The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 05-16-2017, 06:20 PM
Random guy

True story: I was in a waiting room, playing Golden Sun on my DS Lite, and as I was playing it, I nearly started yelling 'For f***'s sake, shut the f*** up!'

I gave up on the game about an hour later, and have never looked back.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:28 PM
oh my car

Things needed to fix Golden Sun:
  • About half as many lines
  • Make it hard enough that it actually tests you on your understanding of the djinn system
  • Some fast travel would be nice
Old 05-16-2017, 07:27 PM
Obtuse Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
Or, no. If I had to single out one thing about Golden Sun I wish they would've done better, it would've been for elemental affinities to actually matter more than almost literally nothing. Like, sure, I get it, when you have elementally-coded party members, it sucks for a boss to just be straight-up immune to someone. But that's the entire purpose of Djinn, to mix up those elements! There's a really great system there that never really gets explored, and I hate it.

(also maybe give pure psynergy better damage scaling so that it can actually maybe consider competing with physical psynergy)
This is a great idea. In general, I'd prefer if Golden Sun was a lot harder than it ended up being so you could make use of all of its mechanics. Maybe a Hard mode?

Also while the script would definitely benefit from editing, I think it needs a Skip Cutscene button over that.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:41 AM

Finished Advance Wars. First time I've actually beaten the dang thing.I wound up with Andy, Grit, and Sami, which I think was a pretty solid combo overall. Sami was able to procure a lot of bases pretty quick, so she was eventually able to start pumping out MD Tanks alongside her infantry. Andy I had build whatever he could to counter what was incoming, usually anti air stuff. I had Grit in behind deep with artillery and rockets.

The damn meteor was very very hard to deal with. But the AI is a bit too easy to bait. The enemy will always focus on transport units like APCs and T-Copters first, so a lot of times I would build them and use them specifically as bait for his bigger units, like bombers and MD tanks.

It took 22 damn turns to finally destroy all his units. I noticed there is an Advanced Campaign to try out now.. I started up the first mission of that and very quickly decided that it wasn't for me! But this is quite a good game.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:27 AM
The metal babble flees!

Golden Sun is one of those games that, much like Rocket Slime, I hear so much love for, but couldn't tolerate myself. In both cases: buy game, hate it, ditch game, hear people lavishing love on it, buy game again, hate game, ditch game for good.

Worst person. At least I've finally learned if I don't like something first off, that I'm unlikely ever to.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:35 AM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
Finished Advance Wars. First time I've actually beaten the dang thing.I wound up with Andy, Grit, and Sami, which I think was a pretty solid combo overall.
Congrats! That last mission is a doozy, but at least you had Grit on the left and not Olaf.

Now you're ready to get your butt kicked across Macro Land in AW2!
Old 05-17-2017, 08:35 AM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood View Post
Golden Sun is one of those games that, much like Rocket Slime, I hear so much love for, but couldn't tolerate myself. In both cases: buy game, hate it, ditch game, hear people lavishing love on it, buy game again, hate game, ditch game for good.

Worst person. At least I've finally learned if I don't like something first off, that I'm unlikely ever to.
I understand this. Ask me how many Tales games I've bought despite liking exactly one of them. Or how many time's I've bought the game Hoshigami despite no one loving it, just because it looked like something I would like.

I bought Hoshigami three times and it was terrible every time. It was bad on PS1, the DS remake was just as bad and the cheap copy of the DS remake I picked up a couple of years later was still just as bad. I hate that goddamned game. I wonder if gamestop has a copy...
Old 05-17-2017, 08:47 AM
The metal babble flees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
I bought Hoshigami three times and it was terrible every time. It was bad on PS1, the DS remake was just as bad and the cheap copy of the DS remake I picked up a couple of years later was still just as bad. I hate that goddamned game. I wonder if gamestop has a copy...
Don't do it, RB. There are plenty of anime-tactics games for DS and 3DS that aren't wretched ol' Hoshigami! How about Devil Survivor? Any of the FE games? Pokémon Conquest even??
Old 05-17-2017, 08:51 AM
Crabjörn

Quote:
I understand this. Ask me how many Tales games I've bought despite liking exactly one of them. Or how many time's I've bought the game Hoshigami despite no one loving it, just because it looked like something I would like.

Some day, someone will LP Black Sigil, and I dearly hope it isn't me.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:31 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Golden Sun is one of those games that I loved at the time, but that I'm positive I would absolutely hate today.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:18 AM
It's all good, man

I wish I was a bit more into Horizon's world, and I think the controls feel a little... off, but OVERALL, I'm digging Zero Dawn.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:40 AM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Ask me how many Tales games I've bought despite liking exactly one of them.
I liked Phantasia well enough despite the gameplay being poorly dated , but it had a certain level of restraint compared to later Tales games? Like, even in the remakes, you could tell from the general tone of the game that it was developed by a very different Wolf Team (i.e. many people who'd form tri-ACE after being angered by Namco's meddling) than the games after it. Like, more of a human element, and a whole lot less of the crazy cartoon wackiness.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:39 PM
Armor Guardian

I recently stumbled across PuzzleScript, a web-based game creation system for Sokoban clones, and I've been playing several different games. A couple that met my standards of quality include the following:

- Aunt Flora's Mansion - A set of ZZT-style slider puzzles inside of a contiguous world.
- Sticky Candy Puzzle Saga - Sokoban, except the crates are color coded and automatically stick to each other.

If anybody has any recommendations, let me know.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:05 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-55J View Post
If anybody has any recommendations, let me know.
Alan Hazelden works in Puzzlescript fairly often. His stuff can be found here. They can get pretty tough. Of those, I've played Skipping Stones to Lonely Homes, Boxes Love Boxing Gloves, Spikes n Stuff, Mirror Isles, and Train Braining.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:45 PM
hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchstick View Post
Alan Hazelden works in Puzzlescript fairly often. His stuff can be found here. They can get pretty tough. Of those, I've played Skipping Stones to Lonely Homes, Boxes Love Boxing Gloves, Spikes n Stuff, Mirror Isles, and Train Braining.
my head hurts
Old 05-19-2017, 05:30 AM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywatson View Post
True story: I was in a waiting room, playing Golden Sun on my DS Lite, and as I was playing it, I nearly started yelling 'For f***'s sake, shut the f*** up!'

I gave up on the game about an hour later, and have never looked back.
I've never been more insulted by a game than when, in Golden Sun Dark Dawn, you meet the first Djinn and its asks if you want a tutorial on how Djinn work. I'd played the earlier games, so I said "no."

And Djinn said "No, I'm gonna give you the tutorial anyway."

Basically, they just straight up called me a stupid idiot who doesn't know what's good for him. That takes some balls, Camelot.

I'm ashamed that I played the rest of the game anyway.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:58 AM
Come, noble knights!

I hate it when games act like you can skip a tutorial and then are all like like "lol j/k YOU HAVE NO CHOICE" if you choose to. Either let the player actually skip the tutorial or don't give them the option in the first place. Pretending the player can skip a tutorial and then forcing it on 'em if they try is an asshole move.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:06 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
I've never been more insulted by a game than when, in Golden Sun Dark Dawn, you meet the first Djinn and its asks if you want a tutorial on how Djinn work. I'd played the earlier games, so I said "no."

And Djinn said "No, I'm gonna give you the tutorial anyway."

Basically, they just straight up called me a stupid idiot who doesn't know what's good for him. That takes some balls, Camelot.

I'm ashamed that I played the rest of the game anyway.
I still admire the gumption of that. I hated experiencing it, but credit where it's due.

That and everyone speaking in emojis constantly are the two things that most immediately come to mind with the series.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:34 AM
Fifth Business

I got Gravity Rush 2 when it was discounted recently, and been playing it this week, and...REALLY loving it?

More than I expected to?

Or maybe, as much as I expected to like the series before I tried Gravity Rush 1 (Remastered)?

The first Gravity Rush bummed me out bad by taking a truly inspired and fun-as-hell gameplay mechanic with magnificent art direction and plenty of personality but still somehow ended up feeling really dull and mediocre to actually play as soon as the initial novelty of fall-flying wore off.

It was enough that I ended up skipping out on 2 at first, which I feel kinda bad about now because for some reason I am enjoying this one much more. So much more! And I can't even specifically point out an exact reason why...it's still sometimes annoying and time-wasting and imprecise in the ways the first one was...but everything about it is still just so much bigger and better in enough ways that it's all really working for me, at least so far. I also find the story and characters to be more engaging and dynamic rather than the wheels-spinning of the first game, which sometimes had a habit of feeling like it was just killing time until its own sequel for some reason, while I am now playing the sequel where things actually happen. And the settings themselves feel much more varied and vibrant, LITERALLY so once you finish up the initial dreary Banga stuff and move on to the breathtakingly colorful and beautiful first major city. Getting to explore it all is a great and genuinely unique experience.

I also commend them for making the first sidequest you can accept in the game being 'spend too much time finding five ducks arbitrarily perched on random and mostly indistinguishable locations with no stakes, time limit, or room for skill beyond Noticing Ducks'. And the fact that there was absolutely no concrete or observable reward for having completed this sidequest at all (which was so alarming to me I literally looked up online to confirm that there WAS supposed to be no reward, and that my game hadn't actually just glitched out on the key 'justify the fact that you just did this' portion of the mission), well, it ended up giving me the most important prize of all: knowledge. The knowledge to NEVER DO ANY SIDEQUESTS IN GRAVITY RUSH 2.

It was essentially a very meta form of tutorial, all to teach me that lesson. Taught through the language of ducks on roofs.

Since then, the pacing has been juuuuust fine.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:42 AM
Blue Comet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deptford View Post
I got Gravity Rush 2 when it was discounted recently, and been playing it this week, and...REALLY loving it?

More than I expected to?

Or maybe, as much as I expected to like the series before I tried Gravity Rush 1 (Remastered)?

The first Gravity Rush bummed me out bad by taking a truly inspired and fun-as-hell gameplay mechanic with magnificent art direction and plenty of personality but still somehow ended up feeling really dull and mediocre to actually play as soon as the initial novelty of fall-flying wore off.

It was enough that I ended up skipping out on 2 at first, which I feel kinda bad about now because for some reason I am enjoying this one much more. So much more! And I can't even specifically point out an exact reason why...it's still sometimes annoying and time-wasting and imprecise in the ways the first one was...but everything about it is still just so much bigger and better in enough ways that it's all really working for me, at least so far. I also find the story and characters to be more engaging and dynamic rather than the wheels-spinning of the first game, which sometimes had a habit of feeling like it was just killing time until its own sequel for some reason, while I am now playing the sequel where things actually happen. And the settings themselves feel much more varied and vibrant, LITERALLY so once you finish up the initial dreary Banga stuff and move on to the breathtakingly colorful and beautiful first major city. Getting to explore it all is a great and genuinely unique experience.

I also commend them for making the first sidequest you can accept in the game being 'spend too much time finding five ducks arbitrarily perched on random and mostly indistinguishable locations with no stakes, time limit, or room for skill beyond Noticing Ducks'. And the fact that there was absolutely no concrete or observable reward for having completed this sidequest at all (which was so alarming to me I literally looked up online to confirm that there WAS supposed to be no reward, and that my game hadn't actually just glitched out on the key 'justify the fact that you just did this' portion of the mission), well, it ended up giving me the most important prize of all: knowledge. The knowledge to NEVER DO ANY SIDEQUESTS IN GRAVITY RUSH 2.

It was essentially a very meta form of tutorial, all to teach me that lesson. Taught through the language of ducks on roofs.

Since then, the pacing has been juuuuust fine.
I really love Gravity Rush 2, I gotta get the DLC sometime, but the camera spazzed out for me a lot
Old 05-19-2017, 10:43 AM
Crabjörn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
That and everyone speaking in emojis constantly are the two things that most immediately come to mind with the series.
I rather liked that element of it, and I liked that Dark Dawn tried to make that into a character-building element for Matthew (using one emoji or less, how do you feel about the situation at hand?). Course, the problem was that now the other characters had to interpret your emoji, and were frequently really bad at it.

There is one instance in which the game legitimately surprised me in a beautiful way about this, though: during the part where Laurel is telling your team "oh FYI there's a doomsday device under Belinsk and don't turn it on you prats." Tyrell, an established bad terrible idiot person, says "Don't worry, we're not gonna turn it on, right Matthew?" I responded with the angry emote because I hate Tyrell, and he interpreted that as a sarcastic nod to the tune of "No yeah we'll TOTALLY turn on this doomsday device, THANKS for telling us." For bonus points, this upsets Tyrell.

This is only slightly diluted by the fact that you do end up turning on the doomsday device later, endangering the lives of thousands of people across Angara. Spoilers.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:53 PM
oh my car

I'm bad at Thumper, but the generous checkpoints and unlimited continues mean that I eventually stumble through and can manage every few levels to briefly enter the intended trance state where you act on instinct. It's fun.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:18 PM
Crabjörn

So I picked up DOOM during the Steam sale and beat it the other day.

Of course, it's a really great game in terms of just shooting and punching demons in the face. Weapon of choice: Siege Mode Gauss Cannon. Packs a hell of a wallop.

What I didn't expect was for the game to have such good storytelling.

I have almost never seen the silent protagonist archetype used as effectively as it has been here. The Doom Marine only communicates with their hands (and feet, though those are largely relegated to kicking demon ass) but they still tell a LOT about what they feel about any given situation. Cracking his knuckles through Samuel Hayden's explanations and excuses, then cutting him off by backhanding monitors across the room, speaks volumes. Disregarding Hayden's careful instructions on how to disable the Argent filters in favor of stomping them off, likewise. Even though their character is fairly straightforward, the game does so much to drive the point home: this is a guy who is angry about everything going on, especially the parts where the UAC are ruining everything.

Likewise, the game has a lot of lore buried in it, and some really interesting dangly bits within that lore to fuel a sequel, but it doesn't shove any of it in your face and the game has a very definite ending to it. There's a surprising amount of stuff to learn about the game world, some questions that come up when looking into it, and just enough info to give you some ideas of what the answers might be. It's been a while since I've anticipated a sequel for a game despite no news of one any time soon, but this is one instance where I definitely am.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:23 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

This could also go in Gripe I guess but I'll put it here: Skyrim's Dark Brotherhood storyline is miles more interesting than the main quest.

Edit: Just started the Legion storyline and it's Michael Effing Hogan!

Last edited by Issun; 05-19-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:09 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

So Darksiders is pretty neat in a ridiculous mid-90s Image comics sort of way.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:26 AM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
So Darksiders is pretty neat in a ridiculous mid-90s Image comics sort of way.
Joe Madureira directed it.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:10 AM
Not A Low-Level Life Form

Mabinogi Duel is a surprisingly good mobile phone collectible card game with a fucking amazing soundtrack (see below) and a stylish as heck interface. But even if it didn't have those things, the fact that it includes a (poorly localized) narrative single player campaign full of interesting set-piece fights* that use the mechanics in inventive ways would have sold me on it. Also I really appreciate that if you build a single-resource deck, your deck's function can be 100% devoid of random chance.

*Hey, player! There are treaties in place that say we Elves can't fight humans, so uh... good luck winning this fight I can't help with using like, one wolf and a pile of creature-targeting damage spells!

dem musics:

you ever notice how I post about mobile games on Fridays? It's because Friday at my job is really boring
Old 05-20-2017, 04:48 AM
Mystery Contraption

I don't recall the last time I saw a game with such a laser-like focus on being Octo as Chroma Force.

It's an SRPG where you play as the stuntmen in a transparently obvious Power Rangers knockoff where following the cheoregraphers stage directions for fight scenes gives better ratings and therefor gives you money you use for better props which not only improve your characters but also bring in more viewers.

In your first episode the budget is so low that the Monster of the Week is a cardboard box with a scary face drawn on it and boxing gloves taped to the side.

It's beautiful
Old 05-20-2017, 06:55 AM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
This could also go in Gripe I guess but I'll put it here: Skyrim's Dark Brotherhood storyline is miles more interesting than the main quest.
This statement also holds true for Oblivion. Also you can switch out Dark Brotherhood with Thieves Guild for both games and it'd still be right.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:43 PM
An Animal of Joy

I'm about 1/3 of the way through Farpoint I think, and the climactic encounter of the second level ramped things up quickly. This game is so much fun with the Aim controller, and embodies what I like to call "the joy of aiming" more than anything else I've ever played. It's so perfectly calibrated that there have been times, where I've taken a snap shot from the hip at a little blur out of the corner of my eye and ended up hitting a tiny jumping spider at 30 feet. Feels good.

The planet would seem kind of bland in a normal game, but the VR presentation makes it really atmospheric and fun to look at plain ol' canyon walls and Blue Caves.

Tags
everything is awesome , fear of new threads , good games , just make a new thread , making threads is better , repulsive positivity