The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 03-07-2017, 08:23 AM
Video World 14 is out!

Default Amazing, Spectacular, Web Of, & Zoids; Talking About The Spider-Man

Spider-Man, Spider-Man,
Appears in a comic named Spider-Man
It's the comic of your dreams
Depending on the creative team
Dan Slottttttttt
J Michael Straczynski

I like Spider-Man. Do you like Spider-Man? Are you reading Spider-Man at the moment? I am. I have the first four volumes of Worldwide and I think it is a very nice bit of Slott. His run circa Spider-Island got me back into American comics in the first place.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:42 AM
Is there not one thing

Spider-man Loves Mary Jane remains the best spider comic of all time. I'll fight you.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:43 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Spider-Island also got me back into buying comics, but I have not really liked jet-setter millionaire Peter Parker as much as Slott's stuff that came previous to it.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:44 AM
It's all good, man

Spider-Man was my favorite character as a kid, and I read Spectacular in the 90s until it ended. By the end there were constant crossovers and I had no idea what was going on. When I returned to comics years later I got back into it. I've read the main book from the beginning of Brand New Day to the end of Superior, taking a break now as I read other stuff. It seems like Spidey has a tendency towards bad stories, as there are a few that consistently make lists of the worst super hero comics ever. But everything I've read in the modern era has been acceptable at worst, and at best among my favorite super hero stuff.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:42 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Spider-man Loves Mary Jane remains the best spider comic of all time. I'll fight you.
A close second to Roger Stern 80s Spidey for me, but I see and acknowledge the argument. That was insanely great.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:39 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
A close second to Roger Stern 80s Spidey for me, but I see and acknowledge the argument. That was insanely great.
I mostly know Stern from his run on Superman in the 90s, when it kinda turned into Cheers with capes, so I gotta take your word for it.

SMLMJ did the Ultimate Spider-Man modernization thing while pacing itself like an Archie comic, which was a brilliant mix. Little stories, like how Firestar wanting to share secret IDs with Spidey led to a "don't you think we're moving too fast" conversation, showed how much the creative team cared about what they were putting together.

SMLMJ and Marvel Adventures cemented my belief that Marvel comics are at their best when they're written for kids. The intervening years have done nothing to change my mind.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:42 PM
Safe Space

I don't like Dan Slott, but hey, whatever floats your boat.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:19 PM
Is there not one thing

The thing that above all others makes me want to purchase a six foot wide foreman grill and make a visit to Chris Sims' wallow is the old rumor that Val D'Orazio was on the shortlist to take over from McKeever when he drove her from the Internet.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:24 PM
poisonous thread snake

I like Spider-Man. To me, he is the platonic ideal of a superhero. Great costume, great powers, compelling secret identity, a style of implied movement that lends itself well to kinetic cartooning, etc, etc, etc, etc.

I still re-read the Ditko/Lee ones now and then.

Quote:
You've got me curious.

EDIT: Had a look at that art aaaaand... can't do it. Love the idea of Spider Man done by way of Archie though... would love to see a Spider Man story done as a sendup of Dan DeCarlo or something.

Also, how good is that Kate Beaton Spider-Man strip?
Old 03-07-2017, 06:32 PM
Mystery Contraption

I've said before, and I'll say again, that Spider-Island is the result of Dan Slott running around the Marvel Offices pretending to be an airplane while yelling "I write comic boooooooks".

Which is naught but the highest of praise.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:12 PM
Conquers the World

My favorite is Paul Tobin's run on Marvel Adventures Spider-Man, the all-ages reboot that could not give less of a shit about recreating the classic status quo or retreading famous stories. I don't think Harry Osborn or Mary Jane ever even showed up. Peter's girlfriend was a cute mutant girl named Chat who could talk to animals, and Emma Frost was a regular recurring character. One of the reasons the trailer for Spider-man Homecoming hooked me so good was it reminded me of Marvel Adventures' willingness to just do its own thing. I wish it would get a reprint in big-boy sized trades (the downside to Marvel Adventures is that the trades were all supermarket digest-sized)
Old 03-07-2017, 08:43 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
The thing that above all others makes me want to purchase a six foot wide foreman grill and make a visit to Chris Sims' wallow is the old rumor that Val D'Orazio was on the shortlist to take over from McKeever when he drove her from the Internet.
he supposedly lives near me if you are ever free of a weekend. I'm just sayin.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:23 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
I mostly know Stern from his run on Superman in the 90s, when it kinda turned into Cheers with capes, so I gotta take your word for it.
Mailing address now! Will send 80s Avengers (Attack on the Mansion FFS) and Spidey collections.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:11 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Mailing address now! Will send 80s Avengers (Attack on the Mansion FFS) and Spidey collections.
The last thing I need right now is more books I don't have time to read. Let me get back to you in... ten years?
Old 03-10-2017, 09:33 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
The last thing I need right now is more books I don't have time to read. Let me get back to you in... ten years?
Oh, I forgot to mention the part where the mailman will merely staple them to your eyelids.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:05 AM

Spidey is my favourite superhero, but I must confess I've struggled to get into his comics. I've always found them to be rather meandering and unfocused, which is good if one wants a big pile to read, but I generally prefer tighter, contained stories. What would you say are the essential short-ish Spider-Man stories?
Old 03-10-2017, 12:00 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

I'm a bad person to ask in that regard, because to me a big part of the appeal of Spidey is that he's the comics character who moved the medium to a more soap-opera storytelling style in the first place (EG, he's the first major comic character to have a major lasting change to his established status quo, when he graduated high school).

I think that's why people tend to think of Spidey more in terms of runs than most other characters - a writer comes in and they immediately gravitate to the longer-form storytelling almost by default.

(Mind you, The Kid Who Collects Spider Man is way the hell up there for the best single issue of any comic in history, and Nothing Can Stop The Juggernaut probably isn't far behind.)

I've been racking my brain for a few minutes while typing this up, and about the best thing I can come up with is something like The Death of Jean DeWolff (Peter David early 80s Spectacular Spidey) or Kraven's Last Hunt.

I *guess* the best recent bet might be Spider-Man: Blue by Loeb and Sale, although I think it's the least of their Marvel colour miniseries. But, hey, it gave Sale an excuse to draw MJ and Gwen in all their Buscema glory for six issues.

(It didn't help that Spidey's entire 90s output was garbage of the highest order - to the point where the running joke was that either Nightwing or Robin was the best Spider-Man comic on the stands for five or six years straight, depending on your preference for high school or college-age Spidey. He basically sat out the era's miniseries boom.)
Old 03-10-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I'm a bad person to ask in that regard, because to me a big part of the appeal of Spidey is that he's the comics character who moved the medium to a more soap-opera storytelling style in the first place (EG, he's the first major comic character to have a major lasting change to his established status quo, when he graduated high school).
That's actually something I really like about the character, but it's something I appreciate from the sidelines because it doesn't mesh with my reading habits, heh.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:10 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
He basically sat out the era's miniseries boom.
Venom, on the other hand...
Old 03-13-2017, 05:47 AM
It's all good, man

That page needs updating.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:21 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
Venom, on the other hand...
I'm sure there's a few Spidey minis from the era, as well (even as sales were being chopped by 80% or whatever the impact of the clone saga was), just nothing memorable.

(There's a lot of bad, bad, bad Larry Hama stories in those Venom minis if memory serves. Marvel didn't know what to do with Larry after GI Joe and his Wolverine run ended.)

Tags
hero or menace? , man , marvel , spider