The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 05-25-2017, 08:29 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Party at AV's place, I assume.
I hope you like puff pastry "samosas"
Old 05-25-2017, 09:02 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
I hope you like puff pastry "samosas"
Given that one of our purchases this past week was a pack of Kung Pao chicken samosas....

(Quick review: not good. Should've gone with the Vietnamese pack instead, I bet.)
Old 05-25-2017, 11:52 AM
Goodbye!

I've often thought it's interesting that the library is one of the few places you are permitted to sit and think without paying for the privilege in capitalist society. It's an anomaly to be cherished, IMO.
Old Today, 10:40 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

I recently realized that our public library lends books digitally.

I can just go onto a website, log on with my library card # and PIN, and download something to my kindle. Copies are limited so sometimes there is a waiting list (it's a library, after all!), but this is honestly life changing. It's a far better selection than Kindle Unlimited (which I pay for), but for free. I'm willing to go on a waiting list for free, non-pirated books that increase the library's user numbers.

People who like to read on a Kindle or other device should definitely look into your library to see if they added this (or had a program and just made it a lot more usable) while you won't paying attention. I think our library had something like this before, but now it's on a system called Overdrive which is really simple to use.

Apparently some libraries offer non-residents membership to their digital lending libraries for a fee, so even if your local library doesn't do this, it might be worth the cost? One library I saw mentioned a lot in this context when looking up online discussions about digital lending was the Brookyn Public Library. I don't know the details other than the price because our local library offers this, but I could definitely see paying $50 for this kind of digital lending service if I didn't have access to it already for free locally...

Tags
books , dewey decimal system , doodie decimal system , library , reading time