The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Final Fantasy VI Advance: The Dragon's Den is pure gravy for experienced FF6 players. I love how the Dragon battles require actual strategy other than "buff yourself and whale on the enemy."
I love that too. It certainly makes them more of a challenge than, say, Kefka. For maximum fun, do what I did and kill as many of the dragons as you can with solo Mog. If you deck him out properly he's basically unstoppable, and beating the dragons with just one character lets you really show the game who's boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
Pokemon Diamond: All that grinding I did for the Pokemon League really paid off in the post-game. There's just so much more for me to do now with the Sinnoh region completely opened up; I am continually impressed with the longevity of this game.

I've caught nearly all of the non-event Legendaries. GIRATINA, you're next!
I just finished Mt. Coronet and caught Dialga today. It only took one Ice Beam and three Ultra Balls, which seemed pretty good to me.

The amount of post-game content in Diamond/Pearl is really amazing, and I'm excited to finish up the game so I can get to it. I may even build up a real team for the Battle Tower, as I've been pounding my way through the game with just my Empoleon so far (with a Bronzor/Bronzong backup for double battles). I've never done any real pokemon raising before, with breeding and EV training and whatnot. Maybe I'll do it this time.

There's a lot of stuff I like about the game, really. The regional pokemon are great (Drifloon? HELL YEAH), most of the gyms and gym leaders are memorable, there's a lot to do, and the Poketch is really useful. I especially appreciate the Dowsing Machine, which adds a measure of thought to the process of locating hidden items (which there are a ton of, as always). I like my Empoleon, and the fact that his Water/Steel type pairing gives him eleven resistances and one immunity. Overall I have a lot more positive things to say about this game than negative ones!
Old 08-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Hawkguy

I like that I can now play games in the world of Ravenloft through Neverwinter Nights.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:57 PM
What Time Is It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I really like the philosophy of letting you go anywhere you want, and you can be guaranteed there will be something interesting happening there. It's not as dynamic as Oblivion, but probably deeper.
My friends and I used cheats all the time in Morrowind to follow that philosophy. Once on a cold winter's day we went around killing everyone we across and stealing their pants. We did this for at least a good hour or hour and a half. We'd also make our jumps ridiculously powerful (sometimes to get across the map faster) but other times we'd go to far and half to leave the room for 10-15 minutes since we'd jumped so stupid high. If it didn't crash the game, that is.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:26 PM
To the Max

That's what I loved about the freedom aspect of Morrowind: the game wasn't afraid to let you fuck yourself over. Hell, before completeing the first quest, you could lockpick Vivec's throne room and kill the man-god, thus screwing up the entire flow of the game. Awesomeness.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
it is.
They called in a favor with a demon prince to get the animation that smooth.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraymonds View Post
I like that I can now play games in the world of Ravenloft through Neverwinter Nights.
Wha?

Details, please! This may be enough to make me get Neverwinter Nights.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Come, noble knights!

Final Fantasy IV (DS) ~ Augment-acquiring gripes aside, I've really enjoyed this remake. The 3D visuals look excellent (for DS standards), the arranged music fits the visual style well, and the changes in enemy tactics have made things a whole lot more interesting. I also loved the little details, like when I found out that the character models in menus were actually the 3D models and not 2D cutouts of 3D models when I touched Cecil with the stylus.....and rotated him.

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker ~ Much like Dragon Quest Monsters before it, this game's enough like Dragon Quest for me that it'll suit my DQ cravings until the handheld remakes come along.....actually maybe too much in this case. I just love seeing many of my favorite monsters in cel-shaded 3D. It's tempting me into investing in another PS2 to play Dragon Quest VIII.

Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer ~ What can I say? It's Shiren! I'd played a couple of Mystery Dungeon roguelikes before it (Torneko: The Last Hope and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team), but this one gave me a whole new respect for the genre. Even though the kid kept getting his ass beaten down and sent back to square one with nothing but what he had saved in storage spaces, the interactions from the people around him changed along with the dungeon layouts.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:18 PM
worse than last time

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES: Deep Breath Deep Breath, and the vacation circumstance in which it plays. So fun. ^.^
Old 08-09-2008, 11:54 PM
and ermine, too

Braid: Maybe I just have weird friends, but I gathered some in a room and told them to play, and it became the ultimate party game. Everyone was laughing at weak platformer skills, shouting solutions to puzzles, and talking about how cool the game was. Seriously, if you have nerdy friends, bring them over for a tupperware party. A tupperbraid party.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:37 AM
There's no thread shortag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Yeah but... it is.
Seriously?!

I mean, the animation of the mech is tops, but the color scheme used and the mish-mash of colors in each stage, especially the backgrounds, makes me wish the NES could have used more than 8 colors on-screen.

If that had been the case I think the developers would have made much better coloring choices.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:53 AM
Curious Young Gent

Wild Arms 3 - it's like Cowboy Skies of Arcadia.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:30 AM
Hawkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Wha?

Details, please! This may be enough to make me get Neverwinter Nights.
They're fan-made modules that you load up in NWN. There's not too many of them, but what's available ain't too bad.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:00 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by willm137 View Post
I remember hearing recently that someone created an Oblivion mod that lets you import all of the Morrowind files, allowing you to play Morrowind with all of Oblivion's features/graphics/etc. It sounded really amazing.
It imports the areas and characters, but no quests or anything yet. You can just wander around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willm137 View Post
That's what I loved about the freedom aspect of Morrowind: the game wasn't afraid to let you fuck yourself over. Hell, before completeing the first quest, you could lockpick Vivec's throne room and kill the man-god, thus screwing up the entire flow of the game. Awesomeness.
Since killing another member of a guild gets you kicked out, killing a Blade after you joined would pretty much just end the main quest, wouldn't it?
Old 08-10-2008, 07:26 AM
Oy To The World

I am playing Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence for the first time. It's also my first Metal Gear game. The gameplay is a lot of fun even if I am not particularly effective at CQC. I have really enjoyed the campiness of the plot (complete with that great Bond-style opening) with an occasional view into Kojima's mind via the codec conversations (specifically Para-Medic, Eva, and The Boss). I just finished up the torture room scene and am trying to get out of the prison. I hope the game holds up to the end.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:37 AM
There's no thread shortag

Nightshade (NES)

I really like the humour so far. The game is full with little quips and sarcastic remarks. Also, it looks like this is a really good adventure game.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:38 AM
and ermine, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by danowar View Post
Nightshade (NES)

I really like the humour so far. The game is full with little quips and sarcastic remarks. Also, it looks like this is a really good adventure game.
I originally played Nightshade after my parents bought a conversion van from another family, and this cart was in the storage compartment. It was awesome!
Old 08-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Kerberos Panzer Corps

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
It's cool that there are actual JRPGs that try to do something new, and it really does, and avoids almost all classical sterotypes and clichés. The Press Turn system makes the fights more puzzle-y than regular RPGs where you just bruteforce your way through them, and demon fusing to get more powerful (and cooler-looking) allies is very rewarding.

My gripes can be found in the official Nocturne thread. :P
Old 08-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Crazy Old Bird

The World Ends With You
Thank you, Square Enix, for making a game in which I control two characters on separate screens simultaneously. That's all I've ever wanted since the DS was announced.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:41 PM
#deadfish2017

Raw Danger
For such a low budget game with such a bad translation ("See that other waitress?" a friend asks near the beginning of the game, "I hear her dad is rich. You should got hit on her. You could be a rich too.") Raw Danger is amazingly fun, impressive, and engrossing. Two hours with it last night left me with nightmares. Highly recommended!
Old 08-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Fun Club Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Raw Danger
For such a low budget game with such a bad translation ("See that other waitress?" a friend asks near the beginning of the game, "I hear her dad is rich. You should got hit on her. You could be a rich too.") Raw Danger is amazingly fun, impressive, and engrossing. Two hours with it last night left me with nightmares. Highly recommended!
Isn't that the one where you die if you fall in water? Or am I thinking of something else?
Old 08-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Loves to overthink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_snake18 View Post
Isn't that the one where you die if you fall in water? Or am I thinking of something else?
Nah, I'm pretty sure you can swim around so long as there isn't a vicious current or other hazard. Shinobi has you die if water raises up to your waist though, you just plummet down like he melted or something!
Old 08-10-2008, 02:13 PM
To the Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Since killing another member of a guild gets you kicked out, killing a Blade after you joined would pretty much just end the main quest, wouldn't it?
I think you can beat the main quest without technically joining the Blades. It's more of an optional thing that just gives you access to extra supplies. Oblivion seems to go out of its way to make sure you don't screw yourself over, since any "critical" NPC cannot be killed, but only knocked unconscious.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:31 PM
#deadfish2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusis View Post
Nah, I'm pretty sure you can swim around so long as there isn't a vicious current or other hazzard.
Right. Rather the game keeps track of your body tempature and water or wet clothes lower it. Stay too cold too long and whoops! Hypothermia! Then you die.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:39 PM
TARANTUL

Guys, Halp!

My girl decided to finally give WoW a try so I reactivated my account and rolled up a rogue... and I'm enjoying it far too much. Aside from some minor gripes about people wanting to bring level 70s into level 15 dungeons because they're week stupid babies who can't do anything for themselves I'm really enjoying it.

Which may not be so good, as I've burnt away years and years of my life with everything from old text based MUDs to Everquest to FFXI...
Old 08-10-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Which may not be so good, as I've burnt away years and years of my life with everything from old text based MUDs to Everquest to FFXI...
So introduce her to a less addicting game
Old 08-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Curious Young Gent

Man, I hear you. I swore off WoW about half a year before Burning Crusade, and other than a brief sojourn into TBC a few months into release to see what the fuss was about (I levelled a Blood Elf rather than touching Outland) before giving up again, I've been clean.
Then this summer all my mates got into it again, and I was dragged along. I haven't played it in the last 3 days because I was literally spending all hours of the day on it, which is bad. I'd like to swear off it completely, but my mates are all having fun and stuff, so the peer pressure's pretty dire.

But then, my brother always played WoW reasonably and never really fell into the whole timesink abyss, despite managing to get to 60 (pre-TBC) and doing a raid or two. So I guess if you can keep it under control (only playing when your girl is on, f'rinstance) it shouldn't become too much of a life-burner. Unless she gets bitten by the bug, of course.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Loves to overthink.

You don't exactly PLAY this, but...

Xbox Invite System - If someone playing an XBLA game invites you but you don't have it, it gives you the choice to download right then and there then join. It's a nice feature to have even though I don't think I'll get Ticket to Ride, at least not for awhile.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Renegade Game Councelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pombar View Post
Wild Arms 3 - it's like Cowboy Skies of Arcadia.
I liked Wild Arms 3 enough that I keep hoping that the new games in the series will be remotely as good - which they haven't been, at all.

I think my favorite thing about WA3 (apart from the soundtrack) is that it did the best job with the "wild west" setting out of all the games in the series. Seriously, at least a couple of them aren't western AT ALL (WA4 and basically XF, I'm looking at you).
Old 08-10-2008, 11:07 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Well, 4 is probably second weakest of the WA games in general, with the remake of 1 being the worst. I liked 3 a lot, but the first two games are probably my favorites, even with 2's lulwhut translation. XF is a really nice change for the SRPG genre though, and I dug it enough to ignore the near total lack of Wild West imagery.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Curious Young Gent

I loved Wild Arms 3 back in the day (also that the story continues for a while after the 'ending'), but sold it in a fit of madness or something. Finally found it again in a store for a fiver, so picked it up post-haste. I always found the grid-based movement a bit odd and sometimes jarring - same with the dashing - but besides that it's a solid RPG with enough old school mechanics to keep me satisfied and tweaks to keep me interested.

Tags
everything is awesome , fear of new threads , good games , just make a new thread , making threads is better , repulsive positivity