The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 12-09-2009, 02:20 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Default General Anime News/Discussion Thread

By popular demand, we now have a general anime thread, so have at it!

I believe we left off with discussing how relatively abysmal the winter '09 season is shaping up to be with an unhappy divergence into that most hated topic of topics for anime watchers.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:52 AM
Banned

Well hello new thread!

I think we're going to get along just fine.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:25 AM
misutadonatsu-tan

As I was saying in the last thread, Cross Game is a cruel series. Everything will just be going swimmingly when out of the blue tragedy strikes. In the latest episode, Aoba just made it through the first round of tryouts for the national women's baseball team and probably would've gotten in but during batting practice Azuma injures her. In the preview her leg's broken and Azuma sounds pretty depressed.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:47 AM
It's all good, man

FMA: Brotherhood has more interesting action scenes than the original series but it's seeming like it will take a long time to get anywhere.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:54 AM

Shugo Chara's manga is about to end and the anime has gone it's own damn direction entirely. This makes me very sad.

Rightstuf.com's 12 days of Christmas sale has Trigun for $40. This makes me happy because the regular price is like $170 or something stupid like that.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:03 AM
misutadonatsu-tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
FMA: Brotherhood has more interesting action scenes than the original series but it's seeming like it will take a long time to get anywhere.
Not so. It takes Brotherhood less than 15 episodes to get to the same place that it took the original 30+ episodes to get to. But that's b/c Brotherhood has more interesting places it was in a rush to get to whereas the original was trying to drag out its available content as long as possible. You are the first person to note the pacing of Brotherhood is slower than the original. The more common complaint is that it is too rushed.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:59 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tungwene View Post
Not so. It takes Brotherhood less than 15 episodes to get to the same place that it took the original 30+ episodes to get to. But that's b/c Brotherhood has more interesting places it was in a rush to get to whereas the original was trying to drag out its available content as long as possible. You are the first person to note the pacing of Brotherhood is slower than the original. The more common complaint is that it is too rushed.
Of course catching up to where the original split from the manga was quick. But NOW... it just seems like there's less of a driving force in the story, and it's clearly going to end up with a much higher episode count.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfir View Post
Rightstuf.com's 12 days of Christmas sale has Trigun for $40.
Holy carp!

But I already spent on El-Hazard, and I have half the Trigun DVDs anyway Can't really justify spending on it.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Fishing for Felbloom

Man, I kind of liked the idea that the Fall '08 anime season was just so fascinating that you guys were still discussing it a year later.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanto View Post
Man, I kind of liked the idea that the Fall '08 anime season was just so fascinating that you guys were still discussing it a year later.
I couldn't remember what aired in Fall '08 so I didn't feel like chiming in... But I watch different shows from the average TTer so I still won't relate much. ;p
Old 12-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Find Your Reason

Hmm. Aside from Trigun, Right Stuf also has this on a preorder sale.

On the one hand, I'm glad I put it back on the shelf when I had the chance to buy the US$33 Vol 1 + Boxset package in San Francisco. On the other, is it worth it? I'm trying to cut down on unnecessary expenses this season, what with all the Christmas gifts and parties coming up.

Especially since I've read the manga for this, and I KNOW I want to get it.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Curious Young Gent

I don't like the animation in the Monster anime. Will probably just settle for the manga. I've never heard of Baccano (batchano? backano?), but that description does a good job of selling it to me.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:35 AM

Man... Saki is no Akagi, that's for sure. I waited for this to be finished too, but end up bailing out after 3 episodes anyways. I mean, I was looking forward to a silly and outrageous mahjong show but I still didn't care for it. They have the basic premise of a unlikely expert vs an established expert going on, but the actual games don't seem to be making it very stimulating. This show's notion of fan service doesn't help any either.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Cure Space Marine

I find myself missing Revolutionary Girl Utena. Have there been any shows recently like it?

(Oh, and I found a bootleg of the musical, which was surprisingly awesome.)
Old 12-09-2009, 11:03 AM
You wanna contract, Boss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosboot View Post
Man... Saki is no Akagi, that's for sure. I waited for this to be finished too, but end up bailing out after 3 episodes anyways. I mean, I was looking forward to a silly and outrageous mahjong show but I still didn't care for it. They have the basic premise of a unlikely expert vs an established expert going on, but the actual games don't seem to be making it very stimulating. This show's notion of fan service doesn't help any either.
The games don't get particularly entertaining until the later half of the show, when they start introducing all the characters with the crazy fighting-anime style mahjong superpowers. If you can't stand the fan service, you probably did right by bailing now.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:10 PM
I say thee neigh

Quote:
Of course catching up to where the original split from the manga was quick. But NOW... it just seems like there's less of a driving force in the story, and it's clearly going to end up with a much higher episode count.
Part of that is because, at this point the narrative, they don't really know what to do. The bad guys hold are the cards and the good guys are scrambling around trying to keep shit from falling apart. In terms of where the story is, Major General Armstrong is Lando Calrissian.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:56 PM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by onimaruxlr View Post
Part of that is because, at this point the narrative, they don't really know what to do.
This is not something that should ever happen.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:15 PM
The Great

Huh? Characters are put in situations that they don't immediately know how to deal with in other stories all the time.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Conquers the World

I think he read that as "the guys making the show don't know what to do."
Old 12-09-2009, 03:50 PM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

This thread reminds me that I need to finish Kaiba sometime soon.

So I've seen Astro Boy (2003), Metropolis, and Phoenix (2007), I've got Jungle Emperor Leo on order, and I've got a hankering for more Tezuka anime. The Astro Boy 1983 is perpetually pretty cheap, but I'm debating on getting the Astro Boy 1963 mini-boxed sets. Same with the Kimba The White Lion mini boxed sets.

EDIT: Stupid low prices trying to tempt me to buy things I wouldn't normally buy.

Last edited by teg; 12-09-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

I got that for well under $20 from Best Buy maybe two years ago. I still haven't watched the last third of the series.

Edit: Just to clarify, it wasn't Best Buy's anime clearance early this year, but an entirely different sale well before that.

Last edited by Lucas; 12-09-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:10 PM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

The only time I've ever seen it in real life was at Best Buy when I was vacationing in Maine, but even then it was eighty dollars.
I like the series, and I'm trying to get legitimate copies of all the anime I watch, but it's just too much every time.
Also, at this point I'm waiting for the inevitable Blu-Ray treatment.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netbrian View Post
I find myself missing Revolutionary Girl Utena. Have there been any shows recently like it?

That depends. If you want pinkness and spinning flowers all over, there's plenty to choose from. If you want similar levels of weirdness, gender identity issues, and severe relationship dysfunction, the best I can think of off the top of my head is Kaiba. Fair warning though, this might just be another clever ruse in my campaign to find someone with whom I can discuss the plot of Kaiba already.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:37 PM
out of how many points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
That depends. If you want pinkness and spinning flowers all over, there's plenty to choose from. If you want similar levels of weirdness, gender identity issues, and severe relationship dysfunction, the best I can think of off the top of my head is Kaiba. Fair warning though, this might just be another clever ruse in my campaign to find someone with whom I can discuss the plot of Kaiba already.
I am always willing to discuss the plot of Kaiba, or any Yuasa work really. My name on AIM is the same as my name here.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Panicking

I really wish I had finished Kaiba, but subbers stopped putting out episodes in a format I could work with. (no matter what player I download, my computer just doesn't play well with .mkv)

I only got up to...the fourth episode, I think? The last one I watched was the one with the two brothers and the watchtower/lighthouse/whatever. I absolutely loved pretty much everything about the show from what little I saw, though.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netbrian View Post

Princess Tutu is pretty similar in many ways, just drop the sexual maturity levels and swap most of the sword fighting for ballet. Romeo + Juliet is the next closest I can think of and it's pretty hit or miss (even if you're okay with totally rewriting R&J to have flying ponies)
Old 12-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Remembers Love

Kaiba is twelve episodes long. Why have half of us not finished it yet?

I mean, in my case, my feelings for the show cooled pretty quickly, but the euphoria I experienced with the first, second, and fourth episodes should have justified seeing it through. Which I will, eventually.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:28 PM
misutadonatsu-tan

Quote:
Actually after the Elric Brothers leave the North starts the big messy countdown to the final confrontation. Though you are right it will end up with a higher episode count.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Curious Young Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tungwene View Post
Actually after the Elric Brothers leave the North starts the big messy countdown to the final confrontation. Though you are right it will end up with a higher episode count.
Yeah, it's basically the series' last opportunity to play things calm and slow, with maximum time spent fooling around. After that calm, the storm kicks in and I'm going to have to assume, isn't really going to cease 'till it's all over and done with, and epilogue-ing begins.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:34 PM
This is what happens!

Kaiba was pretty good but I didn't like it nearly as much as Mindgame or Kemonozume. I think it was partially since I wanted Kaiba to be something more than it really was.

It does have one of the best openings ever though.

Tags
お前はもう死んでいる , ウエアブー , 3 2 1 let's jam , animation , anime , animeanimeanimeanimeanime , cartoons , cour , didn't read the manga , don't watch anime , fear of new technology , imouto , japan , japanimation , my japanese animes , only weeaboos say weeaboo , panties! , read the manga , voca droids? , watch anime , weeaboo , what's all this racket , wrath of the lich king , you seen orange road , you'll like orange road