The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 01-16-2017, 08:59 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

Default Let's Die Before It Was Cool: A LttP Demon's Souls Thread

Got to know where you been before you know where you're going. First impressions soon.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:01 PM
Come, noble knights!

I wish this was on PS Now. =(
Old 01-16-2017, 09:12 PM
Not A Low-Level Life Form

Demon's Souls is super good. It's both easier and harder than other Souls games, and it's definitely the least scrutable. Good luck!
Old 01-16-2017, 09:24 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

It has an instruction manual? What kind of weenie shit is this?
Old 01-16-2017, 09:35 PM
is Earnest

Demon's Souls was a revelation to me as far as games go, and there's still a lot about it that I love. The music and dialogue are *kisses fingers*

Some of the mechanics haven't aged well, especially the weapon upgrade mechanic. The skeletal structure of the series is there though, and it's lots of fun to play through. Magic is pretty OP amd you can get a ridiculous amount of stamina if you want. Lots of builds are viable, so find a weapon you like & go nuts.

Have fun!
Old 01-16-2017, 09:47 PM
Banned

Lots of builds are viable, but I had a lot more fun with my do-everything magic dex build than I did my str build back in the day. Easier, yeah. But also a whole lot less frustrating.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:30 PM
one zero zero one SOS

I've come to realize I enjoy this game more than Dark Souls 3. That game is obviously a Best-Of album of the Souls series and does just about everything well, but the world structure makes every playthrough feel similar (it's always High Wall > Settlement > Road of Sacrifices > and on).

I prefer the Duck Tales-like world selection of Demon's Souls that makes every new playthrough feel fresh in its own way. The more you master the game, the more unconventional routes through the game you can invent for yourself. After 1-1 it's all up to you!

Can't wait to see where this thread goes.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:58 AM
Chief Servbot

I think this is still the best Souls game. Incredible and consistent level design, the best lore, a wonderful sense of atmosphere. The score is sublime as well. I do wish they would try this game structure again sometime, but everyone loves the Metroidesque style too much. Oh well!
Old 01-17-2017, 02:11 AM
Thwomp Boyardee

Beat Phalanx and talked to the thing about the backstory. So far this game feels like a very rough draft of Dark Souls. The Boletarian Palace felt very much like the Painted World of Ariamis.

Obviously it's way too early to give any kind of verdict, but for intro areas Dark is better than Demon's.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:41 AM
It's all good, man

Demon's Souls is the worst Souls game and if it was the first thing I tried to play I think I would have given up on the series.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:43 AM
Sudden chomper

I played Dark Souls first and loved it, but I could never really got into Demon's Souls. I found that the stages were too hard, the bosses were too easy, you have too many possible directions to try for a first-time player and some of the levels were really unpleasant and visually repetitive. I didn't hate it, but after finished about 6 stages I just fell off and haven't wanted to go back to it, despite finally finding a weapon I really liked (the giant bloody cleaver thing whose name I forget).
Old 01-17-2017, 10:12 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
I played Dark SoulsDemon's Souls first and loved it, but I could never really got into Demon's SoulsDark Souls.
Maybe someday. The rest of the series is still on the to-do pile.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:20 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Demon's Souls is still, I think, my favourite in the series. It's rather different from its successors, most notably in its approach to level and boss design. The only thing I don't like about it is how its systems are even more obfuscated and awkward, but it's a relatively minor issue in the grand scheme of things.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:41 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Yeah, world/soul tendency was obtuse and awful, but it's a great game otherwise.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:10 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Demon's has the most inscrutable and insane systems in the series (even leveling up weapons is weirder than it needs to be), but it's also super duper easy in comparison to, say, BB or DS1. The levels are good and have a lot of "gotcha"-type stuff and weird pseudo-puzzle stuff, moreso than the other games IMO, but you'll be fine, Issun.

Almost all of the bosses are a joke, though, if you have experience with Souls games. I ragequit the game back in the day, and rebought the game and went back to my old save post-Dark Souls 2, and even with my messed up and ineffecient build, I still was able to blow through something like 50% to 25% of the game in one or two days.

It's a fun little experiment, and a solid game and totally worth playing, all of that said. Mega Pro Tip: if you get stuck on one "branch" in the hub world, go to another for a while. And if you can't beat the Flamelurker, go back later.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:45 PM
one zero zero one SOS

^ Demon's Souls is the easiest for what that's worth.

Last year when I played the game for the first time in years and actually laughed out loud when I got a look at what passed for my first ever Souls character. "Nah, he couldn't have been that bad; I beat the game!" I thought to myself as I rebooted DeS for the first time since 2010, now a hardened vet of Dark Souls 1, 2, and Bloodborne.

Nope. My babby Souls character in a word: lol
Old 01-17-2017, 02:01 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

It's funny-- back in the day, I remember the consensus being that Demon's was harder than Dark. Now it's flipped.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:16 PM
d.o_o.b

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyonion View Post
^ Demon's Souls is the easiest for what that's worth.

Last year when I played the game for the first time in years and actually laughed out loud when I got a look at what passed for my first ever Souls character. "Nah, he couldn't have been that bad; I beat the game!" I thought to myself as I rebooted DeS for the first time since 2010, now a hardened vet of Dark Souls 1, 2, and Bloodborne.

Nope. My babby Souls character in a word: lol
I ended up beating this game with an upgraded Secret Dagger while not wearing the Cling Ring. I didn't know what the fuck I was doing with my build.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:19 PM
Banned

It was definitely harder when world tendency was a mystery and nobody knew how upgrading worked.

My first character ever was not that lol-worthy when I booted him up, but I sure spent a lot of time grinding levels with him. His stats aren't even that good! What was I thinking?
Old 01-17-2017, 04:27 PM
Definitely not a werewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
It's funny-- back in the day, I remember the consensus being that Demon's was harder than Dark. Now it's flipped.
I've always felt they got harder with each game, until Dark Souls 3 (which is easier than 2).
Old 01-17-2017, 05:50 PM
one zero zero one SOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
I've always felt they got harder with each game, until Dark Souls 3 (which is easier than 2).
Same. Bloodborne is peak Souls difficulty to me, though I felt BB was also mercifully free of the customary Souls inscrutability and overwhelming number of options. It was straight-up twitch hard and mostly free of exploits too. BB is as Get Good or Go Home as the series has gotten.

I thought 2 was harder than 1 simply because of some encounters I feel are unfair. I don't think it's a huge jump in difficulty though. 3 is easiest, yeah, which I think is shown in the Estus shard distribution. Many of its bosses and areas were designed with a rough number of heals in mind, so the first boss (for example) can be beaten with three Estus uses (or six to eight mistakes, roughly). Once a player gets good enough to avoid damage as much as possible, which is easier than previous games because of the much smoother controls and wider level design, they're likely to find a lot of DS3 to be punching at a lighter weight level than its older brothers.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:41 PM

I still think Demon's is harder than Dark for a number of reasons, a couple of which would ruin the surprise for Issun. It's not much harder, but the biggest thing is just that Dark's slower pace makes it generally easier to assess and react (especially with parries).
Old 01-17-2017, 08:05 PM

Demon's is my favorite of the Souls Series.

I like how compact it it is relative to dark souls. I like bosses. I like the music. I love the Nexus. I think the Nexus is the best hub or base the series has created. Having an area full of NPCs is something I miss in later iterations of the series.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:11 PM
is Earnest

Yeah, the Nexus is top notch! It's definitely the strongest hub in the series.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:16 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

I have noticed that parrying and backstabbing in this one are easy-peasy relative to Dark Souls.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:58 PM
Chief Servbot

I do wish the series would go back to putting level design inside the boss arenas. Aside from a handful of bosses (Micolash, Executioners Chariot, that dragon from DS3) they've stuck to the "stick baddy in empty arena" style since the DS1 DLC, which is... fine, but I do miss the variety.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:14 AM
y cant axiom crawl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post
I do wish the series would go back to putting level design inside the boss arenas. Aside from a handful of bosses (Micolash, Executioners Chariot, that dragon from DS3) they've stuck to the "stick baddy in empty arena" style since the DS1 DLC, which is... fine, but I do miss the variety.
Bloodborne has a bunch of boss fights that aren't just open arenas, so I don't know if this is all that absolute.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:06 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

Tried Shrine of Storms, which told me in no uncertain terms I was not ready. It would make a great soul farming spot if it weren't for the embarassing load times this game has.

Mucked about in Stonefang Tunnels. Killed the fire jester dude a couple of times (fuck him). Overall Boletaria feels less like a place like Lordran, and more like a bunch of video game levels.

Probably won't be able to games again until Monday, when I can give this a lot more of my time.

Last edited by Issun; 01-18-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:53 AM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

I'm reinstalling this game atm. I didn't get too far!

Very, very fond of Tower of Latria. A level that seems so basic at first, then begins to unfold and connect and reconnect. And the atmosphere.

...Ding...
Old 01-19-2017, 07:28 AM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Mucked about in Stonefang Tunnels. Killed the fire jester dude a couple of times (fuck him). Overall Boletaria feels less like a place like Lordran, and more like a bunch of video game levels.
It's not the same kind of unified world, but each of the five levels ends up being well established as a place on its own.

Tags
from software , hipster souls