The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

Crystalis: Picked this up for a bit last night. Hot damn this game is still like 20 kinds of awesome. The best thing about it is the delightful "fwee-boo!" sound the Rabbit Boots make as you hop around.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:23 AM
There's no thread shortag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
Crystalis: Picked this up for a bit last night. Hot damn this game is still like 20 kinds of awesome. The best thing about it is the delightful "fwee-boo!" sound the Rabbit Boots make as you hop around.
Congratulations, you got yourself an excellent game!
Old 08-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danowar View Post
Congratulations, you got yourself an excellent game!
I should have clarified that I'm picking it up for like the 20th time. =)
Old 08-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Suspected Atarian

I still have one star left on Super Mario Galaxy.
I think I am near the end on Halo 2.
I am on the third case in Phoenix Wright.

EDIT:
Oh yeah......
I tried the demos for Braid and Geometry Wars 2 and now need to get me some Live points...
Old 08-11-2008, 01:01 PM
23 ski-dook

GTA IV - I still can't put this game down; I just love how every single time I turn the game on, something different and unexpected happens. I was trying to get Niko into one of the helicopter tour.. helicopters, and some people were already inside it and the copter was about to take off. Niko pretty much forced himself in anyway, causing the other people in the copter to basically fall out. Because I realized it was a tour I had already taken before, I skipped past it so Niko could get out. Thing is, when I pressed the skip button, the helicopter was still ascending. Niko calmly opened the helicopter door and pretty much plummeted down onto the pavement. I couldn't stop laughing.

Arkanoid DS - I love the jazzy tunes.

Space Invaders Extreme - Awesome music and gameplay. I honestly can't remember the last time I've had this much fun with a shooter like this.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Junior Jr.

Default Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbuu82 View Post
I am playing Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence for the first time. It's also my first Metal Gear game. The gameplay is a lot of fun even if I am not particularly effective at CQC. I have really enjoyed the campiness of the plot (complete with that great Bond-style opening) with an occasional view into Kojima's mind via the codec conversations (specifically Para-Medic, Eva, and The Boss). I just finished up the torture room scene and am trying to get out of the prison. I hope the game holds up to the end.
Wow, that's almost EXACTLY what I was going to write! I too am playing MGS3: Subsistence for the first time and my first Metal Gear game also. I'm a little further than you I think. I love this game and shame on me for never playing MGS before.
I'm not good at CQC either and didn't even know you could drag guys you knocked out until I had to. I also thought the little "R1" displayed during cinemas skipped them, so when I finally hit it during one I was just blown away! I think it's right up there in my top games of all time list. I have not been this excited to replay a game in a long time!
Old 08-12-2008, 11:10 AM
#deadfish2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by le geek View Post
I still have one star left on Super Mario Galaxy.
One star really, or one star with Mario?
Old 08-14-2008, 07:16 AM
Suspected Atarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
One star really, or one star with Mario?
One star with Mario, heh. So yeah almost half done! Played some more Half Life 2 and Portal last night and while I've been enjoying Half Life 2's "man on the run" theme pretty much non stop (I'm in hover boat thing and have cleared a few puzzles), Portal finally started to click for me now that I've experienced the robot drones lullabies...
Old 08-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Mad Overlord

FFIV DS: Going in, I expected to enjoy the music, challenging strategy, and nostalgia, and those are all present and correct. However, one element that I'm consciously noticing for the first time is the fast, varied pacing compared to most RPGs. I love the way that the plot keeps twisting in ways that would be unexpected if I were playing for the first time, and that characters keep coming and going, so each dungeon feels substantially different from the previous one in terms of the arsenal of attack powers, spells, and special abilities available to tackle it with. It's easy to criticize the "everybody sacrifices themselves to save the party" overuse, or the very limited control the player has over character development, but the result works great in this game, and is a nice contrast to games where your party is established early on, and only changes through the gradual acquisition of new powers.

Lost Vikings: The gameplay is just as much fun as I remember, but I'm really struck by the care put into the animations to make them really charming. I smile every time I see the way Baleog scowls and peers left and right as he runs, the way Erik's beard and mustache flow up as he's coming down from a jump, and Olaf's vacant grin.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Especially Angry

Metroid Prime 2:Echoes: This is my second time trying to get through the game. I'm actually really enjoying it! I dunno, I guess it has been long enough since I played a Prime game, and I think I've got the maturity to actually use my Light/Dark beams and finally beat those dark worlds.

Last edited by SamuelMarston; 08-14-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Rawrther.

I'm really enjoying Zelda Phantom Hourglass.

And I really have no clue why.

I guess it's just doing its best to fill the Link's Awakening shaped void in my heart.

Dammit Nintendo make Link's Awakening DX DS
Old 08-14-2008, 07:22 PM
First Crusade! Judge!

God Hand. I've been playing this on and off ever since I picked it up really, and it never fails to satisfy. Between the deep combat system and the custom challenges you can put on yourself (rather like Resident Evil 4, now that I think about it), there's always something for me to come back to.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojum View Post
Lost Vikings: The gameplay is just as much fun as I remember, but I'm really struck by the care put into the animations to make them really charming. I smile every time I see the way Baleog scowls and peers left and right as he runs, the way Erik's beard and mustache flow up as he's coming down from a jump, and Olaf's vacant grin.
True fact: sometimes I'll just hop around with Erik to watch his facial hair animation. It's very satisfying. I love watching the game in motion.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:37 PM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojum View Post
FFIV DS: Going in, I expected to enjoy the music, challenging strategy, and nostalgia, and those are all present and correct. However, one element that I'm consciously noticing for the first time is the fast, varied pacing compared to most RPGs. I love the way that the plot keeps twisting in ways that would be unexpected if I were playing for the first time, and that characters keep coming and going, so each dungeon feels substantially different from the previous one in terms of the arsenal of attack powers, spells, and special abilities available to tackle it with. It's easy to criticize the "everybody sacrifices themselves to save the party" overuse, or the very limited control the player has over character development, but the result works great in this game, and is a nice contrast to games where your party is established early on, and only changes through the gradual acquisition of new powers.
After slogging through FFXII, and recently stalling on FFX (though I'm sure I'll finish it soon), I'm really enjoying the old-school RPG elements and the "new" twists that FFIV brought, even if some of it seems trite now. I was watching a trailer for Dragon Quest V today, and I was excited by how the parties seemed to be shifting a lot, as it reminded me of this.

I'm also chipping away at Okami on the Wii when I have time actually play games at home, and that's a lot of fun so far, but my only complaint is that the attack control seems stiff with the remote flick, and I wonder how combat flowed with button presses. Zelda TP seemed a lot smoother with the same setup.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain142 View Post
I wonder how combat flowed with button presses.
There may have been slightly more strategy to it that I never got but, basically, "mash X until enemy dies".

Except for the bits where you have to dodge or use brush techniques, of course.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:33 PM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
There may have been slightly more strategy to it that I never got but, basically, "mash X until enemy dies".

Except for the bits where you have to dodge or use brush techniques, of course.
I feel like with the Wii version I only get one attack for every three or four remote swings. I get that there is some sort of rhythm to it, but I've not figured it out.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Trying to do a lightning playthrough of SRT: W on no$gba with cheats so I can make sure the game or emulator isn't going to throw me any curves when I do the LP later, and so I can have a clear save to open up the shop and a few mission changes and such.

I like W, since it's a fair bit harder and more coherent plotwise than J, but man, do the Nadesico and Nadesico Movie units suck (Movie units moreso. So what, PoD Akito doesn't get to use Boson Jumping? WTH?). Also: Voltron/Golion!
Old 08-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Shares?

Resistance has its flaws but I'd say it's closer to being a sequel to Doom 2 than Doom 3 was. Think about it.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Especially Angry

I love Bionic Commando:Rearmed.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:31 PM
zombie

Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction is pretty damn fun.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl is also pretty damn fun.

I've been on a kick for games that are nonlinear that involves military based themes.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Shares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliam View Post
Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction is pretty damn fun.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl is also pretty damn fun.

I've been on a kick for games that are nonlinear that involves military based themes.
If you ever get a 360, I recommend The Outfit. It's like Mercenaries set in WW2. On demand flame throwing tanks and such.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:33 PM
flort

Played through Advance Wars. After spending countless hours with AW2, it was weird to play the first one with its goofier graphics, but the gameplay's still great.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Curious Young Gent

Space Invaders Extreme is a pretty neat diversion.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:35 PM

Playing Pokemon Blue - I forgot how good these games were before they got ridiculously dense.

Also replaying Shiren the Wanderer, just because I like pain.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:11 AM

Over Horizon (NES)

If you like shmups, this is definitely a game for you. Cool graphics, good music, no slowdown so far, nearly no flickering, and as of yet (2 stages in) no repetition.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Banned

I've been digging back into Shiren and still sucking at it. Can't get more than a few floors into Table Mountain. I guess it's absolutely necessary to grind out a good weapon? On my last run, with a +1 Katana, I was burning through items at a prodigious rate.

No More Heroes is turning out to be really great.

Watching my wife play Soul Calibur Legends is high-larity!
Old 08-17-2008, 10:14 PM
Shares?

I started playing Zack & Wiki tonight and I like it. It and Lost Planet need to have a baby and call it Mega Man Legends 3 ASAP.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:38 PM
stream monster

I got back into MGO, keep wondering why I put it down.

I tried to play Nocturne but this being the 3rd SMT game in a row I decided to play something instead
Old 08-18-2008, 02:39 PM

Radia Senki (NES)

Oh my god!

Play this awesome game!

Side Note: I didn't remember the game had an article on GameSpite.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:29 PM
I am being eaten?

In Silent Hill Origins, I finished the hospital puzzles without any help. With SH games, this is a very big deal.

Tags
everything is awesome , fear of new threads , good games , just make a new thread , making threads is better , repulsive positivity