The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 04-20-2017, 01:03 PM

The Neutronium Alchemist by Peter F. Hamilton
Old 04-20-2017, 02:06 PM
The metal babble flees!

Continuing my (very) slow read-through of the Discworld books*, here comes Mort. Having read a couple of the other Death books before this, it's interesting to see how the character changed: here he's grumpy, and not eccentric like he was in Reaper Man and Hogfather.

*less Sourcery, which I gather is the skippable-est of the series?
Old 04-20-2017, 02:22 PM
Mystery Contraption

I always interpreted it that Death really mellowed out after the events of Mort.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:28 PM
Child of the Sun and Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood View Post
Continuing my (very) slow read-through of the Discworld books*, here comes Mort. Having read a couple of the other Death books before this, it's interesting to see how the character changed: here he's grumpy, and not eccentric like he was in Reaper Man and Hogfather.

*less Sourcery, which I gather is the skippable-est of the series?
I'm rereading the books myself and just started Sourcery. The beginning at least is as enjoyable as in the books before it. I haven't read it in years, but I remember liking it more than the first two books.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:51 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Sourcery, which I gather is the skippable-est of the series?
Most of the Rincewind books are.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:01 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I always interpreted it that Death really mellowed out after the events of Mort.
Oh, good. I avoided the rest of the series when I saw that it followed him and not Mort. He just seemed like a crappy character in the first book. I'll get back into Reaper Man at some point.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:32 AM
noble beast

Since I last posted, I read every novel and plenty of other stuff by NK Jemisin. (good) Also, Children of Time. (same)

Currently going through Ringworld. Kind of a chore now: everyone's annoying and this interesting, remote, alien structure is just stuffed with humans.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:50 AM
mellow dramatic

Quote:
Continuing my (very) slow read-through of the Discworld books*
I just took a geological age to get through The Last Continent.

It's a book in which nothing of consequence happens. It's a string of unconnected events happening to Rincewind in Fantasy Australia (no worries) and the wizards just being idiots at each other on a tropical island. No rising action, no antagonist or looming threat. No payoff because there's nothing there to pay for. It's not the worst in the series but it's probably the most pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I avoided the rest of the series when I saw that it followed him and not Mort. He just seemed like a crappy character in the first book.
Death probably changes more than any other character in the series, partly in a retconny way (like the Patrician) and partly as character development (like Vimes).
Old 04-23-2017, 04:38 AM
Mystery Contraption

Finished A Darker Shade of Magic and quite liked it. Nothing world shaking, just a fun, breezy low-fantasy novel. Don't want to say it was derivative, since that sounds pretty negative, but almost every element felt very familiar. Basic plot is something of a cross between Lord of the Rings and Avatar, and one of the main characters is straight-up Faris from Final Fantasy V.

There's a couple of sequels and I'm definitely going to read them, but first I want to read that giant robot fighting book Paul mentioned. Don't know anything about it, but he told me everything I needed to hear.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:22 AM
Evocative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
There's a couple of sequels and I'm definitely going to read them, but first I want to read that giant robot fighting book Paul mentioned. Don't know anything about it, but he told me everything I needed to hear.
I'm reading Sleeping Giants right now and enjoying it. Not a masterpiece, but very enjoyable.

A few posts on books I've read recently on tor.com:
1. A novel about Byron
2. The writings of Leonora Carrington
3. A novel about Lovecraft
Old 05-01-2017, 04:39 AM
Mystery Contraption

Just finished Sleeping Giants (thanks to Paul for knowing the secret magic words that convinced me to read it), and I liked it. Never really thought that a hard-sf, transcript-style book would be the best way to handle a story about scientists digging up flippin' Voltron. And I already got the sequel and am excited to see how it handles suddenly becoming Hard-sf transcript-style Pacific Rim
Old 05-01-2017, 07:10 AM
This Guy

The new Lois Lane YA book is out. I wonder if she is finally going to meet that boy from Kansas she's been chatting with who she met on that forum for people who think they've seen aliens. Like she and her dad did while driving through Kansas. What a coincidence.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:07 AM
This Guy

This Lois Lane book starts with her seeing a movie about Nellie Bly and deciding she's not journalisming hard enough. It must be time for her, a teenager working for an after school reporting blog/club, to track down the mob connected mad scientist who recently framed the mayor for corruption with an experimental clone. I think I love teenage Lois Lane.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:54 PM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
The new Lois Lane YA book is out.

!!!!

Why am I not reading this? Thanks for the heads up!
Old 05-02-2017, 07:30 PM

Just finished Nutshell by Ian McEwan (meh). Finally, going to read Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman. Really looking forward to it
Old 05-03-2017, 07:25 PM

If We Were Villains by M.L. Rio
Old 05-03-2017, 08:23 PM
We just don't know.

Currently about a third of the way into Lost in a Good Book. So far, so good! It's fun, but lacks a little of The Eyre Affair's charm. Or does it? I'm not sure.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:28 AM
This Guy

I finished up Triple Threat, the third Lois Lane YA book from Gwenda Bond. This one really up the Superman content from previous books. Lois actually met her internet boyfriend, whom she knew only by his handle of Smallvilleguy and a significant chunk of the book is a dinner with Lane and Kent families. It is a lot of fun, with Lucy being a brat and Sam Lane being normal dad suspicious and not alien hunting general suspicious while Lois and Clark make eyes at each other across the table. (Has Lois's mom ever appeared in the comics? She has to have at some point right?) It is delightful. Then they deal with a group taking in orphans and turning them into weapons. Also, we meet Superman's other internet buddy Alex L. The book is just a delight, fun to read and filled with frequently obscure comics allusions. I hope we get another one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
Currently about a third of the way into Lost in a Good Book. So far, so good! It's fun, but lacks a little of The Eyre Affair's charm. Or does it? I'm not sure.
I think Lost in a Good Book is one of the lesser Thursday Next books. It is kind of hard for me to separate them, since after the first I read the next three or four in rapid succession and they blend together. But I believe that is the one that has to actually take the time to explain the rules of BookWorld, so a lot of time is spent setting that up and less on the fun stuff. I still loved it. I hope either of the books Fforde supposedly has coming out this year make it, I really need some new stuff from him. It feels like years since I last read new Fforde.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:00 PM

The Kid Stays in the Picture by Robert Evans
Old 05-05-2017, 03:29 PM
Mystery Contraption

Finished Waking Gods and liked it even more than the first one, though the format didn't fit the story it was trying to tell quite as well. If the first was Stargate by way of Contact (except with Voltron), this one was Pacific Rim that gave way to War of the Worlds. Complete with bacteria saving the world after weaponry proved to be totally ineffective.

One minor plot hole I noticed that didn't get addressed to my knowledge; if the aliens goal was to discretely (well, "discretely") eliminate anyone with alien ancestry while leaving baseline humans untouched why did they say hello by blasting half of London straight into the bedrock with a giant laser? Strikes me as a really ineffective way to accomplish that goal.

Anyway, really liked the series and hope a third one is on the way.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:24 PM
Child of the Sun and Sky

Little Brother is a YA-dystopia where Microsoft has won the console war and everyone plays games on the new XBOX. Also, everyone seems to be brainwashed into thinking that MMOs are the best genre.

There is also some stuff about privacy, and how the government tries to take it away. Quite enjoyable.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:25 PM

American Pastoral by Philip Roth
Old 05-10-2017, 12:32 PM

I hate DNF'ing books. Anyway, going to give The Secret History a try. I hope it's better than Goldfinch
Old 05-13-2017, 04:22 PM

4321 by Paul Auster
Old 05-17-2017, 03:12 PM
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I'm currently listening to the first Redwall audiobook. It's a full-cast production, primarily narrated by the author, and it's fantastic. Really enjoying it so far.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:48 AM

I checked out Deadeye Dick, and I'm not that deep into it, but it's good.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:29 PM
Mystery Contraption

Started a third (fourth?) reread of American Gods, as it's probably my favorite thing Gaimans ever written, and the talk of the new show gave me a hankerin'.

Couple things I didn't pick up on before; the creepy, jerky, sinister government agents play their roles right to the hilt so stereotypically because they're New Gods themselves, based on people believing that's how government agents act.

Also the checkers game with Chernobog makes a weirdly specific mention of how a King is more dangerous because it can regress, which is foreshaowding for Odins whole deal
Old 05-19-2017, 05:17 PM

Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb
Old 05-23-2017, 08:20 AM
This Guy

I've listened to a couple of Harry Bosch books at work over the last week or two, The Black Ice and The Concrete Blonde. I think I would have enjoyed these a lot more a few years ago. I actually do enjoy the mystery/procedural parts of them. It is just that the protagonist is not going to endear himself to me today by being grumpy that he has to go to court because he shot an unarmed man. It isn't a big thing, but it is a thing. Also, him obnoxiously smoking where he shouldn't/people don't want him to. I'll probably pick up the next few in the series next time I see them on sale. Maybe I'll watch the Amazon series.

Now I'm moving on to all the Agatha Christie books I picked up on that recent Amazon kindle sale. Murder at the Vicarage is up first.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:52 PM

Dead Wake by Erik Larson

Tags
books , calorie mate reads this , fear of new threads , octo does not do research , reading time , take a look its in a book