The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-12-2017, 10:36 PM
The Goggles do Nothing

Legitimately, save states really emphasize why that boss is hard, and that's basically because it can trap you in some really horrible positions that will sap all your health just because you decided to latch onto the wrong length of wall. If you're using save states anyway... I'm not going to say the final-final boss is no big deal... it's simply doable as opposed to completely awful.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:12 PM

As a youngin' it took me two months of trying at least once a day to beat that boss. It is very, very hard.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:00 AM

woah xD double post haha

Suikoden 2 is so, so good guys. I know this is known but yowza. Playing this game gives me the same feelings as reading Romance of the Three Kingdoms. The very simple, mythic feeling politics and warfare are amazing.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:38 PM
Mystery Contraption

Someone here (I want to say Shivam, feels like a Shivam kind of thing) recommended Polytopia on iOS on strength of it being Civilization except condensed down to the teeniest little squidge.

It strips everything but the essentials and is so engaging.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:48 PM
Not A Low-Level Life Form

me too!

But yeah, Polytopia's great. I always play as the Japanese.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:57 PM

Demon's Crest's last boss is tough, but it's certainly not undoable. I might lose once or twice these days if I'm rusty, but in general, a full load of Ginseng and good management of your offensive/defensive boost items during the times you can't hit him go a long, long way.

Plus, exploring and finding all the stuff is the real attraction. A remarkable amount of the game is gated behind secret routes and such.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:27 PM
Ancient Nameless Hero

I know it takes a huge amount of shit everywhere people talk about games, but I'm really enjoying Resident Evil 6. Maybe I'm not much of a connoisseur of survival horror (I'm saying this sincerely, not sarcastically), but I'm not seeing anything really wrong with it so far.

I am admittedly not far along. I just crashed the airplane and am getting ready to face a boss. I'm mainly happy to be out of the water. Large bodies of natural water always make me nervous. The idea of being stuck underwater is worse, and having a giant aquatic monster really does not help. Still! A lot of fun so far. I like that melee attacks are a reasonable option, rather than a last ditch effort to stave off death for a few more seconds once your ammo's all gone.

It sure would be nice to be able to pause when I'm not playing online, though.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:34 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Someone here (I want to say Shivam, feels like a Shivam kind of thing) recommended Polytopia on iOS on strength of it being Civilization except condensed down to the teeniest little squidge.

It strips everything but the essentials and is so engaging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
me too!

But yeah, Polytopia's great. I always play as the Japanese.
I like it a lot, but it seems really repetitive after the first few stages. Is there a larger goal to work toward?
Old 08-14-2017, 09:57 PM
Blue Comet

Space Hulk: Deathwing isn't perfect. There are only a few different types of enemies, half of whom are very similar to one another, and their animations leave something to be desired. But man, the aesthetics, level design, and environment are top-notch, nearly as good as what you'd see in Bloodborne or Dark Souls. Very cool.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:59 PM
Chief Servbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I know it takes a huge amount of shit everywhere people talk about games, but I'm really enjoying Resident Evil 6. Maybe I'm not much of a connoisseur of survival horror (I'm saying this sincerely, not sarcastically), but I'm not seeing anything really wrong with it so far.

I am admittedly not far along. I just crashed the airplane and am getting ready to face a boss. I'm mainly happy to be out of the water. Large bodies of natural water always make me nervous. The idea of being stuck underwater is worse, and having a giant aquatic monster really does not help. Still! A lot of fun so far. I like that melee attacks are a reasonable option, rather than a last ditch effort to stave off death for a few more seconds once your ammo's all gone.

It sure would be nice to be able to pause when I'm not playing online, though.
People hate 6 because the campaign is terrible and incredibly long. It does have one of the best mechanical systems in any action game, but the campaign never teaches or requires you use it's complexity (great for Mercenaries though).
Old 08-16-2017, 10:40 AM
The metal babble flees!

Digimonstory: Cyber Sleuth: this monster-collecting game has more of a storyline than I would have expected. The main plot is both basic and confusing; there's your character's rather straightforward dungeon-and-boss adventures with the Digimon, and then there's some other stuff about digital streams or something, where, say, a subway station can be both real and digital and get glitched.

But in recent chapters involving (1) an AI "Baku" (2) an urban legend and ghost story, I suddenly felt that the writing, in a gentle and additive way, was opening questions for the player about what "consciousness" and "life" are.

And throughout the story, the Digimon characters tell you that they are not created by humans, but are visitors to an intermediary digital world, just as you are. So things get a little troubling when you end up putting most of your digital friends on a farm, forcing genetic mutations on them, and destroying them to give your other digital friends XP. Yeah, the story and the mechanics are at odds sometimes...
Old 08-16-2017, 04:03 PM
Mystery Contraption

Okay... now I understand why people like Undertale.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:16 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Okay... now I understand why people like Undertale.
You ain't seen nothin' yet.

Tags
everything is awesome , fear of new threads , good games , just make a new thread , making threads is better , repulsive positivity