The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 05-07-2017, 04:25 AM

Hmm, not yet. I'm just an on-and-off Watch Out for Fireballs listener though, only picking episodes on the games I know. I think the WOFF format is a really great style, it's the killer feature of the show for me. They also cover Gamecube and PS2 games, something which I've hoped Retronauts would cover more often. Last time I caught up with WOFF was with Megaman 2 and 3 though, so I haven't heard about the new changes.

~

I wanted to share The Game Informer Podcast here. It's primarily just a new releases / gaming news show, with both a video version on youtube and a regular audio version. I know this type of podcast sounds so boring and ordinary, but it's a really enjoyable execution of this concept.

The host Ben Hanson does a wonderful job, and they seem to keep it semi-kid friendly by bleeping out any stray curse words. Every episode has perfectly detailed timestamps for every game/topic. Every episode also has a community emails section which, surprisingly, is one of the best parts of the show. (I've listened to some archived episodes containing nothing of interest just to skip to the emails section!) The listener questions are completely open ended and they seem to have cultivated a culture of asking good questions.

Something else about the show: you'll probably notice the episodes are very long. Every episode is basically two episodes of a typical podcast stuck together though. The first half is either a discussion topic or gaming releases, and the second half is either a lengthy developer interview or an episode of an ongoing "game club" (sort of a group Let's Play). I skip the second half unless it sounds like a good interview.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:24 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Anyone else losing interest in Duckfeed.tv podcasts?
Maybe a little? I've never been a BFSC fan, though, so recent events haven't impacted me much. I've only ever really listened to Abject Suffering and WOFF anyway. I've been listening to Monster in my Podcast, but I noticed recently that I'm not really enjoying it as much as when I started, so I'll probably drop that one at least. Abject Suffering is on the bubble. For the moment, I'll keep kicking 'em money, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
I should reflect more often on what in my life is no longer bringing me any value.
This is a good policy! I could stand to cut my Patreon bill; it's gotten really big without me even noticing, $5 at a time. I also recently dropped VGMpire and am much happier for it; I realized that it was never going to be the show that I wanted it to be and I was largely just hate-listening/going on momentum. See also any episode of Retronauts with 2+ LaserTime peeps on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosboot View Post
I'm just an on-and-off Watch Out for Fireballs listener though, only picking episodes on the games I know.
I think this is the only correct way to do it. WOFF's treatment is such a deep dive that I just bounce off if I'm not already familiar with the game they're covering.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:51 AM
Mystery Contraption

Our own Mr. Jbear introduced me to Qwerpline a couple of days ago, and it's done a fine job of supplementing the bits I like about Nightvale. Unfortunately, it's both really short and only has a sporadic update schedule, so it didn't supplement anything for very long (also not a big fan of the random breaks to laugh at their own jokes, but that's a stylistic choice).

So... are there any other good podcasts to fill the Weird Town Local News-shaped hole in my heart?
Old 05-10-2017, 11:05 AM
This Guy

Does anyone know any good TV podcasts? Something like The Watch from The Ringer, only not The Watch because that is the podcast I'm looking to drop.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:07 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
(also not a big fan of the random breaks to laugh at their own jokes, but that's a stylistic choice).
I really like this part of it, actually. It kind of fits because the entire thing is done in a semi-improv fashion.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:42 AM
Mystery Contraption

Started listening to The Thrilling Adventure Hour, and the first few episodes are right up my alley and I intend to continue. One question though; is this the kind of thing where it behooves me to listen to it in order, or am I okay to skip around a bit? Because, while they're mostly a tidy 20-30 minutes, there are a lot of episodes, and they aren't kept in numerical order so it seems really easy to lose my place...
Old 05-13-2017, 05:30 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Started listening to The Thrilling Adventure Hour, and the first few episodes are right up my alley and I intend to continue. One question though; is this the kind of thing where it behooves me to listen to it in order, or am I okay to skip around a bit? Because, while they're mostly a tidy 20-30 minutes, there are a lot of episodes, and they aren't kept in numerical order so it seems really easy to lose my place...
Sparks Nevada is fairly serialized, but in such a way that every episode still stands on it's own. Beyond Belief and the other mostly eschew this and though there are a few recurring characters, they mostly stand on their own.

Also, Paul F. Tompkins and Paget Brewster are super charming as the Doyles. It's like the Thin Man but with ghosts and monsters.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:06 AM
Mystery Contraption

That's exactly what I wanted to hear! Huzzah!
Old 05-13-2017, 08:10 AM
King Of Space-Time

Repost from the late night TV thread:

Why yes, I will take this half a loaf.

Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM
Is there not one thing

Chapo had China Mieville on last week, and has David Cross on this week. Come for the celebs, stay for the caustic rhetoric
Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM
Remembers Love

The Mieville interview was super good. I tossed Perdido Street Station about two thirds through, but I'll probably end up picking up October.

If people are looking for Lefty podcasts that are a bit more anodyne, I've actually really really liked The Dig. Daniel Denvir's style's more in the NPR interviewer continuity, but the caliber of his guests is pretty excellent. If I had to choose an episode to start with, I'd defo go with Mark Blyth's lecture.

Tags
podcast , recommendations , whats up hot dog