The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 09-29-2017, 02:40 PM
TARANTUL

How is the Title Screen music not in your links?

(this is one of the things they played after my wedding)
Old 09-29-2017, 02:43 PM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
How is the Title Screen music not in your links?

(this is one of the things they played after my wedding)
Get Equipped With Wedding Ring
Old 09-29-2017, 02:59 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Mega Man 3 was the only Mega Man game I voted for. I'm with you— this is the Mega Man game, and by extension, the Mega Man soundtrack to my ears. I had it at #17, so it seems I am completely aligned with the TT consensus … Though my song of choice was "Gemini Man".
Old 09-29-2017, 03:27 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
Get Equipped With Wedding Ring
No. They played the Zelda "You Got a Thing" song for that.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:45 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

There are likely terabytes worth of arguments over whether 2 or 3 is the better game, but 3 has far and away the best soundtrack in the series and it is, for my money, the best 8-bit soundtrack in existence.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:49 PM
Bob

Hilariously, I'm not certain if it's the highest Mega Man on the list...
Old 09-29-2017, 04:32 PM
Outer Spacean

Mega Man 3 was in my top 10. It's splendid and wonderful and was the first soundtrack I fell in love with.

Trivia - Harumi Fujita was originally going to compose this herself, but her pregnancy midway through led to her going into labor and she couldn't finish the project. Gemini Man and Needle Man are her compositions, as well as some portion of the Staff Roll. Her career with Capcom tragically ended at this point due to the severity of her labor causing her to frequently attend the hospital, so she retired. It wasn't the end of her musical career, however, and she is now with Brave Wave.

Yusuaki Fujita (no relation) stepped in and completed the rest of it, and the two by far produced Capcom's greatest NES soundtrack in my book. BUNBUN (his nickname) did some work on Mega Man 4 as well, but it pales in contrast to 3.

Oh, and Zelda: Ocarina of Time too! That's also really good!

Last edited by WildcatJF; 09-29-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:20 PM
disguised king of surfing

Quote:
just wanted to say that i appreciated how these were arranged properly
Old 09-29-2017, 05:42 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Mega Man 3 was #14 on my list. Nothing to really say that hasn't already been said. I voted for "Wily Fortress #2" as my favorite track; there's a kind of urgency and determination to that tune, like the gloves have come off and it's time to handle business.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:22 PM
who's she

Mega Man 3 is real good. Compared to other MM games, I notice a lot of nice mood-setting touches, particularly bass notes that go somewhere you're not expecting and create sort of melancholy inverted chords.

One thing I really like about Ocarina of Time is how low-key its ending is, and the soundtrack plays a big part in that.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:30 PM
Video Monster

I can't remember if I ended up voting for MM3 or not, but I would have no reason not to. I don't have much more to say about it, other than, "yep, it's great." Oh, and, Bride of Dracula has an unusual fondness for the jingle that plays when you pick a stage. Like, she will jump out and shout "YES!" when she hears it.

Ocarina I did not vote for, but I will say that it was the first time a Zelda had music that actually disturbed me. Some of the atmospheric tracks in the caves and dungeons made me feel like I was in a horror game, and I can't think of many other Zeldas that do that with their soundscape. The bizarre chanting that occurs only in the original version of the Fire Temple has always stuck with me - but as most people know, Nintendo removed it when it turned out it was a straight up Muslim chant, and I suppose it makes sense to remove something like that out of respect. But the replacement didn't meet the same emotional beat.

Forest Temple is probably my favorite dungeon music in any Zelda.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:29 AM
Love is OGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
Mega Man 3 is real good. Compared to other MM games, I notice a lot of nice mood-setting touches, particularly bass notes that go somewhere you're not expecting and create sort of melancholy inverted chords.
Yeah! My favourite musical mood is melancholic, and that's all over Mega Man 3. Needle Man Stage is the explicit example for that, and my favourite track, but it permeates even the tracks that would otherwise come off as upbeat and peppy. It's a moody game.

One of the bigger testaments to the soundtrack's quality is how all the "incidental" tracks, outside of the main stage themes, are just as exemplary as the rest. There's no cutting corners or incredibly grating numbers amidst an otherwise stellar selection.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:16 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Honourable Mention — Gone Home
35 points • 1 mention • Highest rank: #1 (Yimothy)

Featured Track:

Complicated

Nothing Can Stop Me

Composed by:

Chris Remo

Featuring music by:

Heavens to Betsy
Bratmobile
The Youngins

Platform: PC • Release date: August 15, 2013
Revolution Girl Style Now!

I'm not a big game soundtrack listener. Most of the entries on my list were things I played as a kid, when I used to hold a microphone up to the TV speaker in the sound test mode to tape things I liked. Since my teens, though, I've mostly put on my own music while playing games. For me, the soundtrack to Ico is Spoon's Girls Can Tell. La Pucelle was scored by We Are The Pipettes, and Final Fantasy XII by the back catalogue of the Lucksmiths. I generally don't expect the stuff I listen to to show up in games, so Gone Home was a pleasant surprise.

Much of Gone Home's soundtrack is the sound of rain falling. There's a bit of original score in there as well and it's effective, but the part I care about are the half dozen or so licensed tracks by Bratmobile and Heavens To Betsy, riot grrrl bands active in the mid-nineties when the game is set, and the Youngins, a more recent act who provide the music of one of the game's characters' band. All the songs appear in game on cassette tapes you find and play, and usually are in the vicinity of audio logs that suit the mood of the music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
"The girls on stage were just so LOUD and REAL and AWESOME, and everybody was moving together like one huge tide of sound."
In the sitting room, there's an audio log describing the main character's first time going to see a band play. In the plot of the game, the show is far from the most important event that night, but the description of the excitement of good live music sets the mood for later events. While you listen to this log, you can find a cassette tape copy of Heavens to Betsy's "Nothing Can Stop Me", which opens with a howl of feedback, a count in on cymbals, the drums and guitar kick in, and then Corin Tucker's powerful voice demonstrates that nothing can stop her. It's a song about resisting adversity, not letting other people push you down, which fits well with the themes of the game, but it's also a song that pumps you up. You can imagine seeing the band live as a life changing experience (although there's a flyer for the show in the room as well, and H2B aren't on the bill).

Heavens to Betsy were a band I found inspiring - a two piece who made raw, emotional, occasionally terrifying (see the chorus of "Terrorist", also on the Gone Home soundtrack - "I'm not your friend I'll make you die") simple sounding music that also sounded fantastic. The first time I formed a band and played a house show we did a H2B cover. H2B were one of the bands that made me think I could form a band. In the game, Sam and Lonnie start a zine and Lonnie joins a band, apparently inspired by the same stuff, though in a more direct way since they live in the time and place where it happened.

Gone Home's sountrack was my number one because:
A) it perfectly matches and informs the setting and narrative, and
B) of all the music in all the games, it's got the most stuff I like listening to*.

*Mileage may vary. I remember my sister coming in one day when I was first getting into Heavens to Betsy and asking, "What's this really bad music you've been listening to lately?"

~ Yimothy
Old 09-30-2017, 12:22 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimothy View Post
Since my teens, though, I've mostly put on my own music while playing games. For me, the soundtrack to Ico is Spoon's Girls Can Tell. La Pucelle was scored by We Are The Pipettes, and Final Fantasy XII by the back catalogue of the Lucksmiths.
Same here. Almost every time I'm using a handheld system, I've muted the volume and play something else. In a recent example, Etrian Odyssey IV is forever linked with World's End Girlfriend to me.

Quote:
I remember my sister coming in one day when I was first getting into Heavens to Betsy and asking, "What's this really bad music you've been listening to lately?"
Oh man, if I had a nickel every time this happened to me…
Old 09-30-2017, 12:23 PM
Out Of Warranty

Gone Home is one of those soundtracks that match the game *perfectly* but can be difficult to listen outside its context. The ending has one of the most powerful musical moments ever, but the music itself misses something without the emotional punch delivered by the game. If this list had been "Best Scored Games", though, Gone Home would certainly have placed high in my list.

(I tried to get into Heavens To Betsy, I really did, but I really need to be in the right headspace to be able to withstand the rawness of their work. I'm sure I would have loved them fifteen years ago when my heart had been stomped into pieces... And I think that's why they work so great in-game)
Old 09-30-2017, 12:49 PM
Not a Beer

I didn't have Mega Man 3 on my final list, but it was in my draft, with the iconic Intro Theme as my pick. Just so good.

I should play Gone Home some day.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:56 PM
Love is OGR

Gone Home is the way to incorporate licensed music into a video game.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:47 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

Quote:
(I tried to get into Heavens To Betsy, I really did, but I really need to be in the right headspace to be able to withstand the rawness of their work. I'm sure I would have loved them fifteen years ago when my heart had been stomped into pieces... And I think that's why they work so great in-game)
You might try Sleater-Kinney, Corrinne Tucker's post Betsy band. It's more accessible (and MUCH more well known so it'll be easier to find). Dig Me Out is their masterpiece.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:53 AM
Cool Bunny

I knew straight away what my number one for my list would be, a beeps and boops type soundtrack that I won't name in case it still comes up, but when I came to put my list together I realised that the music in a game I like the most is Heavens to Betsy's. Plus the rest of the soundtrack is pretty good.

Of course, not everyone likes H2B, but even then I think the suitability of the music to the game makes it an exceptional soundtrack.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:18 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Honourable Mention — Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness
35 points • 1 mention • Highest rank: #1 (Büge)

Featured Track:

Title Theme

Adventurers’ Guild

Composed by:

Aubrey Hodges

Platform: PC • Release date: September 1994
Glorious music

Castlevania may have been better known for its gothic Hammer Horror atmosphere, but it doesn't hold a candle to Quest For Glory 4 to me. I recently listened to the QfG4 soundtrack in its entirety recently, and I was struck by how much more metal it was than I remembered. I've also learned that Aubrey Hodges, the composer, has released new arrangements of the soundtrack using real instruments instead of midi tunes. I suggest you check it out on bandcamp if you can.

A lot of the music, especially battle music, rely on bass and guitar, giving the game more of a rock and roll feel, rather than simply classical or ambient music that you might hear in other fantasy games. This isn't the case for every piece, however. The musical pieces you encounter in the village, for example, are devoid of guitar (except for the mad doctor's lab), instead using percussion, woodwind and brass to suggest order and peace (and the inn uses Grieg's "Anitra's Dance" from Peer Gynt).

The battle music deserves special mention, as this is a traditional fantasy RPG, and that typically means combat. Every type of enemy you face in QfG4 has its own signature theme. They range from the rocking tunes of the badders and vorpal bunnies, to the plodding moan of the revenant's theme, to the howling intensity of the wraith battle.

It seemes like every character has his or her own musical accompaniment in the game, or at least, the composer did his best to suggest so: the Burgomeister's music is a slow march, Punny Bones has a playful woodwind suite, Katrina is accompanied by a slow, almost hypnotic, pulse. The soundtrack is at times whimsical, menacing, tragic, nostalgic or triumphant. I chose the opening title theme because I feel it has a very climactic quality, which is fitting for the most climactic entry in the series.

~ Büge
Old 10-01-2017, 03:12 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Yes! If I had participated in this round QfG4 would have def been in my list.

The soundtrack is phenomenal and matches perfectly with the themes and setting of the game.

The only time you're not feeling the tension from either the visuals or the audio is Erana's Grave. And even there the music is somber.

Goddess, I love those games.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:03 PM
#deadfish2017

Oh! Good pick I didn't even think of.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:06 AM
It's all good, man

I almost voted for Gone Home, but I'm glad I didn't, because it would have kept it off this list!

I picked Ocarina, but Majora's Mask also deserves some recognition for tunes like the Song of Healing.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:53 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post

[CENTER]Honourable Mention — Drakengard
35 points • 1 mention • Highest rank: #1 (pudik)
I listened to this soundtrack while folding laundry and got physically ill and stressed out. So... mission accomplished, I guess?
Old 10-02-2017, 08:32 AM

I never even heard of Quest for Glory, but that OST is awesome! Reminds me a little of the composer of Shining in the Darkness / Shining Force 1 who mysteriously disappeared.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:37 AM
gatchapon 3*

QFG4 is one of my favorite games of all time, and the intro theme song with the guitar is so so fucking good i can't believe more people don't talk about it. All 4 games in the series have phenomenal compositions of their day.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:04 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

#16 — Shovel Knight
206 points • 9 mentions • Highest rank: #5 (Adrenaline)

Featured Track:

Strike the Earth!

The BetrayerAn Underlying ProblemFlowers of Antimony

Composed by:

Jake Kaufman
Manami Matsumae

Platforms: PC, Wii U, 3DS • Release date: June 24, 2014
Who said shovelry is dead?

Shovel Knight isn't the first chiptune soundtrack on the list, but it's certainly the newest!

Much like the game itself, Shovel Knight's soundtrack can be described as "mostly NES faithful". That is to say, while Jake Kaufman did compose the music with the authentic NES sound (with the aid of a program called FamiTracker), he *did* ignore the space limitations, composing more— and longer— tracks than the actual NES era saw. Shovel Knight's music *can* be played back on real NES hardware… but it would take up an entire cartridge. Bending the rules was, of course, precisely the point; Kaufman "wanted the music to be a simultaneous love-letter to the NES and an improvement upon what was possible on cartridges, just like the graphics and the gameplay."

It's fair to say he succeeded. Shovel Knight has the feel of the best NES music, while being richer and more complex than its spiritual contemporaries. As mentioned above, Shovel Knight's tracks are longer than actual NES songs; a typical NES song goes for about 45 seconds before looping, while Shovel Knight's last between 60 and 90 seconds. That extra time gives each track time to further develop its melody, in new ways. "An Underlying Problem (The Lost City)" digs deep by going on an extended tangent before returning not to the main melody, but a reprised version— giving a little extra character before the loops kicks in. "Flowers of Antimony (The Explodatorium)", meanwhile, holds off on the main melody until the track is nearly a minute in; by spending so much time on the build-up, it really sells the tension and mystery of the track. And that's not even getting into "The Betrayer (Enchantress Final Form)", which packs so many ideas into its runtime that it becomes suitably epic.

A particularly nice element to the music is that not only does each Knight has their own dedicated boss theme, but that theme is a more intense remix of the stage theme. Compare "An Underlying Problem" to "Claws of Fate", or "Flowers of Antimony" to "The Vital Vitriol", for instance.

Also, one channel of the music doesn't cut out to give way to the sound effects. So that's nice.

The featured track is "Strike the Earth!", the theme to the game's introductory stage. It's well-suited to that, being upbeat and determined without ever getting too intense; it's just a casual jaunt through the plains. It's a catchy tune, and it never gets old… I wouldn't be surprised to see it become an iconic song even beyond its soundtrack.

Also, a player might not notice this in-game (I certainly didn't), but it actually incorporates portions of the title theme. Clever touch!

~ conchobhar

Last edited by conchobhar; 10-03-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:05 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

#15 — Xenogears
208 points • 8 mentions • Highest rank: #1 (Gringr)

Featured Track:

The Beginning and the End

One Who Bares Fangs At GodLight From The Netherworld
Shevat - The Wind Is CallingFlightOmen (Premonition)

Composed by:

Yasunori Mitsuda

Platform: Playstation • Release date: February 11, 1998
Total sentence imposed: 10

There’s so much I could say about this game, but I’ll leave the spotlight momentarily to Issun, who wanted to share a few words with us. Take it away, Issun.

"Now Issun," you might ask, "If you love Xenogears's soundtrack so much you wanted to write about it why isn't it your #1?" To which I'd reply "Hey, look over there!"

The music of Xenogears is special to me. While I may consider other game music better, no soundtrack and, indeed, no game produces quite the emotions in me that Xenogears does. This is in large part because of its quieter moments. Yes, it has some pulse-pounders, the most notable being Fuse, which plays during some of the more intense sequences in the game. There is also the boss theme Knight of Fire (the search for the meaning of that voice sample has gone to some pretty strange places), and the thunderous final "real" boss theme Awakening (the best part hits around 50 seconds in). There's also the slow, martial beat of Leftovers from the Dreams of the Strong, which plays whenever you're on the Yggdrassil, the travel method of choice for Fei and co. It serves the essential dual purposes of being a stand out piece of music while also being able to fade into the background without getting repetitive, which is important because you will be hearing it a lot. All these tracks sounding like they were recorded in a large, empty hall. It's a quirk of this soundtrack that might turn some off, but I love it.

Like I said, though, it is the beauty of the quieter pieces that stays with me two decades later. Three in particular I'd like to mention:

Emotions: The overworld theme. It begins with a synthy Celtic sound, sentimental at first, then it goes to a quieter place before the best part hits at 50 seconds (that keeps coming up).

The Treasure which Cannot Be Stolen: This plays during several low-key scenes in the second half of the game. It is, like Emotions, a track that begins wistfully, has an introspective middle piece, then goes into an emotional swell before repeating. I can't overstate how beautiful I find this track, and it's something I can listen to where the emotion of the music combined with the emotion of scenes remembered always serves to calm me.

The Beginning and the End: This is hands-down my favorite piece of game music ever, and one of my all-time favorite pieces of music period. Like a lot of people, it was my introduction to Bulgarian choral music, and what an introduction it is. The dissonant tones between the different parts of the choir of the first half set an ethereal tone. Then the choir shifts to something more harmonious, and one girl's voice rises above the others in ululations that bring to mind ascension to heaven. It gels with the onscreen happenings, too. Fei has made his way to the main antagonist, who, it turns out, did all he did because he felt he was saving humanity, but his means are beyond the pale. Though he did what he did out of a misguided and twisted compassion, there can be no redemption. He ascends to an emotionless parallel plain alone, as he always was. Obviously this being Xenogears, I've excised some truly ridiculous aspects of the whole thing, but in the moment, with this track playing, it was, and still is, one of the most important moments in games for me.

~ Issun

Last edited by conchobhar; 10-02-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:08 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
The featured track is "Strike the Earth!", the theme to the game's introductory stage. It's well-suited to that, being upbeat and determined without ever getting too intense; it's just a casual jaunt through the plains. It's a catchy tune, and it never gets old… I wouldn't be surprised to see it become an iconic song even beyond its soundtrack.
Addendum: I didn't vote for Shovel Knight, but I probably should have, because "Strike the Earth!" has been stuck in my head ever since I started writing this post
Old 10-02-2017, 12:14 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
#16 — Shovel Knight
206 points • 9 mentions • Highest rank: #9 (Adrenaline)
Quote:
#15 — Xenogears
190 points • 8 mentions • Highest rank: #1 (Bulgakov)

Tags
atlus/jrpg dick riding , democracy was a mistake , erauqs si dlrow eht , hip to be a square wave , pronounced "eece" , top 50 countdown , treble with anticipation