The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 07-11-2017, 10:19 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
You could've just thrown money at them?

Alternatively, rods?
So throw money at them either way?
Old 07-11-2017, 10:44 PM
hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
So throw money at them either way?
pretty much

though i couldn't tell you which one's cheaper

well i could but i'm too lazy to do the math
Old 07-12-2017, 03:24 AM
Fuckin' Crystals, maaaaan

It's undeniably rods. #Team750

that being said this is actually my first time through the game and I didn't know Zeninage was multi-target, nor did I really internalize that rods were as I'd only ever used them on single-target asshole bosses.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:11 PM
hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaularuKyrumo View Post
It's undeniably rods. #Team750
You say this, but I did the math anyway.

Before level 10, !Zeninage is actually cheaper, since at level 9, you'd need four rods, or 3000 gil. Meanwhile you're only spending 450 per enemy at that level, for a total of 2700 against the Puroboloses.

(Level 10 is a two-fold strike against !Zeninage: the cost goes up to 500/bomb for 3000 total, and Lenna is able to crack rods hard enough that she only needs 3 to kill, meaning only 2250 gil spent.)
Old 07-12-2017, 09:07 PM

"before level 10"

uh, yeah, if you're actually there and only level 10, you done fucked up
Old 07-12-2017, 09:14 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
You say this, but I did the math anyway.
aTurtleDoesMath
Old 07-12-2017, 10:38 PM
hi there

Quote:
"before level 10"

uh, yeah, if you're actually there and only level 10, you done fucked up
I dunno, if you can make it there without reaching level 10, that's pretty impressive.

(you can, technically, beat the entire game, bonus bosses included, GBA bonus bosses included, without ever seeing level 6)
Old 07-13-2017, 04:44 PM
*Hero of Lore - 20XX*

Default Summoner, Berserker, Berserker, Berserker

It's been a little while since I've !Mixed but as I recall, these can be pretty handy when you want to set up on a boss:
Code:
"Resist Fire" 	Ether + Eyedrop 
"Resist Ice" 	Phoenix Down + Antidote 	
"Resist Thunder"Phoenix Down + Eyedrop
Now I've seen these listed as "resists element damage" and "nullify element damage" but in my experience they make you absorb damage of that element. Want Yellow Dragons to heal you for a quarter of your HP? Want Omega to heal you with (exactly one of) his attacks?
Yeah you have to spend 1500 bucks on a single use, but it's a better return on investment than most of the Dark Matter mixes.
Code:
"Dragon Shield" 	Ether + Dragon Fang
This one nullifies ice, fire, and thunder damage. Much quicker to put up, but not quite as beneficial.

I haven't had much time to play, so I just beat the Dragon Grass. I decided to play with the hacked save file so the beginning of my run was kind of like a thief run with only Daggers for damage. Thankfully Remora is available before entering Walse Tower and Garula rolled right over. Paralysis prevents counterattacks, even the on-death variety like Titans Earthshaker.
Magissa and Forza were needlessly difficult as I didn't want to break the Frost Rod before I could buy replacements, but they were the only obstacle before Karnak. I spent more than 50 potions in that fight and had to chip away at Forzas HP from the back row with Daggers.
Finally getting Berserkers was a relief. Until I ended up with a party full of them anyway. I can't tell which I'm looking forward to more, getting a fifth job that lets me control a second party member, or being able to tell people I "rolled 4 Berserkers".
Old 07-15-2017, 09:45 PM

Hah, speaking of a 4-berserker run, I've gotten all the way to the MERGED WORLD at last. How the hell did I beat Exdeath, considering my garbo party? I fought a crapload of the Dark Warlocks in his castle, and one of them dropped a Power Staff. Beat someone with that, and it Berserks them. So I've been just buffing up everyone with Hastega, dropping Slow on enemies that are susceptible, and then slapping all the non-Time Mages with the Power Staff and going to town, Heal Staffing when necessary.

It's pretty pathetic, but it works, and not much else does! (Aside from Zeninage, but if I blow 10-20K on every fight, I'll NEVER kill anything ever, let alone buy stuff.)
Old 07-15-2017, 10:22 PM
hi there

The Power Staff is pretty great, yeah. Berserk your friends to make them hit harder! Berserk your enemies to make them forget how to use skills! Berserk everything!
Old 07-16-2017, 03:38 PM

It's mostly good because my team is pretty garbo. I think it goes without saying that this is a Chicken Knife run, not just because I can't actually USE the Brave Blade, but because there are a LOT of fights I flee from just because it takes way too long to whittle down 5 or 6 dudes with single-target attacks. I FINALLY picked up a third multi-target option, and it's the Magic Lamp. That's it. My options are Magic Lamp, Break Rod, or hope for Bee Swarm from !Animals. My kingdom for a multi-target Comet.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:26 PM
hi there

Quote:
My kingdom for a multi-target Comet.
that's basically what meteor is

EDIT: also money toss is multi target

please remember this
Old 07-16-2017, 05:03 PM
TARANTUL

When you get it you'd be suprised how much !Slash works on.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:26 PM
hi there

oh yes, that too

!Iainuki will basically wipe most random battles. Even a couple bosses.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:15 PM

>mfw two ABP away from Iainuki.... and I'm standing on the save point just before Exdeath in the Void.

On the plus side, gonna be done with this run soon! Unless you fuckers think there's literally any way my team can take on Omega and/or Shinryu without grinding up to 99. Because THAT'S not happening.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:12 PM
hi there

Shinryu's easy. Hell, you already have the Power Staff. Just add 99 Phoenix Downs and you're set.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:14 PM

Better: I have the Sage's Staff. Use as item and it's a Phoenix Down that doesn't run out. So I GUESS there's that option. I forgot the way to cheese him is Berserk. Omega's weak to Romeo's Ballad, which I obviously don't have, so that's probably out.

Shinryu tomorrow it is!
Old 07-17-2017, 10:24 PM
hi there

You *could* do Omega.

You'd probably need a full stack of Elixirs, and if he ever uses Wave Cannon + Maelstrom on you, that's a wipe (approx. 1/9 chance every 5th turn of 8).

Your strategy is mainly going to be to go in there with Reflect Rings, chug Elixirs after every Wave Cannon, and when he bounces Targeting off someone, unleash hell with !Rapidfire until he takes another action, then repeat. If you ever get a free moment (spoiler: you won't), have the Time Mage bounce Haste off him to give someone more speed.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
You *could* do Omega.

You'd probably need a full stack of Elixirs, and if he ever uses Wave Cannon + Maelstrom on you, that's a wipe (approx. 1/9 chance every 5th turn of 8).

Your strategy is mainly going to be to go in there with Reflect Rings, chug Elixirs after every Wave Cannon, and when he bounces Targeting off someone, unleash hell with !Rapidfire until he takes another action, then repeat. If you ever get a free moment (spoiler: you won't), have the Time Mage bounce Haste off him to give someone more speed.
If he doesn't mind a bit of cheese, he can always quick-leak omega since he has a time mage (assuming the gba or snes versions).
Old 07-18-2017, 07:08 PM
hi there

there is also that, but you will die of old age before you win
Old 07-18-2017, 11:35 PM

Considering my options are to either grind for elixirs or sit there for two hours, I'll take my chances

And let's be real: They assume you're going to cheese these bosses. They're designed with that in mind. They're supposed to be impossible to take down without cheese. They're optional for a reason. And I have no shame when it comes to assholes of this caliber. Hell, if it weren't such a walk, I'd go bust a Venom Rod on Famed Mimic Gogo's fat, stupid, ugly, script-breaking face, just to say I did.

Last edited by LaularuKyrumo; 07-19-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:16 AM
>TRANCE

Quote:
Hell, if it weren't such a walk, I'd go bust a Venom Rod on Famed Mimic Gogo's fat, stupid, ugly, crossdressing face, just to say I did.
pardon?
Old 07-19-2017, 08:13 AM

Very late in the game, you can take the airshupmarine to the sunken remains of Walsh Tower, go through a dungeon, and meet up with the Famed Mimic, Gogo. Normally, the way you "beat" him is that you get into a fight with him, and then just stand there, without doing anything. If you attack him, you get into a Shinryu-tier fight, that ALSO happens to be glitched out, causing the game to softlock if you don't wipe him fast enough. Beating him grants access to the Mime job.

If it wasn't way too far a walk, I'd go back there and use my newfound cheese strats to imploy the Quick-leak strategy. The idea is that you cast the Quick spell, which freezes everyone's ATB bars in place and gives the caster two free actions. The first one is used to cast Bio (or in my case, break a Venom Rod for the same effect) on the superboss of choice. The second action is not actually an action. Instead, you just sit there, while the Sap status drains the foe's HP to zero. It takes over two hours to kill Omega this way (I looked it up).

Last edited by LaularuKyrumo; 07-19-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:09 AM
McBear

I think that you might want to rephrase. Nothing wrong with what anyone wears.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:44 AM
hi there

Quote:
Gogo is a goddamn glitchy mess
?????????

They're not glitchy at all? They mimic attacks with attacks and magics with magics. Eventually they stop doing the mimic game and just murders you if you poke them too much.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:31 AM
whatever it takes

Using "crossdressing" as an insult is unlikely to win you friends around here.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:48 PM

Admittedly, I didn't -actually- mean for 'crossdressing' to be an insult, but yeah, that came out wrong.

And no, his script IS broken.

Quote:
If you deal 14714 damage to him and survive to see it, he will become extremely agitated. "You uncultured boors! Know you nothing of an artist's soul? Cut! Cut! Stop TRYING to mimic! Start over, recenter, and begin!" Then, he will cast Meteor thrice in a row and kill you with powerful attacks. You are not equipped to handle this fight at all right now, so this is a Game Over for you.

There is another thing to consider, however, and that is the fact that this fight is bugged. When Gogo starts the Uncultured Boors speech, he'll lapse into saying that and cast Meteor, which is good. Well, not exactly good, but that's the way it was meant to be. Then, he'll say it again! And cast another Meteor. Then a third Meteor will follow, with all kinds of useless speech at the end that's not meant to be there:

Dragged into another dimension!
Odin: All right, that's far enough!
Turning to stone...
Can't escape!
Countdown to Pestilence...4
KO'd!
Countdown to Eruption...5
KO'd!
Level halved!
KO'd!

The next two turns are 'normal' in that they do what they're meant to do: a consecutive Maelstrom, Ice Storm and Aqua Breath combo, followed that next turn by a consecutive Frost, Ice Storm and Aqua Breath combo. This sounds nasty, but you need to realize that by this point you have either killed Famed Mimic Gogo already or have failed. After these attacks, Gogo will try another Meteor, but it'll be followed by all the garbled text again. Loop from there.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:54 PM
hi there

that sounds like a GBA error

also wow that's a hell of a lot meaner dialogue than the RPGe translation

Code:
Condition:HP < 33000 & HP Damage{
     Display Text: Gogo:  You guys...
     Display Text: 'You didn't get the point!
     Display Text: 'No more imitation...
     Change Music
     Display Text: 'Let's do it some other time!
     Set V01=02
     Meteo
     }
(I suppose there's a sort of bug in that block itself, in that in theory, you'll trigger the dialogue every time you attack him, but you likely won't notice because you'll be dead.)
Old 07-19-2017, 07:31 PM

So in other news, Omega went down in one try (obviously) and Shinryu technically went down in one try, though since I was expecting a longer death animation I missed the screenshot the first time.

Fuck Exdeath. Fuck Almagest. Fuck basically everything.

Apparently, neither Magic Defense nor the Defense command actually reduces the damage, and since it's Holy-element, you can't null or absorb it. So it's just straight up a party wipe if he uses it. And unlike the superbosses, he's not susceptible to any sort of cheese--with the possible exception of Quickleak, and I'm NOT doing that on four segments.

Let's hope Zeninage is as broken as you guys say it is, because I've already wiped twice and this 1.3M gil isn't gonna help me in the afterlife. Or the Void.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:02 PM
TARANTUL

Almagest is basiclly a hard check on your max HP if you don't have shell (white mage, chemist, blue mage maybe beastmaster?) or a have a way to petrify that part (blackmage, spellblade, summoner, beastmaster). It's the only thing in the game that sometimes requires grinding for some normal 4JF parties aside from Byblos with Thief/Berserker.

I'm sure there's a few options I forgot.

Tags
can't beat the crystals , ffv four job fiesta , gone berserk , making fuck berserker , penalty for being bard