heart and tries to fix them.

Zones are 3 acts, not 4-5 acts long.

Zones have way fewer spikes (that I've seen).

Spikes only take one hit point of damage instead of instant death.

Control is a lot more fluid; you walk faster and the flow into running is a lot more natural.

The drill still feels a bit weird to attack, but you have a downward drill attack that is good versus a lot of enemies.

Level designs are less of a bunch of rectangles stuck together. The first level seems like you're climbing through a giant wall, and enemies include big bugs. It wouldn't be out of place in a Mickey Mouse or Cool Spot game.

It has passwords!!

For better or worse, the "mission" structure has been abandoned for getting to the end of the stage.

Now, the game still may not be for everybody. The second zone is a snowboard stage (not one act, but 3 acts in a row), and I don't think the game actually gives you any sort of warning when certain hazards pop up (icicles, rocks, etc). It does have extra life opportunities, and in a dry run I still made it to the 3rd act, but I think it could have been better.

So, if you're curious about playing any Aero at all, Aero 2 is what I'd recommend for the casual/modern player or a fan of the Sonic style platform titles. It's a damn sight better than Bubsy II, to be sure.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:56 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

So, when I started this, I only had a very loose idea what characters/games to focus on. I kind of took it for granted how easily each one would fall into the category.

However, I've made a list, and now I'm a bit unsure. I end up asking two questions.
1. What makes a game a "mascot platformer"?
2. What window of time to use as a cutoff?

For the first one, I was initally thinking "Sonic clone," but there's only a few that are explicitly that. However, Sonic did inspire a number of other games that share some similarity, but he isn't necessary the cutoff, either.

In general, I'm going to go with the "I know it when I see it," rule. However, I'll just say that being an animal is optional. I'm going to say that it loosely involves a "focus on 'tude" and "the character was likely designed to be a mascot, or to be heavily marketed." While not a Sonic clone, Earthworm Jim was created to sell toys, be in a cartoon, and to be franchise. Mighty No. 9 would be a modern example. Basically, the game seemed to be a secondary concern. Now, when a game had a competent dev team (like EWJ), it could still come out well, but that was one of the exceptions.

Oh, and no pre-existing corporate mascots, with maybe a specific exception. Until recently, Mickey Mouse had more good games (and he still has fewer shite ones) than Sonic, but I wouldn't consider his games mascot platformers.

Last edited by Andrew; 06-19-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:34 PM
Come, noble knights!

Generally, as far as mascot platformers go, I consider the following:

1) Does it star an animal or human with a cartoony or semi-cartoony art style?
2) Does said character look particularly marketable as the star of their own comic or cartoon show?
3) Does the game have a big emphasis on platforming?
4) Is said platforming the primary focus of the gameplay, or is the focus on something else, like shooting things?
Old 06-18-2017, 10:36 PM

Default "Talking Time plays cute platformers from the mascot era"

Hey, this is a fun idea and I've got one of these that I could use an excuse to play sometime.

I'm going to admit that I only wandered in here because I thought this was the Bubsy thread related to the announcement. If possible, maybe switch to a more straightforward title?

(I'm not going to lie though, the mascot platformer theme isn't going to attract a ton of participation...)

~

As for what counts as a "mascot platformer", I think we are going to run into an underlying paradox caused by how the term has been used heavily by people who are categorizing games either without really playing them much or without having a desire to distinguish them. The usage of the term is thus very superficially driven, and the literal meaning doesn't offer any good boundary either. You might as well avoid using the term as a guide at all, and just embrace some specific arbitrary criteria for purposes of discussion.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:13 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
I don't really have time to do this myself right now, but this is a very cool idea for a topic.
I was out of town for the last week and a half, but this is a really cool idea!
Old 06-19-2017, 10:16 AM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

I only just saw this thread. Do-over please. To play a version of Aero that is acceptable you need to be playing the GBA port. It is far superior to the originals by virtue of spikes NOT killing you in one head (except New Game+)
Old 06-19-2017, 02:37 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Alright. Due to more interest than anticipated (I liked the title, but oh well, utility is king), restarting it to Aero another chance.

I hadn't thought of the GBA version, because it looked like it would be ruined by screen crunch. Most of the non-Nintendo SNES-to-GBA ports were pretty awful.

Apparently I can't edit the title, but I'll request a mod to do so.

6/19-6/25
Aero the Acrobat (GBA version recommended--per #1 Aero fan madhair, but also is on SNES and Genesis)
Alternate: Aero the Acrobat 2 (SNES/Genesis)

As mentioned above, Aero 2 also fixed the insta-kill spikes.

Last edited by Andrew; 06-19-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:49 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Oh, and despite the snarky tags, I think unquestionably awful piles of crap are not worth wasting time on here. The inspiration for the topic, Bubsy, is at least an interesting failure (and one we'll hit before the new game).

I wouldn't ask anyone to put any serious time into Awesome Possum. However, there are overlooked games that just got bad raps or suffered guilt by association. That's worth exploring.

EDIT: Thanks for the thread rename, Kishi!
Old 06-19-2017, 02:56 PM
Peter Parker's Webcam

I agree (I'm the 'gamespite unfun club' and 'mascot masochism' tagger, for those wondering). Few things are more interesting to me than failures that do something interesting, especially given the stagnation that regularly occurs in this industry (though, admittedly, in many ways Bubsy is as much a product of that stagnation as Battlefield Infinity: War is Hell...of Fun! is); examining yesterday's evolutionary dead-ends for ideas that were underappreciated and ought to be reconsidered is an important part of developing criticism for the medium for that reason.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:30 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

It's cool. I figured it was all in good fun. I think a big reason for the trend of Sonic clones was probably companies being a bit gunshy on copying Mario. After Great Giana Sisters got C&Ded, probably other companies wanted to try to be a little less blatant if they were making similar games. It's kind of tricky to do that when nearly every 2D platformer after Super Mario Bros. had some Mario DNA in it, though.

However, I think they looked Sega and Sonic, and assumed Sega might be a little less litigious--or they would try to make their money before finding out. It seems they were right.

That also might explain why many of these games tried to implement a lot of weird mechanics for attacking enemies.

Also, while it may not be a direct inspiration, or even the first game to feature such a mechanic--Bubsy's unique thing was the gliding attack. First Bubsy was 1993. When Sonic 3 came out, and later was expanded upon with Sonic & Knuckles, Knux' main mechanic was....hmm.

Awesome Possum brings nothing remotely new to the table. The environmental angle was honestly already in Sonic, just more subtle. It's just a bad copy of Sonic that screams at you all the time.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:30 PM

I remember enjoying Aero the Acrobat on a rental (possibly its sequel), so maybe I'll try giving it a revisit for this. Are you going to mind though if we want to play and comment here about platformers that aren't the recommend one of the week? I like having the excuse to play games that I've put down on a list to try out sometime, but I don't want to petition them to be a game of the week. Like, I don't even want to hold myself to play them for more than one session, but I can see myself narrowing them down and committing to the better ones.

Last edited by dosboot; 06-19-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:37 PM

High Seas Havoc needs to enter the running too
Old 06-19-2017, 03:40 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosboot View Post
I remember enjoying Aero the Acrobat on a rental (possibly its sequel), so maybe I'll try giving it a revisit for this. Are you going to mind though if we want to play and comment here about platformers that aren't the recommend one of the week? I like having the excuse to play games that I've put down a list to try out sometime, but I don't want to petition them to be a game of the week. Like, I don't even want to hold myself to play them for more than one session, but I can see myself narrowing them down and committing to the better ones.
I was going to hit a bunch of them alphabetically, basically. Doing so I figure would make the discussion more focused, if we're all on the same page.

However, I don't mind if you otherwise. Although, you could always play stuff now and comment later, too. I've been playing other games that I know will come up in the list later, but I was flipping through them because yeah, sticking with one at a time could sometimes be frustrating.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:42 PM

I demand Time Dominator 1st and refuse to acknowledge any other title it may have gone by in regions that were not Japan.

My most salient memory of Aero is heinous amounts of circus music and being surprised that it somehow received a spinoff. Might mess around with the various versions.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:51 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboymaster View Post
I demand Time Dominator 1st and refuse to acknowledge any other title it may have gone by in regions that were not Japan.

My most salient memory of Aero is heinous amounts of circus music and being surprised that it somehow received a spinoff. Might mess around with the various versions.

Socket
is, indeed, on the list.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:40 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Well, I played some of Aero the Acrobat: Rascal Rival Revenge for GBA.

The differences are...significant. It's far, far more than just spikes not insta-killing. Let's see if I can remember them all.

-There are actually *far fewer spikes* in the levels. Spikes in many of the earlier areas above cannons are gone. Some pits are now spikeless, or have platforms where previously there were only balloons.

-Enemies drop health frequently. I don't even remember them doing it at all in the original game.

-The character movement speed is much improved. The part where he goes into a slow walk at the start is removed. He immediately starts moving at a decent speed but never too fast that he is hard to control.

-Enemies that had invincibility frames and could damage me on recoil just die. They no longer block or shrug off the drill attack.

-I think when you jump from a high place you land further.

-You can use your wings float in midair *and* can move freely for a few seconds as well.

-Throwing stars give you more than one star per item picked up. I barely used them in the original game, and I barely noticed until I stopped playing, but that could make matters even simpler.

-The roller coaster stage in Fun Park now has a checkpoint, where you get off, hit a post, then can get back on to resume. You don't have to beat the level in one go. The overall stage is much easier as well. You no longer need to jump at the last split second to clear a gap.

-The high dive special stages are easier--you have more time after clearing the last ring to line up with the pool.

-It has a battery save, so your progress between acts is preserved.

The game may not have been so easy up to this point if I hadn't played it so extensively up until now, but the last parts of Funpark weren't altogether hard, either. I'm now on the second act of The Woods (3rd zone), with 30 lives in stock.

On the downside, the changes have taken a lot of the challenge out of the game. However, I think if this version had both the screen crunch *and* the original game's difficulty, it would be almost unplayable.

Most importantly, is the game more fun? Yes, yes it is.

I think it's a shame that we can't see more of the playfield--that would be the ultimate possible version of the game, but it's definitely a more fun and more playable version of the game.

Last edited by Andrew; 06-19-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:50 PM
Obtuse Ham

Is this just for 2D platformers or are 3D ones included as well?
Old 06-20-2017, 05:36 AM

Finishing the GBA Aero also unlocks New Game +, which while more difficult still isn't as challenging as the original!
Old 06-20-2017, 10:28 AM
The metal babble flees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refa View Post
I would hope so, since the mascot era carried over to the PS2 and OXBox.

If the answer is "yes," I'll have some suggestions as the alphabet goes by.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:08 PM

The original Xbox's late life is littered with the corpses of the platformers that MS greenlit pre-launch and then lost all faith in and sold off to other publishers, it's kind of tragic.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:03 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refa View Post
Just limiting the list to 2D and 16-bit already has about 30 or entries (even lumping together sequels with originals). Since that 16-bit titles are fairly easy to get ahold of/play, I wanted to generally stick with those. The 3D ones are also generally known quantities. Plus, they're a lot longer games than the 2D ones.

I considered 2D, 32-bit ones borderline cases, but some of those are simply going to be hard to get ahold of/play (most of the Saturn ones), or are fairly well known since the genre had fewer entries then. Gex 1 is a fairly competent title. Rayman is good but gets to be frustrating as hell circa Band Land. Johnny Bazookatone is less interesting than its soundtrack. Mr. Bones is a hodgepodge of questionable design choices with, again a great soundtrack. Astal and Clockwork Knight are stuck on the Saturn to this day, and there are various weird import games like Hermie Hopperhead, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboymaster View Post
The original Xbox's late life is littered with the corpses of the platformers that MS greenlit pre-launch and then lost all faith in and sold off to other publishers, it's kind of tragic.
I played one of the odder ones, Malice. It was the game with the punky redhead girl with a giant hammer. Originally, Gwen Steffani was to provide her voice. It started life as an ambitious original Playstation title that was to be a twisted take on Alice in Wonderland (get it?). Whether or not American McGee's Alice had anything to do with, it kind of lingered in development hell before the presumed Xbox revamping. The game came out. In 2004. With honestly almost nothing of note. I actually got it used for $1 at a Gamestop sale. Most of the game is just so sad and dead in a way I've rarely seen outside of, well, the later levels of Duke Nukem Forever. It's also extremely short.

Last edited by Andrew; 06-20-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:09 PM
The metal babble flees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Just limiting the list to 2D and 16-bit already has about 30 or entries (even lumping together sequels with originals).
Too bad! Well, I'd have grist for the mill if I should decide to start a 3D project with a similar theme at some point. Probably not 30 titles' worth though.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:10 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Oh, I beat GBA Aero!

Honestly, most of the finale stages were easier in many ways--as they were generally more straightforward than the earlier stages. With the exception of the stage where you had to headbutt a bunch of walls to make your way through. However, by the time I reached Ektor, I had 50 lives stocked. Still, it would have been a different story if they kept in the instant-kills.

So overall, I quite enjoyed my time with *this* version of Aero. I'll be looking forward to playing more of the sequel, now.

Oh, and interesting how Aero has no qualms about pushing his enemy off the tower at the end of the game to a presumed messy, splatty death. Zero saved him, yes, but that's cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Finishing the GBA Aero also unlocks New Game +, which while more difficult still isn't as challenging as the original!
I'll keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood View Post
Too bad! Well, I'd have grist for the mill if I should decide to start a 3D project with a similar theme at some point. Probably not 30 titles' worth though.
I may vet some of them out, but yeah--it's ridiculous how many of them came out in a span of about 4-5 years. However, platform games were basically the zombie or first person shooter games of their era.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood View Post
I promise you I can pad out this list to 30 titles without even thinking very hard about it even if half of them end up having names like "Evil Twin: Cyprien's Chronicles" and "Tork: Prehistoric Punk". Later 3D mascot platformers traded a lot of talking animals out for scrappy young kids or pseudo-orphans, but their deeper soul remains clear.

Tags
fractured furry tales , gamespite unfun club , let's go bub(sy) , mascot masochism , terribly vexxed