The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 05-16-2017, 11:29 AM
Gosh It's Hot!

Clue is another of those games that's been adapted to every property under the sun IIRC.

Regardless, its pick up and play/ fun ratio is almost unmatched. Clue is good stuff.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:02 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

The best version of Clue is the movie version
Old 05-16-2017, 01:39 PM
Internet Wizard Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Oh shit I had one of those books. Wow. I had totally forgotten.

Sheesh.
You better not be abusing my mustard! I expect it to be properly placed in your fridge on Sunday!
Old 05-16-2017, 01:53 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Well yeah.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:00 PM
noble beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Yeah, that's a good 'un. I have to say I a little bummed as a child when in the "true" ending, the heroic secret FBI agent or whatever turned out to be straight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Clue is another of those games that's been adapted to every property under the sun IIRC.

dang
Old 05-16-2017, 04:32 PM
Gosh It's Hot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
What is the deal with using candlesticks as murder weapons?
Old 05-16-2017, 05:39 PM
Safe Space

But where's the Home Improvement version?
Old 05-16-2017, 05:56 PM
Crabjörn

There's no mystery there because it was always Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor with his newest DIY construction mad science.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:33 PM
Natural Born Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
Yeah, that's a good 'un. I have to say I a little bummed as a child when in the "true" ending, the heroic secret FBI agent or whatever turned out to be straight.

You're missing the double fake. Mr. Green IS a homosexual, but he's no out at the FBI, so he has to maintain the illusion in order to keep his job and place in society. Mr. Body had more on him than even the FBI knew. Now THAT's comedy.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:22 PM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
What is the deal with using candlesticks as murder weapons?
Readily handy furnishing that could double as a weapon. Candles were a thing well into the early 20th century and even after electricity took over, folks still would burn candles for special occasions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulgakov View Post
You're missing the double fake. Mr. Green IS a homosexual, but he's no out at the FBI, so he has to maintain the illusion in order to keep his job and place in society. Mr. Body had more on him than even the FBI knew. Now THAT's comedy.
Huh...
Old 05-16-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
How weird is it that the best game to film adaptation is Clue?

I always wanted to try the D&D variation.

See, to me that's just kind of redundant, because regular Clue is already rivaling HeroQuest as one of the best already-on-the-game-shelf sources for D&D props. It even has the 10 foot wide hallways gridded out!

Relatedly, while it's very common to house rule it into a pure card game, and there's some Clue clones that drop the board entirely, I can't possibly be the only one who went the other direction with it and house ruled in a system of combat so when you work out that you're the real killer your objective changes to escaping before everyone else can apprehend you, right?
Old 05-17-2017, 01:12 AM

At some point growing up, my family started using notebook paper instead of those puny little pads and Clue got quite interesting (though roll-and-move was still a pain). I probably would have voted for this if I'd played it in the last decade, just slipped my mind.

No one has commented yet on the property that you have to discover the details of the murder even if you were the murderer. This always sticks in my mind rather badly.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulgakov View Post
Mind. BLOWN!
Old 05-17-2017, 06:07 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFalcon View Post
No one has commented yet on the property that you have to discover the details of the murder even if you were the murderer.
If this happens in the game and you don't present it in some kind of mustache-twirling "Yes! It was me! It was me all along, YOU FOOLS, AND I REGRET NOTHING!" while milking the giant cow then perhaps consider doing that. It helps.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:03 AM
Bertolli?!?...

#15 - Puerto Rico
O Captain! My Captain! Why do you only ship one kind of good?

# of players: 2 - 5

Race for the Galaxy might be the love of my life, but before I met Race, there was Puerto Rico, and you never forget your first.

I first encountered Puerto Rico back in university, when it was brand new and taking the hobby by storm. I'm pretty sure that it was my first encounter with German board games, and what a great introduction! It's colourful, and complicated, but, aside from a few fiddly bits, the rules are actually rather simple, and it has what were, at the time, some very novel mechanics. I don’t know if Puerto Rico pioneered the phase choice mechanic that I detailed in the Race for the Galaxy entry, but I think it was the first/most popular implementation of it (if someone knows more, please jump in!), and the world is better for it. 15 years after its release, Puerto Rico still stands as one of the hobby's most popular and well-respected games, and it deserves it!

In Puerto Rico, players act as governors of the growing colony of Puerto Rico. They build out the city of San Juan (each building grants different powers), plant various crops, and sell or ship those goods once they're grown for money and points. They do this by selecting one of several different role cards each turn, such as Builder, or Trader. Everyone at the table gets to execute each role chosen that turn, but the player that chose it gets a special perk, and the rest of the players act clockwise from the player that selected it, possibly locking them out of what they'd like to do if they're acting late/last. Play continues in this fashion until one of several different end-game conditions are met, at which point the player with the most victory points is the winner!

If that all sounds familiar, it's because I already described something pretty similar in the Race for the Galaxy entry. As I said then, they have a great deal in common. The critical difference here is that the phase order is variable, and that actions during a phase are executed in order instead of simultaneously. This means that seating position is very important, and that much of the strategy involves predicting who will choose what phase and when, as acting early in a phase is very important. If you act late, you might find that the trading house has no room for your goods, or that all of the ships are dedicated to different crops than what you have! Also like Race, there are different routes to victory, and different end-game conditions that you can trigger by pursuing those different strategies, whether that be completely filling your city, exhausting the VP pile, or running out of colonists.

I haven't mentioned the colonists yet, have I? Yeah... there's a reason for that. This interpretation is very much not supported by the rules or flavour, but, well, this is a game about brown tokens coming in on ships and then being assigned to work on plantations. The game can call them "colonists" all it wants, but it's not fooling anyone, and I don't know that wallpapering over that makes it any better? Using abhorrent real-world events as board game topics/mechanics is sort of an on-going debate in the hobby (I mean, it's endemic to the very idea of wargaming), and there are a lot of shitty people in this hobby who like to loudly dismiss those concerns. That argument is pretty far outside the scope of this thread, but I'll just say that this is a game that could be construed to include slavery as a mechanic, and it is completely understandable if anyone wants to immediately dismiss it on that basis. Lord knows that I've just talked myself into being pretty uncomfortable endorsing it.

I still have a great deal of fondness for Puerto Rico, but I honestly don't play it much anymore. It's still great, but it's hard to get excited about it. If it hits the table at all these days, it's probably because I want to hear Johnny Unusual do his prospector voice/dance! Johnny... does a pretty great prospector. It sends me into a giggle fit every time.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:07 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I haven't mentioned the colonists yet, have I? Yeah... there's a reason for that. This interpretation is very much not supported by the rules or flavour, but, well, this is a game about brown tokens coming in on ships and then being assigned to work on plantations. The game can call them "colonists" all it wants, but it's not fooling anyone, and I don't know that wallpapering over that makes it any better?
Speak for yourself. I always ensured that my colonists were paid a fair wage.

I'm not getting today's photo. Is this some kind of meta-humor?
Old 05-17-2017, 09:10 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
I'm not getting today's photo. Is this some kind of meta-humor?
It's yesterday's photo, only with the Clue-inspired murder suspects replaced with Puerto Rico goods. [EDIT: Look closer] You're over-thinking it. Johnny and I are aiming to make these jokes so dumb that only he and I laugh at them.

Last edited by JBear; 05-17-2017 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Added spoiler tag
Old 05-17-2017, 09:17 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Oh! I just figured you had forgotten to change the image URL
Old 05-17-2017, 09:26 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Oh! Well then, I guess you were under-thinking it. Clearly Johnny and I need to aim lower. There's a bottom here, and we'll find it!

ETA: I guess I should have just said "look closer" instead of spoiling it outright, then. Oh well!

Last edited by JBear; 05-17-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:41 AM
LET'S ATTACK AGGRESSIVELY

Puerto Rico is another famous Euro I haven't played.

I do know of another popular board game that had a slave mechanic that was later changed so it was less needlessly callous. But we might see it on the list yet, so I'll talk about it then, maybe.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:58 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
It's yesterday's photo, only with the Clue-inspired murder suspects replaced with Puerto Rico goods. [EDIT: Look closer] You're over-thinking it. Johnny and I are aiming to make these jokes so dumb that only he and I laugh at them.
I laughed at it.

YOU'VE MISSED. MISSED HORRIBLY.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:06 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Quote:

In Puerto Rico, players act as governors of the growing colony of Puerto Rico. They build out the city of San Juan (each building grants different powers), plant various crops, and sell or ship those goods once they're grown for money and points.
Here, let this video explain...

Old 05-17-2017, 10:50 AM
is Earnest

Hey, I just played Puerto Rico for the first time a few weeks ago. I had no idea what I was doing until about halfway through the game, and by then it was way too late to catch up. I'm sure I'll give it another shot sometime.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:53 AM
LET'S ATTACK AGGRESSIVELY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I had no idea what I was doing until about halfway through the game, and by then it was way too late to catch up.
9/10 Euro games go like this for me the first time around. When I want to go back and play again with what I learned, that's usually a sign that it's a keeper.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:59 AM
TARANTUL

I need to give Puerto Rico a try, because for some reason (not the symbols) I just bounce off Race for the Galaxy.

There has to be a game of that type I like.

Right?
Old 05-17-2017, 12:47 PM
-ryn

this also looks like a game I would enjoy, but I've never played it.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:56 PM
Natural Born Critic

Today was the best photo.

Puerto Rico is an ur-game at this point; its mechanics and style have been aped so much in the hobby that it's almost a prerequisite to play it. That way you can just shorthand entire rules explanations by saying "Ok, it's like Puerto Rico except..."
Old 05-17-2017, 12:59 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

I own it but have never played it.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:15 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Puerto Rico was #1 on BGG for a very, very long time before Agricola dethroned it. These days, it's sitting at #12, and if we're being honest, that's probably more for its historical value -- other games have taken what Puerto Rico did well and done it better. The same could be said for Catan or Dominion (both of which will undoubtedly appear on this list, so click at your peril), but even if they're granddaddies at this point, they're still excellent games in their own right. I didn't vote for Puerto Rico, and I haven't played my copy in years, but I sure do respect it.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:17 PM
TARANTUL

I will have things to say in response to that when we reach redacted!!

Tags
bertolli , classy jbear pics , falselogic ruins #1 , game pieces don't talk , olive oil , tabletop games , top 50 , top 50 countdown , wake up meeple!