The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-04-2013, 08:47 PM
le petite mort

Default My body is ready! Talking about Crypt of the Necrodancer

Probably the best demo of PAX Prime 2013 was Crypt of the Necrodancer. It's a highly entertaining mashup of rhythm games and dungeon-crawling roguelikes and it's a blast. I demoed it using the DDR pad available, but if you're a filthy, scrubby casual (or just don't want a massive 50 lb dance pad taking up most of your living room) you can also use a keyboard to navigate our brave explorer through a randomly-generated maze chocked full of dancing blobs, sashaying skeletons, and fearsome hopping dragons.

Item usage, weapon selection and combat are surprisingly well done, seamlessly streamlined into the main crux of the game, which is keeping the heroine constantly moving to the beat of the music playing. You can also use your own music if the game selection doesn't strike your fancy, but the stock music was fun and appropriate. Character design was cute and quirky, but not obnoxiously so.

I'm super pumped about this game and you should be too! Here's some trailers and stuff to, uh, pump up the jam!

(this demo doesn't showcase the pulsing heart at the bottom of the screen, which is the crux of the game, but as long as you know it's there ...!)

Last edited by gahitsu; 08-20-2014 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:57 PM
Oily Butt Thing

I was looking at this after Nich linked it a while ago and was kind of bewildered. Is it like, I don't know, a roguelike with someone constantly pressing the fast-forward button? Do the enemies get a new turn on the beat whether or not the player character moves as well?
Old 09-04-2013, 11:12 PM
concentrate

Yes, I am all kinds of excited about this! There are way too few rhythm action RPGs.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Lichotaur

Played this using the keyboard at PAX. I didn't get to try it on the dance pad, unfortunately. I'll definitely get it when it comes out since rhythm game + roguelike is right in my wheelhouse. Looking forward to some tales from the Crypt. You might want to have Matchstick update the thread title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
I was looking at this after Nich linked it a while ago and was kind of bewildered. Is it like, I don't know, a roguelike with someone constantly pressing the fast-forward button? Do the enemies get a new turn on the beat whether or not the player character moves as well?
Pretty much. Enemies move in set patterns, so they may not always attack if it isn't in their pattern, so you can use that to your advantage. There is a "groove chain" counter that resets if you miss the beat, get hit by an enemy/trap, or make improper moves (run into impenetrable walls,etc). The chain affects your coin multiplier. I don't remember absolutely remember if it resets if you don't make a move, but I'm pretty sure it does from what I've seen in video.

Interesting to note, from the devlog, the character's name is Cadence.

Also of note: one of the people working on the music is Danny Baranowsky, the guy who did the music for Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Isaac. He was at the video game music creators panel at PAX.

Also, there was a (non-Parish) USGamer interview with the developer from 2 months ago.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:43 AM
Sudden chomper

I don't see myself getting a dance pad to play this, but if they build in support for the Rock Band drum kit then I might just be crazy enough to try it that way. Looks pretty cool, anyway!
Old 09-11-2013, 11:49 AM

This was indeed one of the most fun things I played at PAX, and I don't even like roguelikes.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:21 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Add me to the list of people very excited for this game. I am curious how attacking works, though - your attack (appears to) cover three squares so you aren't just bumping into monsters like Nethack, so how does a dance pad know you want to attack rather than move?

Which reminds me, I need to get back to getting my 360 dance pad working on my PC (maybe Windows 8 won't have a problem with it like XP did?).
Old 02-10-2014, 08:20 PM
le petite mort

It's been a while since I played this, but I believe the game intuits that you're attacking if you're facing the right direction and there's a monster in proximity, then you should be attacking (and then it does just that). Also, I think different weapons have different attack radii.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:50 PM
Crazy Old Bird

This game looks super cool, though the permanent upgrades have me a bit skittish, as those tend to screw up the balance in roguelikes. Though maybe it'll end up a Rogue Legacy situation where the game isn't actually a roguelike and is just doing its own thing.

Man, just a few years ago I never would have thought I'd see a lack of perma-death as a potential flaw.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:30 AM
Infinity Squared!

I think I remember a video showing off the game with the developer where he notes that in the main lobby, there's a staircase leading to a Hardcore mode where you start with no upgrades. It was during a 24-hour Indie game streaming thing, but I can't remember the name of the event.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:12 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Default CRYPT OF THE NECRODANCER - This Grave Was Made For Me.

So I just got my Alpha copy of this game yesterday. And as luck would have it My dancepad arrived on the same day!

And what do you know Turns out a game about dance-fighting skeletons to a sick beat is delicious brain candy for the skeleton called BEAT. WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED.

I'm in love with this thing Playing it with the arrow keys is just fine, no big. But with the dancepad it becomes this whole other beast. It is such a brilliant and awesome idea I'm shocked nobody came up with it ages ago.

As I said over in not worth it's own video I will be doing a live stream of this on my hitbox later tonight. Because this is something I want people to see.

Did anybody else get into the alpha for this?
Old 05-01-2014, 08:40 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

psst: gahitsu already made a thread for this
Old 05-01-2014, 09:48 PM
Little Waves

Thanks for streaming it. I got a better idea of how the game works; it's cool how everything is designed so you can play with just four directional inputs. Some nice dancing animations on those monsters, too.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
psst: gahitsu already made a thread for this
Oh wow and somehow my post got magicked over to it!

Awesome!
Old 05-01-2014, 10:16 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
Apparently I missed this. Is there some kind of archive somewhere?
Old 05-01-2014, 10:23 PM
Little Waves

Right here.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:05 AM

OR RIGHT HERE! Oh my godddd the dropped frames . You can skip ahead to the 3 minute mark to skip all the "me setting up the stream bullshit.

I had only spent 20 minutes with this game before this first stream, but it's easy to figure out, and the simple 4-direction controls work very well! The way it works is if you tap in the direction of an enemy when they're in a spot you can hit, you'll hit them. Different weapons hit different spaces, the spear hits two spaces in front of you , the broadsword hits in front and on the diagonals, ect. It's very intuitive and I think it works really well!

At one point during the (Hour-long) Stream, Nodal mentions that he thought it would be pretty easy if I wasn't playing it with my feet. He's got a point, if I was playing it with my Keyboard instead of by jumping around my living room like a madman I probably would have gotten a lot further. But WHY WOULD I EVEN WANT TO DO THAT.

Unfortunately it looks like Pre-Orders are currently closed, meaning they're officially in closed alpha. It looks like if you sign up for the newsletter there are chances to win copies, but I have no idea how many of those will be going out.

Regardless, I totally love this game, and heartily recommend everybody check it out when they get the chance! I'm going to continue playing it and streaming it and maybe I'll actually get past the third floor!

But let's not get our hopes up.

BIG THANKS TO: Smiler, FanboyMaster, Nodal, Patito & Kayin for being my SKYPE BROS even though it meant they wouldn't be able to hear the music and would have no idea why I was flailing around.

SORRY TO: Breakman, Droo, Ghost From Spelunker, BongoBill, Kishi, Lady, Epithet, McClain & everybody else who checked out the stream or said hi in the chat. Next time I'll remember to pop out the chat window and hopefully be slightly more viewer-considerate! I'm not used to having actual viewers!
Old 07-30-2014, 01:09 PM
le petite mort

HOLY SHIT IS YOUR BODY READY

CAUSE CURSE OF THE NECRODANCER IS NOW ON STEAM

Also, Jeff Agala from Klei Entertainment (fine developers of such wondrous games as Don't Starve and Mark of the Ninja) did some fan art and jesus just look at this like two of my favorite things got together and started making out but like with art instead of tongues:

Old 07-30-2014, 09:07 PM

Wow, that is some nice fan art.

Does anyone who has it tried to play with a PS2 era dance pad? I have the PS2 to USB converter, but I was curious if the controls are configurable enough to get that to work.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:57 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Lord BEAT has indeed done so on some streams. Such as the one two posts up!
Old 08-19-2014, 11:04 PM
Indecisive Epicure

Reviving thread because I'm very actively playing this on Steam? Zone 1 was pretty easy, Zone 2 was fun, Zone 3... I'm having a very hard time making much progress in it. Sometimes, I just spawn in a room with 6 enemies and a boss around me and die shortly after. Still fun. Far, far too often, I get too caught up in keeping with the rhythm rather than taking my time with things. I have a DDR pad for 360, never used. Dare I give it a try?
Old 08-20-2014, 12:27 AM
Lichotaur

I have obtained a PS2 to USB converter. I should be playing this in the next few days.

Hint hint: please update the thread title
Old 08-20-2014, 03:07 AM
le petite mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkdn42 View Post
Hint hint: please update the thread title
Wait what?
Old 08-20-2014, 06:10 AM
Crazy Old Bird

I believe the title should be Crypt of the Necrodancer. *adjusts nerdglasses*
Old 08-20-2014, 06:14 AM

Doing it with A DDR pad is both SUPER FUN and also TOTALLY RAD.

I have video evidence in this very thread of this. It's a fact.

I have this friday off, so I'm prolly gonna do a midday stream of this game. I'll announce it in this thread and everybody's invited.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:35 AM
le petite mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
I believe the title should be Crypt of the Necrodancer. *adjusts nerdglasses*
OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

sorry guys ; ;

Also hurray for streaming!
Old 08-20-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
Doing it with A DDR pad
ohhhhh myyyyy
Old 08-20-2014, 06:43 AM
le petite mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
ohhhhh myyyyy
It would be impossible for mere mortals such as you or I, but for the Bone Lord, anything is possible.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahitsu View Post
It would be impossible for mere mortals such as you or I, but for the Bonin' Lord, anything is possible.
Quite.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:01 PM
Set phasers to hug

I got this recently and started playing it mostly blind.

I was expecting an interesting roguelike/rhythm hybrid.

What I was not expecting was that it'd be a legitimately great roguelike even disregarding the rhythm elements. I'm impressed, and I'm not easily impressed on that score anymore. I still don't play as Bard much myself, because needing to make decisions under duress is half the fun here, but "Crypt of the NecroDancer as Bard" is probably going to be one of my top suggestions from now on to people asking what their first roguelike should be. The monsters of the first region are such a good case study in how to teach basic tactics through enemy design.

Tags
beat cameo , crypt of the necrodancer , curse of the necrodancer , dancing skeletons , rhythm games , rhythm roguelike , roguelike , roguelike-like