The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 05-16-2017, 08:53 AM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyonion View Post
Enjoy the rest of the game. FF7 is really strong from nearly beginning to end. There are a couple of lulls spotted through the adventure (hey, it's a long game), but playing it again a few months ago for the first time in years I found that it held up remarkably well. Amazing game.
Nearing the end of my FF7 playthrough and gosh, I've basically been consumed by this game for the last several weeks. The translation is a little shaky in places, but overall I've been having a ton of fun bopping around the Planet and spending way too much time messing with different Materia setups.

It's even more impressive in retrospect when I think about how this was one of Square's early 3D games; feels like they really tried to take advantage of the move to polygons, especially in battle scenes. Love all the weird monster designs in this game, too.

Currently my preferred party setup is Cloud, Vincent and Tifa. Aside from being a weird brooding ghoul, Vincent's pretty strong with Magic and has two different guns with perfect accuracy, making the Deathblow skill (1/3 hit rate, but guaranteed critical) quite useful for him.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:31 AM
Sudden chomper

I finished my replay of FFX last night. I still like the game a lot, and I'd still rank it among the best Final Fantasies (below VI and about equal with VII and VIII, come at me), but the back third of the game definitely drags compared to the stronger opening. Once you reach the Calm Lands, you basically enter dungeon tunnel that last until you have the airship. At that point, the game opens up mechanically, but the story feels pretty locked in in a way that the earlier goings don't. Still, the characters are generally strong and have good arcs, the gameplay is rock solid and the world is fascinating and beautiful. I've always been the kind of person that enjoyed the Sphere Grid, but expert grid is definitely a step up in that it lets you start making meaningful choices earlier, which was one of the complaints I had with the original version.

Anyway, now it's time to decide if I want to invest some time building up my party to challenge the dark aeons. Normally I'd move on to something else, but I don't have a lot of portable games to play right now and this makes a decent time killer on the bus. Plus it's just so satisfying that first time you hit 99,999 damage with a single attack. Mmmm.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:58 AM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sensible View Post
Nearing the end of my FF7 playthrough and gosh, I've basically been consumed by this game for the last several weeks. The translation is a little shaky in places, but overall I've been having a ton of fun bopping around the Planet and spending way too much time messing with different Materia setups.

It's even more impressive in retrospect when I think about how this was one of Square's early 3D games; feels like they really tried to take advantage of the move to polygons, especially in battle scenes. Love all the weird monster designs in this game, too.
Square had an excellent 3D modelling team for 1997. The field stuff might look goofy now, but there were some very skilled modelers working on the battle assets. What they lack in textures, they make up for with skillful use of colors and polygons.

It makes for character, enemy, and summon designs that really pop out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
I've always been the kind of person that enjoyed the Sphere Grid, but expert grid is definitely a step up in that it lets you start making meaningful choices earlier, which was one of the complaints I had with the original version.
I like the Expert Grid for the added flexibility, I just wish the party members' "helpful advice" had gotten the memo and fucked off. Hey game, telling me to let Lulu handle that one may be fine for the old Sphere Grid, but I have a mage Tidus* here asshole, so fuck off!

* But seriously though, I prefer training Yuna in the dark arts. In a lot of ways she makes a way better black mage than Lulu.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:00 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
I like the Expert Grid for the added flexibility, I just wish the party members' "helpful advice" had gotten the memo and fucked off. Hey game, telling me to let Lulu handle that one may be fine for the old Sphere Grid, but I have a mage Tidus* here asshole, so fuck off!

* But seriously though, I prefer training Yuna in the dark arts. In a lot of ways she makes a way better black mage than Lulu.
Are you just referring to the barks the characters shout in battle? I think anyone using the expert grid is going to know enough not to listen to the characters' idle banter. And you're right about Yuna, she spent most of my game with a higher magic stat than Lulu, so I made sure to give her some good attack spells and she was absolutely deadly. She also has the easiest Celestial Weapon in the game to obatin/power up, so for the fight against Jecht she was regularly doing 20-30,000 damage with Holy. Didn't stop me from losing that fight once (Jecht's overdrive does enough damage to one-shot everyone except for Auron), but it made the fight go faster and it absolutely trivialized the fight against the aeons at the end.

Speaking of which, that last part is a slog. I know it's supposed to be one from a story standpoint, and I think it's effective the first time you do it, but on replays it's just 10 minutes of your life that you spend watching Yuna make sad faces before and after annihilating summons with a single spell. As for Yu Yevon, I don't even know if he's able to kill you? The only attack he used the entire length of the fight was Gravija. Not that he was around for very long, mind you.

Man, that ending always gets me a little misty.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:25 AM
TARANTUL

Dosen't YuYevon reraise your entire party at the start of the fight, anyway?

Braska's Final Aeon is the last boss, everything after that is an interactive cut scene.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:57 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Dosen't YuYevon reraise your entire party at the start of the fight, anyway?

Braska's Final Aeon is the last boss, everything after that is an interactive cut scene.
You start every fight in the post-Jecht sequence with Auto-Life applied to everyone. At first I thought this was just carried over from the Jecht fight, but eventually I realized that it was getting refreshed each time (one of the Magus sisters KOd somebody and next fight they had their Auto-Life again). I don't know what would happen if Yu Yevon killed your party - or if he even can - but you get at least two chances to take him down and it's not like he's particularly dangerous. So yes, interactive cutscene.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:35 PM
does the Underpants Dance

It's a playable cutscene inasmuch as it has thematic resonance for the story and world. Yu Yevon being literally unable to kill your party is exactly what that game is all about: nothing in Spira actually dies. Even the people who do get sent end up in the Farplane, the ones that don't turn into fiends (or turn into ghost people like Seymour and Auron). And all of it exists so Sin can live forever. The all-powerful force in Spira is the unending cycle of rebirth and the inability for anything to truly die, not a big deadly Aeon.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:55 PM

Pretty sure the only way to die in that final portion of the fight is to self-petrify. If your party does go with that route, and thus loses the fight, I'm not sure how that fits in with the themes of the game.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:07 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banach View Post
Pretty sure the only way to die in that final portion of the fight is to self-petrify. If your party does go with that route, and thus loses the fight, I'm not sure how that fits in with the themes of the game.
Obviously it means the characters gave up at the last minute and let Yu Yevon continue its reign of Spira.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:07 PM
disguised king of surfing

Quote:
They stared mortality in the face and were petrified in fear?
Old 05-18-2017, 03:53 PM
The Goggles do Nothing

I was gonna save the world, but then I got stoned.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:45 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
This is called "pulling a Palom-Porom".
Old 05-18-2017, 04:46 PM
McBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoggleBob View Post
I was gonna save the world, but then I got stoned.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:42 PM

Excellent, your answers to my question were everything I'd hoped for.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:05 AM
Out Of Warranty

Guys, guys!

Sooo pretty.... ;_;

ETA: From the Youtube page:

Quote:
SQUARE ENIX presents DISSIDIA FINAL FANTASY NT in partnership with Team Ninja from KOEI TECMO GAMES, a new and refreshing team-based brawler experience!
I think Dissidia games are dumb, but they were dumb fun so I'm all

Last edited by Positronic Brain; 06-07-2017 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Better quality trailer
Old 06-07-2017, 07:05 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

Those are some busy-ass screens. Couldn't follow what was going on. Looks like fun, though.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:10 AM
#deadfish2017

Ugh look at this mess

Old 06-07-2017, 07:13 AM
Fishing for Felbloom

I was more excited about the new Dissidia before I read that they'd completely altered the battle system and pared down the cast.

I dunno; maybe this one is good too, but I really just wanted Dissidia 012 with more characters and a villain campaign.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:17 AM
Out Of Warranty

This is based in the Arcade Game, right? I've played it and I couldn't make heads or tail of what was going on, but it was full of large numbers and pretty lights, so I just kept attacking and my opponents died eventually.

So kinda like FFXV.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Ugh look at this mess

Hilarious!
Old 06-07-2017, 07:28 AM
#deadfish2017

Draw & Junction is on there three times.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:47 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
Those are some busy-ass screens. Couldn't follow what was going on. Looks like fun, though.
Looking Fun is how Dissidia tricks you!
Old 06-07-2017, 08:02 AM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Draw & Junction is on there three times.
One on the Nameless Lion's user interface to show that's his equipped skill, one is appearing on the screen to show that its being used now, and one appears over Nameless Lion's head so other players can see where it's being used
Old 06-07-2017, 08:35 AM
whatever it takes

Play as all your favorite Final Fantasy characters, like Nameless Soldier and Nameless Boy
Old 06-07-2017, 08:41 AM
The Goggles do Nothing

I could forgive it on the Vita, but those names seem to indicate to me that the Story Mode (or whatever) is once again going to populate its world that spans all Final Fantasies and could contain every monster that has ever lurked in fifteen different worlds with more stupid "brainless recolors of the main cast". Come on, guys, at least reskin Squall to be an imp or something.

Also 3v3 matches and they're cutting some of the already pretty anemic cast? That's a great idea.

Anyway, let me know when the Special Edition is listed on Amazon so I can preorder it day one.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:49 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

The cast might be smaller, but they also added Ramza, so it's all good with me.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:51 AM
Unreleased Beta Version

Ramza is in this one, and he can throw rocks at people, so I'm already sold.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:52 AM
Fishing for Felbloom

The whole point of dumb crossover games is the opportunity to play as as many different characters as possible, though. If you're doing a crossover fighting game and the roster can fit on a note card, you're doing it wrong.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:53 AM
whatever it takes

Title: What's in a Name?
Author: Vaeran
Fandoms: Final Fantasy series, Dissidia: Final Fantasy
Rating: NC-17
Tags: Nameless Soldier, Nameless Lion, Nameless Soldier/Nameless Lion, M/M, Friendship, Developing Romance, Love Confessions, First Time, Sexual Content, Graphic Sexual Content, Extremely Graphic Sexual Content, Feather Dusters

Summary: Two warriors on the side of Cosmos find that war makes strange bedfellows, and that there are no heterosexuals in foxholes.

Language: English - Words: 76,681 - Chapters: 36 - Comments: 0 - Hits: 2
Old 06-07-2017, 08:53 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanto View Post
The whole point of dumb crossover games is the opportunity to play as as many different characters as possible, though. If you're doing a crossover fighting game and the roster can fit on a note card, you're doing it wrong.
... unless one of those characters is now Ramza, in which case you're doing it right.

Tags
anniversary , arby corwen , cloud computing , drink your goddamn tea! , fear of old threads , ffxiv is best , final fantasy , forking bards , i'm captain basch , let's mosey , numbers go up , spoony bards , square enix , the great ff9 war , what the fork? , your favorite ff is shit