The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Scrub That Shit Down

Default With Apologies To CAG (cheapassgamer.com): The Game Deals Thread

Wherein we inform our fellow financially strained Tyrants of game deals and promotions.

Inspired by Steam's weekend sale, which, for the next few hours, is offering Beyond Good and Evil for $5. Personally I think the game breaks down about halfway through, but it is a pretty good, cult Zelda-clone with a forthcoming sequel. If you've been holding out, or have been put off by the high price of the discs, now's your chance.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Placeholder

Newegg's rocking Xbox Live Gold 12-month Memberships for $40.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Justice is my Middle Name

I'm fine with this topic, just promise me that anybody that posts here won't be an elitist jackass like most of the people there.

I also don't have any deals to post. The only one I know of is local.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Baron View Post
Newegg's rocking Xbox Live Gold 12-month Memberships for $40.
Newegg can suck it. Worst customer service I've had on the Internet since Outpost.com tried to pretend they never got a computer I returned for a refund 12 years ago. ("Well, actually, I checked the tracking number through UPS and it says you DID receive it, and it was signed for by this person." "Ohhhh, wait, here it is! Ha ha, how did we manage to miss it! Gosh.")
Old 08-25-2008, 07:23 AM
clean cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
Newegg can suck it. Worst customer service I've had on the Internet since Outpost.com tried to pretend they never got a computer I returned for a refund 12 years ago. ("Well, actually, I checked the tracking number through UPS and it says you DID receive it, and it was signed for by this person." "Ohhhh, wait, here it is! Ha ha, how did we manage to miss it! Gosh.")

Your newegg complaint intrigues me. I have never had a problem, but I get fairly irritated at how over-the-top glowing all reviews are for newegg. I want to read a review of cheap soundcards and at least half of the reviews talk about how newegg is the best thing evar.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:38 AM
Lipton Cup 'o Fangs

Yeah, this blew my mind, too. Everybody loves NewEgg, don't they? I mean, dang, I did a lot of business with them back when I was working for GameTap, and I was happy with their service each time.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:38 AM
gatchapon 3*

newegg has never steered me wrong, and i've built three computers with their parts.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:44 AM
Thanatos feeding time

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
newegg has never steered me wrong, and i've built three computers with their parts.
I find this fascinating as you live within spitting distance of at least 900 Frys Electronics locations.

I don't mind buying parts from NewEgg, but for speed and convenience I usually just buy locally. I bought every part for Danielle's PC from Frys and paid about 40 bucks more than I would have at New Egg - and I didn't have a bunch of boxes sitting in my driveway all afternoon.

On topic: Best Buy has dropped the price of the Soul Calibur IV LE to $60, both systems.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:54 AM
gatchapon 3*

yeah, but the case i was looking for and the mobo i was looking for weren't in any of the frys, so i had to go online. it pissed me off, but what can you do?
Old 08-25-2008, 08:58 AM

Most people who recommend something haven't dealt with customer service. The glowing reviews you usually hear are no doubt because buying computer parts a la carte via newegg is much better in terms of price and selection than electronic stores.

Last edited by dosboot; 08-25-2008 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:59 AM
Brain Boiled in Anthrax

In the world of professional computer super-nerds newegg is almost a holy construct. In the 10+ years I have been buying parts from them exclusively I have not only never had a bad experience or heard of anyone else having a bad experience, but the couple of times I actually did have to interact with their customer service it was some of the best I've had short of Nintendo.

This is not to say that they can't have bad service or that Parish is lying or something, I'm just fascinated that for a company with such an amazing reputation that it happened at all.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:08 AM
To the Max

I, too, have had nothing but great experiences with NewEgg, although I haven't used them nearly as much as others. I planned on building my computer once, but then realized that I need...money to do that.

But this thread is about dealz! Apparently Amazon's Gold Box deal this Wednesday is an All PS3 event.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:08 PM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djSyndrome View Post
On topic: Best Buy has dropped the price of the Soul Calibur IV LE to $60, both systems.
Argh.

(All I really want is the damn business suit for character creation. And maybe the sailor fuku I guess. They can keep their silly t-shirt and crappy bracket card.)
Old 08-25-2008, 05:36 PM
To the Max

It's funny how quickly the prices for the LE versions of games go down. I'm reminded of this fact every time I walk into Gamestop and see a stack of Legendary Halo 3 editions sitting in the middle of the store for $40. I'm almost tempted to buy the lot of them and have helmet-wearing cat army.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:13 PM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by willm137 View Post
But this thread is about dealz! Apparently Amazon's Gold Box deal this Wednesday is an All PS3 event.
PS3 owners without Uncharted: Jump on this. They've been selling good stuff at half price.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:27 PM
I am being eaten?

Why doesn't Gold Box ever work?
Old 08-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Getting Equipped

I got it to work after it came back from its horrible death. Picked up Shiren for $19 as well.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:11 PM
It's all good, man

It seems like DMC4 got 100% claimed way faster than Uncharted.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:45 PM
Loves to overthink.

Crap, I forgot about this and would've jumped on Uncharted! But that's fine, it'll be that price in a few months when it hits the Greatest Hits.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:10 AM
I like Starman.

I missed Uncharted sadly and I'll just have to hope it becomes a greatest hit this fall, but I did pick up Ratchet and Clank for half price so that was good. Give me something new to play next week.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Gettin' dizzy

As its been reported on a few game blogs, you will be able to download Command and Conquer Red Alert (the original!) for free on Sunday August 31 at http://www.ea.com/redalert/

Free is the best price for me!
Old 08-29-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimJimm View Post
As its been reported on a few game blogs, you will be able to download Command and Conquer Red Alert (the original!) for free on Sunday August 31 at http://www.ea.com/redalert/

Oh man, that's awesome. I LOVE Command and Conquer Red Alert.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:36 PM
Clickclickclickclick

Quote:

That is totally awesome for a lot of people. I'll just grab the CDs off my shelf when I want to play it again though. I should try beating it again... since I SUCK at RTS I've started StarCraft, Red Alert, and Red Alert 2 something like 4 times each and never gotten beyond like mission 6 in any of them. Go ahead and lynch me.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:41 PM
Placeholder

You can also Pre-order Red Alert 3 and get Red Alert 2.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:17 PM
Evocative

I just bought Front Mission DS for $10 at Best Buy. Oh those clearance racks...
Old 08-30-2008, 07:57 AM
Scrub That Shit Down

If you somehow haven't played Portal yet/haven't decided you hate it due to over exposure, it is going for $10 on Steam this weekend. Jump on it!

Edit: I swear I'm not a Valve plant.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Hoo?

No one else has mentioned it, so:

Disgaea for the PS2 is getting a reprint; you can buy it for $20 as soon as the new print comes on September 2nd!

I'm not sure it counts, but it's still good.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reibeatall View Post
I'm fine with this topic, just promise me that anybody that posts here won't be an elitist jackass like most of the people there.

I also don't have any deals to post. The only one I know of is local.
Would you care to elaborate? I would have never though anyone would ever label the CAG posters as elitist jackasses (unless said person doing the labeling was a deal hoarder).

Dealwise: I just purchased PS3 Madden 09 Collector's Edition for $62 at Target. I wasn't even planning on purchasing Madden this year but the prospect of being able to play Madden 09 and 93 for such a deal was too promising to pass up.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Gettin' dizzy

Now I remember why I hate PC games.

I downloaded Red Alert (remember, its free!) and now I have no idea how to install it. It wants me to place the Red Alert CD in the CD drive, but guess what? Theres no CD! This was downloaded! How the hell do they expect me to install this?!
Old 09-01-2008, 06:49 PM
To the Max

Quote:
Now I remember why I hate PC games.

I downloaded Red Alert (remember, its free!) and now I have no idea how to install it. It wants me to place the Red Alert CD in the CD drive, but guess what? Theres no CD! This was downloaded! How the hell do they expect me to install this?!
I think the downloads are the actual ISOs of the game, so you'll have to either burn the files to a blank disk or use a special program to open them.

Tags
ally mcbeals , bill mcneals , cheap games , congeals , deals , drm-freels , eels , feels , for reals , heels , keels , key and peeles , kneels , meals , neils , peels , reels , seals , squeals , steals , steam , teals , the captain and tennilles , wheels , zeals