The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-31-2014, 04:16 PM
That Pokemon Guy

Default Donald used all the Ethers? Talking Kingdom Hearts

If there's a dedicated Kingdoms Heart thread, I couldn't find it.

Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD is coming out in a few weeks and its got me in the mood to play some Kingdom Hearts. I fired up HK1.5 and played through Destiny Islands and Traverse Town already. Anyone else playing this recently or want to post about it?

I've also been thinking about picking up Dream Drop Distance for the 3ds and was curious if anyone has played it.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:21 PM

Dream Drop's good, if you like BBS it's a fair bit like it but with more fun movement powers.

I really like the games but I feel like 1 doesn't really hold up and COM was never my jam, so I'll be happy just picking up 2.5 for the time being.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:30 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Talking Time generally doesn't like it, I've long since gathered. It's a textbook case of Crazy Nomura without any restraints on him.

I liked the first 2. I think Square has made a mistake wasting so much time making spinoffs rather than just finishing up the series. There's always time for spinoffos, prequels, etc. later. Plus, the quality of many of those side games are really dubious.

The GBA one was pretty ugh. The DS games I've never heard anything good about. The PSP one I think was pretty alright but I wasn't crazy to have to play it on a PSP. It's supposed to be included in the 2.5 collection, so I'd be down for giving it another shot on there.

I think that, despite really liking the big 2 entries, it's a couple of good games that are extremely overrated. Yoko Shimomura soundtrack, plus great character animation, plus Disney is a powerful package, to be sure. Also, while the gameplay is generally pretty simple, it works.

KH2 often developed in a button masher where you smacked stuff with your key and stuff exploded into munny balls. But that felt really good. Also, the team attacks and Press Triangle to do Anime **** was fun.

The actual KH3 needs to have tons of actual new worlds, though. The spinoffs keep recycling the same old ones, with only a few new ones. Granted, by this time, there's several completely new choices that didn't exist when KH2 came out. However, it would be nice for them to pull some really old stuff out again.

Dream Drop Distance I saw a quicklook on, and I remember one really irritating, looping piece of music that was so horrendously bad I swore off even trying that game. Once again, though, a spinoff that I care little about.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:32 PM
That Pokemon Guy

I actually hadn't played BBS either, but that's part of why I want 2.5 so badly.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:36 PM
Outraged!

I enjoyed the first two well enough. Only tried the first portable one and didn't care for it. Been a long time since I touched any of the games, not sure how well they'd hold up.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:42 PM

KH games have better action chops than a lot of people give them credit for with the best evidence for this being the critical mode they added to 2 final mix where they cap your health gains at a third of what they are in the regular game but give you the chance to equip a lot more abilities to customize what Sora's combo will be. Some really good positioning based action emerges out of that mode that you can't really stat around (you can even equip an ability that locks you out of leveling entirely if that just wasn't enough).

BBS and DDD both use an entirely different command system that produces some interesting tradeoffs of its own (you don't have a magic meter you have a set of abilities to cycle through that recharge individually based primarily on how powerful they are) but still feel fairly consistent with 1 and 2 given how much under the hood tinkering they did.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:48 PM
Child of the Sun and Sky

My first experience with the series was the gba one. I only remember that I didnīt like it.
May last year I played KH 1 and had a good time with it. After getting through the first awful armor-boss thing in Traverse Town (way too hard) and Wonderland (too confusing for me), that is. Being able to fly was awesome, and I was very disappointed that it got reduced to just gliding.
The one thing that disappointed me mainly was the way the Final Fantasy characters were used. Only characters from FF VII and VIII, lame. What I actually would like to see in KH 3 would be Donald as the main character who traverses the different FF-worlds, teaming up with different chars from the respective worlds. Or let me make a team out of a bunch of Disney and FF characters as I choose. I'm sure it would be fun to fight Kefka with a team of Donald, floating Arielle, Steiner and Vivi.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:49 PM
hi there

BBS is the best of the series, I'd say.

(Also, why are you letting Donald touch your Ether stash?)
Old 10-31-2014, 05:12 PM
That Pokemon Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
(Also, why are you letting Donald touch your Ether stash?)
Thatsthejoke.gif
Old 10-31-2014, 06:27 PM

I still haven't really put much time into DDD. It just hasn't quite clicked with me. BBS, on the other hand, was fantastic. Easily the best in the series since KH2.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:37 PM
Serial Thread Killer

Kingdom Hearts is essentially the Double Dragon game I never had. And I love it for that.

Plus I love the enemy designs and all the boss fights. Mostly spectacle over substance, story included, but its a fantastic shut-your-brain-off kind of game. To just let yourself get carried off in the corny plot's current and enjoy every moment.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:39 PM
That Pokemon Guy

Playing KH makes me remember that KHII is a bit better game, gameplay wise.

I lost my copy of the GBA game and I did try the PS2 remake but didn't like it. I might give the HD version a try.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:15 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Both KH2 and Zone of the Enders 2 have those scenes where some one was like, "We need to have a lot of enemies on the screen at once in this scene." "How many?" "As many as PS2 possibly can. PLUS A FEW MORE." Then they did.

I honestly think they're afraid of trying to top KH2. Because the spinoffs? Yeah, those sure as hell didn't.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:21 PM
hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I honestly think they're afraid of trying to top KH2. Because the spinoffs? Yeah, those sure as hell didn't.
Did you try Birth By Sleep?
Old 10-31-2014, 08:29 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
Did you try Birth By Sleep?
Yeah. I played through as tall guy with Black Spikey Hair Guy who isn't Zack. I wasn't extremely impressed with what I played. Most of the top tier for PS2 production value was extremely toned down and it had mostly recycled and shrunk down worlds.

Maybe there are worlds that you don't even get to see unless you play the other characters. I don't know.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:35 PM
hi there

Well, there is the whole "end of the game" part that you missed out on. But whatever, then. Probably not the best idea to keep playing a game you've already made a verdict on.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:42 PM
Come, noble knights!

I played the first Kingdom Hearts but wasn't able to play the second one due to RL problems at the time, and by the time I could get it there was all this nonsense about trenchcoats and nobodies and people being people and people not being other people and all kinds of convoluted Gainax level bullshit complicating what could've been a simple and clean accessible "Disney Meets Square-Enix" series.

Speaking of Kingdom Hearts 2, it still bewilders/amazes me that it got censored in western releases (and later the remakes that use that version as the base) for content that was just fine* in the movies it was originally in. Guess they were really desperate for that E-10 rating, huh?

* Admittedly it was pretty fucked up that Disney's Hercules got a G rating when it featured CGI Hydra Decapitation, even with green blood.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:01 PM
#deadfish2017

KH is every awful anime excess wrapped in a layer of finny fun but I guess I liked the skyboxes in the Pridelands alright.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:11 AM
Curious Young Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixSH View Post
The one thing that disappointed me mainly was the way the Final Fantasy characters were used.
Definitely. There was some rights concerns with FF9 because of who designed the characters, but they did slip Vivi into KH2, so I guess that was ok. But definitely as time went on with this series we got much less FF, a little less Disney, and infinitely more of the weird anime gunk they made up for the series.
For a series that was sold on "FF meets Disney!" this is kinda weird. Like as if Smash Bros' cast was more than half made up of original characters, and so we only got 15-20 Nintendo characters.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:13 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

The FF characters were a hook, but let's not kid, even KH1 had very little to do with the FF characters. In fact, isn't DDD unusual in that it has a world based around The World Ends With You?
Old 11-01-2014, 01:18 PM
hi there

Quote:
The FF characters were a hook, but let's not kid, even KH1 had very little to do with the FF characters. In fact, isn't DDD unusual in that it has a world based around The World Ends With You?
It doesn't even have that, actually! The TWEWY characters take up residence in Traverse Town.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:40 AM
That Pokemon Guy

Admit it, this would be awesome:

Old 11-02-2014, 12:41 AM
hi there

Did they have to give Mario that horrible vest? Also, where is his hat's M?
Old 11-02-2014, 02:10 AM
Curious Young Gent

Quote:
The FF characters were a hook, but let's not kid, even KH1 had very little to do with the FF characters.
Well, you did at least have Traverse Town basically being FF town - Cid, Squall, Yuffie, and Aeris drove the plot in that world. And of course the intro island was all random FF characters too.

But yeah, even with KH1 I felt like there wasn't nearly enough. Would've been very cool if we had FF worlds to go to, or at least more hodgepodge worlds with crossover casts.
But right now FF characters seem to be relegated to very brief and unimportant cameos or boss fights, and Disney worlds are just the throwaway settings to pad out the game's length between the weird charmless anime schlock.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:27 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pombar View Post
Well, you did at least have Traverse Town basically being FF town - Cid, Squall, Yuffie, and Aeris drove the plot in that world. And of course the intro island was all random FF characters too.

But yeah, even with KH1 I felt like there wasn't nearly enough. Would've been very cool if we had FF worlds to go to, or at least more hodgepodge worlds with crossover casts.
But right now FF characters seem to be relegated to very brief and unimportant cameos or boss fights, and Disney worlds are just the throwaway settings to pad out the game's length between the weird charmless anime schlock.
Yup.

Here's what new Kingdom Hearts games need, guys. More Disney and more classic Final Fantasy characters. It's amazing that for all of the awful fanfiction that KH has spawned, that Square hasn't realized that probably a pretty large chunk of it centers on those elements.

That being said, I'm be shocked if Lightning doesn't play an extremely large part in KH3.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:45 PM
That Pokemon Guy

I admit, I'd play a Theatrythym Kingdom Hearts.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:59 PM
Highway To HFIL

The series is worth giving a chance for the music alone.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:40 PM
hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleck View Post
The series is worth giving a chance for the music alone.
(alternatively: use youtube links above, never touch the games)
Old 11-02-2014, 05:33 PM
Binglebottom

Kingdom Hearts 2 is almost enjoyable as a sort of train wreck, but you have to, y'know, play the game, and it has huge parts of wandering around weirdly vacuous environments that are like blown-up shoeboxes with Disney veneer.

In my experience, people tend to say that the first KH is legit good and represents something more coherent before the series became a route for Nomura to draw more haircuts in leather. I played it again a couple of years ago, just as an experiment, and... it's actually just a terrible action-exploration game without the absolute narrative insanity of 2.

I will rent and play 3 if it ever comes out just to see how far the nonsense can be taken.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:24 PM
Half-Ninja

Gummi Ship was some of the best parts of KH2. It was like Star Fox where you could make your own ship. My friends and I once made a Gummi Ship that was a giant ship made to just plow through everything. Sadly it didn't work so well.

BBS wasn't bad, but it got kinda boring since you pretty much had to play through the game 3 times and the story made no sense. I really liked DDD. It was really fun, even if the story once again, is a mess and just a sequel hook for 3. Which reminds me, wasn't there some Google Doc someone made that was basically Thumbnail Theater for this series?

Tags
all hail gogglebob , anime hair , belts belts belts , darkness , gogglebob explains it all , gogglebob4president , kingdom hearts , kingdumb hearts , secret best poster , the hydra's back , zippers