The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 06-09-2015, 09:08 PM
Time for singing

Default I am a We (Sharing our feelings about Sense8)

So I guess this just came out, an dI've been binge watching more than I did even with Daredevil.

Has anyone else given this new netflix series a chance yet? I know the Wachowski's name isn't quite the selling point it once was, but honestly, I've loved every episode so far.

The cast is really diverse and likable, the plot (as much as I know of it four episodes in) seems really interesting, and the central message of, basically, just trying to have empathy for every body is a very good one.

So I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks. Are you digging this, or is it Jupiter Ascending* The Series?

*Full disclosure, I kinda loved Jupiter Ascending, so...
Old 06-09-2015, 09:11 PM
Time for singing

I didn't wanna put this in the top post, cuz it's kind of more in depth and personal, but obviously there's a character I identify with in the series, and it's been a bit amazing to see how well written they are. Some of the situations they face rang so true for me, and I realized that I've never seen, kind of, my own experience shown on a major show before.

How the other characters and experiences hold up, though, I can't really say. Part of me is concerned that it veers towards stereotypes, or, you know, very western ideas of how these people and their culture act.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:46 PM
so exciting!

I've had some friends say that that stuff really hit home for them too.

Before I watch the show, someone needs to tell me it's Sense8tional. Just kidding I will get around to watching it as soon as I finish s5 of PLL
Old 06-09-2015, 10:39 PM
Good Bee

I posted about this in the TV thread, but Hito and I are about 5 episodes in at this point.

The characters are a big jumble of stereotypes, but they're stereotypes that don't get very much screentime, so it's refreshing to see them portrayed so straightforwardly.

Minor nitpick: The use of English as a common language is distracting at times, especially with the stories taking place in Korea and Nairobi. I think they would be better in their native language with subtitles.

It seems like they crank up the levels of Female Gaze in every new episode, which is impressive. So much man candy.

Regarding the trans female character (assuming that's who Maggie's talking about), I've never seen a character like this in TV before, and it's great. The character is almost eerily similar to one of my old college roommates and good friends (mid 20s trans lesbian, lives in San Francisco, works as a computer security expert). At one point there is a LESBIAN ACTION SQUAD which is fantastic. That said, massive trigger warning here; at one point (mild spoiler, but I really advise clicking it if you're sensitive to this sort of thing, as you'd really be better off knowing about this going into it) the trans lesbian faints (due to the Psychic Powers), is hospitalized, her mother (who constantly misnames and misgenders her) and doctor (and, presumably, the Evil Conspiracy) handcuff her to the bed and force her to undergo a lobotomy against her will, which taps into some very real fears faced by trans women. It's good to see this terrifyingly realistic scenario portrayed honestly, and it could have been handled a lot worse (like if the resolution passed it off as "oh you're just being a paranoid crazy trans lady, there's nothing to worry about"), but simply being reminded of this real life horror will absolutely be highly triggering for a lot of people. I won't go so far as to condemn the show's portrayal of it, as a cis person I'm not really in a position to do so, but I'd advise checking out the spoiler and avoiding the show entirely if that sounds too upsetting to you.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:20 AM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

Jesus, that spoiler. I don't think I could watch that.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:22 AM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie View Post
Has anyone else given this new netflix series a chance yet? I know the Wachowski's name isn't quite the selling point it once was, but honestly, I've loved every episode so far.
They haven't put out anything I've found to be less than tremendously exciting, frankly. I think they're awesome. I'm yet to see Ascending, but I know for a fact I'll love it.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:59 AM
A real human being

We watched the first episode last night. Didn't quite sell us on it, but it at least interested us enough to watch another episode.

From what I've heard, the trans woman in the show is actually played by a trans woman, which I'd say is a rather good thing.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:50 AM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointzeroeight View Post
We watched the first episode last night. Didn't quite sell us on it, but it at least interested us enough to watch another episode.
Oh yeah, I mentioned it in the other thread but not here; the first episode is by far the most boring of them all (so far). Really really weak pilot. So, for anyone on the fence after the first episode, I advise giving the second a try before writing it off. (Normally I think life's too short to give shows with weak pilots a second chance, but I'm glad we made an exception for this one.)
Old 06-11-2015, 12:03 AM
noble beast

The guys/all characters are indeed cute; that is good. I liked that 4 Non-Blondes sequence at the end of episode 4 (non-blondes). But I am not sure I'm seeing a vast qualitative difference between episode 1 and the other episodes.

I guess I just cannot stand watching all these people stumble around, not realizing that they have psychic links, all:

MAIN CHARACTER: DID YOU SEE THAT.
OTHER CHARACTER: Of course not; I don't have a psychic link with 7 other people around the world, as you clearly do and any idiot but yourself could see.

Episode 5. One of the eight sort of realizes what's up. The actor guy is having an incredibly hammy freak out in traffic which I find hard to watch. IMO, Naveen Andrews is annoying in this, but I want him onscreen rn so he can give everyone some very necessary exposition four episodes ago.

Maybe this isn't for me! But I am willing to stick w/ Brian J. Smith for a while longer.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:29 AM
Curious Young Gent

Odd that it takes 5 episodes for even one character to get a clue. You'd think they'd want more time with the actual premise rather than the tedious "what is happening?!" phase all fantasy/scifi shows must go through.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:40 AM
Suspected Atarian

We are four episodes in, and my wife and I are enjoying it, watching two episodes at a time.

For the record, I really liked Cloud Atlas, and she did not.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:42 PM
Time for singing

I didn't feel like there was much difference between episode one and the other episodes, either. They all move at that pace, but I kind of dig it. I like all of these characters pretty well, so I've enjoyed their having time to be themselves.

Also, episode 8, wow. That action sequence was fantastic, and it had me grinning like I did when I saw the final battle in Avengers for the first time. I'm glad they're really exploring all the possibilities that this concept provides them.

Last edited by Savathun; 06-12-2015 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:31 AM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie View Post
Are you digging this, or is it Jupiter Ascending* The Series?

*Full disclosure, I kinda loved Jupiter Ascending, so...
The descriptions of this show make it sound more like Cloud Atlas: The Series. Cloud Atlas is my favorite Wachowski movie so I definitely want to see this some time.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:04 PM
noble beast

I liked the 6th episode quite a bit. Basically I think I would just be fine if this were just a 12 hour music video of Our Heroes having psychic orgies and streetfighting their enemies. Unfortunately, it is not. Still, I like it.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:38 AM
Suspected Atarian

Finished it last night. It's a satisfying conclusion of an arc, but wow, I want the second season right now. While sometimes wobbly plot wise, I rarely found it boring. The actors cast as the the main characters are all top notch and have great chemistry with one another.

Give it a chance and/or stick with it if you are on the fence.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:48 PM
noble beast

I finished this, too. Honestly, I didn't completely love it, but it really has some really great moments with some excellent musical accompaniment. It was, thankfully, not terrible like Daredevil, which I also finished this week. I tuned out towards the end, tabbed over, so my judgment isn't entirely fair.

Capheus' special skill is apparently "driving recklessly." This is a skill I, too, could provide to an international collective of psychics.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:46 AM
Banned

Two episodes in. It's...alright. There are some interesting moments, and I like the concept, but the execution is often poor. Sometimes the acting is shitty and things are unfocused and I feel like I'm watching The Phantom Menace: Reloaded. Nomi's story feels a lot like an after-school special or a Very Special Episode and the others are basically blank slates at this point.

Also, in the opening credits, those two guys are licking it like ice cream!
Old 06-25-2015, 07:19 AM
Crazy Old Bird

I'm not sure how I feel about this show. The concept is great, and I love the mechanics involved, but I have a hard time caring about the characters and their world. Capheus is the only one I like without reservation. I really, really want to like Nomi and Neets, but they're a little too Nancy Drew for the tone the show tries to set. They're great when running support, but whenever they're the main focus Neets spouts awful one-liners endlessly.

It's also needlessly indulgent at times, which seems to happen with the Wachowskis. I did not need to watch people watching fireworks for that long, followed by ten freaking minutes of watching people watch a concert and remember their births one by one.

The last episode of the season is so great, though, and the first time the show fires on all cylinders. I cared about what was happening by the end, and was excited to see where they go. Hopefully the second season has more going for it.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
It's also needlessly indulgent at times...
My wife's comment about the ep 1 sex scene between Nomi and Amanita was, "That was hot, but we could have done without the splash".
Old 06-26-2015, 07:09 AM
Banned

Ep. 3 was a little better. Cool use of the concept at the end.

Also, this is an ep. 1 thing, but "I need to fuck a corner" is definitely working its way into the lexicon around here. That's not what people mean by edging, Wachowskis!
Old 07-03-2015, 07:14 AM
I. Love. It.

I'm four episodes in, keeping a one episode a day pace, and liking it a lot so far, though I'm only really super invested in like two of the characters, and right now the adventures of all the others are just kind of a thing I'm also watching in between, hopefully that will change.

(spoilers up to episode 4) Of the two, Nomi's story has certainly been the most compelling, if only because what happens to her, or almost happens to her, is downright nightmare fuel. Her situation was so distressing that after I finished watching episode 3 I loaded episode 4 immediately, not to watch it at that moment (sticking to one episode a day) but to skim through it quickly to see what happens to her and was relieved when I saw her exiting the hospital with Martha Jones at the very end. I imagine getting out of the hospital is not the end of her troubles considering the legal ramifications of whatever it was her mother signed, but I guess she'll cross that bridge when she comes to it. ...and hopefully deliver some kind of comeuppance to her mom because whaaaaaaaaaaat a bitch...

The other character I'm most interested in is Sun, mostly due to the fact that I can empathize with having a younger sibling that's kind of a screw up. Mine's not nearly as bad as Sun's useless little brother, but I've had to come to bat for my own on more than one occasion and he just. Doesn't. Learn. I got legitimately angry when she agreed to take the fall for him, and kinda wish she just punched him at least once. Dude's not worth it.

And her being an ass-kicking asian girl might be kind of a stereotype, but she wears it well, at least.

The other characters, eh, they're alright so far. I certainly don't dislike any of them, but they haven't made as big of an impression yet, I can't even remember most of their names. Come to think of it that's not exactly high praise for a show, but there's a large cast to work with here and it's only been four episodes. I'm sure I'll remember who they all are by the end.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:25 AM
does the Underpants Dance

Watched the pilot because of suggestions. I felt all the feelings. I dunno, it was kind of intense? I think I was in some kind of weirdly specific headspace because it totally had me tearing up towards the end. It's definitely called Sense8 for a good reason, at least.

It feels like the themes in this show are a long time coming for TV. I'm even gonna go so far to claim this will be a show future generations look at to understand the cultural zeitgeist of the 2010s. My personal feelings are obviously impacting me here, but "empathy for everybody" is a big thing to me, and I think that concept is starting to penetrate a lot of the current social climate.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:42 PM
I. Love. It.

Finished the season. Still like it a lot, and finally grew more attached to the rest of the cast (though I still have a hard time remembering Capheus's name).

The end of the season is a tad unsatisfying, but it's clear they still have lots of story to tell. I think they want to make something like five seasons? Assuming they get to do all that then yeah, it ends off feeling like 1/5th of a complete story. The finale has plenty of action and suspense, but there's still so many unanswered questions and loose ends. I expect it will be picked up for more seasons, if it hasn't been already.

Character thoughts/things I would like to see in Season 2:

Sun has to make some headway against her brother. Her story seems really stalled at the moment since she cannot do much from behind bars, and since her brother apparently killed their father when he was about to reveal the truth she's probably not getting out any time soon.

Kala needs to make up her mind about Rajan. She doesn't love him, but she's not willing to tell him no, and the Wedding can only be postponed for so long.

I'd love to see Nomi finally settle things one way or the other with her family. That will be hard since she's in hiding right now, and I guess her mother still legally has power of attorney or whatever over her so that will need to be addressed as well.

I expect they'll address the fallout of Lito's career once the pictures get out, hopefully they'll manage to do something interesting with that. Maybe he'll move to California and room up with Nomi.

I'm not sure where they'll go with Wolfgang now that he's basically killed every asshole in his family. On the run from the law, maybe? His is one of the arcs that's mostly resolved at the end of the first season.

Capheus kicked a guy with the side of his Van Damme bus, so his arc has already peaked as far as I'm concerned.

As for Will and Riley, Will is now a huge liability and I expect that will be the main plot thread for Season 2. We'll need to learn more about Whispers and, more importantly, how to get him out of Will's head.

Also, what did everyone think of the very very visible live birth at the end of the season? I kept thinking "No, they won't, there's no way they'll OH THEY DID OK THEN". I mean, they got all up in that, yow.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:23 AM
Banned

God, Lito's telenovela scenes are hysterical.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:39 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
God, Lito's telenovela scenes are hysterical.
The fake action scenes are great send-ups of the Wachowskis' Matrix work. And then when actual action scenes happen, they're just as outlandish.

I hope we see more in the second season. The character work only gels when it's holding up kooky sci-fi action.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
I hope we see more in the second season. The character work only gels when it's holding up kooky sci-fi action.
I think the bigger problem is that there are eight main characters and only twelve hours of show. I've got one episode left and Lito's boyfriend Hernando is more fleshed out than some of the sensates. I don't even know the Indian chick's name.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:42 AM
Disco time!

Episode four: Best use of 4 Non Blondes on television ever.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaeus View Post
Episode four: Best use of 4 Non Blondes on television ever.
Definitely better than it getting played every 15 minutes on MTV back in the day, I'll grant that.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:41 AM
Banned

Finished it last night. I was kind of rough on it to begin with, but I was really into it by the end. Hopefully it gets renewed.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:53 AM
Suspected Atarian

Renewed for season 2!!!

Tags
netflix , sense8 , wachowski