The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 12-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Inscaper

Default What Comics Did You Buy This Week?

Judging by the WTF thread people here DO read comics, so it's pretty self explanatory what did you get?

Last week I grabbed

Batman #681: Despite all the bullshit this was a pretty entertaining comic, I mean it's Batman taking down the Illuminati how is that not entertaining? Still it just wasn't crazy enough for the rest of the series, or epic enough to seem like a real ending. Just disappointing.

Buffy #19: The series continues to be something special, but the art get's wonky without warning. There was a big reveal a couple of issues ago that one of the characters had turned evil and I swear to Christ until this issue I thought it was a different one. That's a problem.

Daredevil #113: Brubaker goodness, Lady Bullseye is a badass, great drunken master style stuff, Bru writes Iron Fist again, Ninja's Drunken Master Zatoichi. However it does highlight the problem with this being basically the only mainstream superhero book I read, I do occasionally miss the significance of things, there's a major character death at the end of this, and I have no idea who the person who died is.

Umbrella Academy: God Save The President: So fucking good.

Ultimate Spiderman #128: Leave it to Bendis to bring back Gwen Stacy in away that's not insulting or a cheat, and have it actually be her. I normally hate Comic Book Death, but in this case I'll make an exception.

Trades: Ultimate Spiderman Hardcovers 7, 9 (75% off at my comic shoppe):

I have no idea why this series doesn't get more love. Bendis made the clone saga entertaining.

THE FUCKING CLONE SAGA. It was a well written gripping read. And it was the Goddamn CLONE SAGA.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Dead Junkie View Post
Ultimate Spiderman #128: Leave it to Bendis to bring back Gwen Stacy in away that's not insulting or a cheat, and have it actually be her. I normally hate Comic Book Death, but in this case I'll make an exception.
What? That's retarded. She got shanked and drained, old school. You can't get un-shanked and it not be retarded. And this is coming from someone who thought USM was the only super book worth reading for a long time.

Can you spoil it for me? I don't see how it could work -- frankly, I'm beginning to think all of this "normally I hate character resurrection, BUT..." business is dudes trying extra-hard to convince themselves.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Inscaper

The requested spoilers: Basically, Carnage didn't kill her it absorbed her, leaving her body dead but preserving her DNA and memories. Carnage chooses to merge with Eddie Brock and Venom, thus leaving Stacy behind.

But dear God sir you are unpleasant.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Banned

Sorry dude, it's been a long week. There are certain things I'd like to think I can count on in these crazy world -- things like dead Gwen Stacies.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Cranky Geezer In Training

I'm too cash-limited to afford to keep up my comic book habit (my limited entertainment funds have been going to books and the occasional video game instead), but when I had money I was following Fables, Planetary, and Powers.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:53 PM
It's all good, man

I don't really read new books, I've been content to buy TPBs of acclaimed stuff down the line.

EDIT: Haha, I did technically pay for volumes 7+8 of Y this week.

Last edited by Adrenaline; 12-02-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:57 PM
borgn

I bought the PA Birds Are Weird collection and a few photocopied minicomics on Sunday. I never buy monthly books other than Shonen Jump. Superheroes are for fags who like seeing tightly wrapped buns and packages.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
The requested spoilers: Basically, Spider-Boy Prime punched reality until everything was fixed..

But dear God sir you are unpleasant.
That sounds... kind of gross.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Inscaper

The reason this resurrection doesn't bother me is because it does play by the rules of the universe rather then simply superboy smash. The Symbiote took a host, albietly in a different way then usual, then the Symbiote left the host, leaving it OK.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Banned

Didn't the Venom/Carnage thing leave behind a graphic husk though? And didn't they make a point again and again of impressing on the reader from a dramatic standpoint that Gwen was dead? This seems like a pretty obvious cheat to bring back a character no one was banging at the gates to get back anyway. Comics just keep getting weirder, but rarely in a good way.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Inscaper

Right the basic idea is rather then the host absorbing the symbiote, the symbiote absorbed the host. The end result being the same when the symbiote left the host.

I for one am glad to see Stacy back. I like the way Bendis writes her, and I like the dynamic she adds to the group.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:09 PM
heh

Of note this week:

Umbrella Academy: God Save The President #1 - Agreed. So fucking good.

Runaways #3 - Terry Moore is no Brian K Vaughn, but he's still writing a pretty fun story, and Ramos seems to have tuned the wacky exaggerated art down a little bit, so I'm enjoying this issue much more than the last couple.

The Incredible Hercules #123 - This continues to be one of the best books Marvel puts out. Herc is a fantastic character, and every single issue is loads of fun. I hope the Hulk never comes back to reclaim his book

The Walking Dead #55 - The story is still trying to pick up the pace after the depressing end to the prison arc, but it's still a great read. I only wish each issue was a little longer. They always end up being such quick reads.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Conquers the World

Quote:
Right the basic idea is rather then the host absorbing the symbiote, the symbiote absorbed the host. The end result being the same when the symbiote left the host.

I for one am glad to see Stacy back. I like the way Bendis writes her, and I like the dynamic she adds to the group.
I've liked Gwen Stacy better than Mary Jane in just about every version of Spider-man. Part of the reason I'm so in love with The Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon is how much attention she gets.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Banned

Quote:

I liked Bendis's Stacy, too (I mostly like Bendis's everybody), I just didn't imagine the demand was particularly high for her return. Are sales slipping on the Ultimate line or something?
Old 12-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
I bought the PA Birds Are Weird collection and a few photocopied minicomics on Sunday. I never buy monthly books other than Shonen Jump.
A.) Birds are what? Minis? You have a scanner? I love hearing about small press stuff.

B.) What's the line-up in SJ? It was the only regular comic I read for years but after they dropped Hikaru no Go my subscription mysteriously lapsed....
Old 12-02-2008, 05:37 PM
This is what happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Nicolai View Post
B.) What's the line-up in SJ? It was the only regular comic I read for years but after they dropped Hikaru no Go my subscription mysteriously lapsed....
Currently:

One Piece
Yu Yu Hakusho (but this only has a few volumes left)
Slam Dunk (Only for one more month. Then it goes to trades.)
Naruto
BoBoBo
Yu-gi-oh GX (Ugh... At least it's only one chapter an issue)
Bleach

They've announced the replacement for Slam Dunk but I'm too lazy to look up what it is.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
A.) Birds are what?
It's the fourth Penny Arcade collection.

I just so happened to buy the third Sandman collection this week. It's so sad when crazy people want something, because you know they don't have the ability to get it any more. And Delirium is, after all, the epitome of crazy.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:27 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Got Absolute Watchmen as a birthday gift, so buying anything else would sully it.

(Not that I'm complaining, but... goddamn, do I hate hardcovers.)

The gf got me a couple of Showcase volumes as part of my gift, which was neat.

As for the Gwen thing... it reversed Bendis' biggest sin on the book, namely killing her off in the first place (he'd written Gwen into being more interesting than MJ, which had to be a first) to put freaking CARNAGE over. It's like whenever the WWE beats up Rey Mysterio to put over their horrible big guy of the week. Sure, you can do it, but after it's done it's best to pretend that it never happened.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:31 PM
ILU Tiger Millionaire

Got to go to Borders yesterday, so I got myself...

Ultimate X-Men Volume 5: Ultimate War - For the longest time, I've been hesitating to read Ultimate X-Men. I've heard and read so many mixed opinions on it, and while I knew it would be best to figure out how it is for myself, I've still waited for the longest time. I've decided to read Millar's, Vaughan's and Bendis's run. And after I started with Ultimate X-Men Ultimate Collection #1 and #2, I must say...concerning Millar's run, I'm truly enjoying it so far. I'm glad to have found this, as his stuff can usually be hit or miss. The art is definitely inconsistent, but I believe Millar has combined the Stan Lee and Claremont eras of the series together in a way that works. And I'm liking Ultimate War. Along with Millar's writing, Chris Bachalo's art can be beautiful to look at.

Batman #680 - Yes, I know. I'm behind. But I'm still enjoying Morrison's run on the series, despite what many are saying.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Kinda like rap noise-pop

The first Nextwave trade: Fun stuff, although Ellis’ dialogue irks me at times.

Captain America #whateverthelastonewas: I like the direction it’s going.

I’ve bought a lot of No.1 trades this year. I figure I should actually advance beyond the starting storylines for a few of the trades I’ve bought. But man, I still haven’t started on Planetary or Walking Dead or Scott Pilgrim or like a billion other books, and there’s just so much stuff out there that I want to try.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:05 PM
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJR View Post
Captain America #whateverthelastonewas: I like the direction it’s going.try.
Shit, that reminds me. I bought that last week too and I haven't read it yet. What's wrong with me?
Old 12-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Kinda like rap noise-pop

Oh, and I also bought the Stupid, Stupid Rat-Tails: The Adventures of Big Johnson Bone trade and the complete Scud The Disposable Assassin collection for my brother. He loves Bone and Deadpool, so I think he’ll enjoy these as well (although I haven't read either myself).
Old 12-02-2008, 07:07 PM
d.o_o.b

I just ordered Nana Vol. 13. I am very excited about this!

Man, Ultimate Spider-Man is really fucking good. I should start picking up the trades.

And while I'm at it, I need to collect the rest of Punisher MAX.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Terrible confusion

All I read is Amazing Spider-man and Thor. Spider-man has been great since Brand New Day, and I really like how the story moves at three issues a month (at the same time, it makes for less titles in the budget). Thor is just f'ing great.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:42 PM

ACME Novelty Library #19 - freakin' incredible. That's all that can be said about anything Rusty Brown-related.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:44 PM
borgn

Quote:
A.) Birds are what? Minis? You have a scanner? I love hearing about small press stuff.
Neil Jam #15 (neiljam.com) and "Mine All Mine" which looks like a small compilation of strips about stealing/shoplifting
Old 12-02-2008, 07:57 PM
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergasa View Post
All I read is Amazing Spider-man and Thor. Spider-man has been great since Brand New Day, and I really like how the story moves at three issues a month (at the same time, it makes for less titles in the budget). Thor is just f'ing great.
Spider-man has totally redeemed itself in the past few months. I wasn't initially very happy with where Brand New Day started out, but now it's absolutely fantastic.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:08 PM
I say thee neigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
Sorry dude, it's been a long week. There are certain things I'd like to think I can count on in these crazy world -- things like dead Gwen Stacies.
if spectacular gwen stacy dies...i'm coming for you

this week i am looking forward to secret invasion finale, a Luke & Jessica-centric New Avengers, the coninuation of Mark Waid's really strong Amazing Spider-Man arc, the latest domestic volume of Berserk (in which the titular element of the story is finally introduced) and I will probably jack somebody's copy of the new Batman to read the epilogue to RIP
Old 12-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Follow the fuck-man

If I hear one thing from jds complaining about retcon stories not being able to be good stories I am going to shut his face.

I am looking forward to secret shitvasion finally being over tomorrow. Dear Marvel: Never ever let Brian Mendis right an event series again. NEVER. House of m failed and so does this.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Crazy Old Bird

I subsist mostly on webcomics and newspaper strip collections, with the occasional graphic novel.

I can't even remember the last time I bought a monthly comic...

Tags
comics , demon bush , detective comics , detective comics comics , manga , marvel , paid comic book day