The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 07-01-2017, 04:25 PM
Set phasers to hug

I think what I'd really like to have is a "Flavor of the Month" format where they just pick three random card sets and make those the legal cards for one month only. The meta for that format would be constantly unpredictable.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:51 PM
Natural Born Critic

Looks like you can choose a champion for the Hearthstone Tour. I don't follow the pro scene well enough to have an opinion, but does anyone have good guesses on who to select?
Old 07-02-2017, 02:21 PM
forbidden noise

i think europe has the best track record on the global stage historically (europe, cn, americas, sea), and kolento specifically is the most prolific player in the tournament this year. he's perhaps the "obvious" choice as a result, though hoej (who won the europe qualifier) and jasonzhou (china's winner) also look really strong right now.

mage won the sea qualifier and his team (new zealand) is doing extremely well in the global games event, so i think he's also a very strong choice. tredsred is iirc the first player from japan to reach one of these events and was playing some relatively unusual stuff in the qualifier, so he'll probably be interesting to watch but i wouldn't bet on him

===============================================

hey let's talk about global games, i've watched literally every match at work, this is my favorite event ever

phase 1 was a round-robin group stage. 8 groups, 6 teams in each, top 3 advance. that's 48 countries, with 4 players on each team, so we're already talking almost 200 different amazing players from all over the world (a bit concentrated on europe, unsurprisingly, but with very strong asian and south american representation still)

phase 2 is 24->16, so there's 6 groups of 4, round robin again, and most of the top 3's advance i think? i'm a bit confused on the exact mechanic here

the format is best of five. you make decks for all nine classes, and then each player gets two. the ninth one is saved as a choice if you make it to the fifth game of the series. the line-up is blind picked (i think), and then you again blind pick between your two decks against the opponent's two decks. and the decklists are not public and can be changed each week, so there are very heady mindgames around all of the deckbuilding and picking; for example, you can't be sure if that warrior on the other team is pirate or quest, so how confident are you playing mage into it? and i mean, since you have to have a warlock deck a lot of people are stacking tech-heavy decks to counter stuff like paladin that's a pretty sure pick when it lines up, so that's been funny to see sometimes.

also, the thing started a week after the un'goro drop, so for the first month there was total chaos as the meta hadn't settled and people were playing everything. super greedy n'zoth paladins, quest shaman, quest druid (one game had a quest druid against taunt warrior, and the warrior team mulliganed the quest expecting aggro. did not end well for them, but was absolutely hilarious), quest priest, that bloodbloom warlock...

anyway, the meta's fairly settled at the moment but the 50/50 on a lot of classes and general structure of the game right now still makes matches pretty exciting for me, plus i'm really invested in the american and mexican teams and want to see them do well. especially mexico, who have won their first two matches in the second round robin and are therefore clinched for the next round as far as i know.

britain got crushed in phase 1. i love jackiechan but i'm also very petty about britain so that was satisfying to me

Last edited by spineshark; 07-02-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:51 PM
Inherently Stealthy

The global games also have fantastic casters ("well he clearly picked the wrong card to draw") and the scheduling, while awkward for PST me, is nice because it's mid-week when there's not much else going on.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:37 AM
Fishing for Felbloom

Starting tomorrow, they're running a special event where you can earn double gold from your quests. Not sure how long it runs. (A week?) With an expansion coming up soon, that's surprisingly generous of them.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:12 PM
Doctor of Death

Decided to give Wild a shot for the hell of it, queued into Rogue.
Turn 1, they play Quest. Whatever, I'll cope with it.
Next few turns, they seem to have a terrible draw, and they're playing some weird cards, like Deadly Weapon?
Turn 8, they drop an active Reno.
Reno. Quest. Rogue.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:39 PM
100% All Original

That event sounds like good news. If the expansion is coming out in a month, I don't think I'd be able to get to my traditionaly 5000 gold beforehand.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:07 PM
King Of Space-Time

EDIT: Thought PB was finally behaving. Guess not.

IT IS NEVER TOO SOON FOR THE MIDSUMMER FIRE FESTIVAL

Last edited by Daikaiju; 07-04-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:30 PM
Doctor of Death

Photobucket placeholder image?
Old 07-05-2017, 01:34 AM
Set phasers to hug

So, Ragnaros is going to strand us on an island in the Caribbean, then?

Last edited by dtsund; 07-05-2017 at 01:45 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:41 AM
King Of Space-Time

Old 07-06-2017, 07:20 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

Next set is Knights of the Frozen Throne. There's a new card type called heroes, basically riffing on Jaraxxus, which change your hero into a new Death Knight-ified one when it comes into play. They're also keywording the Mistress of Pain/Wickerflame Burnbristle effect and putting it on spells. Also deathrattles are coming back in a big way, so get your Awaken the Makers ready.

As for one-player content, there's eight bosses, all free. If you beat all of them you get three packs and a free (random) hero card. Previews start on the 24th(!). I have to say I'm not an enormous fan of these huge lag times in between announcement and previews.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:28 PM
King Of Space-Time

"How do we take a powerful, tragic, and very dark character like the Lich King and bring him into the fun, lighthearted, and whimsical world of Hearthstone?"

"So we had an idea... What if, for Icecrown Citadel in Hearthstone... What if... everybody dies?"

Old 07-07-2017, 01:40 AM
forbidden noise

mage and kolento were in the same group and mage just won. amazing, super tense set all the way through

so, uh, i'm sorry, but i'm pretty pumped. i picked right...and i'm very sure that both of them will still make top 8
Old 07-10-2017, 02:38 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

The Caverns Below nerf dropped today but who cares; Jade Spirit and Mana Geode are Elementals now.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:43 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanto View Post
The Caverns Below nerf dropped today but who cares; Jade Spirit and Mana Geode are Elementals now.
8.2.3: Shaman was insufficiently dominant. Buffed Shaman, nerfed Rogue.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:09 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

Elemental Shaman is a deck that could stand to be a little stronger, honestly. I'd like to see more Shaman archetypes than Token/Evolve.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:20 AM
Fishing for Felbloom

According to some of the information datamined from yesterday's patch, after the Fire Festival is over they're immediately going to start a Frost Festival. The theme of this one is Arena -- for each of the three weeks, everyone gets a free Arena run, and there will be quests for playing three games of Arena that award a Knights of the Frozen Throne pack. Additionally, the free Arena runs all start with one win.

My suspicion is that Blizzard wants to stealth-test the adjusted Arena drop rates, but hey, I won't say no to free stuff.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:09 AM
Natural Born Critic

Quote:
...for each of the three weeks, everyone gets a free Arena run, and there will be quests for playing three games of Arena that award a Knights of the Frozen Throne pack. Additionally, the free Arena runs all start with one win.

My suspicion is that Blizzard wants to stealth-test the adjusted Arena drop rates, but hey, I won't say no to free stuff.
Also a fan of free stuff. Is the fire festival going to last for 3 weeks as well? No objections, I'm just shocked they're doing double gold for that long.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:38 AM
Fishing for Felbloom

The Fire Festival is two weeks, I think.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:26 PM
King Of Space-Time

Old 07-17-2017, 08:26 AM
King Of Space-Time

Guess he's given up on the Blizzard job.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:21 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

Frost Festival's started.

In completely unrelated news, man oh man is Arena boring.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:28 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Three icecrown packs per week is... Probably worth the 300 gold for arena runs on top of the 1 free, because I'm crap at arena and will probably lose right away, but the "incentive" win will bump up the reward quality?

Also this brawl is also boring.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:37 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

The quest only rewards one pack, not three, and it's for playing three Arena games, not Arena runs. You'll maximize your income simply by finishing the free Arena run each week.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:41 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
The quest only rewards one pack, not three, and it's for playing three Arena games, not Arena runs. You'll maximize your income simply by finishing the free Arena run each week.
Right, and I'm terribad at Arena. The festival's going to last three weeks and we'll get one free run and one 3 games -> 1 ICC pack quest each week. So I'll need to pay 300g/week to finish the quest, which will probably still be worth it.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:47 PM
King Of Space-Time

The Lich King™ Announces New Hearthstone® Esports Team

Quote:
“Effective immediately, the organization previously known as Tempo Storm will have fallen permanently under my control. I knew a team with a name that spoke of such power must surely be a force to be reckoned with—so I conquered it.” said the Lich King, CEO, CFO, Director of Communications, owner, and uncontested overlord of The Frozen Pwn and immortal conqueror of the mortal team Tempo Storm. “I then looked up “utter domination” on your Internet circa 2005 and found the mighty vowel-less word PWN. It was the perfect term for a team that will annihilate all those who stand against me.” From this auspicious beginning, the shift from Tempo Storm to The Frozen Pwn was born.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:27 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
Right, and I'm terribad at Arena. The festival's going to last three weeks and we'll get one free run and one 3 games -> 1 ICC pack quest each week. So I'll need to pay 300g/week to finish the quest, which will probably still be worth it.
You only have to finish the games, not win them. Even if you lose all three games of the free run, you'll still complete it.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:30 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
You only have to finish the games, not win them. Even if you lose all three games of the free run, you'll still complete it.
Oh!

... Oh!!!!!
Old 07-19-2017, 04:26 PM
Natural Born Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
Right, and I'm terribad at Arena.
I'm not AMAZING at arena, but I do consistently get 3+ wins. If you would like some pointers PM me and we can try to set something up.

Tags
blizzard , ccg , hearthstone , mlg , warcraft