The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 09-28-2016, 01:28 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
"What the hell kind of face is Superman making?! He got the scowl right, but it's the wrong way up!"
He actually WINKS in the trailer (which is basically a bunch of characters wetting themselves at the thought of being around Superman, and a great "is it illegal to hook up with my stepsister's cousin?" look from Kara's sister.)

The trailer also has a "fuck this, we're moving back to Gotham!" moment from a family of bystanders, which was cute. Maybe Supergirl's world is so optimistic that even Gotham isn't that bad? Like, it's the one from California from Batman 66...?
Old 09-28-2016, 02:28 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Maybe no Batman yet, or a Year One sort of situation? Dealing with mobsters/organized crime is probably a lot less stressful than random super powered entities having slugfests in the streets. Which just makes that a better joke, honestly.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:51 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

So this dropped yesterday, and apparently continues into a four-minute version that's locked away on the CW app. I assume Vimeo will have it sooner rather than later (WB seems to be KOing any Youtube videos), but...

... they need to do a Kara / Ollie story just for the hilarity that'll result, right?

EDIT: Dailymotion, as it turns out. The payoff's worth it.

(Oh, and the actual crossover? Justice League vs the Dominators.)

Last edited by Sven; 09-30-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:21 PM
This Guy

Flash's premiere was ... fine. It felt like ground that the show has already covered, but it got rid of last season's cliffhanger faster and more efficiently than I expected. I'm curious to see where they go from here and I am happy to have new Flash to watch again. Though I can't imagine there was much demand for yet another evil speedster, I don't mind them bringing Rival around, so long as he doesn't become the season's main antagonist. Which appears to be Dr. Alchemy and I hope it stays that way.

Also, are we using this thread or the old Flash thread for discussion?
Old 10-06-2016, 11:33 AM
Mystery Contraption

Don't want to run the risk of running into spoilers in the other Flash thread, but I've started season 2 and love everything about it just so much. I love that Earth 2 is apparently in Batman TAS times for aesthetics, I love that everyone hates Welles-2 slightly more than the original because he's way more rude.

And that's not even counting the flippin' SHARK MAN. And the fact that every characters reaction to him matched my own.

"Zoom" ain't never going to be a good villain name though, I gotta say
Old 10-14-2016, 11:11 AM
120 Days

Flash. Ugh

Legends: wtf is going on here?so no more Snart, Hawk People or Rip.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:28 PM
This Guy

I thought it was a really good week for the DC shows. Supergirl's premiere was excellent. Legend's premiere was fun and big, though it might have worked better as a two parter. I do wish they would dispense with the greater narrative and just do weekly time traveling stories. The opening in France was exactly what I want from this show. So was kidnapping Einstein. I don't think Rip Hunter Time Master is going to be gone for long, but even with the loss of Snart I like the mix of characters better right now. I think just having fewer characters in the main cast is a good decision, and Routh, Lotz and Purcell are probably the show's strongest performers. What i saw of Arrow was fine, but I missed most of it while making dinner.

The Flash is the one I expect to differ with most people on, because I really liked this week's episode even though it was the sort of episode that the show usually struggles with. It actually made Barry confront his mistake without letting him just solve everything by the end. I don't really like the direction they are taking Cisco, especially since this is the sort of thing that just can't be waved away after an episode or two, but the rest of it worked for me. I really liked Draco Malfoy as Barry's completely justified in his dislike of Barry work rival.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:41 AM
Mystery Contraption

Still working my way through season 2 of The Flash, still loving it, but I just watched an episode titled King Shark.

And it was about Barry struggling to defeat a 20-FOOT TALL SHARK MAN!

But the real focus of the episode was on everyone being sad about how the ending of the previous two-parter, and dealing with their SO SADs and various other interpersonal troubles. Which, admittedly, was still based mostly around evil Alternate-Universe Doppelgangers killing off Good Alternate Universe Doppelegangers, but STILL!

You... you can't have GIANT SHARK MAN be the flippin' B-Plot!
Old 10-20-2016, 09:36 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

I've only seen Supergirl and Flash so far this week (I actually wanted to watch Arrow this week because of Cody Rhodes, but I didn't get around to it), and you can just see Supergirl struggling to escape the chains the show had slapped on it in that first season SO HARD. Jimmy was a non-factor for like 99% of the episode, which helped.

Odd that they spend the first episode establishing Lena and then didn't mention her again here. I suppose that's sort of a normal thing with Flash (remember how Jay would vanish for a couple episodes at a time last year with no explanation given?) so Supergirl working under the same budgetary constraints shouldn't shock me, but it's a bit odd the way they got to Cadmus as being the villains from a structural perspective.

Flash was just a nice, comfortable episode. Nothing earth-shattering, but after being promised a new version of Wells I was a bit upset that they kept the E2 version around for the moment. I'm going to be annoyed next week since it looks like Mirror Master is going to be a meta rather than a Rogue. That's their big miss in terms of direction: the showrunners don't believe that the Rogues make credible threats to Flash.

On the other hand, I FINALLY got a definitive answer on something that's bugged me since like 1988: it's pronounced Magenta, like the colour, not MAG-NET-A, like she's a female Magneto.

(Yes, I know that it should be obvious from the way it's spelt, but... I'm the same guy who didn't realise Jamie Reyes' name was supposed to be read with the spanish pronunciation until BatB)
Old 10-20-2016, 10:20 AM
This Guy

Arrow was pretty good, but I was only paying attention half of the time. I am still a little shocked that the show is featuring Mr. Terrific, Ragman and Wild Dog. A live action show withe Mr. Terrific, Ragman and Wild Dog. Fucking Wild Dog.

Cody Rhodes was fine. He was selling a drug called Stardust.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:42 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Don't forget about Christopher Chance and Vigilante.
(spoilers are for the guest stars for eps 5 and 7)

Arrow is basically all post-DKR mid-to-late-80s DC now. Which... okay, cool? Lord knows it has met the ninja requirement several times over.

Weird that they made a big deal over the summer about how a lot of actors had the new contracts to appear on all the shows (Miller, Cassady, Barrowman) and they've been pretty absent thus far.

I'm going to be pretty conflicted next week: Rogues episode vs. MOTHERFUCKING SHIT BEN RABB.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:04 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
On the other hand, I FINALLY got a definitive answer on something that's bugged me since like 1988: it's pronounced Magenta, like the colour, not MAG-NET-A, like she's a female Magneto.
She's Magenta, master of magentism
Old 10-24-2016, 06:32 PM
120 Days

Can we talk about Gotham here?

I'm now a full Penguin / Nygma shipper.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:05 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
Can we talk about Gotham here?[/SPOILER]
That was the intent, although lord knows y'all keep bumping every other thread.

(Also: I'm liking Lucifer more this year. They seem to be making fun of being forced into the procedural structure more and more, and I'm curious to see how long they can keep that up.)
Old 10-25-2016, 12:17 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

YAY ROGUES STORY TONIGHT

(I still kinda miss McCulloch, tho.)
Old 10-26-2016, 08:50 PM
This Guy

Can we talk about how much the CW app sucks, at least on Kindle Fire? I missed last weeks Legends of Tomorrow, so I tried to watch it there. After 5 full minutes of commercials, it showed me 20 seconds of the episode. 5 minutes in, since the episode had apparently been playing behind the ads. After that, it jumped back to ads until I closed the app.

It worked better watching on my laptop. And other the pale Hulk it was an excellent episode.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:23 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

I'm kinda upset that they apparently killed off Rex Tyler (both because I like the character and the actor's a personal favourite of my wife's). Although "death" is even more fleeting in Legends than the other shows.

I'm not sold on the future Citizen Steel, though. He's a bit too generically babyfaced, and that's kinda Ray's slot on the team. And I sure as fuck don't want him turned into the mopey dope from Johns' JSA run....
Old 10-28-2016, 08:19 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Hm. I wonder if they're going to get Ray into a proper Atom costume now....

(With that said - another good episode. Increasingly looking like Kendra and Savage were the problems last year, as if we already didn't know that....)

Of course, the entire Jax / Stein subplot was Invasion setup, but, hey, gotta get that moving and since it's obvious Arrow and / or Flash are too busy to bother....
Old 10-30-2016, 01:02 PM
120 Days

Pretty tacky ep of Legends. "Ah so"
Old 11-02-2016, 11:17 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Flash is weird right now because the episodes are decent but ratings are in a bigger funk than at any other point in the show's history and I'm kinda worried that it might mean the producers will start hammering on the things they *think* the audience wants (more speedsters, as some little kid asked Gaustin about during a joint appearance in LA a week ago) rather than what's best for the show (more mysteries, more Rogues)
Old 11-02-2016, 08:24 PM
This Guy

Thing is, I think they are actually doing a better job of setting up a season long story here. They've spent the first 5 episodes seeding a lot of potential stories. Yes, I would rather just have Barry face off against Captain Cold and The Trickster over and over, but I'll take whatever's going on with Frost, Vibe and Kid Flash.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:14 PM
Find Your Reason

I just want a Crisis of Infinite Wells.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:04 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Thing is, I think they are actually doing a better job of setting up a season long story here. They've spent the first 5 episodes seeding a lot of potential stories. Yes, I would rather just have Barry face off against Captain Cold and The Trickster over and over, but I'll take whatever's going on with Frost, Vibe and Kid Flash.
I don't know what a plausible endgame is for those, though. It's good having lots of superpowered characters when you're setting up major plotlines like the crossover or the end of a season, but it throws the balance off for the regular episodes between those. Unless you're just seeding them to take a season off and take a role on Legends, but I don't think you want to fuck with the STAR team chemistry.

I'm assuming Wally isn't actually going to wind up with powers just yet, but who knows.

Last edited by Sven; 11-03-2016 at 06:22 AM.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:31 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
I just want a Crisis of Infinite Wells.
Oh yes.

Different Wells in every episode.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:46 AM
This Guy

Every episode should end with them returning Wells to the time stream and picking out a new one.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:48 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Every episode should end with them returning Wells to the time stream and picking out a new one.
... so now Wells is like his own team of MASK agents?

I approve.

(I do kinda wish they'd used the Wells-es as more obvious Easter Eggs for Elseworlds, although I doubt they're ever going to put the effort into designing a world that they did with E-2. I guess English Fop Wells could kinda be Gotham by Gaslight? Then again, they already fucked up by flipping Earth 2 and Earth 3....)

Personally, I want Hillbilly Wells as the full-time version. Cavanaugh thought playing a full season in a wheelchair was tough?

Oh, and last night's Arrow was goddamn weird. The AV Club reviewer hit on my main issue with it - it seemed to assume, even more than the Constantine episode last year, that the viewer was intimately familiar with Christopher Chance. Except that, yeah, there was a Human Target TV series on the air relatively recently... but that was basically completely different than the comic character and went through like six attempted retools over two seasons. And I'm pretty sure less people watched it than watch Arrow, which is saying something.

Last edited by Sven; 11-03-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:59 AM
This Guy

The Earth number name dropped last episode (the one this Wells is from?) was the Gotham By Gaslight reality, but I'm guessing that was a coincidence.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:07 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
The Earth number name dropped last episode (the one this Wells is from?) was the Gotham By Gaslight reality, but I'm guessing that was a coincidence.
Yeah. Not to mention that who knows if the numbers on the comics side even line up again post-Rebirth. The Wikipedia entry on the multiverse is at least trying to keep track....

(Also: are we getting to the point where the LSH ring on Supergirl is going to go into the "there are metas out there that had nothing to do with the particle accelerator" pile of totally forgotten plots?)
Old 11-07-2016, 12:57 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Oh man I just realized that GIRL has been DVRing the new seasons of all these things and we haven't watched any of them because I never saw flash season 2.

GUESS I KNOW WHAT I'M DREDGING UP ON NETFLIX NEXT.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:14 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Royals is also back in December, if you wish to dredge up the ALL CAPS thread.

(We also have The Crown to get into, but apparently that's just Netflix trying to produce a 50s-set British West Wing and bombing in the attempt. But, hey, the actress who played Nails in the adaptation of Going Postal is the lead....)

Flash is off tomorrow (obviously).

Tags
bad thread titles , i don't get it , nobody gets it