The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 06-13-2017, 07:02 AM
Fifth Business

I know Capcom has no intention of doing anything with Kller7 ever again, but I've realized that a Killer7 character on the roster would probably be the most exciting and interesting thing possible to me. Garcian all walking in and walking out of the area for the pre- and post-battle stuff, but rapidly shifting between the different personas for various moves and combos, turning into Harman and breaking out the anti-tank rifle for his big ULTIMATE MOVE or whatever...yeah...yeeeeaaaaah...
Old 06-13-2017, 08:17 AM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
Bionic Commando '09 Spencer kind of made sense when MVC3 game out in 2010, but seeing him now (not to mention RE5 Chris) really just seems like they're reusing models they had lying around.
Eh, I'm willing to give RE5 Chris a free pass. I know the game was years ago, but Chris is Chris and what he wears doesn't change that. I suspect he'll receive at least one or two of his modern outfits (like his Umbrella gear) down the line. It's not like he's mind-controlled Jill, after all.

Spencer, though? Yeah it's weird they brought him back, particularly in his not so beloved 2009 AAA form that angsted all the shit up. Not a Sonic 2006, but still maybe a thing it'd be in poor taste to keep reminding people about. "Hey, remember when we made that awesome 2.5D remake and immediately destroyed all its goodwill with a modern 3D sequel featuring a bunch of horrible retcons, cutscene bosses, and invisible walls of death?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deptford View Post
I know Capcom has no intention of doing anything with Kller7 ever again, but I've realized that a Killer7 character on the roster would probably be the most exciting and interesting thing possible to me. Garcian all walking in and walking out of the area for the pre- and post-battle stuff, but rapidly shifting between the different personas for various moves and combos, turning into Harman and breaking out the anti-tank rifle for his big ULTIMATE MOVE or whatever...yeah...yeeeeaaaaah...
Neat idea, but I'd suspect it'd be very resource-heavy. For all the good 3D is for cutting costs and space on animation, 2D is better for adding extra characters and forms 'cuz a few extra sprite assets won't eat as much space as extra models. Could work if it's simplified though, like maybe a brief stylized aural projection of the fighter whose style Garcian is using as he attacks.

Speaking of Capcom roster wants though, I'm hoping we'll see Jack Baker join the crew, even if it's just as DLC. Think about it: Shovel swings, killer paint roller attacks, Chainsaw Scissorman, and his specials could be "I'm gonna take you for a ride!" and his monster transformation. Guy's bound to be fun.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:27 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post

Speaking of Capcom roster wants though, I'm hoping we'll see Jack Baker join the crew, even if it's just as DLC. Think about it: Shovel swings, killer paint roller attacks, Chainsaw Scissorman, and his specials could be "I'm gonna take you for a ride!" and his monster transformation. Guy's bound to be fun.
"Welcome to the family, son!"
Old 06-13-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
Oh baby! That's what I'm talking about! Thanks for the info.
Yes they did though the universal launcher seems to be crouching hard punch. The demo is also on Xbox now too. Movement just seems really stiff and not as fluid as 3 which I absolutely loved in 3.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:36 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Gah I could probably beat Ultron Sigma in this demo if I didn't have to use Thor and Spencer...
Old 06-13-2017, 04:24 PM
Just bear with me

I've played the demo. Here are my thoughts so far, in case you missed them on Twitter:

* Two punches, two kicks. Oh yeah. Tag teams have been restricted to two characters and I don't have any great love for the infinity stones (I had Marvel Super Heroes for Saturn; didn't care for them there either) but overall it seems pretty solid. Combos chain with little difficulty and high jumps aren't as nerfed as they were in MvC3. It's a promising engine.
* Geez, I hope the story mode is better than this. It's split between forced, eye-rolling dialog and thumping generic mooks. It distributes the gameplay among six different playable characters so you get a pretty good taste of what's to come, but I desperately hope the finished product is more varied.
* The graphics aren't as good as those in Injustice 2, but it's more colorful and offers better contrast, which is appreciated. It does look better than Marvel vs Capcom 3, with more realistic and detailed characters.
* It's too early to tell for sure, but it looks like Capcom is going for a more serious, less self-aware tone with this installment. I'm guessing it's to compete directly with Injustice 2, but it has me worried that it'll lose a lot of personality in the process. (Then again, it would be nice to get away from those ugly comic book fonts in MvC3...)
* Shoryuken motions are indeed double-taps down now. I imagine this will frustrate some players, but it's familiar territory for me, having played Guardian Heroes in the 1990s. Beyond that, cheap to mid-range joysticks don't really do dragon punches well, so this will be a big improvement for players who can't afford the luxury sticks by Qanba and Mad Catz.

Okay, now onto the characters.

* Rocket Raccoon is back, bringing along his pal Groot and ditching the puzzling British accent he had in UMvC3. He seems to be an improvement overall, similar to the way he was in the previous game but with some moves added (digging underground?) and others taken away. Groot works as a striker, kind of like Captain Commando's friends in Marvel vs Capcom.
* I don't like Thor. He's a little too close to the boilerplate superhero... pompous, brawny, and with all the personality of an Ikea chair. Not too exciting to use either, unless there's something I'm missing here.
* Chris from Resident Evil, on the other hand, is pretty satisfying, with tons of weapons and some memorable, brutal attacks (ie dropping to the floor with guns blazing and snapping the necks of foes up close). I never played him much in MvC3... maybe it's time that changed.
* Hey, it's Mega Man X! He seems similar to the original blue bomber in Marvel vs. Capcom (right down to holding hard punch to charge his blaster), but I didn't really get a feel for him. Seems okay; he'd probably grow on me with repeated plays.

Overall, I'm optimistic. The story mode needs a lot of work (and Street Fighter V suggests that they'll never catch up to NetherRealm) but the core of the game is quite solid, and I'm sure it'll be tons of fun to play through the arcade mode. I won't pre-order this, but I'll be watching its development and critical reviews closely.

Also, Sigma is a bastard. He's always been a bastard, and that hasn't changed here.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:27 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
Gah I could probably beat Ultron Sigma in this demo if I didn't have to use Thor and Spencer...
You're not supposed to beat him that early.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:59 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot.EXE View Post
Yeah but it feels like I could if I handled the characters better. I mean he's hard but he's not too bad.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:52 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
I actually damaged him when he jumped in for some assist attack. Its just once I took down his partner did he become totally invincible.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:46 PM
whatever it takes

Default Why does every character in this game look like they're fucking tripping balls

Look at X

Look at Dante

Look at X!!!!
Old 06-14-2017, 08:21 PM
Highway To HFIL

what the fuck
Old 06-15-2017, 02:40 AM
Mystery Contraption

Be fair to X; he's hanging out with a talking raccoon with a laser gun.

And while he's used to that kind of thing, they're usually eight feet tall and made of metal.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:05 AM

Exclamation

I "beat" ultron sigma. I say that because once you get him down to 1/3 of a health bard the game forces you into the loss cutscenes the second you land that final hit. Also the dataminers got ahold of this and the results are interesting. Hunter, Jedah, Frank West, Mike Haggar and Nemesis all have slots. For Marvel we have Dormammu, Spider-Man, Venom, and Winter soldier.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:56 AM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventrue View Post
I "beat" ultron sigma. I say that because once you get him down to 1/3 of a health bard the game forces you into the loss cutscenes the second you land that final hit. Also the dataminers got ahold of this and the results are interesting. Hunter, Jedah, Frank West, Mike Haggar and Nemesis all have slots. For Marvel we have Dormammu, Spider-Man, Venom, and Winter soldier.
Like I said, you weren't supposed to win that early.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Like I said, you weren't supposed to win that early.
Doesn't mean I wasn't gonna try.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:27 AM

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! OMG! I went from maybe to day 1. I'm already thinking the horrible things with Jedah!

Old 07-16-2017, 11:29 AM

Double posting here's a twitch link.

Video
Old 07-16-2017, 03:06 PM
Inkster

Jedah is arguably the best looking character in this game, hands down. He's also the kind of addition I can get behind. The leaked list is looking pretty legit at this point.

Gamora was shown off too.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:21 PM

Chun-Li's face was also fixed.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:15 PM
Come, noble knights!

Eh, Jedah just ain't the same without the gallons and gallons of blood used in his every attack. I get why that was cut (It's much more likely to net an M rating in 3D), but still, that's his thing, you know? It's like Bayonetta without guns on her feet, or a Mario who can't jump.

Still, nice to see him on board and in action.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Eh, Jedah just ain't the same without the gallons and gallons of blood used in his every attack. I get why that was cut (It's much more likely to net an M rating in 3D), but still, that's his thing, you know? It's like Bayonetta without guns on her feet, or a Mario who can't jump.

He still has it! It's just purple goop now!
Old 07-16-2017, 07:54 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventrue View Post
He still has it! It's just purple goop now!
Purple is only half red.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Purple is only half red.
At least he still has the implied blood contract?
Old 07-17-2017, 11:24 AM
Just bear with me

The lack of blood doesn't bother me all that much. I mean, geez, many of the characters are androids anyway.

Jedah looks pretty good. All of the newcomers in Vampire Savior were well designed, but Jedah seemed unjustly eclipsed by B.B. Hood and Q-Bee. I mean, he was the first boss in a Darkstalkers game who felt like he belonged there, and he never got the credit he deserved for that.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:35 AM
Highway To HFIL

Jedah got me real hyped so I got the demo and... oof, this demo ain't good
Old 07-17-2017, 12:03 PM

Gamora's design is great, and she looks real fun to play!
Old 07-17-2017, 12:45 PM

The demo is definitely not the best when it comes to actually trying the game. Many people said it feels great in a 1v1 scenario.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:28 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
The lack of blood doesn't bother me all that much. I mean, geez, many of the characters are androids anyway.
Eh, I'm not as broken up about that as I sound. Like I said, I get why it had to happen.

Quote:
Jedah looks pretty good. All of the newcomers in Vampire Savior were well designed, but Jedah seemed unjustly eclipsed by B.B. Hood and Q-Bee. I mean, he was the first boss in a Darkstalkers game who felt like he belonged there, and he never got the credit he deserved for that.
I'm sure he's also overshadowed by Lilith, who's basically "What if Morrigan, but jail bait?" Anyway, when the other major non-head/bust swaps added to the roster are a psychopath Little Red Riding Hood with guns and knives and a bee lady, you're bound to get eclipsed.

Speaking of, I really hope we'll get B.B. Hood back on the MvC roster, even if it's as DLC.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:10 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:

It was never blood, though. It was always glowing purple goop, if memory serves, which is weird considering the Darkstalkers / Vampire games actually did have a fair amount of blood in them.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:16 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
It was never blood, though. It was always glowing purple goop, if memory serves, which is weird considering the Darkstalkers / Vampire games actually did have a fair amount of blood in them.
No, that was censorship exclusive to the localization of the PlayStation port of Darkstalkers 3 and some of the arcade versions. Elsewhere, his blood is very red.

Tags
capcom , fighting games , hulk smash brothers , mahvel , mango sentinel , no x-men no peace , scooby-doom where are you , so pringles