The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 05-19-2017, 09:05 AM
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
This is out. Impressions:
  • They finally made one with better animations than the GBA games
  • The completely different inventory system and the emphasis on smaller skirmishes and dungeons almost gives it a feel of being more like an RPG than a strategy game
  • The combination of unlimited supports, few eligible pairs, and no support rank S means that you can finally just enjoy support conversations without stressing about them, a model I hope they carry forward
  • I forgot this game was fully voice-acted
  • Damn that's some good character design happening here
  • It's also cool that everybody has terrible growth rates, honestly
hnnnnnnnnnnnng

must buy but I am soooooo busy

I am too excited by these things
Old 05-19-2017, 10:23 AM
For blood and gold

I still haven't finished up Fates (Conquest), but now I want to buy this.

Patience.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:00 AM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
Ah, I see! Thanks.

It looks like there aren't any stat boosts applied to supports anymore either. Is that right? Because if it is then it really is stress free, and beautiful!
There are bonuses, but they're small ones like old times. I think it's only accuracy, evasion, crit rate stuff. No Dual Attack shenanigans. And because there's no opportunity cost, it's fine. Bonuses apply within two or three spaces and the requirements for gaining support points are also lenient, rather than requiring adjacency.

The support between Faye and Alm tactually reduces some of Faye's stats when they're in support range, to balance the fact that it provides comparatively very large ones to others.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:03 PM
meaningless [C]ode

Should I promote my villagers ASAP or should I let them grow a bit before changing classes?
Old 05-19-2017, 09:11 PM
oh my car

Unlike every other Fire Emblem game, it's almost always in your best interest to promote everybody ASAP, because of the way promotion bonuses work, and because you're pretty much not gonna reach the level cap.

Here is how promotion bonuses work: there are no promotion bonuses. Instead, each class has minimum stats, and if, when you promote, any of your stats are below the minimum, it'll be raised to that level.

Additionally, the EXP curve makes it so that being level 1 in a promoted class is a bit more advantageous than being in the promotion range in the class below, and you're very unlikely to come anywhere near the level cap.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:15 PM
oh my car

Also: those stat-boosting fountains you find in dungeons sometimes? You can use them a total of three times. That's three times between the two, not three times each.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:47 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

Jesus Christ, Zofia Seaway 2 is one hell of a difficulty spike.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:30 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
Unlike every other Fire Emblem game, it's almost always in your best interest to promote everybody ASAP, because of the way promotion bonuses work, and because you're pretty much not gonna reach the level cap.

Here is how promotion bonuses work: there are no promotion bonuses. Instead, each class has minimum stats, and if, when you promote, any of your stats are below the minimum, it'll be raised to that level.

Additionally, the EXP curve makes it so that being level 1 in a promoted class is a bit more advantageous than being in the promotion range in the class below, and you're very unlikely to come anywhere near the level cap.
Between this and the lack of weapon triangles and team-ups, I must unlearn all I have learned.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:52 AM

I have it and I love how simple and straightforward everything is. They cut out the needless complexities and what's left is just right. The character art is also very nice so far, and it's funny how much better the voice acting is for this game than for the higher profile Breath of the Wild.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:41 AM
Mystery Contraption

What do Amiibos add to the game? I'm assuming only Fire Emblem ones are usable, and the only one of those I have is Lucina.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:52 AM
this is fake news

Early impressions

- Alm is real dumb
- I like how all the male villagers at least have a little bit shoulder armor but Faye's just in a country gal getup. Protection? Girls don't need protection. Armor's for wusses boys. Shoulder padding just clashes with her wardrobe.
- like how the combat animations are faster like in Awakening. The things were so damn slow I turned them off
- terrain effects seem to be an even bigger deal. Mycen's attacks kept whiffing when trying to go for enemy soldiers standing on a grave
- multiple battles/maps per chapter what?!
- characters standing diagonally from a character executing an attack gain support points too?!
- what the frick are provisions and how are they different from items?
- I like the little summary screen at the of each battle showing how many enemies each character killed. Not sure what the smiley faces mean but I haven't gotten a frowney face yet so I guess that's good.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:12 AM
meaningless [C]ode

Quote:
Originally Posted by tungwene View Post
Early impressions

- I like the little summary screen at the of each battle showing how many enemies each character killed. Not sure what the smiley faces mean but I haven't gotten a frowney face yet so I guess that's good.
The smiley faces indicate a characters fatigue level. In dungeons, characters get tired after multiple battles and temporarily have less max HP. Eating food or offering provisions to a Mila statue will cure fatigue. Characters don't get fatigued outside of dungeons, so don't worry about it then.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
What do Amiibos add to the game? I'm assuming only Fire Emblem ones are usable, and the only one of those I have is Lucina.
Summons a temporary hero, in your case Lucina, at a 10 hp cost.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:40 AM
this is fake news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno500 View Post
The smiley faces indicate a characters fatigue level. In dungeons, characters get tired after multiple battles and temporarily have less max HP. Eating food or offering provisions to a Mila statue will cure fatigue. Characters don't get fatigued outside of dungeons, so don't worry about it then.
Yup just got to that tutorial in the game. I guess that's why everyone looks happy or extremely happy when I was on the overworld map.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:11 AM

lmao my Alm doesn't get stats when he levels up but Tobin has gotten 3-4 points each level, which is crazy for this game. He has like 14 attack and can hit 5 squares away. Bird, as he was known as in the translation patch of the OG Gaiden I played long ago, is the new protagonist.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:21 AM
Half-Ninja

Y'know, I know that a lot of this game is a tad archaic (being an update of an NES game) but I think this game might be better than Fates.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:38 AM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Once you have Mila's Turnwheel, you can scan an amiibo with it to activate the ability to use amiibos in battle.

Alm and Celica can use their turn to spend 10 HP to scan an amiibo and summon a spooky ally character to the battlefield. Fire Emblem amiibos get you that character; other amiibos get you a rando.

The amiibo characters have good fixed stats. They're green units, outside of your control. They'll do whatever they want for one turn and then vanish.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:55 PM

At this point I think someone who owns the game should take the mantle and create a post-launch thread.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:44 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

We don't need multiple threads on the same subject. It's not like there's any more pre-launch news to put in this one.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:45 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
I still haven't played Fates, but now I want to buy this.

Patience.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:48 PM

Yay, I got the Amiibos today!
Old 05-20-2017, 08:22 PM

Tobin and Gray are the coolest characters in the series

10/10 the boyz
Old 05-20-2017, 08:34 PM
World of Darkness Returns

I kind of...don't like it so far? Seems like there's a lot more stuff between the fights in this one, which is not what I come to FE for.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
I kind of...don't like it so far? Seems like there's a lot more stuff between the fights in this one, which is not what I come to FE for.
Yes but...

Tobin

and

Gray
Old 05-20-2017, 09:10 PM
meaningless [C]ode

Finished Act 1. Thoughts so far-

It's still early in the game, but I am a little concerned that the map/scenario design feels kinda simple and generic so far. Early parts of FE games rarely have great missions, but I would like to see something more interesting soon.

That said, I do appreciate the more basic approach to battle compared to Awakening/Fates. Dual Attacks and Pair Up turned me off, so it's nice to have something more simple.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:15 PM
oh my car

I have bad news about the map design.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:17 PM
hi there

so how much of this game is Actually New as opposed to just a paint job?
Old 05-20-2017, 09:22 PM
oh my car

Several characters are newly added, and the original game had something like fifty lines of script total. The support system, forging system, and Mila's Turnwheel are all new, as obviously are the DLC and amiibo stuff. Pretty sure bonus EXP is newly added, which suggests also that there was some pretty substantial rebalancing overall. But the bulk of it is the same.

Last edited by Bongo Bill; 05-20-2017 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanto View Post
We don't need multiple threads on the same subject. It's not like there's any more pre-launch news to put in this one.
I disagree. Having new threads upon launch has happened with plenty of other threads, and it absolutely worked out fine. In any case, the topic of this thread was chosen by me to be a limited one that is now irrelevant. If someone wants to create a new thread then we will quote/link the posts made here as needed. It's not a problem.

More to the point: I want people to be less gun shy about pulling the thread trigger. I made the topic of this thread's conversation because I wanted to discuss new Fire Emblem details being reported. I didn't drag my feet over it, I didn't fret over how to compose it or whether I was "wasting" threads. I just fired away. It's now someone else's turn.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:03 AM

No one is worried about wasting threads, or fearful of being yelled at for making one. It is just natural that a prerelease thread evolves into a release thread. Like, it's fine. Good, even!

Anyway, I have been enjoying this game so much I thought I might make my first ever Amiibo purchase the Celica/Alm double pack should it ever go on sale. Fortunately it's completely sold out everywhere so that's unlikely, and my money is safe.

Tags
echoes , fire emblem , nintendo , rpg , shadows of valentia