The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 05-17-2017, 10:05 AM
TARANTUL

Celes (98) Engulfing Twinstrike R3/Wateraga Strike R3
RM: Mako Might, SB: Indomitable Blade
Ramza (91) Full Beak R3/Magic Breakdown R4
RM: Dr. Mog's, SB: Shout
Vanielle (99) Curaja R5, Protectga R2
RM: Ace Striker, SB: Transcendent Dream
Tidus (99) Lifesiphon R5, Lifesiphon R4
RM: Dreamguide. SB: Energy Rain
Tyro (99) Wrath R4, Mental Breakdown R3
RM: Battleforged. SB: Keeper's Tome, SG.
RW: SSII.

Took two SLs. If I had gone to a third I'd have swapped out Wateraga Strike for Gaia Cross, to make phase 1 simpler (Celes would have no problem keeping Runic up without haste and everyone else can focus on damage). Tidus also could have brought powerchain and Vanielle could have brought megacure, but I was worried about Osmose.

I held back on Shout, had Ramza do the wall RW and a full break first, since she dispels haste. Got Tidus to just under two gauges and Tyro to one gauge and his BSB running before phase 2. With Full Break and Book of Retribution Tidus was doing 85k with his OSB. Phase three was harder than I expected thanks to all the dispels; Hellbiter hits really hard and the front line nearly dropped every time she used it. That's how she got Ramza, which made the last 10% of her life a pain when shout and the breaks ran out. But I just kept spamming Vanielle's instant cure every other round (and AoE cure in between) and eventually Tidus finished her with a fifth OSB for about 20k.

EDIT: Reading the AI now. Phase one doesn't have Osmose, and in fact doesn't have anything threatening at all with wall up. Best way to beat her would be just bring three wraths and sit there until you're fully gauged up, especially if you can rely on a BSB heal afterword you wouldn't even need Ace Striker/Battle-forged (may be good to put it on Tyro/Ysh to keep wall up while gaining gauge).

Last edited by Destil; 05-17-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:17 AM

Well, this is just guessing based off the relics revealed, but looks like Prompto is going to be a ranged support 5 type, and Aranea will be a combat 5/dragoon 5/darkness 5 melee. She's also a thunder dragoon like Kain, but her BSB/ultra look like they're thunder/dark.

And Noct gets ANOTHER really good SB with his SSB sword that gives all party members an instant action. He also gets a LMR with doublecast combat, like Cloud's final LM in his legendary sphere, but lower %. Though it feels like proc %s on LMs are irrelevant, since putting them in the main slot makes them trigger way more often anyway.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:29 AM
TARANTUL

How does she get dark? She's barely even a villian.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:50 AM

I don't know, but those are the two elements on her OSB/BSB/SSB.

Prompto gets quick cast machinist and imperil thunder on his ultra, and there's a new 5* machinist ability that looks like it's called Spark Offer, not really sure what it does. The event isn't live for another 15 hours or so.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:25 PM
TARANTUL

Only thing that isn't good on this banner is Rosa's Bow (and boy is it not good), so I did an 11x pull. Got two Cat Claws and a Hell Claw. Can't really complain about that, the BSB has a decent Command 2->1 combo and now I have imperil support for a Rydia/Ignus earth team.

But the game could at least let me dual wield them. Cat Claw/Hell Claw Yang is cannon.

No need to chase anything else, as much as I'd like Kain's spear or Cid's Hammer or Edward's Harp: next go for IV has Rosa USB on it, the only way I'm not throwing at least 100 mythril at that is if I get it in Extreme fest first.

EDIT: The Storm Spear on my 100 gem was cute, though.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:34 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Yeah, did a pull, did pretty good. Wanted Ceodore's BSB sord tho.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:29 AM

I got Abel's Lance for 100 gems and that's enough for me. I think we're maybe 2 events away from Cloud's ultra, and that's worth saving up the 200+ mithril I should have by then.

Also, Prompto and Aranea have nice ability sets.

Prompto: Combat 4, Celerity 4, Support 5, Machinist 5, Shooter 5
he can only equip daggers, bows, and guns, though that gives him decent weapon coverage in most realms

Aranea: Combat 5, Celerity 4, Dragoon 5, Darkness 5
she can only equip daggers, swords, and spears, but that's all you really need for a physical fighter

Prompto's ultra is a really nice imperil thunder and quick cast machinist mode, his BSB is instant cast random damage with power+armor breakdown and 2 nice damaging commands (both machinist, 1 is a 2 hit thunder/non armor breakdown, the other is a 4 hit thunder/non and 2 turns quick cast machinist), and his SSB 5 hits AOE thunder/non and hyper break.

So he's definitely a guy to use Tempest Snipe with if you get his relics.

Noct continues to be a really powerful fighter with some serious utility to his SBs. He's got a new SSB here that's instant AOE and then gives the party an instant action. So far, I think Gladio is the only really bad FF15 character in FFRK, because he's just kind of a tanky knight without the usual paladin support most tanky knights can bring.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:53 AM
TARANTUL

Spark Offer is terrible, though: 1.28/2 Lightning 35% chance to minor Imperil Lightning (10% lightning resist reduction for 15s). Believe minor imperil stacks with itself and major and can also have up to 5x stacks?
Old 05-19-2017, 11:26 AM

Yeah, that's actually a really good ability. Those half imperils stack with regular ones, and they've been used in burst modes before this.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:29 AM
TARANTUL

The ability is shit. The multipler and proc rate are too low for it to ever be worth using unless, maybe, you want to fish for a proc at the start of the fight with S/Ls so your mages can build gauge.

I can see if being pretty sweet with something like Agrias LRM (or is it Beatrix) where it's an added effect, but Spark Offer is never worth honing/using with these numbers.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
The ability is shit. The multipler and proc rate are too low for it to ever be worth using unless, maybe, you want to fish for a proc at the start of the fight with S/Ls so your mages can build gauge.
The ability isn't shit. This is just typical overreaction people have when they find out something is "only 35%" for a debuff to trigger. Except that this is a really good debuff to help build imperil stacks faster, and not poison or blind or something else you do for medals.

It would be easy to fit this into a lightning party with someone's imperil SB so you can help them build stacks. Running an elemental team, it's super obvious that you need more than one source of imperil to ramp up the damage. This lets you bring it on someone who doesn't have a SB for it (or who does, in the case of Prompto).

Full Break's damage isn't great and its debuff is weaker than breakdowns. Does that make it a shit ability? Powerchain's damage is bad, so does that make it a shit ability?
Old 05-19-2017, 01:07 PM
TARANTUL

Powerchain isn't exceptional outside of its Full Charge combo. Full Break isn't a damage dealing ability.

Let's say you R4 Spark Offer so you have 8 uses. Statistically you'll get 2.8 procs, let's round that up to 3 and front load them.

1.28 + 1.28×1.1 + 1.28×1.2 + 1.28×1.3 + 1.28×1.3 + 1.28×1.3 + 1.28×1.3 + 1.28×1.3 = 12.544x

Now let's say you instead just Tempest Snipe 8 times. 8x3.42 = 27.36x

This ignores the fact that, as a 15s debuff, shots 5 and 6 actually only get 2 and 1 stacks and 7 and 8 wont't get any. We're giving three extra procs over what's statistically likely to even get the numbers to where they are here.

Statically you're going to keep about one stack up (1.6 but you need to get the first two procs to reach that). So you're getting about 10% more damage from everyone else but your machinist's damage has dropped by over 55%. With three DPS that's something like dealing 88% your normal total damage. Yeah, you're building SB 50% faster, but any Lightning Imperil SB will do that as well (and they don't stack).

Last edited by Destil; 05-19-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:21 PM
Objection!

So, on my first pull for the new banner, I got Kain's BSB, Cid's SSB, and Edward's new harp. Not bad, but I was hoping for Ceodore.

With the mythril we just got in reparation for the connection problems last month, though, I got enough together to do a second pull and got Ceodore's BSB and SSB, and a second harp. Sorry, Cecil, but Ceodore's rolling right in now!
Old 05-19-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Powerchain isn't exceptional outside of its Full Charge combo. Full Break isn't a damage dealing ability.

Let's say you R4 Spark Offer so you have 8 uses. Statistically you'll get 2.8 procs, let's round that up to 3 and front load them.

1.28 + 1.28×1.1 + 1.28×1.2 + 1.28×1.3 + 1.28×1.3 + 1.28×1.3 + 1.28×1.3 + 1.28×1.3 = 12.544x

Now let's say you instead just Tempest Snipe 8 times. 8x3.42 = 27.36x

This ignores the fact that, as a 15s debuff, shots 5 and 6 actually only get 2 and 1 stacks and 7 and 8 wont't get any. We're giving three extra procs over what's statistically likely to even get the numbers to where they are here.

Statically you're going to keep about one stack up (1.6 but you need to get the first two procs to reach that). So you're getting about 10% more damage from everyone else but your machinist's damage has dropped by over 55%. With three DPS that's something like dealing 88% your normal total damage. Yeah, you're building SB 50% faster, but any Lightning Imperil SB will do that as well (and they don't stack).
I don't think it's an amazing ability, but I think classifying as terrible is wrong as well. Your not including all the bonus damage the other lightning dps characters on your team will do. Given that each of the 2 hits of SO grants a 35% chance of adding the debuff, each use should grant, on average, a 57% chance to add 10% damage to all your other lightning. That means if you can do around 45-55x multiplier while the debuff is up, you effectively have a 3.5-4x multiplier skill, which is very solid. 2x OSB's + 3x Tempest Snipe + a BSB and a couple of Lightning Jumps would get you there. I'd definitely combine SO and TS on the same character, using SO during the build up phase and TS during the burn phase (which not every boss fits into, but a lot do). Further, keep in mind that with the timer on magicite, one lucky attempt where it stacks quickly into your burn phase and thus lets you go fast is often better than a slightly higher amount of damage more consistently.

That said, it seems only useful in an elemental synergy build, and even there it's probably more work than just plinking away with pure Tempest Snipe would be. I think that the work required might be worth it some of the time, but I'll have to see where my orb state is before I go honing it once it's released.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:09 PM
Objection!

Let's also not forget that like... You CAN just use both Spark Offer AND Tempest Snipe together. It's not mutually exclusive. It instantly turns any Machinist into a solid fit for a lightning party, even if you don't have an on-element SB (or any at all) for them.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banach View Post
I'd definitely combine SO and TS on the same character, using SO during the build up phase and TS during the burn phase (which not every boss fits into, but a lot do).
I agree with that statement completely
Old 05-19-2017, 03:47 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banach View Post
That said, it seems only useful in an elemental synergy build, and even there it's probably more work than just plinking away with pure Tempest Snipe would be. I think that the work required might be worth it some of the time, but I'll have to see where my orb state is before I go honing it once it's released.
And that's my problem with it. It's not objectively bad but it's more work for less reward than Tempest Snipe, and in a game with big opportunity costs on honing a skill that's significant. It would have been a good 4* and light imperil would have been a good niche for future 4*s, but at 5 it's pretty questionable.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
(a bunch of math that misses the point)

Yeah, you're building SB 50% faster, but any Lightning Imperil SB will do that as well (and they don't stack).
They do stack, I've seen it happen with the fire version (Balthier's BSB2). They even tweeted a video that shows it stacking with Prompto's ultra. Again, this is like Full Break or another support skill: It will boost your party's damage alongside your imperil user's SB. Stop trying to value it as a damage skill and recognize what its purpose is.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:56 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Beat the Mandragora Apoc+, but nobody remembered to use a fire skill on the prince. *sigh* Oh well, give it another shot later.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:22 PM
Half-Ninja

Anyone here do multiplayer raids on iOS?
Old 05-20-2017, 07:46 PM
Objection!

A pair of sudden half-price Nightmare Lucky Draws popped up (Combat and Summon), and boy, they sure scored for me.

Summon gave me Asura Rod (4th...), Stoneblade (4th...) and Wizard Rod (Rydia OSB), while Combat gave me Survival Vest (1), Gabranth's Helmet, Defender (12) (2nd), and Excalibur (1) (WoL's OSB). Double disco ball is a pretty good haul!

I should also try to make use of this half-stamina event for the Nightmares to just go and finally finish them up.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:52 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
They do stack, I've seen it happen with the fire version (Balthier's BSB2). They even tweeted a video that shows it stacking with Prompto's ultra. Again, this is like Full Break or another support skill: It will boost your party's damage alongside your imperil user's SB. Stop trying to value it as a damage skill and recognize what its purpose is.
No their SB build dosen't stack.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:52 PM
TARANTUL

3/22 all dupes on the luckies. At least one was TGCOSB.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:54 PM
whatever it takes

I finished my last Nightmare today (Northern Cross); now I just have to re-do Valigarmanda and Meltdown for mastery.

The Nightmare Lucky Draws sure are tempting, especially the Summon one, but since they're around for almost a month I'm going to hold off and see how Cloud USB goes before I pull on them.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
No their SB build dosen't stack.
This doesn't even make sense. What are you trying to say?

I got the skill in JP now, so I can throw together a party with Lightning and any machinist to see. Every other instance of this operates exactly like the ability + regular imperil should, so if it doesn't, it's a bug. The way it works with others is like, imperil gives you a 1, ability proc puts a +, second proc boosts it up to 2.

edit: yeah it works just like I said it would.
here's a screenshot

Last edited by Bunk Moreland; 05-20-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:34 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Got Cyan BSB, second copy of Terra BSB, Braska SSB1 (the damaging one, not the faithga), and Eiko SSB. Not bad.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:35 PM

I only got 3 relics out of it and 2 of them were new.

Rydia OSB (pretty big waste, only relic I have for her), Fang SSB (the one that does ATK+MAG breakdowns to a single target), and then a dupe Cyan SSB.

I was so hyped for that disco ball to be Terra's OSB since I have her two SSBs already, but alas.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:29 PM
do-do-doo do-doo

I got Lann's OSB (from the summoner draw, even), and BSBs for Amarant and Edgar.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:51 PM
does the Underpants Dance

I got 2/22, a dupe Rydia BSB and Firion's en-Holy SSB (I have no other SBs for him). Pretty unfortunate use of 50 mythril.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:13 PM
graffiti programmer

Pulled once on FFIV banner 1 Friday ... then twice yesterday for the luckies. I got my mythril's worth for sure:

FFIV - Kain OSB, Ceodore BSB, Cid lightning imperil, Rosa SB
Combat - Agrias BSB, Dorgann SSB, Zell SSB2 (boost crit)
Summoner - Rydia BSB, Tiny Bee

Pretty good! Previously I only had earth imperil - now for earth teams I can replace Rinoa (BSB) with Rydia and include Tifa. Lightning imperil is a great match for Kain OSB (and Lightning Dive) and Shantotto BSB. Ceodore's BSB looks less impressive to me than it did when I heard about it on the JPN side but will be valuable for status fights. Holy imperil is the real prize for me - in addition to Ceodore, I've got Cecil BSB, Cid Raines BSB, and Hope OSB/BSB to mix and match.

And I've already got Yuna's BSB2 ... so at least Tiny Bee can be a stat stick and 10 more MND.

Tags
final fantasy , five dollar horse armor , freemium fantasy , gil toss , lamb meets slaughter , mobile , probability education , square enix , thin edge of the biggs , thin edge of the vicks , thin edge of the wedge