The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 11-16-2010, 10:43 PM
Kills Thousands

Default Thread of DOOM

No, not that DOOM

Let's talking DOOM!

Back in the good old year of 1993, the biggest, baddest, tough motherfuckingest game came out and rocked the world. While it may not have been the first FPS game, it's the first one to really matter. We didn't call its competitors Wolfenstein clones, did we?

This is a thread to talk about DOOM, whether it's the classics, the new fangled Survival/Darkness games, the roguelike or the iPhone RPG. To christen this thread, I'm going to take the opportunity to link to everything on the fringe of the DOOM experience.

So Talking Time, come with me and walk with me through Hell itself.

FIRST AND FOREMOST: If you're going to be playing DOOM on a modern machine, I highly, HIGHLY recommend you download either ZDoom or GZDoom. ZDoom will get the job done, but GZDoom will do all that and more. Mac users, don't fret, ZDoom is now cross-platform and can be used on your machine as well.

Okay, great, so you now have an engine to play DOOM in. What you need next is an IWAD. The IWAD is basically the game itself. Textures, music, maps, whatever; it's all in the IWAD file and the IWAD files are included in any version of DOOM that you purchase. If you don't own DOOM anymore, you can get it very easily off of Steam and just copy the WADs over to any file that you decide to use for any of these. If you want my recommendation, just buy the DOOM Pack that I linked. For $10 extra, you get DOOM 3 and its expansion. For those of you wanting to play it on the cheap, then I fully endorse getting DOOM II only. Either way, you can't lose.

Alright, so you want to use custom content now, right? Alright, what you want to do is set aside a folder for DOOM. This folder is going to contain your engine (ZDoom), your IWAD (DOOM2.WAD) and your user created WADs (AV.WAD). Once you have all those together, just drag the user created WADs (AV.WAD in the example that I listed above) and place it on top of your engine. That should start it up and ask you what IWAD you want to use. For the vast majority of the stuff I'm going to share here, you're going to want the DOOM2.WAD, so make sure you have that before you start pulling hair out. If for whatever reason you're having trouble with any of this, feel free to PM me and see if I can't help you out.

Hey, I like the classics, hook me up with some oldschool DOOM

First up, let's talk about expansions. Most people playing the original DOOM these days probably don't even have to worry about hunting this one down, but I guess I'll include for shits and giggles. The Ultimate DOOM is the first and only official expansion made for the original DOOM and includes a brand new episode, Thy Flesh Consumed. If you thought Inferno was tough, TFC will knock your fucking teeth out from the first room. It's just good old fashioned DOOM fun made by the people who made DOOM. I wouldn't hold disliking it against anyone, but I do think it's worth your time just to complete your DOOM experience.

Likewise, DOOM II got an official expansion as well. This time though, it was one hell of an experience. Final DOOM actually has twice the content of DOOM II and I'd say that all of it was worthy of being DOOM canon. TNT was the easier campaign with difficulty about on par with the original DOOM II. The Plutonia Experiment, however, makes Thy Flesh Consumed look like a baby game. It's balls to the wall difficult, but it's also well paced and well made in general. To compare it oldschool games, the difficulty is more along the lines of a Contra game than a Ghouls n' Ghosts. Again, if you're looking for classic DOOM experiences made by the people who made DOOM, you can't go wrong with either. Both of these are included in the Steam link I posted above.

With the official stuff out of the way, let's talk about other classic maps. There have been all kinds of user created maps throughout the years and as a community, it's only natural that the mappers got together and made some awesome projects. MegaWADs are the result and some truly fantastic ones have sprout up since 1993, many that make the original games seem lame by comparison. These are full game replacements and entirely new campaigns for you to get your demon killing action on in.

Canon is so booooooooring.

Without a doubt, the greatest classic MegaWAD would have to be Alien Vendetta. Basically, this WAD is every asshole moment that the original games threw at you condensed into one awesome package and polished to the extreme. It's one of those things that has to be seen to be believed. But you, humble reader, don't want to take my word for it. Don't worry, I've found you some screenshots to help calm the waters of your mind and convince you that this is in fact, quite awesome.

With the big one out of the way, I guess I'll talk about some of the bigger ones. Every bluemoon, the mapping community likes to get together and create MegaWADs and make a pseudo contest out of it amongst themselves. As a result, the Community Chest WADs came into being. As of right now, there are three of them. Of the three, the second seems to be the most popular. I enjoyed all three of them for better or worse, so you're probably good no matter which one you choose.

One of the more interesting trends in classic DOOM mapping in recent years has been to make fully decked out levels in as little space as humanly possible. I'll go ahead and be lazy and quote the wiki here: "All maps are designed so that the playing area fits entirely within a 1024×1024-sized area. Authors were allowed to define sectors outside of this area for the purposes of gameplay, detail and scenery, as long as they are not reachable. MAP01 and MAP19, however, include accessible areas outside of the 1024×1024 boundary." Now, that may not sound all that fun to a lot of people who played DOOM back in the day; I for one didn't think much of them until I wanted something different to test out a weapons mod. Basically, these things are pretty damned great. Gone is the fluff that holds back a lot of would-be mappers. This is pure DOOM at its finest and it's amazing to see the creativity of the authors that get together for these. I haven't played all of them, but the two that I have are Congestion 1024 and Claustrophobia 1024. These are fantastic and fully worth your time.

I'll go ahead and cut this section short and just list a few others that I feel are pretty good: Hell Revealed, Hell Revealed 2, Momento Mori, Plutonia 2, Scythe 2 and Whispers of Satan.

Man, old stuff is stupid. What can DOOM do for me today?

As the DOOM community has aged and newer, sleeker FPS games have been released by actual devs, the mapping community has slowly been chipping their way towards something that meets the old and the new halfway. This is the sole reason that I recommended ZDoom above and honestly, if you want to use anything I'm going to link in this next section, you really want GZDoom.

Anyways, let's start with arguably the best of the bunch. The Ultimate Torment 'n Torture is probably the greatest thing to ever come from DOOM. Part classics DOOM, part Quake, part modern FPS, TUTNT captures all of that and makes what's essentially a brand new game that would have easily trumped everything had it been released around Duke Nukem 3D. This is a mod that's full of exciting new enemies, devious traps, puzzling puzzles, an epic soundtrack (mostly stolen from movies) and some of the best texture work the game has ever seen. It's truly an experience that needs to be played to truly understand. For those of you who have the patience to watch the game but are still wary about making the download commitment, I played through the entire thing and uploaded it to youtube to try and get some more buzz around it (self-plug #1). Of everything that I'm listing in this post, this is the one I recommend the most. It's absolutely brutal, but play it on easy and you're in for the best DOOM experience ever.

Action DOOM is probably one of the more well known WADs to have been released lately. Basically, this is Contra in the DOOM engine. If you like both Contra and DOOM, why the fuck haven't you played this yet? Honestly now, you're disappointing all of us.

As I mentioned before, from time to time the community gets together to create things. With the release of the much expanded ZDoom engine, they seized the opportunity to go beyond DOOM and see just how deep the rabbithole goes. The first one I'm going to list is the Zpack - Random Maps for ZDoom, which is in just about every way the same concept from the Community Chest maps and applied to the ZDoom engine. More scripted events, more new enemies, new challenges, and fantastic looking maps. Since it's the work of multiple authors, some maps shine more than others. That said, I think it's a pretty good look at what the engine is capable of and a pretty fun set of maps.

The second Zdoom community project is the ZDoom Community Map. This WAD is basically the same exact concept applied to from the Zpack and applied to a single map. When I said that multiple authors meant mixed bag, I said that with this in mind as the exception. Multiple authors passing the same map to eachother over the course of months means polish and man, does this shit ever shine. This map is huuuuuuge and just about all of it plays incredibly well. Everything is balanced and nothing is completely unfair. This is the bar that today's mappers shoot for. It takes about an hour to complete, but it's a whole hour of awesome DOOMing.

Knee Deep in ZDoom is the first chapter of the original DOOM remade for the brand new engine. From the dude who made TUTNT comes something that gets entirely too much praise. Mind, this WAD is absolutely fantastic, but it's far more popular and well known than his other works. Yes, this is a biased post. Anyways, if you liked the first Episode of the original game, you'll probably like this. THIS WAD IS MEANT FOR THE DOOM.WAD, NOT THE DOOM2.WAD

Deus Vult 2 is DOOM through a different lense from people who have a different view of what DOOM should be than myself. That said, this WAD is absolutely fantastic and a must play. I shall quote the Cacowards: "DVII's brilliant design takes the player from location to location, slowly building a story told in the maps. You are begin in a secret research lab and journey to Japan, Egypt, Outer Space, Hell, and even Minas Morgul in your quest to defeat the Demonic invasion of earth. Words cannot do justice to the beauty of this wad, but to put it in simple terms: If you do not play this wad, the alleged baby Jesus will kill a kitten."

Urban Brawl is to Final Fight as Action DOOM was to Contra. Do I really need to say more?

Simplicity is basically an attempt to marry the ZDoom community and the classic gameplay of the original game and in that, it succeeds. This is easily one of the most lauded mods in the community and worth at least a look if you're at all interested in DOOM.

Wow, that's a lot of stuff.

I want my DOOM closer to DOOM 3's survival horror ways

For whatever reason, I feel the urge to devote a section to this concept. The DOOM games were never really meant to be creepy and the only scares tended to come from monster closests. Still, some mappers have attempted to do wonderful things here.

Hellcore 2.0 is a really odd set of maps. Some of them are almost entirely empty with some really devilishly placed traps while others are fucking killfests. In the traditional perspective, this would be seen as bad, but as it's been pointed at before, they really wanted to go for something different here. Basically, this is a set of maps about empowerment. You start out with nothing and are pretty much forced to run from a lot of encounters and traps if you hope to survive. Eventually, you get empowered and get a chance to take revenge on what had stumped you before. After this short high, the game throws you back at impossible situations that you have to weasel your way out of. You can't play these maps like traditional DOOM maps and the sooner you stop, the more fun you'll have.

The City of the Dead - Apocalypse is another map from the TUTNT dude and it's a pretty good one. That said, it's here for a reason. There are few pickups to be had and plenty of traps to find yourself placed in. The biggest star here is the atmosphere, though. This is a set of maps that is all about the atmosphere.

Unloved is basically Silent Hill 4: The Room done in the DOOM engine. This is probably my second favorite WAD that I've listed and it's truly fantastic. There's great architecture to be seen and the game is balanced incredibly well. Mind, the balance is set more towards giving you just barely enough of what you need to get by, but hell, it works. If you want to see it in action, Self-plug #2

Garrison, what I want from my DOOM experience is comedy, can you help me?

I'm going to keep this one really short and just list the only funny thing that has ever been done with DOOM. Mock 2: The Speed of Stupid is yet another community map set, only this time, the intended goal was to make the worst thing fucking possible. Anyone can make something bad, but it takes true artisans to come up with what you'll find in this WAD. There's a map that's entirely composed of elevators lifts. There's a bullethell map. There's a map designed solely to piss off speedrunners. There's a map that has a Vampire Killer remix made entirely out of Baron of Hell noises. This map is another one that has to be seen to be believed. It doesn't play well at all and it really isn't possible to complete without cheats. If you want the bulletpoint experience, I'm afraid I'm going to have to self-plug #3

Okay, so what about the other stuff?

Alright, I guess I can talk about some other DOOM projects while I'm here. First off, people who grew up with N64 and DOOM have probably played DOOM64 at some point in their lives. This is a good thing as DOOM 64 is practically everything I ever wanted out of a DOOM experience. Sadly, it was only ever released on the N64 (hurdur) and DOOM's ardent fanbase was cut out entirely. NO MORE. Absolution is some kind of magical port of DOOM64 and converted into a more traditional DOOM engine. This exists entirely out of the bounds of everything I've talked about thus far, so I'm afraid you're going to have to refer to their instructions if you want to give this thing a try. I highly recommend it as the DOOM64 maps are some of the best maps in the series and the atmosphere that's evoked is truly outrageous. And for you people out there who think it isn't DOOM without heavy metal midi ripoffs, the original soundtrack is optional, so you can play with the DOOM II soundtrack instead if you so wish it.

Finally, for you roguelike nuts out there, DoomRL is one of the most fun ones to come out in a long time. If you're curious, Stiv has done a decent LP of it so far, so maybe check that out as well. I won't lie, the use of the original midi music and the quotes from the DOOM comic really make the game what it is, but it's pretty fun outside of those two things as well.

----

So yeah, I kind of like DOOM. I hope some of you fools like it as well and hopefully this post will provide at least someone with a fun time. Like I said up at the very top, go ahead and use this thread for DOOM discussion and feel free to ignore all the stuff that I posted here. I'm just happy when I see other people giving praise to one of my favorite games of all time.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:59 PM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

Holy crap I didn't expect the wall of text. There's some good reading in there, though admittedly I haven't finished it yet.

Doom never really did anything for me, but I understood the appeal enough to appreciate it. I did playthrough Doom 64 all the way though, so I'm rather proud of that.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:13 AM
gatchapon 3*

great post, dude.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:13 AM
Banned

I totally did like six book reports in middle school on Dafydd ab Hugh and Brad Linaweaver's novel series.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:02 AM
concentrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Flash View Post
I totally did like six book reports in middle school on Dafydd ab Hugh and Brad Linaweaver's novel series.
I guess there's a novelization of just about everything, huh.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:06 AM
Shall we praise the sun?

(Sorry.)

I love me some Doom. It's so much fun to play an FPS where you don't have to worry about reloading or headshots or whatever. All you really have to think about is your positioning relative to the enemies and their projectiles and picking the right weapon for the situation. It helps that you move at race car speeds.

I didn't really learn to appreciate Doom until I played it on the PS1, though. On the PC I would always iddqd, idkfa and idspispopd as soon as I hit a snag. I didn't know the cheat codes for the PS1, so that forced me to play properly.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:13 AM
d.o_o.b

This year I played my first non-shareware DOOM level.

Good times!
Old 11-17-2010, 03:22 AM
d.o_o.b

Also, the super shotgun is still the most satisfying weapon to appear in an FPS.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:35 AM

I'm gonna be playing those for a while. Great post Garr!
Old 11-17-2010, 03:54 AM
concentrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid View Post
Also, the super shotgun is still the most satisfying weapon to appear in an FPS.
On the other hand, the BFG is pretty anticlimatic.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:30 AM
d.o_o.b

Yeah, as far as completely ridiculous weapons go, I prefer the cerebral bore.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:07 AM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli T View Post
I guess there's a novelization of just about everything, huh.
TO be fair, it was much better than the movie adaptation.

Not to mention they were weird, connecting the game's events to Mormon teachings and all that.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:21 AM
swimming with nanocarp

If you would like to own some good, old Doom, watch Steam's Black Friday and Christmas sales. Last year I got id's entire catalog (Commander Keen, Dooms, Quakes, Wolfensteins, etc.) for the stupid price of $23.79.

Thanks for the good post!
Old 11-17-2010, 08:53 AM
My motives are unknown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASandoval View Post
TO be fair, it was much better than the movie adaptation.

Not to mention they were weird, connecting the game's events to Mormon teachings and all that.

Somewhere in the third book the story wanders off into left field. Eventually the plot has nothing to do with Doom anymore and becomes some sort of overreaching attempt at high-concept science fiction. I don't remember the point of it all but I do remember that the main characters had a pair of talking gorilla sidekicks named Sears and Roebuck. And the daemons were controlled by evil aliens who looked like artichokes.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid View Post
Quote:
I've always been a fan of the plasma gun.

Great post Garrison. I love me some DOOM and usually go back to it once a year. Crazy thing, I'm pretty sure my copy of it is a copy of a copy of a copy of the original copy that I got from a friend on four 3 1/2 floppies.

What I'm saying is I have never legally owned DOOM.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:09 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASandoval View Post
Holy crap I didn't expect the wall of text.
Seriously. But yeah, Doom is without a doubt one of my favorite games of all time and I wouldn't be the gamer I am today if I hadn't played it. Obviously it looks awful by today's standards, but the action is just as fast and fun as it was in 1993. An instant classic that, more or less, spawned one of the (if not the single most) most popular genre in all of gaming. Yeah, I know about Wolfenstein 3D, but Doom and it's engine was the first FPS to really catch on.

Also, Final Doom is amazing. More people need to play it. Plutonia is indeed rape you in the ass hard but it's also awesome. TNT is more manageable and great. Doom 1 and Doom 2 are obviously fantastic as well. Doom 1 is probably one of the best paced games of all time, which is a weird honor to bestow upon a game I know. The difficulty in Doom 2 is a bit more scatter shot, but still pretty even.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Little Waves

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
I've always been a fan of the plasma gun.
On that note, I like the original effect of the BFG from one of the pre-release builds.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Your life is forfeit

Man, I'm such a Mac-owning cliché. All the talk of WAD games made me think, "Whoa, I should really get around to playing those Marathon mods from back in the day."

I also need to play the copy of Doom II that I downloaded ages ago on XBLA. Old-school shooters + Xbox 360 controller = <3
Old 11-17-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
The cover should have looked more intriguing and creepy than this. This looks like mercenaries doing a family portrait.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:35 PM
tiny little rocks

Wow, awesome opening post.

I remember having to pick my jaw up off the floor the first time I saw Doom at a neighbor's house. Good times.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:50 PM
Gettin' dizzy

Alixsar, Doom guy comic please.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryChrist View Post
Somewhere in the third book the story wanders off into left field. Eventually the plot has nothing to do with Doom anymore and becomes some sort of overreaching attempt at high-concept science fiction. I don't remember the point of it all but I do remember that the main characters had a pair of talking gorilla sidekicks named Sears and Roebuck. And the daemons were controlled by evil aliens who looked like artichokes.
The Artichoke aliens were all called Fred and they were killed before the heroes got there by another race of aliens who evolved into DNA strips.

And in the last book the heroes teamed up with a bunch of surviving humans and started a revolution against the evil DNA aliens and the DNA aliens responded by controlling the humans and putting the heroes brains inside a computer so they could relive their adventures in the first book.

Then the main character wrestled one of the DNA aliens souls. And then he killed it and the book then ended with a sequel hook, but there was never another one written, so we are left to forever wonder where they woke up after throwing the DNA chains soul off a cliff.

In other words: those books were so stupid they looped back around to being awesome.

...But then they kept going, and ended up right back at stupid.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:03 PM
There he is!

I played all of Ultimate Doom for the first time about a year and a half ago. It still holds up, except when it expects you to jump to platforms without any up-down mouselook.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:10 PM
Kills Thousands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr82 View Post
I played all of Ultimate Doom for the first time about a year and a half ago. It still holds up, except when it expects you to jump to platforms without any up-down mouselook.
Well, then I've got good news for you.

Plug that badboy into ZDoom and you get simulated mouselook. Plug it into GZDoom and you've got true mouselook and real 3D worlds. I haven't played with traditional controls in years.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Fun Club Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimJimm View Post
Jimm, Doom guy scream please.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:28 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimJimm View Post
Alixsar, Doom guy comic please.
don't you people know how to Google

I am mentioning Chex Quest in this thread.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:48 PM
Gettin' dizzy

Bong Bill, Its only because you dont know how much it means to Alixsar.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:21 PM
swimming with nanocarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
What I'm saying is I have never legally owned DOOM.
To this day, I don't think I've ever seen a real, retail disk or disc of anything related to Doom.

The first time I ever owned them outright was when I bought them all on Steam (oh, and I guess I bought the original on XBLA a while before that too). I figure that makes up for grade school piracy. yes I know it doesn't work like that!
Old 11-17-2010, 08:48 PM
My motives are unknown!

One of the more fun experiences I've had with Doom was using DeHackEd to create a chainsaw that rapid-fired heat seeking exploding barrels. It was almost as cool as hacking Command and Conquer: Red Alert so that guard dogs could fire SCUD missiles.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:53 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

This is the only Doom that matters.

Tags
doom , first-person shooters , huge guts , id software , rip and tear