The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 05-04-2015, 03:04 PM
Espurrs are proud.

I started a randomized FF6 run. Having Terra/Krile as a mime is interesting, but the utter lack of early-game healing is becoming an issue. Also, if Locke/Josef (and presumably anyone with Morph) uses Morph, he turns into Esper!Terra straight-up, complete with Esper tiddies.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:34 PM
Espurrs are proud.

Oh, another fun one I'd like to recommend, though it's not technically a "ROM hack," is OBLIGE, a Doom WAD generator. It's best approached as a roguelike, you generate full games with it and play until you either win or die.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:35 PM
We Hardly Knew Ye

Final Fantasy Tactics Randomizer.

I'll just leave this here.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
Final Fantasy Tactics Randomizer.

I'll just leave this here.
Oh damn... is that the PSP version or PSX? Because I still have the latter modded out for reviews and if I could play this on the real hardware that's a dark temptation.

Also, I'm trying to make the opening post here a complete alphabetical catalog so...

A- Where's this busted FE7 thing?
B- We have a link to the good Super Metroid one yet?
C- Does Zelda go under L or under Z?

Oh and D- Come on seriously, where's SotN already?
Old 08-09-2015, 08:42 AM
disguised king of surfing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
C- Does Zelda go under L or under Z?
the game's name is The Legend of Zelda

"the" isn't alphabetized, so...
Old 08-09-2015, 05:07 PM
We Hardly Knew Ye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
Oh damn... is that the PSP version or PSX? Because I still have the latter modded out for reviews and if I could play this on the real hardware that's a dark temptation.
It's for the PSX. Most people who do any sort of editing or modding of FFT don't touch War of the Lions with a ten foot pole if they can help it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
the game's name is The Legend of Zelda

"the" isn't alphabetized, so...
The official name of the randomizer is, however, "Zelda Randomizer," no "Legend of." That being said, presumably Googleshng wants to organize them by game name, not program name, so... really either is fine.

(I mean, if you really want to be that nitpicky about it, you'd have to file the first game under L and the second under Z...)
Old 12-31-2015, 05:52 PM
oh my car

Dragon Warrior 1 (NES) randomizer shuffles chest contents, monster abilities, encounter tables, town locations, dungeon locations, shop inventories, stat gains, and spell acquisition. It also, to reduce grindingness, adjusts the balance to be approximately that of remakes.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:51 PM
The Great

Civ V Randomizer

Randomizes leader traits/units/buildings/improvements. It supports several mods that give additional bonuses as well, and also some modded civs with some fiddling. IIRC just the ones that don't use LUA. Probably best played with random personalities on as well.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:36 PM

Odd things to give this treatment to, but I may have to try the DW one... maybe after a bug fix or two.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:46 AM
We Hardly Knew Ye

A few additions:
And that's mostly what I know. Fred Coughlin of Zelda Rando fame has been working on-and-off on randos of Super Mario Bros. 3 and Final Fantasy 4, so there's those on the horizon somewhere maybe.

What a time to be alive.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:10 AM
The Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
It also has a few Ancient Cave options if that's your bag.
!!

You can't just throw out "FFVI Ancient Cave" as an aside!
Old 07-06-2016, 01:07 PM
More than two problems

A Link to the Past Randomizer has hit version 4. It's fun!
Old 07-06-2016, 05:17 PM
We Hardly Knew Ye

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyGundam View Post
!!

You can't just throw out "FFVI Ancient Cave" as an aside!
I'll admit I haven't given it the time I should have myself, but there's long cave, short cave, and vanilla cave options. You start with four level one characters and are thrown onto a randomized "Kefka's Tower" featuring bits from every map in the game. I'm not joking when I say it can get pretty confusing. A door in vector can lead to a spot in mt zozo to the world of ruin instance of jidoor to the throne room of the ancient castle, only to loop back on itself somewhere.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:21 PM
TARANTUL

So, you don't just descend until you reach the bottom?

That's not a proper Ancient Cave at all.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:16 PM
who's she

Ooh, new toys. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:01 PM
We Hardly Knew Ye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
So, you don't just descend until you reach the bottom?

That's not a proper Ancient Cave at all.
Well, you have your party split up into three groups, each on their own linear track as normal. And ultimately, there is a "single path" down, it's just that sometimes paths criss-cross and loop back a bit.

Each track is further divvied up into four segments, denoted by a change in music. Once you enter a new segment, you won't loop back into an old one.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:40 AM
#deadfish2017

Haven't tried it yet, can't speak for quality but

Mega Man 2 Randomizer

Quote:
Featured Randomizer Modules

- Robot Master Order: The 8 robot master stages are shuffled. The boss portraits on
the Stage Select screen point to different stages.

- Weapon Behavior: Movement properties and ammo usage of each weapon are changed.

- Boss Weaknesses (CHAOS MODE): The damage done by each weapon against each boss is changed.
Two Robot Masters take 2x damage from Buster. Every Robot Master will have a primary weakness
and secondary weakness. Damage values are, on average, lower than in vanilla Mega Man 2.

- Boss Weaknesses (EASY MODE): The damage done by each weapon against each Robot Master is
shuffled, so that all weapons remain as effective as in Mega Man 2. Wily 2 and Wily 4 boss
remain unchanged.

- Boss AI: Properties of Robot Master attack patterns are changed.

- Weapon Get: The weapons awarded from defeating Robot Masters are shuffled.

- Items 1, 2, and 3 Get: Which Robot Master awards each of the 3 Items is shuffled.

- Wily 5 Teleporters: The Robot Masters inside of each Wily 5 teleporter has been shuffled.

- Enemies: The enemy IDs for most enemy instances have been changed. Sprite banks for
each room in each level are modified to support different enemy combinations appearing. A few
enemies are not yet supported.

- Colors: Stage backgrounds, Robot Master colors, Mega Man's weapon colors, and a few Wily
bosses have randomly assigned colors.

- BGM: The background music for all stages have been shuffled.

- Random Weapon Names: In the Weapon Get screen, the weapon name and letter will be randomized.
This letter is not used in the pause menu, however.

- Fast Text: To compensate for the U version being slower, text delay is increased from 7
frames to 4 frames.

- Burst Chaser Mode: Increase Mega Man's movement speed, and reduce a few other delay timers.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:15 PM
who's she

Wait, so on chaos mode, you could have a Boobeam Trap that's weak to metal blade or something? That would be hilarious.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:38 AM
Bertolli?!?...

I've been having a lot of fun with the FF1 Randomizer this weekend. It's still in alpha, but what's there is perfectly playable.

I checked the option that retains original class spell restrictions, and I instantly regretted it when the spell shops in Corneria had L1 Fade and L3 Nuke and I couldn't buy either since my mages aren't promoted. Fortunately, Provoka had L3 Cure3 and L3 Fire3 for sale, so my mages didn't stay useless for long. OH, and level L1 Pure in Elfland for only 200g, which has been super useful and honestly feels like how it should have been in the first place. Now I actually buy and cast the Pure spell!

The Marsh Cave didn't have the crown, but it did have the TNT, so I had to head over to the Earth Cave without the mystic key or any of the mystic key chests, but then F1 of the cave had the Ruby and the Crown sitting right beside each other, so I GTFO'd and got a bunch of awesome loot. When I did go finally go back and loot the Earth Cave, I found the Tail, but it looks like the Floater is in the Volcano somewhere (I just cleared out the Ice Cave), so no class changes for me yet.

The Ice Cave itself was pretty funny. I haven't found any shops that sell Soft potions yet, and the Soft spell is L7 magic, so I won't be casting it any time soon. Since Inns and Healing Houses don't actually cure Stone, that means that any petrification is an immediate reset. About 5/6 of the way through the Ice Cave, my Black Mage got petrified, but I decided to push on through anyway since I was almost done and had failed about a dozen trips already, and guess what was in the Floater chest after fighting the Eye: a single Soft potion.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:55 PM
Too Much TV Game

I've decided that the Zelda II Randomizer is profoundly not fun.

It's a novel idea to mix up enemies, town/item locations and enemy designs in a game like Z2, but the game randomized is way too cruel and frustrating, even with not many triggers on. (And don't turn on community text, for obvious reasons.)

Allow me the option to eliminate all exp. loss from the game! That was a garbage mechanic from the very start! Don't always have a randomized world where the starting palace is stuck right outside a giant area of graveyard!

Really, Zelda II was not designed to have low-level Link fight enemies that benefit strongly from additional abilities and/or techniques. And just walking four steps and having axe people fall from the sky is...holy hell. And whoever decided that having flying projectives come from FOUR directions rather than two needs to be hurt.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:59 PM
concern troll

Just found this thread. Can anyone speak to the quality of the mega man randos?
Old 01-27-2017, 07:44 PM
Less Than Three

For anyone who hasn't checked out Zelda Randomizer recently/at all, it got an update to v3.0 in December, and now can do dungeon shape randomization. Chaos is now my favorite seed type.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:22 AM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingToaster View Post
For anyone who hasn't checked out Zelda Randomizer recently/at all, it got an update to v3.0 in December, and now can do dungeon shape randomization. Chaos is now my favorite seed type.
oh neat, I hadn't checked out 3.0 yet, didn't know it was out.

I'm not actually sure if I WANT that, though. Part of what I like about Zeldo is how it shuffles everything while still following rules, such as dungeon shape. Probably worth playing at least once, still. Based on what I know about the randomizer there's probably still SOME kind of rules about how the shapes work.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:48 PM
The Great

The Dark Souls of item randomizers

I don't know why I didn't expect this one, but it's a really good fit for the concept.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:47 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart Zaidyer View Post
A Link to the Past Randomizer has hit version 4. It's fun!
It's up to v7 now, and there's a web client: http://vt.alttp.run/ where you upload your Link to the Past (JP v1.0) ROM and it patches and gives you the randomized ROM based on the seed/settings of your choice. Really convenient.

Also, http://twitch.tv/speedgaming is having a LTTP randomizer tournament all this month, and I've been having a blast watching these races. Skill levels still vary widely at this point since the pool's still very large, from the experienced runner with good movement, good glitch mastery, and the whole dependency graph memorized like the back of their hands, to much more novice runners who still make a crazy bet and sometimes have it pay off. Last night I saw a novice runner make an absolutely heroic effort to learn dark misery mire on the fly which was so inspiring that I decided to finally try LTTP randomizer out myself, since I've had so much fun watching these races. Very excited to see which single chest I'm forgetting manages to be the one thing blocking me from making progress.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:31 PM
concern troll

I really want to like LttP rando but I still want them to make an option for babies like me that either starts you with the moon pearl and mirror or locks their locations somehow (either original or sanity checks them into a Major Item location) so you can start exploring the Dark World quicker and more easily. The one time I played LttP rando for any amount of time I got super stuck without one of those (I think the mirror)
Old 04-13-2017, 03:18 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
I really want to like LttP rando but I still want them to make an option for babies like me that either starts you with the moon pearl and mirror or locks their locations somehow (either original or sanity checks them into a Major Item location) so you can start exploring the Dark World quicker and more easily. The one time I played LttP rando for any amount of time I got super stuck without one of those (I think the mirror)
Yeah, that's a big part of what I enjoy so much about watching the races; inevitably one of the racers is in the situation where they're missing just one item gating off a huge amount of progression (the moon pearl hiding in the ToH basement with all fire sources gated by fetch quests is one of my favorites), which the audience and commentators already know the location of because they watched the other racer make a lucky guess earlier. I'm sure I'll enjoy that less once I'm the one who forgot that one chest and am scouring the world looking for it, but it's fun as hell to watch.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:22 PM
concern troll

There's just so many chests in death mountain, especially in the dark world, that I just never remember the location of. I'm sure I'll get it with practice just like I did with LoZ rando, but LttP is just slightly too long for it to be something I'd run a lot.

Now, if they could figure out a way to mix up more than the chests, I might be more interested in the longer runs.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:02 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post
Last night I saw a novice runner make an absolutely heroic effort to learn dark misery mire on the fly which was so inspiring that I decided to finally try LTTP randomizer out myself, since I've had so much fun watching these races. Very excited to see which single chest I'm forgetting manages to be the one thing blocking me from making progress.
Well, I did it, and had so much fun that I did it again on Saturday, and again on Sunday, and will probably do it again tonight, and also every day forever???

Saturday's run was especially fun because there's a whole community that gets together every Saturday at 3pm EST, generates the same seed, then everyone runs that seed. They've been doing this every week for a while now, and the community has grown a lot, over 31 people participated in last Saturday's race! (I played the seed but didn't participate officially because I still suck too much not to use savestates here and there.) It's my first time actually "speedrunning" anything, but the crowd is really cool and welcoming to newbies. Then as people finish throughout the afternoon, it's fun to chat about what particular fresh hell you got to experience on this seed with everyone else. This Saturday's run taught me two new things that I had no idea about:

1) Since the randomizer also randomizes which dungeons have pendants vs. crystals, and the pendants are only needed to access the master sword pedestal (which also has a randomized reward), the vast majority of seeds don't require completing all three pendant dungeons. If you're on one of these seeds, and Swamp Palace is a pendant dungeon, then the Magic Mirror is actually completely optional for the entire game! (In this seed, it was located somewhere no LTTP randomizer speedrunner would ever find it: turtle rock big chest, so almost everyone completed the game completely mirrorless.) This totally changes all sorts of routing that I'm used to in terms of getting around dungeons and the dark world in general, and I had a blast rethinking all of that on the fly.

2) The other really bizarre twist in this seed I hadn't seen before: the Moon Pearl was on the Dark World pyramid, so the only way to access it was by beating Agahnim. Of course, I was still mirrorless at this point, so I was surprised to find that you're still bunny Link even after grabbing the moon pearl in the dark world. I thought (along with many other runners) that saving and quitting then going back to dark world was the only way to actually activate the moon pearl at that point. So I was really surprised when I watched the VOD of a friend doing the same seed to see him grab the moon pearl, jump off the pyramid as bunny Link, then get immediately transformed to normal Link the moment he landed. Crazy!

Anyway, the LTTP randomizer has its own discord if any of you are interested in giving one of these community races a try, or looking to chat about LTTP randomizer in general: https://discord.gg/7N4CU3d

(The tournament is still ongoing, and still awesome, but at this point I'm spending too much time playing lttp rando to watch lttp rando, even though I want to do both!)
Old 04-21-2017, 12:33 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post
Well, I did it, and had so much fun that I did it again on Saturday, and again on Sunday, and will probably do it again tonight, and also every day forever???
Cut to four days later and krelbel is now ranked on SpeedRunsLive

Participated in my first official race last night (ranked 7th out of 13), seventh time clearing the game since I started last week, and my first clear time under 2 hours (by exactly 2 seconds, but I'll take it!) beating my previous PB by 19 minutes! Still haven't gotten stuck on any run, which I'm pretty proud of.

This game is so good you guys!

Tags
nostalgia , possibility space race , random , randomizer , rom hacks , zelda