The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 07-15-2017, 10:37 AM
I. Love. It.

Default Please Capcom don't hurt 'em: Mega Maker fan project

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
Well this looks pretty cool. A Mega Man level maker with a user-friendly interface.

Looks like it runs on the same Gamemaker Mega Man engine that Make a Good Mega Man Level 2 runs on (development still being finalized there, btw, there were some shenanigans last month that slowed production down, now they're saying August) but without having to use the Gamemaker interface.

Here's hoping Capcom won't bring the hammer down.
So it actually came out and so far there's no C&D from the Capcoms. Fingers crossed!

First of all, this is much closer to Super Mario Maker than, say, SMBX, in that it's very limited. You work with the resources the maker gives you, no custom assets, graphics, music, enemies, etc. So far it does seem to have a lot of polish and it's pretty easy to get in and play games, once you go through the registering rigamarole.

There's even a cute level making tutorial with Dr. Wily and Dr. Light that has actual good level making advice. Nice job, fangame team!

All levels are uploaded to the game's server, which is why they don't allow custom assets, so that's also kind of Mario Maker-y. Also, like Mario Maker, you need to be able to beat the level yourself before you upload it, so hopefully that will cut down on the total nonsense.

Let's maybe make some Megger Mans, Tyrants?
Old 07-15-2017, 10:59 AM
Serial Thread Killer

Well I am going to try this out at once.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:30 AM
Video World 14 is out!

Yeah I grabbed this. Realised I suck at making Mega Man levels!
Old 07-16-2017, 11:51 AM
Serial Thread Killer

I think I accidentally broke my game. I keep getting a fatal error on startup, and redownloading doesn't help. It's probably an issue with the online profile or something.

I haven't actually made anything yet but the editor isn't too bad. It's really limited, like Spoony said. But there's plenty of opportunities to be creative. If I can fix my error im going to try and make a stage that uses nothing but the magnet missile.

Unfortunately you can't put two bosses in a stage at once. No boss gauntlets!
Old 07-16-2017, 01:47 PM
Half-Ninja

So I've made a Work in Progress level. Anyone want to test it out, tell me how things are? Level ID: 23023

There are some things I know I'd like to change, such as the first Suzy enemy, the Press right before the boss (doesn't interact with the room well), the weapon loadout (which was really kinda just thrown together.) There's also things that I want to put into this level if they add more features (like conveyor belts and the like).

Hope you enjoy and if not, please tell me what doesn't work.

EDIT: So it appears I didn't play around with this enough because it turns out there ARE conveyor belts in this game. Guess I'll have to get around to that at some point, which means this level is going to drastically change.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:45 PM
Half-Ninja

Ok, I think I've completed the level so ignore the WIP from the post above. The level is called "The Factory." and the code is 24023. Any and all feedback would be welcome.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:01 PM
Inkster

I grabbed this too in the hopes that Mega Man levels are more my speed versus Super Mario levels (I didn't really click with Mario Maker, sad for me).
Old 07-16-2017, 07:02 PM
Serial Thread Killer

I stand corrected. You CAN put two bosses in a stage at once. I just...don't know how I did it.

Making megamin stages is hard
Old 07-17-2017, 05:08 PM
I. Love. It.

I finally completed a level, check out Dynamite Man, ID: 31740
Old 07-17-2017, 05:23 PM
Half-Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
I finally completed a level, check out Dynamite Man, ID: 31740
I liked it, mostly. I feel like the last two rooms are a bit too much... they don't leave much room for error.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:52 AM
I. Love. It.

Regarding the second-last room, you can cheese the jumps a bit by using Skull Barrier, it's spike-proof. You still need to do delicate hops, but it takes some of the edge off. In the last room you can get rid of the Cowboy Joe (forgot the actual name) by carefully firing under the bottom bomb, it's a tight fit but you can hit it.

I wanted to add those exploding enemies that leap from pits from Bomb Man's stage here, but they're not in the editor. None of the 'leap from pit' enemies are, from what I can see. There will be updates in the future, though, and I'm pretty sure they intend on adding more stuff. Right now I find the editor and everything to work great, it just needs... more.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:47 AM
Serial Thread Killer

The Factory

I think its a pretty good level in theory, and its got some good bits. But there's some weird things going on in it that drag it down.
  • Going up from the first screen you get that weird sliding transition. Its not a problem, its just weird. Might be better to put the ladder on the left.
  • The first section is pretty good. I like how you used conveyer belts all through the stage. Putting those enemies on them always throws me off, but they aren't too hard to deal with and keep you on your toes. Putting the enemies on platforms is also something I haven't seen a lot of people do yet.
  • However, putting an armored Joe on a platform, while that could be good in theory, is a time waster. You're just stuck there pegging away at him. Crash bombs could one-shot him, if you had them. Which is another point - I couldn't find many uses for the weapons you get. Snake is pretty useless, tomahawk is alright, but nothing the buster can't take care of.
  • Second section isn't quite as good. You have those spinny shooter guys (lets call them sprinklers) which aren't attached to the walls, and that's not good. Also it just doesn't have as much going for it as the first section, and feels really empty. Plus, there's a lot more waiting around for platforms to align up here since you're bogged down with sprinkler fire. I figured out to just use tomahawk on them so I could make the leap in one go, but only after dying to the spikes later on a few times first. To sum it up - you mostly run through this section, and don't do a whole lot.
  • I actually liked you're two spike screens but that might be because I'm a sucker for punishment. The conveyer-belt screen catches you immediately off guard cuz its hard to pay attention to which way the belts are spinning when you first drop in there. That isn't so bad, but the gyro platform one is really tight. Its great platforming and I like it, but it could afford being eased up a bit.
  • The worst part of the stage is the two sprinklers under conveyer belts. You can barely hit them, so you have no choice but to just try and run under them without getting hit. That's no fun when you get sent back on a belt.
  • Bomb man's setup is difficult if you're trying to hit him with his weakness, but its kind of hilarious that you can just stand in the middle and shoot him with the pea-shooter. He can't hurt you unless you let him. I think that was intentional?

Dynamite Man

The best thing you've got going here is that you nailed the tiles and background usage. I'm still struggling to get a grip with them in the levels I'm working on, but everything looks fantastic and appropriate here. Its a nice simple level, and I appreciate that the challenging bits all have workarounds.
  • The first screen is great. That whole segment is great. First screens are important!
  • I love the cannons. When I saw how they worked playing around with the builder I knew I had to do something like this, and now I've gotten some ideas.
  • There's a lot of weapons you can use and its up to you to figure out how to use them, which is great. Snake, as usual, I couldn't figure out how to use well but that's alright. If you have enough weapons to play around with, one or two that don't do much for you is A-okay.
  • The lower path seemed harder because i couldn't make that jump beneath the bonus room, until I realized I could Rush up there. I don't know if you knew that making that jump is deceptively hard because you bonk your head on the platforms of the room just above.
  • The last room is tricky and I just damage boosted through it. I played one cool level that blocked off it's foes with those bombs so I assumed it couldn't be shot through, and crash bombs just bounced off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL
Right now I find the editor and everything to work great, it just needs... more.
Ditto.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:16 PM
Serial Thread Killer

My turn! Making something serious takes way too long so I just made something silly.

Get off my lawn Cutman No. 37878
Old 07-18-2017, 04:17 PM
Half-Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isrieri View Post
The Factory

I think its a pretty good level in theory, and its got some good bits. But there's some weird things going on in it that drag it down.
Honestly, a lot of what you said is kinda what I was thinking would be issues.

Quote:
  • Going up from the first screen you get that weird sliding transition. Its not a problem, its just weird. Might be better to put the ladder on the left.
  • Yeah, that seems to be something with the engine...
    Quote:
  • The first section is pretty good. I like how you used conveyer belts all through the stage. Putting those enemies on them always throws me off, but they aren't too hard to deal with and keep you on your toes. Putting the enemies on platforms is also something I haven't seen a lot of people do yet.
  • That was something that I came up with when I thought the engine was more limited than it actually is...
    Quote:
  • However, putting an armored Joe on a platform, while that could be good in theory, is a time waster. You're just stuck there pegging away at him. Crash bombs could one-shot him, if you had them. Which is another point - I couldn't find many uses for the weapons you get. Snake is pretty useless, tomahawk is alright, but nothing the buster can't take care of.
  • Yeah, I wasn't 100% sure about the Joe... I'll have to look to see if there's a better enemy to put on there. As for the other two weapons, Snake I'll agree is pretty useless outside of the boss but Tomahawk does have its uses. It's very good for hitting the ceiling enemies.
    Quote:
  • Second section isn't quite as good. You have those spinny shooter guys (lets call them sprinklers) which aren't attached to the walls, and that's not good. Also it just doesn't have as much going for it as the first section, and feels really empty. Plus, there's a lot more waiting around for platforms to align up here since you're bogged down with sprinkler fire. I figured out to just use tomahawk on them so I could make the leap in one go, but only after dying to the spikes later on a few times first. To sum it up - you mostly run through this section, and don't do a whole lot.
  • The sprinklers thing not on walls is a glitch that supposedly the most recent patch fixed, but I haven't downloaded yet. But yeah, I actually made the first half of this level awhile ago when I was bored at work one day but I never finished it which is probably why the second half is that boring.
    Quote:
  • I actually liked you're two spike screens but that might be because I'm a sucker for punishment. The conveyer-belt screen catches you immediately off guard cuz its hard to pay attention to which way the belts are spinning when you first drop in there. That isn't so bad, but the gyro platform one is really tight. Its great platforming and I like it, but it could afford being eased up a bit.
  • These are the sections that I was the most unsure about, so I'm glad you liked them. I can definitely look into how to make that first one a little less tight.
    Quote:
  • The worst part of the stage is the two sprinklers under conveyer belts. You can barely hit them, so you have no choice but to just try and run under them without getting hit. That's no fun when you get sent back on a belt.
  • Tomahawk can hit them.
    Quote:
  • Bomb man's setup is difficult if you're trying to hit him with his weakness, but its kind of hilarious that you can just stand in the middle and shoot him with the pea-shooter. He can't hurt you unless you let him. I think that was intentional?
Honestly I don't have much to say about the fight.

There's some things in the stage I wanted to do differently if the maker had more options, like having enemy/obstacle dispensers above the conveyor belts.

Thanks for the feedback, I don't know when but I'm going to look into changing some things at some point.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:30 PM
Half-Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isrieri View Post
My turn! Making something serious takes way too long so I just made something silly.

Get off my lawn Cutman No. 37878
Interesting level, building it around Cutman's weapon. I have two issues with the level though, the rabbit enemies don't really work well with the weapons you have as options and the boss is really really difficult, especially with him not having any weakness. I couldn't beat him.

Tags
literal slap in the face , mega man