The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 11-07-2016, 01:15 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Netflix Original Series is becoming increasingly less "here is a whole season of TV" and more "What if a movie was 13 hours long?"
Old 11-07-2016, 01:19 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
Netflix Original Series is becoming increasingly less "here is a whole season of TV" and more "What if a movie was 13 hours long?"
Listen, don't get between the kids and their bingewatching.

Although I could certainly think of better ways to blow $100 million than to produce a series about someone whose life doesn't get interesting until 30 years after a series starts. That's... hoping for a lot.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:26 PM
Mystery Contraption

Well, it worked for Daredevil
Old 11-07-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Well, it worked for Daredevil once.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:33 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

I really want to go back and see how well Flash S1 works as a bingewatch. I think it'd be just about perfect, given the "here's the plot, now stick around for the Wells-driven cliffhanger" structure.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:02 PM
This Guy

I have to say again how much this season of Supergirl is working for me. The Jimmy wanting to be a superhero thing came out of nowhere, but so far this season they are letting storylines carry over from episode to episode more smoothly. They've also added a ton of new characters, but don't feel like they all have to appear in every episode. Last week Jimmy was gone, this week it was Hank and Snapper. Having more regular players helps make the show's world feel bigger, while at the same time they've managed not to make it feel cramped.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:19 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Legends continues to be nice and solid each week.

And, y'know, Damien Dhark dressed up as Miami Vice-era Don Johnson wins the day every time.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:40 PM
See you April 15th, folks

(Sorry, posted this in the Arrow thread, not realizing the discussion had shifted here)

We're plodding along with Arrow because it's a ritual that Mo and I get together with my sister weekly to watch the DC shows, and we (mostly my sister) are the sort of completists that want to be caught up on everything for the crossovers.

That said, I really liked the season opener this year, because it seemed like it was hinting that the show would go in interesting directions that it has utterly failed to go in ever since then. Which is kind of the story with most seasons of Arrow? I was pretty excited for the focus to go more street-level and less Invincible Wizards and Nuclear Warheads, but I'm not sure how long that's going to last.

Also I like that Ragman is powered by the irradiated souls of all of Felicity's victims.

Supergirl's been great, though, and I like that Legends has settled into a more hop in, fix a problem, leave routine than last season, when it was just watching the heroes fail repeatedly while studiously avoiding doing the one thing that everyone knew they needed to do to win.

I've been enjoying the Flash. My sister gets very ragey about its timeline issues, though.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:54 PM
This Guy

I've only seen the first couple of Arrow episodes this season, but I liked what they appeared to be setting up. Arrow training a team of vigilantes is a better fit for the cast than last years Damien Dahrk is magically invincible stuff. I don't know if Legends has improved or just lost the dead weight that was Vandal Savage and the Hawks. I do miss Cap Cold, though. He kept me watching last year.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
I've only seen the first couple of Arrow episodes this season, but I liked what they appeared to be setting up. Arrow training a team of vigilantes is a better fit for the cast than last years Damien Dahrk is magically invincible stuff. I don't know if Legends has improved or just lost the dead weight that was Vandal Savage and the Hawks. I do miss Cap Cold, though. He kept me watching last year.
Lack of Captain Cold has been a major downer this season. So far we've just seen him in a brief flashback in the Flash. I assume Wentworth Miller is busy filming the Prison Break revival, but I need him back and channeling Eartha Kitt's Catwoman fast.

Hawks: Haha, remember before Legends started when there was a baseless rumor that CW was considering a Hawkgirl spinoff show? Hahahahahaha.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:23 PM

Legends is nonstop cringe-fuel for me. Their writers handle of history, and their ability to cast/create sets for these historical locations are barely a step above Public Cable Access. If it wasn't for the CGI ship or burning man flying around every so often, you could easily convince me this was a BBC TV show from the 80s. The Japan-episode in particular was weeaboo's first fanfiction.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:34 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
If it wasn't for the CGI ship or burning man flying around every so often, you could easily convince me this was a BBC TV show from the 80s.
Well, it DOES co-star a lord of time that once flew around in a blue box.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:46 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoltenBoron View Post
Hawks: Haha, remember before Legends started when there was a baseless rumor that CW was considering a Hawkgirl spinoff show? Hahahahahaha.
Yeah, when a character's high point is a two-second non-speaking cameo in Flash's first season finale, it's not what you'd call spinoff material.

Not that it's impossible for an actor to improve: for instance, I think that a big reason that Legends is a solid show now (apart from the obvious addition-by-subtraction vis a vis Savage and Hawkgirl) is that Franz Drameh's doing a much better job as JJ.

Steel isn't nearly interesting enough to be a regular, though.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:46 PM

So I've been shotgunning my way through Season 2 of the Flash!

THE GOOD! Flash is still fast and runs fast! He beats up the bad guys! There's a city full of monkeys!

THE BAD: Dear Writers. We get it. Yes having a secret identity would make dating difficult. PLEASE STOP BEATING THIS DEAD HORSE IT IS DEAD. IT IS NO LONGER MOVING. IT WILL NEVER MOVE AGAIN.

I mean

Fucking seriously.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:50 PM
Mystery Contraption

Careful BEAT, you start pulling at that thread and the entire comic book industry falls apart.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:57 PM

All I want is to not see another case where LOVE INTEREST shouts "LYING IS BAD" and then glares at SECRET IDENTITY KID and this happens 14 episodes in a row.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:00 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

To be fair, they... got around the repetition problem.

(I miss Patty. Aside from the obvious awesome two-parter, the season kinda went in the tank after she left.)
Old 11-14-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Yeah, when a character's high point is a two-second non-speaking cameo in Flash's first season finale, it's not what you'd call spinoff material.

Not that it's impossible for an actor to improve: for instance, I think that a big reason that Legends is a solid show now (apart from the obvious addition-by-subtraction vis a vis Savage and Hawkgirl) is that Franz Drameh's doing a much better job as JJ.

Yeeeaaaah, Steel's character feels like "We need someone aggressively whitebread, like Atom, but without the nerd adorableness that makes him charming. He needs to be an aggressive non-entity, so much so that you forget he's on the show when he's not on screen, and sometimes even when he is."
Old 11-14-2016, 07:36 PM
This Guy

Steel is testing even my love for JSA characters.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:56 AM

Default EITHER YOU GUYS ARE STRAIGHT CRAZY, STEEL IS FUCKING AWESOME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post

?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoltenBoron View Post
Yeeeaaaah, Steel's character feels like "We need someone aggressively whitebread, like Atom, but without the nerd adorableness that makes him charming."

??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Steel is testing even my love for JSA characters.

???

Last edited by BEAT; 11-15-2016 at 05:02 AM. Reason: OR SOMETHING IS TERRIBLY WRONG.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:06 AM

How did they fuck up steel.

THE ENTIRE IDEA BEHIND STEEL IS "WHAT IF FOLKLORE ICON JOHN HENRY SAW SUPERMAN AND WAS LIKE "YEAH I COULD DO THAT". I MEAN HIS FUCKING NAME IS "JOHN HENRY IORNS".

HOW THE FUCK DO YOU FUCK THAT UP.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:12 AM
Mystery Contraption

Very understandable confusion there, Mr. Skellybones.

There's a completely unrelated, older DC character also named Steel who is Captain America Except Totally Uninteresting.

Live action John Henry hasn't shown up in any form except the 1995 movie starring Shaquille O'Neil
Old 11-15-2016, 05:21 AM

Default I'm going to answer your (I'm guessing) rhetorical question

Quote:
HOW THE FUCK DO YOU FUCK THAT UP.
Make him a douchey, boring, white guy, weeaboo

Old 11-15-2016, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
There's a completely unrelated, older DC character also named Steel who is Captain America Except Totally Uninteresting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Oh now that's just wrong.

False fucking advertising.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:51 AM

I mean, when someone said "Hey let's add steel to the show" someone at the table had to go "Oh yeah! Iorn Man John Henry! I love that guy!", and when they corrected him that no they meant some other loser someone had to say "But for real, why aren't we going with Superman's Pal John Henry? Cuz that guy's fuckin great".

I mean it's a time travel show! They could go back to 1870 and somehow pick up the folk legend version of John Henry, because shenanigans, and then when they said Okay get off our spaceship he could just be like "haha Make me you weak nerds". Like, have an actual fucking legend on the show titled "Legends of Tomorrow"! This shit writes itself!

I'M SORRY SHIT'S GOT ME HEATED.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:26 AM
Mystery Contraption

Well, if Good Steels going to show up anywhere, it's probably going to be on Supergirl since he already has an "in" there.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:33 AM

Oh god.

Jimmy Olsen is just gonna suddenly go "I'M STEEL NOW", isn't he.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:44 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Oh god.

We all knew Guardian was DC's other ridiculously transparent Captain America ripoff, but the "update" to a "realistic" gray armor did not do anyone any favors. Especially not the atrocious-looking helmet.

I hope Toyman Jr at least gives it a colorful paintjob when he puts the finishing touches.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:01 AM

Yeah, technically, I think his name is... Commander Steel? Citizen Steel? Buck Private Steel? Esteemed Professor Doctor-Doctor Steel?

Seriously, though, on the last episode I went through the entire scene where Steel and Vixen first went to the warehouse and thought Steel was Atom, and I said "Boy, Atom's gotten really boring!" and then three scenes later when Atom showed up somewhere else I said "Wait a minute... It was that other guy!"
Old 11-15-2016, 09:21 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Oh god.

Jimmy Olsen has been, at various times, a werewolf, a gorillas bride, stretchy, the king of the hobos and a giant turtle-man, amongst other things.

"Iron Man, except with a hammer" is not that distinctive, in retrospect

Tags
bad thread titles , i don't get it , nobody gets it