The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-10-2015, 08:37 PM

Default Everything old is new again! Randomizer ROM Hacks!

There seem to be enough of these now that there should really be a thread for them. Cool weirdos have started a hot new trend of making programs that spit out crazy remixed versions of some of our favorite games.

The following TOTALLY RAD EXAMPLES of this currently exist:

Breath of Fire 2 (Abyssonym)
Civilization V
Dark Souls (HotPocketRemix)
Doom
Dragon Warrior (Or Dragon Quest if you prefer) (mcgrew)
Dragon Warrior 2 (gameboy9)
Dragon Warrior 3 (gameboy9)
Final Fantasy 5: Ancient Cave (More ambitious than most, full roguelike)
Final Fantasy 6 (Dessyreqt)
Final Fantasy VI Beyond Chaos (with Ancient Cave) (Abyssonym)
Final Fantasy 9 (Tirlititi)
Final Fantasy Tactics (Abyssonym)
The Legend of Zelda (Fred Coughlin)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past Randomizer (dessyreqt)
Mega Man Endless modes for 2, plus 3, 4, and 5.
Mega Man 2 (duckfist)
Pokémon (any through Black/White 2)
Super Metroid (Dessyreqt)
Super Metroid Route Randomizer (Liornan)
[This space reserved for Symphony of the Night. It's a no brainer. Make it happen.]

Last edited by Googleshng; 04-14-2017 at 02:53 AM.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:47 PM
yum

I had a lot of fun with FFV AC, even though it has its problems. I really need to install windows on one of my computers so I can try all of these new ones.

And the game I most want to see randomized next is Ogre Battle 64.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:54 PM
The Great

All main series Pokemon games through Black/White 2

I mentioned it in the Pokemon thread too, but this thing has a pretty robust list of options for randomization. So you can do something relatively tame like change Pokemon locations, or you can go nuts and give everything new types/abilities/stats/movesets to make it a totally different game.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:52 PM
Better be the real thing.

I really enjoyed the Zelda Randomizer--even though the Second Quest was still an exercise in self-brutality (my first attempt put the Silver Arrow behind Ganon; it turned out I just needed a more up-to-date version of the program)--so I thought I'd try the one for Super Metroid.

Good lord, this thing hates me. My first seed gave me the Screw Attack left me without bombs, meaning I got stuck in several rooms and had to reset. Today I tried one with the Classic randomizer (the main difference seems to be that the Morph Ball and Bombs are still in the same place), and managed to beat Kraid without even picking up a single Energy Tank. However, I was left in the bottom of Brinstar with no Varia and no Ice Beam. Argh.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:24 AM
Not A Low-Level Life Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyGundam View Post
All main series Pokemon games through Black/White 2

I mentioned it in the Pokemon thread too, but this thing has a pretty robust list of options for randomization. So you can do something relatively tame like change Pokemon locations, or you can go nuts and give everything new types/abilities/stats/movesets to make it a totally different game.
So what you're telling me is that I can just play Leaf Green over and over again?

hmmm. Hmmmmm. HMMMMMMMMM.

... route 1 Zubats
Old 04-11-2015, 09:03 AM
Fishing for Felbloom

I've seen screenshots of a Fire Emblem 7 randomizer floating around, but I'm not sure who makes it or where they distribute it.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:23 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
There seem to be enough of these now that there should really be a thread for them. Cool weirdos have started a hot new trend of making programs that spit out crazy remixed versions of some of our favorite games.

The following TOTALLY RAD EXAMPLES of this currently exist:

Final Fantasy 5: Ancient Cave (More ambitious than most, full roguelike)
Final Fantasy 6
The Legend of Zelda
Super Metroid
[This space reserved for Symphony of the Night. It's a no brainer. Make it happen.]
The SM Randomizer seems to be different from the one mentioned in Parish's recent USG article, is it?
Old 04-11-2015, 02:16 PM
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanto View Post
I've seen screenshots of a Fire Emblem 7 randomizer floating around, but I'm not sure who makes it or where they distribute it.
From a quick Google search, Here's serenesnet working on it, and here's something from reddit, but I have no idea if either is definitive or even work.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:13 PM
World of Darkness Returns

Did the Pokemon one on blue and its kind of nuts. Articuno and Mewtwo in the same patch of grass north of Viridian city.

...not like I've got a chance in hell of the shitty pokeballs even connecting, much less catching, them.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:55 PM
Not A Low-Level Life Form

I tailored the Pokemon one on Leaf Green to swap out Pokemon of similar strength, and to not use Legendaries. Basically, it's like playing a remixed Leaf Green. I found a Swinub outside Pallet Town! It's got a lot of options, but I think it's stronger when you rein it in a bit. Also, the options to start with some modern concessions, like the Gen 6 move stats and starting with a National Dex, is pretty great.

There's an option in there somewhere to raise the minimum capture chance to 20% or 35% to combat the whole "there's no way to catch this with a pokeball" thing.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
The SM Randomizer seems to be different from the one mentioned in Parish's recent USG article, is it?
It could be? The one he was talking about sounds pretty great. I just linked to what the Zelda one's project page mentioned. Someone want to clear that up?
Old 04-12-2015, 12:05 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
The one in Parish's article was the Super Metroid Route Randomizer. (Yes, that link leads to some guy's Twitch page. There's a link in the channel description to the program.)
And those links are broken, which the guy warns of on his twitch page
Old 04-12-2015, 12:48 PM
I. Love. It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
And those links are broken, which the guy warns of on his twitch page
Really? I was able to get it. Maybe Mediafire's having a temporary issue?

Anyway I tried that version out (I appreciate shortening the opening monologue considerably) but a few rooms in after landing on Zebes I get in this situaton:

Didn't shoot away enough blocks, can't aim directly upward while crouching, didn't get the Morph Ball yet.

Whoops!
Old 04-12-2015, 01:22 PM
Totally Radicola!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post

Anyway I tried that version out (I appreciate shortening the opening monologue considerably) but a few rooms in after landing on Zebes I get in this situaton:

Didn't shoot away enough blocks, can't aim directly upward while crouching, didn't get the Morph Ball yet.

Whoops!
If for some reason you haven't changed R to dash, you can aim up while crouching if you hold L and R together.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:53 PM
hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMer View Post
If for some reason you haven't changed R to dash, you can aim up while crouching if you hold L and R together.
And if you have changed it, then whatever two buttons you use to aim diagonally.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:17 PM
Lipton Cup 'o Fangs

You know, people used to do this with Atari 2600 cartridges, rapidly inserting and unplugging the cart to scramble the code. Russ Perry Jr. called it "frying," although I don't know if he came up with the trick or just gave it a name. Anyway, frying a cartridge can grant extra lives, or just leave the game hopelessly screwed up until you shut off the system for a few seconds to clear its memory. I suspect that frying would have especially amusing results in Adventure, with its plethora of items and twisty mazes.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:27 PM

Well, I finally got a Super Metroid seed that kind of liked me. I completed it this afternoon. It gave me the Varia instead of the Spazer, I think the Screw Attack instead of the Varia, and the Gravity Suit and Plasma beam somewhere in Norfair. It would have been easier if I'd thought to check that Reserve Tank room in Brinstar; I could have gotten the Space Jump way sooner and actually tried a meaningful sequence break.

The big downside was having to bomb jump up the vertical shaft in Brinstar to get away from Norfair. But I've finally, after 21 years, gotten the hang of bomb-jumping in SM.

Oh well, I'm off this week. Maybe I'll start a new file tomorrow.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:22 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Tried a LeafGreen randomized run.

Starter options were Poliwag, Ralts, and Larvitar. I took the Larvitar, rival took the Ralts. It's unusual for the rival to take the one with type weakness to your guy, huh?

Very first mon in the grass in route 101 was a level 3 Deoxys.

Quit after beating Brock because Pokemon is still p boring.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:16 PM
yum

I had no idea there were so many "pay for the door" traps in original Zelda.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:55 PM
McBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by R^2 View Post
Tried a LeafGreen randomized run.

Starter options were Poliwag, Ralts, and Larvitar. I took the Larvitar, rival took the Ralts. It's unusual for the rival to take the one with type weakness to your guy, huh?

Very first mon in the grass in route 101 was a level 3 Deoxys.

Quit after beating Brock because Pokemon is still p boring.
Probably needed more Swellow jamming a cigar in to a Machop's face.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:24 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

You know how some Zelda dungeons have two items in 'em? Eagle has both the Bow and Boomerang, Lion has the Book and Magic Key, and Death Mountain has both the Red Ring and Silver Arrows.

Well

In this random run, these are the treasures I found in Death Mountain:
Wooden Boomerang
Magical Boomerang

No stun-and-gun run, hun.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:23 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
I had no idea there were so many "pay for the door" traps in original Zelda.
"I didn't even break the door to get in! You live in a cave!"
Old 04-16-2015, 04:58 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Tried the Super Metroid randomizer. I'm now stuck in the bottom of Brinstar post-Kraid without Hi-Jump Boots or Ice Beam. Can't live long enough to get anywhere in Norfair without Varia, can't get anywhere in Maridia, can't climb the shaft back up to Brinstar proper without god-tier wall-jump skills or the Ice Beam.

So uh

Presumably there's some way to keep going but damned if I know what it is.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:04 PM
hi there

Can you climb up to Brinstar with bomb-jumping? (This is both a "is it possible in the game" and a "are you good enough at bomb-jumping to attempt it")
Old 04-16-2015, 07:01 PM

You can. You do have to blow up the Rippers first, but by that point you should have plenty of Super Missiles. I know because I learned the hard way. This video helped me get the hang of it.

Mockball comes in pretty handy, too. I did another run and thanks to this, picked up the Space Jump as my second major item (instead of a Reserve Tank), and the Gravity Suit as the third (instead of the X-Ray Scope).

Last edited by Alex Scott; 04-16-2015 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:21 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

I did end up bomb jumping to the next platform up the shaft, two whole screens away. It was so time-consuming and unfun that I put the game down afterwards.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:56 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Super Metroid, patched with the Super Metroid Door Randomizer v0.3a. As you may have guessed, the Door Randomizer randomizes where you go when you go through a door! How intuitive. Get it from http://smdoor.codeplex.com/

The first part of the game, from Ceres to the discovery of the Morph Ball and first missile battery, doesn't seem to get randomized. Only afterwards do the doors get shuffled. I have the randomization set to 100%, so no door will lead where it should, and the randomization is "global", so it'll warp anywhere between Crateria/Brinstar/Maridia/Norfair/Wrecked Ship. Tourian doesn't seem to be on deck.

Going back into a door you just came out of doesn't lead to the same room you just left. Otherwise the game would be theoretically unwinnable when every branch ends up leading to a dead-end.

As it is, it's only functionally unwinnable.

Last edited by R^2; 04-18-2015 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:58 AM
post-mystic lich princess

Something that would interestingly slot into this sort of thing as game-randomization are the Megaman Endless Mode romhacks, cribbing from 9's. Here (under IPS) are ones based off of 3, 4, and 5, and here is one based on 2. They contain a handful of series mix-ins and original rooms as well as the original ones, though (at minimum knowledge, 5's has Quickman's lasers...)

Could probably also argue that Rockman 4 Minus Infinity has a randomized mode in the form of its True Arena wayyyyy at the end of it, but that counts as a randomized version of a hack I guess.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:17 PM

So after beating Super Metroid with the Original item randomizer, and feeling more confident about my bomb jump and mockball skills, I decided to give the Current randomizer another try. Here's how it went:

*Gets Screw Attack and Space Jump at very start of the game* - seems promising...

*Can't find Morph Ball, cut off from everything, can't progress further than Spore Spawn* - considerably less promising.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:17 AM
Fishing for Felbloom

I took some time to hunt down the FE7 randomizer I mentioned upthread and mess around with it a little bit.

...It seems like a better idea in theory than in reality, honestly. The randomizer I used doesn't seem to have any failsafes for keeping you out of unwinnable situations. For example, if none of your first five characters spawns as a flier, you can't save the village in Chapter 3, which basically means you're up shit creek -- you don't get another infusion of money until Rath gives you his life savings at the end of Chapter 6, so you're forced to live off whatever weapons spawn in the starting inventories until then (which can include low-usage things like Devil's Axes and Halberds). The first Chapter of Hector's Story is literally unwinnable if neither Matthew nor Hector spawns as a Thief, because you need to unlock doors to get out and fight the boss.

It seems like it would require a lot of rerolling just to get a seed that's possible to win with at all, sadly, much less twist the game in an interesting direction. (Dorcas spawned as a Bandit instead of a Fighter! Ooh!)

Tags
nostalgia , random , randomizer , rom hacks , zelda