The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 10-31-2016, 08:19 AM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Yyyyeah you wanna get that at the library if at all possible. Jojo has >1 mol of volumes at last count
My province's library system only lists three volumes on their website, all in French. And my French just isn't that good yet.

Also, those sexy English hardcovers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Good lord, I'm surprised teg. JBA is probably 1000% up your alley. Lots of chiseled handsome men fighting each other using modelling poses.
I am aware that everyone looks like a Tom of Finland drawing, yes.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:44 AM
Random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
My province's library system only lists three volumes on their website, all in French. And my French just isn't that good yet.
My local library seems to have the French volumes all the way up to volume 41, published in 2005. They were published by J'ai Lu, and I don't think they still do manga. If they do, I haven't seen any in my local bookstores for quite some time.

Wikipedia says there are 117 volumes in total.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywatson View Post
They were published by J'ai Lu, and I don't think they still do manga.
..."I read (past tense)?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywatson View Post
Wikipedia says there are 117 volumes in total.
gdagjofpadpfg
Old 10-31-2016, 09:25 AM
Are You Sure About That?

It's separated into discrete arcs (that reference previous ones, or have cameos from prior characters), the catch is that there's somewhere over ten arcs now, haha.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:05 AM
Random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
..."I read (past tense)?"
Correct! (I would probably translate it as 'I have read', but that's because I can be anal.)

It is also the name of a French publisher. They were one of the first French publishers, along with Glénat, to start putting out manga in France (with things like Dragon Quest, City Hunter, Orange Road...)

Funnily enough, unlike Glénat, the manga they did publish was un-flipped from the get go, although the panels did have numbers in the corner to indicate in which order they should be read. That was in the late 90's, I believe.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:20 PM

I was gonna say "I have read," but I went with what felt more natural to say.

also I know that I use phrases like "1000% up my alley" a lot but you don't gotta make fun of me for it OnO
Old 10-31-2016, 04:41 PM
Are You Sure About That?

I'm not though? Legit surprised you'd never read any JBA.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:14 AM
d.o_o.b

The first and second arcs of Jojo are three and four volumes long, respectively, so I'd give those a shot and see if you want to continue with it. If there's ever been a long-running series worth keeping up with, it's Jojo, and because each story arc follows a completely new character in a different decade, there are various natural stopping points. The first arc, Phantom Blood, is fairly typical 80s shonen stuff (well, comparatively), but Battle Tendency should give you pretty good idea of whether you're on board or not.

even if you do nothing else, you gotta watch this at some point
Old 11-01-2016, 06:31 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Every jojo Arc is basically 100% self contained except for maybe one or two guys from the last one who show up on the sidelines anywhere between 10 to 70 years older.

Every one mostly stars a new main character who's mostly just referred to as JoJo and you get to have an opinion on which JoJo's your favorite.

(My favorite is Joseph. Josuke's a close second.)
Old 11-01-2016, 07:14 AM
Is there not one thing

Jotaro gets points because in the back of your mind you think he'll stop being an asshole but he never does.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Jotaro gets points because in the back of your mind you think he'll stop being an asshole but he never does.
The first 3 Jojos Characters are perfectly established by the way we're introduced from them.

For Jonathan, we see a young boy living in the English countryside who champions the virtues of kindness, justice, honesty and fair play.

For Joseph, we see a sly but moral prankster, using goofy stunts to get the guy who just stole from him off the hook.

For Jotaro, we see a prisoner yell "SHUT UP BITCH!" at his mom.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:32 AM
Is there not one thing

Hahahaha
Old 11-02-2016, 12:53 AM
Blue Comet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
The first 3 Jojos Characters are perfectly established by the way we're introduced from them.

For Jonathan, we see a young boy living in the English countryside who champions the virtues of kindness, justice, honesty and fair play.

For Joseph, we see a sly but moral prankster, using goofy stunts to get the guy who just stole from him off the hook.

For Jotaro, we see a prisoner yell "SHUT UP BITCH!" at his mom.
To be fair, Jotaro's an unreconstructed asshole, but he understands the meaning of justice nonetheless. Didn't he send out a scathing lecture when Kakyoin (under DIO's control) was committing evil deeds?
Old 11-02-2016, 05:09 AM

Oh yeah he GETS right and wrong.

But his outlook on life is much less "STRIVE FOR WHAT'S RIGHT" and much more "FUCK YOU, ASSHOLE".

When Jonathan defeats a foe, he's all like "you fought well, it is sorrowful you chose the side of evil". When Jotaro does it he's like "that's what you get eat shit fuckface".
Old 11-02-2016, 02:35 PM
Blue Comet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
Oh yeah he GETS right and wrong.

But his outlook on life is much less "STRIVE FOR WHAT'S RIGHT" and much more "FUCK YOU, ASSHOLE".

When Jonathan defeats a foe, he's all like "you fought well, it is sorrowful you chose the side of evil". When Jotaro does it he's like "that's what you get eat shit fuckface".
And Joseph's more like *smirk* "You got played, loser!"
Old 11-06-2016, 04:48 PM
poisonous thread snake

It's a shame Viz never published any more of those Kazuo Umezu omnibus things. I have both of the Cat Eyed Boy volumes (the first one is quite expensive now, it seems), but I s'pose that Same Hat hype train wasn't gonna last forever. Looking back it seems like a miracle they ever came out at all.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:00 PM

My mostly-complete birthday comic haul! It's mostly manga so I figured it was better posted here. I also ordered myself the third Sex Criminals TPB and I've been told that that Junji Ito cat comic is on its way. I already had the first Parasyte, if you're wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttaster View Post
I have both of the Cat Eyed Boy volumes (the first one is quite expensive now, it seems)
Huh. Do I know how to pick 'em or what?
Old 11-06-2016, 07:11 PM
d.o_o.b

Helter Skelter is The Good Shit™.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:36 PM
Oily Butt Thing

I forget if I read that at some point ages ago. Is that one of those River's Edge type horrible things happen to teenagers deals?
Old 11-06-2016, 08:42 PM
d.o_o.b

It's about a fashion model.

Horrible things do happen though.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:43 AM

I loved Pink when I read it earlier this year, so I'm excited to finally read Helter Skelter, but also a little sad since I don't think Okazaki has any other books in English.

...But perhaps in French?
Old 11-07-2016, 07:06 AM
poisonous thread snake

I think Okazaki's Tokyo Girls Bravo is available in French. I don't know anything about the content but the Japanese covers are great.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:23 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Anyone else notice that Kochikame ended recently last August? I mean, I didn't read much of it or was particularly interested, but this is a series that had been going straight for 40 years! That's a crazy accomplishment. Heck, even it's goodbye issue in Shonen Jump featured 2 firsts: the first time a series that ended was featured on the cover (so, why not do this before? Was this a "know your place, mangaka!" power move on the publisher's part?) and the first time an issue of Jump was reprinted, the latter news being what brought it to my attention when I saw it on anime news network.

I assume that after 40 years, the creator has retired to spend more time with the sweet release of death.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:48 AM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Anyone else notice that Kochikame ended recently last August? I mean, I didn't read much of it or was particularly interested, but this is a series that had been going straight for 40 years! That's a crazy accomplishment. Heck, even it's goodbye issue in Shonen Jump featured 2 firsts: the first time a series that ended was featured on the cover (so, why not do this before? Was this a "know your place, mangaka!" power move on the publisher's part?) and the first time an issue of Jump was reprinted, the latter news being what brought it to my attention when I saw it on anime news network.

I assume that after 40 years, the creator has retired to spend more time with the sweet release of death.
As to why a finished series has never had the cover slot, it's probably because most series end due to dwindling popularity/editorial mandate, not because the creator is finished. If a series is ending and the editorial staff thinks the artist still has potential, they probably want to draw attention away so they can develop a new series for that creator to work on. If the editorial staff doesn't feel that the creator has potential, they probably don't want to draw attention to a dying ember. In the case of Kochikame, it's a rare case of a beloved and popular artist and series who's probably retiring solely because of age. I doubt Akimoto will ever do a serial again.

I imagine Kochikame was like the loveable grandpa of the Jump lineup all these years- not really relevant to anyone or anything, but still well liked and familiar to all. An institution, but no longer a necessary one.

According to Wikipedia, the creator of Kochikame, Osamu Akimoto, is unmarried. So maybe he's retiring to spend more time with loneliness. I also assume that, like Takao Saito, he just approves and pitches ideas for scripts and maybe draws the faces on.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:26 AM

Finished Parasyte. Damn good series. It's kind of the anti-shounen, despite having very shounen trappings (teenage boy gets special powers and uses them to fight other people with special powers), particularly in how it keeps action scenes deliberately clipped and efficient. The environmental musings are a little more hackneyed sounding than they were twenty years ago, but otherwise it's held up incredibly well. Reading the series in full has given me a renewed appreciation for the anime due to the latter's slavish devotion to the source material (I think the only changes made in the anime are some character design details, like Shinichi's glasses).

A++ would buy from this seller again
Old 11-07-2016, 12:30 PM
Blue Comet

Yes! I love Parasyte! It's genuinely one of my favorite manga ever. I liked both the anime and the manga, especially the anime ED, "It's The Right Time." Makes me tear up sometime ;_;
Old 11-07-2016, 01:53 PM
Is there not one thing

One of the things I love about Parasyte is how matter-of-fact it is about Shinichi's metamorphosis from terrified kid to dead-eyed veteran. He never really comes back from his mom's death.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:29 AM
Not a Beer

Ample's spoiler there is about where I made it to in the recent anime before going "christ, this is bleak" and getting distracted by other things. Maybe someday I'll get back to it...
Old 11-08-2016, 08:34 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Ample's spoiler there is about where I made it to in the recent anime before going "christ, this is bleak" and getting distracted by other things. Maybe someday I'll get back to it...
Yeah, that's where the psychological horror really kicks in. Parasyte is about the monsters around us, and watching Shinichi lose his humanity in that context did a number on me.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:59 AM
poisonous thread snake

I dunno, I always felt like Iwaaki positioned the parasites' behavior as logical and part of nature (hence there being no explanation of where they came from, or a uniting motive between them other than "eat people").

Shinichi's dehumanizing experiences are sort of just like... growing pains. Our humane sentimentality for sex and death is filtered through the (more objectively) alien perspective of Migi. Iwaaki likens humanity's position versus the parasites to every edible species versus humanity. Plus, post-dehumanized Shinichi finally gets the girl. He grows up. Battle-shocked Shinichi may throw the dead puppy in the trash, but is still later able to recognize and correct his mistake.

I don't mean to diminish what Shinichi goes through as a character, but I feel like the central theme of Parasyte has a lot to do with objectifying the role of humanity in nature while also shining the spotlight on all that good person-y stuff like empathy and love that also makes our predatory hellworld seem worthwhile. For being so fucking gross, I see it as being pretty optimistic.

Tags
ウエアブー , comics , derision , don't read anime , don't watch anime , fear of new threads , maagn , magma , magna , manga , manganese , mangos , powerful monster gf , recommendations