The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-08-2017, 06:57 PM
It's a bird! It's a fish!

Still playing this game! Just finished Route B. I like it so far, but not really in love with it, although from what I've heard Route C is where shit really goes down.

-I totally called the humans being dead all the way back in Route A, but I'm not disappointed that I was right. It's not super surprising, but it adds a lot more thematic depth to the androids' situation if there's no ulterior force for them to be fighting for.

-All the Gestalt/Replicant stuff that 9S discovers hidden in various servers: that's OG NieR references right? Anything major I'm missing there, or just minor callbacks?

-Best meta-narrative moment so far: "You totally wanted to **** 2B, didn't you?" It doesn't quite make up for yet another hyper sexualized female video game character, but it does make it better. Paired with the fact that these are androids, presumably originally created by humans sometime long in the past in their own idealized image, I can create a justification for 2B's design that raises interesting thematic questions beyond just "how big was the character designer's boner".

-Best sidequest: the Wandering Couple. Pretty heavy, and only after the fact did I realize that the final choice was probably actually a choice, and not a "but thou must!" moment. Made it hit much harder after I realized what I had agreed to do.

-Sidequest that I "nope"d out on fastest: the desert one with relics that aren't marked on your map. Ain't got time for that shit.

-Question for the thread: will I miss out on anything interesting by never fishing again?
Old 04-08-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcee Escher View Post
-All the Gestalt/Replicant stuff that 9S discovers hidden in various servers: that's OG NieR references right? Anything major I'm missing there, or just minor callbacks?
It's generally the most explicit information about the time gap between Drakengard 1 and Nier 1 that this game has within it.

Quote:
-Best meta-narrative moment so far: "You totally wanted to **** 2B, didn't you?" It doesn't quite make up for yet another hyper sexualized female video game character, but it does make it better. Paired with the fact that these are androids, presumably originally created by humans sometime long in the past in their own idealized image, I can create a justification for 2B's design that raises interesting thematic questions beyond just "how big was the character designer's boner".
There is a lot of reason to believe that word is something else, but specifically censored as such to make your first thought go exactly where your line of thinking is.

Last edited by Oathbreaker; 04-08-2017 at 08:08 PM. Reason: I edited this a lot because I kept thinking I was maybe spoiling too much.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:11 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Yeah, that's a callback to Nier. Any part of it that's relevant to Automata is explained in Automata. All you need to know about Project Gestalt is that it went horribly wrong and humanity died as a result.
Quote:
One thing I like about Yoko Taro is that he's pretty upfront with the fact that he sexualizes his female-identifying characters. Doesn't make it any more or less problematic, I suppose, but at least we're all being honest about why 2B has high heels and a boob window.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:20 AM
:O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Yeah, that's a callback to Nier. Any part of it that's relevant to Automata is explained in Automata. All you need to know about Project Gestalt is that it went horribly wrong and humanity died as a result.

One thing I like about Yoko Taro is that he's pretty upfront with the fact that he sexualizes his female-identifying characters. Doesn't make it any more or less problematic, I suppose, but at least we're all being honest about why 2B has high heels and a boob window.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:53 AM
meaningless [C]ode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Also, as a bisexual guy, I'd say the designs of 9S and Adam/Eve show that they weren't only thinking of appealing to people attracted to women.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:52 AM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno500 View Post
Also, as a bisexual guy, I'd say the designs of 9S and Adam/Eve show that they weren't only thinking of appealing to people attracted to women.
The character designer has specifically stated that they were designed to appeal to the popular image of What Women Like.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:42 AM

So, I got Ending A now. How do the other endings work? Do you get them automatically when playing again or do you need to do something specific?
Old 04-09-2017, 11:57 AM
meaningless [C]ode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rya View Post
So, I got Ending A now. How do the other endings work? Do you get them automatically when playing again or do you need to do something specific?
You get Ending B automatically by doing another playthrough. You will then have access to another route, in which you get either C or D depending on a decision you make, and once you've unlocked both C and D, you will be shown ending E.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:49 AM
Find Your Reason

DLC was announced today!

You know how things go with this series, but just in case: even the headline is a spoiler (the URL isn't quite as much of one).

And hahahahahahaha oh wow can't wait for the soundtrack to include "Birth of a Wish: CEO" eventually. I wonder if they'll be dubbed.

I also wonder if all three doors lead to the same arena battles. I really really wish the Desert and Forest ones lead to other fights.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:11 AM
forbidden noise

i got ending a. it was kind of nice i guess but i'm absurdly struggling to enjoy playing this game. at all.

the first time i tried to go through i died twice on the first boss in that section, and i couldn't find my body either time so i kinda figured it wasn't a big deal (i'd died on adam once as well and i couldn't find a body there either so i had also just kind of assumed it didn't matter). but then i realized i *had* lost my chips, and already saved (because the last phase was way too fucking annoying for me to be willing to do again) and then i died on the last boss' fifth lifebar or whatever bullshit and just turned off the console

anyway i came back a week later and changed the difficulty down to easy. i haven't really found anything fun or interesting in the combat and all the setpieces and sidequests take so long that i really do value knowing that at least i'm not gonna die. but i did get ending g twice in a row at the start of the new route because i couldn't figure out what it wanted me to do, so

...i turned off the console when i realized i was going to have to carry the bucket again

i have a sneaking suspicion that i'm also just anxious after seeing like a hundred people's vague reactions while having no idea what's actually coming but i think i also just wish this game felt more like nier or dod3
Old 04-18-2017, 07:06 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by spineshark View Post
i got ending a. it was kind of nice i guess but i'm absurdly struggling to enjoy playing this game. at all.
If I know you at all you'll like the second playthrough more since its a bullet hell shooter instead of a character action game.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:43 AM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spineshark View Post

the first time i tried to go through i died twice on the first boss in that section, and i couldn't find my body either time so i kinda figured it wasn't a big deal (i'd died on adam once as well and i couldn't find a body there either so i had also just kind of assumed it didn't matter). but then i realized i *had* lost my chips, and already saved (because the last phase was way too fucking annoying for me to be willing to do again) and then i died on the last boss' fifth lifebar or whatever bullshit and just turned off the console

anyway i came back a week later and changed the difficulty down to easy. i haven't really found anything fun or interesting in the combat and all the setpieces and sidequests take so long that i really do value knowing that at least i'm not gonna die. but i did get ending g twice in a row at the start of the new route because i couldn't figure out what it wanted me to do, so

...i turned off the console when i realized i was going to have to carry the bucket again

i have a sneaking suspicion that i'm also just anxious after seeing like a hundred people's vague reactions while having no idea what's actually coming but i think i also just wish this game felt more like nier or dod3
Spineshark-level spoilers: The Ending A boss gauntlet was, to my mind, the hardest part of the game, and I had a similar experience to yours,
involving losing all my chips and healing items on the sphere boss PRIOR to the gauntlet. It was frustrating. It's actually an upswing from there.
TheSL is completely right; I think it's going to be moving more in your direction from here on out. Most of the sidequests you completed won't come back, too, because your progress on everything but story is retained.
So a lot of the frustrating bits will, hopefully, be in the past.

I sympathize in wishing it felt more like Nier/drakenwhatsits during Route A.
I encourage you to press on, for the glory of etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
DLC was announced today!

You know how things go with this series, but just in case: even the headline is a spoiler (the URL isn't quite as much of one).

And hahahahahahaha oh wow can't wait for the soundtrack to include "Birth of a Wish: CEO" eventually. I wonder if they'll be dubbed.

I also wonder if all three doors lead to the same arena battles. I really really wish the Desert and Forest ones lead to other fights.
Soundtrack: Grandpa (Restructuring)
Old 04-21-2017, 02:38 PM
Find Your Reason

I'm reading TheDarkId's LP of the game, and three things:

Optional Ending [U] spoiler:

2B literally blew 9S's pants off I thought only he could do that to himself!

...wait, that came out all sorts of wrong.

Second (Route D spoiler): after leaving the Amusement Park for the very first time (heading to the Village), 2B notices rockets shooting into the sky. 9S explains that they're headed for the moonbase (or was it the Bunker?), arguing that "there's no spare parts in space." I thought the story would make a bigger deal of those later on, but now I can't help but wonder if there's any kind of parallels between those "supply rockets" (if that's what they really are) and the machines' Ark.

And of course, there IS the more overt connection of the Ark, which is heading into the unknown and might fly eternally into the depths of space but is hopeful it will find a home and, more importantly, fulfillment, and the moonbase server, which has a "dormant" essence of humanity in it anchored to Earth, waiting for someone to resurrect it, probably forever.

Third: Someone posted a link to this SMBC comic as a punchline to a "prologue explosion" joke, but... the actual setup of the comic is almost identical (post-B spoiler) to how Adam, Eve, the Terminals, and freaking 9S operate: http://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/transmitter
Old 04-21-2017, 03:04 PM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Second (Route D spoiler): after leaving the Amusement Park for the very first time (heading to the Village), 2B notices rockets shooting into the sky. 9S explains that they're headed for the moonbase (or was it the Bunker?), arguing that "there's no spare parts in space." I thought the story would make a bigger deal of those later on, but now I can't help but wonder if there's any kind of parallels between those "supply rockets" (if that's what they really are) and the machines' Ark.

And of course, there IS the more overt connection of the Ark, which is heading into the unknown and might fly eternally into the depths of space but is hopeful it will find a home and, more importantly, fulfillment, and the moonbase server, which has a "dormant" essence of humanity in it anchored to Earth, waiting for someone to resurrect it, probably forever.
The rockets are headed both for the moon colony and for the Bunker. However, you do find a manifest later for the rockets! The rockets headed to the moonbase... are almost empty, but for some water and fuel.
They go up along with the Bunker rockets, indistinguishable. It's actually 9S's first clue on his route that Humanity is over, and what leads him to confront the Commander.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:23 PM

I've been wondering something about the attract trailer in the game. There is a part of dialogue where 2B is saying something like, "If anyone can hear this, I want you to tell 9S...." However, as far as I know this is never actually said in a playthrough of the game. (Correct me if I am wrong on that.) Personally, I assign it to her as something she says on her last journey when she realizes she's been infected. I don't know why it was left out of the gameplay part of the game though.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:56 AM
Fifth Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onomarchus View Post
I've been wondering something about the attract trailer in the game. There is a part of dialogue where 2B is saying something like, "If anyone can hear this, I want you to tell 9S...." However, as far as I know this is never actually said in a playthrough of the game. (Correct me if I am wrong on that.) Personally, I assign it to her as something she says on her last journey when she realizes she's been infected. I don't know why it was left out of the gameplay part of the game though.
I'd have to double-check to be sure, but I'm PRETTY sure that's taken directly from something that is in the game, but only as a sort of bittersweet easter egg that I totally missed my first time through, too; if you find the wreckage of 2B's Flight Unit during Route C, you can listen to an audio log she left containing that line.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deptford View Post
I'd have to double-check to be sure, but I'm PRETTY sure that's taken directly from something that is in the game, but only as a sort of bittersweet easter egg that I totally missed my first time through, too; if you find the wreckage of 2B's Flight Unit during Route C, you can listen to an audio log she left containing that line.
: ( Since the plot has to keep 9S ignorant of what was really going on, I assume that log like the bit in attract trailer ends before she says what she wanted to to him.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:21 PM
forbidden noise

i got my body back on route b. i don't know why it was there but i guess it's fine

i can still only play this game a little bit each day but i guess that plus not wanting to complain about it on twitter constantly is a huge improvement over not touching it for weeks
Old 05-21-2017, 01:17 AM
Vigilante All-Star

Just something I ran into by accident a while ago. I have Endings A and T so far...I like 9S as a character a lot. 2B is...well, I guess I'll have to play more and get the other paths before I know for sure, but I don't know what to think of her yet (in a good way).

Of all the Platinum made games I've played, this is the most "for babies" one. I don't know how to feel about it, but the game is still fun regardless, and 9S is a great changeup in gameplay.

*It's really just my opinions on a couple characters, but considering the nature of the game, I didn't want to risk accidentally ruining something for newcomers.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:19 PM
hi there

i can finally click on all these blue boxes

that's the real reward for getting ending E
Old 07-03-2017, 10:23 AM
Half-Ninja

So this year at SGDQ, they opened with Half-Coordinated playing Route A of this game with one hand. It also gave birth to the great Hashtag, #got2Bradical, which has gifted us with some of the following images:

There are more at that hashtag and you should totally check them out.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:40 AM
Sega CD version is better

Any featuring 9S and some variation of "NOICE!"?
Old 07-03-2017, 01:54 PM
Half-Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becksworth View Post
Any featuring 9S and some variation of "NOICE!"?
I can't look right now but there was one where he says "bonkers"
Old 07-15-2017, 07:43 PM
hi there

Default [E] spoilers

[9:42 PM] TTLucas: WHY ARE THERE SO MANY COMPANIES INVOLVED IN MAKING MODERN GAMES
Old 07-15-2017, 11:15 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
[9:42 PM] TTLucas: WHY ARE THERE SO MANY COMPANIES INVOLVED IN MAKING MODERN GAMES
TTLucas - Today at 7:44 PM
I can't get past the Square-Enix Marketing Division

So yeah, I beat Ending E tonight. For some reason that end was one of the most emotionally intense moments I've ever had in a video game and one of the few times I've felt like what I was doing in a game mattered.

I chose not to help out others because I know I didn't explore enough beforehand, but I'm feeling guilty about it. I'll spend tomorrow going through the game's archives and a bunch of sidequests I didn't finish. I wonder if I'll get another chance to make that same choice, and to make it right this time.

I'm ready to cap this off and hand the game off to a friend for a while, give my feelings some time to rest.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:39 AM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Default Double posting for the glory of mankind.

Replayed ending E and confirmed you get another chance to make that choice. I assumed that ending would be less emotional for me the second time through but I actually had tears in my eyes for practically the whole sequence. I think part of the difference is that I was connected to the network the whole time this time, so I got a much better slow burn and crescendo experience.

I did end up buying a bunch of trophies to get platinum. That ability is kind of insidious because it's very convenient but the trophy screenshots are all of the shop menu and now I have a permanent reminder I didn't actually earn those trophies. They're just... participation trophies now.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:59 AM
The Goggles do Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
I did end up buying a bunch of trophies to get platinum. That ability is kind of insidious because it's very convenient but the trophy screenshots are all of the shop menu and now I have a permanent reminder I didn't actually earn those trophies. They're just... participation trophies now.
... You can do what?
Old 07-17-2017, 07:17 AM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

After get ending C or D and game tells you all the stuff you unlock, one of them is something to the effect of "the strange woman in the Resistance camp has a new service." You can then pay her to unlock trophies. Sad, meaningless, empty trophies.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:53 AM
Find Your Reason

Drakengard Yoko Taro!
Old 07-17-2017, 04:38 PM
Mystery Contraption

Started playing this and my immediate reaction to the story was "Okay, these enemy robots are probably good and I'm a monster for fighting them."

Then this became extremely obvious and I figured "Okay, that can't possibly be what's going on here. These adorable robots pleading for their lives must be monsterous."

And THEN I said "Well, I'm playing a Yoko Taro game, so who friggin' knows?"

Then a whole bunch of robots clamped together into a giant metal vagina which gave birth to an entire man
and I said "Yoko Taro, you're a difficult man to figure out."

Tags
cavia , do not fist android girls , don't date robots , don't stop me now , it's happening , nier , nierer my god to thee , platinum games , square enix , this can (not) continue