The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 07-05-2017, 05:59 AM
Child of the Sun and Sky

Default Dream Quest, the deck-building roguelike

When the Steam sale started, I bought Dream Quest. I finally beat it for the first time (on medium difficulty, though), after playing for 21 hours. This is a lot of time, because it's great.

General Info: Dream Quest is a roguelike where you have initially four classes - Wizard, Thief, Warrior and Priest (but there are roughly ten more to unlock). You play through a dungeon with three floors, with a boss on each floor. The pattern of a floor is chess-board like, where each field can contain a monster, treasure, shop, walls or other stuff. Like here:

Yes, the graphics are ugly, but they are also totally sufficient. I stopped noticing them after five minutes. Your character is the stick-guy on the upper left, between the skeleton and the vampire. Also, monsters don't move. So you can look around and choose what to fight. Exceptions are two or three monsters in the lower levels who are hidden, until you step on there field, in which moment they attack you. Clicking on a monster reveals the level (level range for you and the monsters is 1-10).

Fighting: Fighting is done with a cards. The starting deck for all classes I played is pretty similar - everyone have some attack 1 and 2 cards (which deal one and two damage, respectively), the wizard has three mana 1 cards, the thief has a card that lets you draw another card when played, and so on. You find cards in chests, might get some at level ups or buy them in shops.

Deck Building: Building a good deck means keeping it small, for most classes. Every card you own is used in combat, but you draw only a few of them. So if you have 30 cards in your deck but can hold only 3 in your hand, you might never get the strong card you want. If all your cards are used up the discarded cards get reshuffled and drawn again. There are also ways to discard cards from your deck, like the monastery (the building with the cross) or leveling up.

Classes: As mentioned, there are four starting classes, with more getting unlocked if you get certain achievements (beat the first floor with all four starting classes unlocks the Samurai). They all get different abilities at specific levels - Wizard can generate 10 mana (cooldown of 2 battles), Samurai regenerates all health after each fight, and so on. Especially the four basic classes play very different, with the unlocked ones feeling like variations of the basic classes, which still feel different enough.

Achievements: You can from the start look through all the available achievements, how to get them and what they unlock. You also generate points by playing, and can buy achievements that way too. I find them really motivating, especially at the beginning where you die, but get small passive bonuses like two more starting mana (which helps a lot at the beginning, but isn't much in the long run).

Summary: The game is great and deep, and if you like deck building and roguelikes you will probably like this one. I like the former and not the latter, but this one works for me. Like all roguelikes it is pretty tough, you need to know a class very well, so you can make a plan for how to build your deck.

So, anyone else playing this? Any interesting stories? I will write about my first victory later, but this post is long enough as it is.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:05 AM
Mystery Contraption

I've had it on my phone for a while. It's quite fun but getting past the visuals is a tall order
Old 07-05-2017, 08:53 AM
Crabjörn

How similar is it to Desktop Dungeons? Because the answer seems to be "extremely".
Old 07-05-2017, 11:13 AM
?!

Love this game. Been playing it for years on and off on iOS. I've cleared the dungeon on hard with every class, though I've only gotten a true victory with about a third of them.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:06 PM
le petite mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I've had it on my phone for a while. It's quite fun but getting past the visuals is a tall order
I really want to try out this game but I really cannot get over this.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:29 PM
Bertolli?!?...

I wish I'd found this thread, oh, say, 24 hours ago! Now the Steam sale is over and I'm done buying games for a while. >_<
Old 07-05-2017, 11:18 PM
do-do-doo do-doo

I bought a game called Monster Slayers during the sale, which is apparently inspired by (i.e. very similar to) Dream Quest. I only played about an hour of it just now, but it's pretty neat.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:55 AM
Child of the Sun and Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG View Post
Love this game. Been playing it for years on and off on iOS. I've cleared the dungeon on hard with every class, though I've only gotten a true victory with about a third of them.
That is pretty impressive. What do you mean by true victory? Hardest difficulty? Because my highscores of Ranger and Wizard only have two stars, after beating the game on medium difficulty. But that would mean you have beaten the game with every class on Veloceraptor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalir View Post
How similar is it to Desktop Dungeons? Because the answer seems to be "extremely".
I never played DD, but from looking at the steam page you don't build a town in Dream Quest, and there is also nothing that I would consider to be puzzles. Aside, the main draw for me in Dream Quest is the deck building mechanism and the battles which are fought with these decks, and that one seems to not exist in DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahitsu View Post
I really want to try out this game but I really cannot get over this.
As mentioned, I soon stopped noticing them, and I know from reviews that it's the same for other people. But I generally don't care for graphics, so that might be just me. But I think it's only five bucks while on sale, so maybe play for an hour to see if you can look past them, and if it doesn't work get a refund. For me it's definitely one of the best buys in the last year, or even longer.

By now, I actually find the graphics charming, and I really appreciate that it isn't ASCII-Art, so I know what I'm looking at, but also minimalistic enough to not waste my time with drawn out animations.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:34 AM
?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixSH View Post
That is pretty impressive. What do you mean by true victory? Hardest difficulty? Because my highscores of Ranger and Wizard only have two stars, after beating the game on medium difficulty. But that would mean you have beaten the game with every class on Veloceraptor.
It's been a while, but I think the third star is for getting the per-class achievement for reducing the final boss' HP below a certain threshold. I've played almost all my games at Velociraptor and I'm pretty sure I still only had two stars for many classes while I was working my way through the achievements.

By "true victory" I meant actually defeating the final boss. You're not really meant to win that fight (hence the achievements for knocking off a small percentage of its HP with each class), but it's technically possible. I've done it many times with Professor, a few times with Bard/Monk, and maybe once apiece with Wizard/Thief (I think; the slightly lower scores for them makes me wonder if maybe I just got close).
Old 07-06-2017, 04:52 PM

I picked this up during the Steam sale and I've been enjoying it, but I also seem to be pretty terrible at it; I have yet to make it past the second floor. I feel like I must be doing something fundamentally wrong, because if I stick to fighting monsters that are at my level or lower whenever possible, I tend to eventually die from attrition. Then again, if I go after higher level monsters, I usually get munched in short order.

Actually, now that I think of it, I probably haven't been diligent enough about following the first rule of deckbuilding games; maybe I should be more aggressive about using monasteries and anvils to get all the crappy Attack 1 cards out of my decks.

For what it's worth, I do have one specific question about this game: what am I supposed to do about genies? Every time one of those smug fuckers shows up as the first floor boss, I might as well just give up right then, because once he armors up and starts throwing out Three Wishes every turn, that's pretty much a game over. And I've never been able to throw out enough damage to kill him on the first or second turn before he deploys all his bullshit.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:39 AM
Child of the Sun and Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG View Post
By "true victory" I meant actually defeating the final boss. You're not really meant to win that fight (hence the achievements for knocking off a small percentage of its HP with each class), but it's technically possible. I've done it many times with Professor, a few times with Bard/Monk, and maybe once apiece with Wizard/Thief (I think; the slightly lower scores for them makes me wonder if maybe I just got close).
I wondered about that one. Over 850 HP seems ridiculously high. Maybe I'll ask for tips later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChris View Post
I picked this up during the Steam sale and I've been enjoying it, but I also seem to be pretty terrible at it; I have yet to make it past the second floor. I feel like I must be doing something fundamentally wrong, because if I stick to fighting monsters that are at my level or lower whenever possible, I tend to eventually die from attrition. Then again, if I go after higher level monsters, I usually get munched in short order.
If you were terrible you wouldn't make it out of the first floor.
Seriously, especially the Wizard was hard to learn for me, and it took some time before I reached floor 2. Even now, after beating the third floor I still die at least half the time on the second.

Also, something else I realized late, if you click on the X on the upper right of the character portrait you open a menu. Within that, you find all the monsters you have fought against up to now. Click on the monster and you get some info and a tip.

I only realised this after a long time, but the amount of experience a monster gives is as high as it's level. Use that and the healing fields to make a plan. Keep weak monsters around, so that you can level up and heal after a tough fight. In general, look through as much of the floor as you can before fighting anything.

Quote:
Actually, now that I think of it, I probably haven't been diligent enough about following the first rule of deckbuilding games; maybe I should be more aggressive about using monasteries and anvils to get all the crappy Attack 1 cards out of my decks.
This is absolutely essential. There is a talent on the third floor, which lets you delete three cards, and I often use it. Thief and Ranger can have huge decks, because they can play a ton of cards per round, but for everyone else you need to get rid of cards you don't need. And don't waste the anvils on the Attack 1 cards. Just get rid of them, even if you have to pay extra money.

In general, you should have a plan at the end of the first floor. Only add cards that help you with that plan. Even if a card seems good, if it doesn't fit into your deck it's only a hindrance.

Quote:
For what it's worth, I do have one specific question about this game: what am I supposed to do about genies?
You probably have something that you don't need - actions or mana especially. As the wizard, I just let him take my one action, none of my cards needed them. I either specialized in fire (deals a lot of damage) or poison (take my cards, jerk, you will die even if I can't do anything more). But generally you need to think about what hurts you the least. Don't give him more or yourself less cards. I find these to be the worst choices.

Elsewise I guess your decks might be lacking. If you can't take him down in the third round, you are in trouble. Is there a class you are mainly using?
Old 07-17-2017, 11:08 AM
Child of the Sun and Sky

Finally won with a Thief, by filling the game with action-cards, two back-attacks (is that the name? They deal one point damage for every played action card) and a dice card (like back-attack, but two points of damage).

Additionally I got the equipment that gives you a 10% dodge chance and lets you draw a card every time you dodge. I also had two dodge cards, which decrease the leftover probability that you will be hit by 50 % until your next turn. If I played both cards I had a 77% chance that a card of the enemy would just do nothing, for every card the enemy would play this turn.

Finally, I had a Troll Hide card (after playing this you get two HP back at the beginning of every turn for the rest of the fight) and a Mirror card (this replicates the effect of an already played action card). If I played both cards in one round I could increase my HP regen by 4 points each round, which would make me unbeatable if the fight would take long enough.

Not that it was necessary, as I found out that the Phoenix was my floor 3 boss, so I leveled to 10 and choose the talent that reduced elemental damage by half, so his fire was way less dangerous.

I also dealt a ridiculously amount of damage each round, after two or three rounds of setup. A ton of action cards that just let me draw more cards and gave me more turns, which would boost back-attacks and dices, plus sidestep, which lets me draw a card, give me a turn and double the amount of damage the next attack (like back-attack or dice) would do. I had three of these cards, and the effect stacks.

The Phoenix has a pretty low amount of HP, but when he dies he transforms into an egg that has the same amount of HP as the Pheonix. If you can't destroy it in one turn, the Phoenix gets revived with full HP. But when he died the first time, I only had to play my ridiculous amount of action cards, all my sidesteps and the dice card. The egg died in one hit.

The deck was also strong enough to defeat one of these stupid revenants. Up to now they always killed me. This time I set everything up in the first phase, so I would get healed by 24 HP every round or so. I did only at the end realize that he would reduce my max HP all the time. Didn't matter, he got destroyed.

When I beat the game with the ranger, I had a deck similar to this, but with more garbage (still attack 1 and 2 cards) and not all the awesome stuff, so I couldn't deal that much damage. But I had the talent that reduces elemental damage, and I think some defensive equipment, so the Pheonix couldn't hurt me that bad. I couldn't destroy the egg in one turn, though. But, as I found out there, the egg has fewer HP every time the Pheonix dies. I had to kill the stupid thing four or five times for him to finally have a low enough amount of HP for me to destroy him.

That makes Thief, Ranger and Wizard. From the bosses, I still have to beat the Lich and the Frostfairy thing, than I will finally have killed them all one time. Next up is the Priest, whom I played some time before the Wizard, so I have ideas how to play him. The Warrior will be harder, I'm still not sure what to do with her exactly.