The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Shares?

Default Gripe about what you're playing

I'm currently juggling 5 games: MGS4, Resistance, Etrian Odyssey, CV: Potrait of Ruin and Earth Defense Force 2017. Guess which one I'm not going to gripe about...

MGS4- I'm in Act IV and at this point I'm skipping the cutscenes. They all seem to fall into 3 distinct categories:
1. Metal Gear Powerpoint (Put this in the MG encyclopedia, not the game plz)
2. Metal Gear soap opera (Wow, do people really get into this?)
3. Action wankery (Let's show how awesome Raiden can really be!)
This would be a really great game if Kojima just edited down the cutscenes and moved more of the exposition into the parts of the game where you're actually holding the controller and not passing time on your DS.

Resistance- Loading time sucks and the cutscenes are laughably sterile and uninteresting. You could mad-lib them, "No one knew Hale would _______ that day. We didn't know until later that he _______ the Chimera and _______ all of humanity."

Etrian- Nothing really changes gameplay-wise after, I dunno, stratum 3. From there on out you're basically just maxxing your skill points which only affects the game from a numeric standpoint. "Neat! my ice spell does 10 damage instead of 3. I can't wait to see what level 4 brings me!" Another thing is the quests. I guess the point of doing quests was to break up the monotony of traversing the dungeon but you can't break up monotony with more monotony. I'm looking at you "Spend x days on floor x" quest.

CV: PoR- I'm giving this game a 4th chance and I like it a little better this time. My gripe here is with the quests, same issue as Etrian. They are totally monotonous and grindy. Killing an enemy until you get his rare drop or mastering a weapon is not fun. Oh yeah, and don't sell any of your crappy useless equipment because you'll need it for a quest later and there's no way to get it back if you sell it, brilliant design.

EDF 2017- By no means a perfect game but it definitely took everything that is not fun about these kinds of games and tossed it out. Ammo is unlimited, enemies are plenty, no penalty for totally leveling the city and the story is barebones enough to be cohesive without overtaking the gameplay. It's also refreshing to play a game that doesn't take itself too seriously. All the dialogue is very cheesy and over-the-top and fits the game perfect.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Thanatos feeding time

Oh man.

Final Fantasy IV DS. Moves half as quickly as the original and is twice as hard, both of which are severely cutting into my enjoyment. I'd rather be playing the Advance version.

Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Army of Darkness (or something). Hey Atlus, if you're going to make an action game, how about some hit detection?

Etrian Odyssey (both). You're right, it's just basically a skill grind. I'm on B14F in the first one and have barely booted up the second, and I've lost all desire to play them. They're not bad games at all, but the senseless repetition is breaking my spirit far more than the difficulty is.

Geometry Wars 2. Only aggravating because I can't stop playing it.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:03 PM

I solve this by not playing things I have gripes about! I am happier for it in the end.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Space dad

FFTA2 — I really like this one and feel like it improves a lot on the original, but some of these laws are just fuckin' annoying. And it takes a long time to train in new jobs when the most common way to get new weapons is to trade in random loot for the privelege of buying them.

Settlers of Catan — I suck at this game and lose all the time. But I play it anyway because it's great.

Twilight Imperium and Arkham Horror — I got them for my birthday and no one will play with me even though I've spent a bunch of time learning the rules and sorting the pieces into little baggies. I may have to foist a board game night upon some people soon.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:05 PM
Panicking

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones: It's taking me forever to make any progress because I'm really picky about getting good level ups, so I'll get a ton of good ones on a particular mission but then I recklessly get a character killed so I have to start over I still love it, though!

Pokemon Gold: Goddamn you, Let's Play, stop making me want to play old games when I have a huge backlog of new ones!

Wow, is that really all I've been playing lately? Dang.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:08 PM
and ermine, too

Soul Calibur 4 - Playing online is not good for my blood pressure. I swear I could punish those crappy button mashing whiffs if it weren't for the 10ms latency! I can't dodge anything Cervantes does. Aaaaaaaa. Must practice more.

Mega Man 3 - I don't even bother with the Wiley stages, I just do the Doc Robot levels and call it quits over and over. I did them once and that was enough.

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter - I used my friend's memory card for my save, and now I can't transfer it. Come on, at least let me move it around if I delete it from the first card.

Braid - I'm at work, and I can't play my 360 at work.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:10 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Soul Calibur IV. Seriously, Namco? Why did you make Raphael worse? I had a hard enough time winning with him in SCIII, and you went and made him even worse. Even worse than terrible. I want to play as him so bad, but you're making it damn hard for me. And why did you make Siegfried slower? You took all of my short range options completely off the table. Thanks a lot, assholes.

Metal Gear Solid 4. I'm finally getting around to a second playthrough. I knew the writing was bad my first time through, but man...it didn't really sink in until this time. The dialogue in this game is atrocious. I'm really starting to appreciate the finer details in the game though. During the briefing for Act III I just watched Sunny typing on three keyboards the whole time, and the way they mixed her typing animations together was pretty impressive.

Also, Meryl is such a stupid bitch. Why is Meryl so dumb?
Old 08-06-2008, 01:10 PM
punch a fish, make a wish

Rhythm Tengoku Gold - I got all the way to the very end, and the game suddenly decides to make me use the R button for something. I don't have an R button!

this is the one and only gripe I have with this game, though. I'm 100% gay for the rest of it.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:12 PM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
Also, Meryl is such a stupid bitch. Why is Meryl so dumb?
Nanomachines.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:12 PM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

EarthBound: I've played the first few hours of this game many more times than I've played the rest, so it's a bit of a slog for me until I get to Fourside. Did I just call EarthBound a slog? I take it back.

Toki Tori: Worst music of all time, and so fucking loud! Blows my head off every time I click the channel icon. What were they thinking? At least the gameplay is good.

I'm in the middle of a bunch of other games, but I haven't touched them for weeks to months.

Last edited by Ethan; 08-06-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

I'm currently playing Fire Emblem 7 for my LP, Ogre Battle 64 in tandem with Alixsar's LP, the original Super Mario RPG, and Luigi's Adventure, a Super Mario World romhack.

FE7 is probably one of my ten favorite games ever -- it's attuned to my personality in a way few other games are. (A lot of the things other people criticize it for actually draw me to it.) If forced, I'd have to say the randomness of the level ups -- that makes it interesting, but it can also make it frustrating sometimes, if you want to use a character who refuses to cooperate.

Also, playing for an LP is loads different than just playing, obviously. I think it's been a good experience for me, but it definitely changes things.

Ogre Battle 64... so slow. I love the game's systems and its army-building mechanisms, but my god, it's slow. If units walked twice as fast on the maps it probably still wouldn't be fast enough.

Mario RPG... short and easy. Fun, but short and easy. I've also played it more than any other game ever so there are few surprises left.

Luigi's Adventure is nuttily hard. Yeah, yeah, I know, romhack, but I've played other SMW romhacks, and this one tops them all. Absolutely no margin for error. Lots of areas that seem just impossible without copious use of savestates and/or luck. The author has a bad habit of building an annoying setup or obstacle, and just throwing that setup at you over and over, three or four times a level and ten or twelve times a world.

It's got a lot of intriguing concepts and it looks gorgeous (although its graphics are mostly ripped from other games, they hang together well), but man. In-sane.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:13 PM
gatchapon 3*

fuck you, last level of portal.

and fuck you weigraf.

and fuck you, puzzle quest xbla rumble with super shitty resolution.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:39 PM
It's all good, man

Hey Morrowind, thanks for crashing a lot yet not having the autosave I got used to from your sequel.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Your life is forfeit

Dragon Quest IV: So right near the start of Chapter Five, right after Torneko joined my main party, we went into this random battle and he randomly swiped a treasure from an enemy that randomly happened to be like the third most powerful sword for the hero and it was a huge help. But I'm playing on a ROM that I'll have to send back to Square so if I want to finish the game really thoroughly I'll have to start over and there's no way in hell I'll manage to get that lucky steal (since he steals maybe once every 15 battles). Damn you, Torneko!
Old 08-06-2008, 01:41 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
Nanomachines.
Oh right. I forgot.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:50 PM
borgn

Pokemon Pearl: I've got the Grinding Blues. I'm trying to fill out my Dex by evolving all the Pokemon I have, which sucks for a lot of the "hard gainers". It means replaying the Elite Four over and over and OVER... but actually getting the monsters themselves is so addicting I can't stop. I swear, Nintendo beams nicotine rays out from Pokemon games.

Zack & Wiki: I don't like dying. That's it - the ticket system is infuriating, and the longer levels are a bitch to use trial-and-error on.

PixelJunk Eden Demo: I'm still trying to fucking like that game but I simply can't get past the time limit. It ruins it! Completely ruins the experience. I'm sorry, I know a lot of you don't mind it, but it's a total experience killer for me.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:00 PM

Rhythm Tengoku Gold - I LOATHE the stylus controls. It worked awesome for EBA/Ouendan, doesn't work so awesome here. The flicking just isn't cool and really screws up at least a few of the games. It's particularly annoying because the music/levels themselves are almost as good as the GBA game.

Metal Slug 7 - It's not terrible, but after Metal Slug 6 actually being a little bit innovative, this one just falls back into the rut of 4 and 5. So disappointing.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:23 PM

Soul Calibur IV - Goddamn you Namco, you've stolen 35 hours of my life in attempts to complete your fucking honors. I hope you feel bad. What? Your Q1 profits fell? OK, we're even.

Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon
- No complaints, it's just the right amount of goodness I need from a Roguelike. Accept, we does everyone look sunburned?
Old 08-06-2008, 02:35 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmorator View Post
Settlers of Catan — I suck at this game and lose all the time. But I play it anyway because it's great.
My gripe is that I have yet to play this against talking tyrants.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:48 PM
punch a fish, make a wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoalucard View Post
Rhythm Tengoku Gold - I LOATHE the stylus controls. It worked awesome for EBA/Ouendan, doesn't work so awesome here. The flicking just isn't cool and really screws up at least a few of the games. It's particularly annoying because the music/levels themselves are almost as good as the GBA game.
really? I thought the flicking made the game even more fun, once I got used to it.

totally agree on MS7, though.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:51 PM
thank's forgood posteing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pence View Post
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter - I used my friend's memory card for my save, and now I can't transfer it. Come on, at least let me move it around if I delete it from the first card.
Can you load the game on one memory card, then save it on the card you want to copy it to?
Old 08-06-2008, 03:03 PM
Find Your Reason

Final Fantasy Tactics: WotL: I was bitten by the Grinding Bug. I'm in the middle of Chapter 2 (just dropped off Agrias and Ovelia at Lionel) and I'm already overleveled by about 12~15 levels, and even so I want to get Ninjas before I get Agrias back as a permanent PC. Considering I tend to Master jobs before moving onto anything else...

Final Fantasy VI Advance: The Dragon's Den has a very annoying encounter rate. I hate the encounter rate. HATE THE RATE. It's worse when I have to flip back and forth between parties to push switches and leapfrog rocks.

Super Mario Galaxy: I haven't had enough time to play

Final Fantasy XII: I want to play so bad but I have the same problem as with SMG, coupled with the need to grind. Being trounced by the basic enemies in the Waterway (well ahead of my time) and Hellhounds in the jungle (Rare Game showing up when I was trying to advance the plot) didn't help my disposition any.

Smash Bros. Brawl: WHERE IS EVERYONE I SO LONELY ;_;
Old 08-06-2008, 03:14 PM
I say thee neigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by djSyndrome View Post
Oh man.

Final Fantasy IV DS. Moves half as quickly as the original and is twice as hard, both of which are severely cutting into my enjoyment. I'd rather be playing the Advance version.
I am trading mine in after I finish it. Whyyyy is it so goddamn slow? The Black Chocobo flies like it's been taking muscle relaxant-laced gyashl greens

Soul Calibur IV: So wait, I have to unlock create-a-character pieces....and THEN I have to pay to use them? Fuck youuu, Soul peoplei still love you though
Old 08-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Wretched Fellow

And if you want to use the good ones, you have to pay actual money, too. So, yeah, fuck you SCIV.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:30 PM
who's she

I've griped plenty about FFXII already, so I'll just say that the last two things I did were the Pylraster fight and an abortive excursion into the pharos looking for the shadowseer. I find myself wondering so much: Game, are you trying to make me die of boredom?
Old 08-06-2008, 03:33 PM
worse than last time

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES: Whoops, enemy used a spell I'm weak against. Now I get to set down the controller and wait for the game to take five minutes deciding the coin flip of "Game Over, redo the last hour of gameplay" vs. "You get to take a turn!"

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones: What are these chump monsters doing in my Fire Emblem? Seriously, I don't get why the dark days were supposedly so awful when the forces of evil had no stats greater than 5 to oppose humanity with.

Hellgate: London: This would be a decently fun Diablo clone if the UI were comprehensible. What happened to being able to mouse over a weapon and see how much damage it does? Nope, need to open a radial menu, then do mental arithmetic to figure out what the heck 6-7 damage per shot at 400 rounds/minute works out to.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Curious Young Gent

Skies of Arcadia - Airship is too slow, as is the plot. Also argh at having to keep the simultaneously most irritating and most dull character in my party at all times. Grr.

Dino Crisis - How did anyone ever play this game without whining at how abysmal the controls are. Why haven't they made a Resi 4 style update of you and slapped the Jurassic Park label on it.

Rogue Galaxy - Why weren't you called Star Ocean 3 so I could've enjoyed you when you came out instead of buying you for next to nothing because that was all I was willing to risk?

World of Warcraft - God, I hate you. I managed 2 years without you, and I've broken.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:00 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
Dragon Quest IV: So right near the start of Chapter Five, right after Torneko joined my main party, we went into this random battle and he randomly swiped a treasure from an enemy that randomly happened to be like the third most powerful sword for the hero and it was a huge help. But I'm playing on a ROM that I'll have to send back to Square so if I want to finish the game really thoroughly I'll have to start over and there's no way in hell I'll manage to get that lucky steal (since he steals maybe once every 15 battles). Damn you, Torneko!
You know, this would actually be legitimate reason to rip your savestate and keep playing on an R4 or something similar in my book, if that's even possible with review copy ROMs.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:26 PM
stream monster

Persona 3 FES: I just did a little grinding for an hour and I've been cruising through all of Block 5. If you asked me yesterday I would've hated this game so much.

Metal Gear Online: Every time I die I feel like I've been cheated.

Soul Calibur IV: Single Player could've been so much better. It's as if they've been regressing through each sequel in the SP department.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:35 PM
redheads not warheads

World of Warcraft: More fucking constructs in the raid!? We've only had the ghost sim posted in our guild forums for a month now; of course we don't expect people to know how to handle it by now.

Shadow of the Colossus: I'm glad you guys posted the SotC topic. It convinced me to play this again and beat it this time. I only did the first few Colossi my first play and I have no idea why I stopped; this game is amazing.

Etrian Odyssey: I haven't felt my exploration/rpg OCD for the past few weeks, so I haven't played this for the past few weeks.

Tags
a whiner is you , every game is good , fer me to poop on , first world problems , gettin' mad at videogames , literal slap in the face , mm loz castlevania , too bad so sad , waaahhh my video games