The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-29-2015, 08:46 PM
Smudged

Default Final Fantasy: Record Keeper

Roaming Warrior Friend Codes

Adam - [eTfa | Aerith | Healing Wind | Full Party cure]
Banach - [e13U | Wakka | Status Reels | Damage and reduce defenses]
Beezee - [es3v | Terra | Trance Fira | Hits all enemies | 238 Mag]
Breakman - [eGm6 | Lenna | Royal Devotion | Full Revive]
Lilfut - [9ERj | Tyro/Keeper | Healing Grimoire | Full party cure]
McClain - [97Xo | DK Cecil | Darkness]
Mightyblue - [FQRA | Cloud | Sonic Break]
Mogri - [erSo | Wakka | Status Reels | Damage and reduce defenses]
Sprite - [QN1v | Cloud | Braver | Big damage WOW]
Umbaglo - [eDsf | Celes | Magic Shield]
Vaeran - [9N4o | Cloud | Thunder Slash]

To those who don't know, Record Keeper is basically what happens when you take Puzzle and Dragons, scoop out the puzzle gameplay, slot in an ATB battle system, and fill the whole thing with fun 16-bit Final Fantasy sprites. The game has Square's bad habit of mis-matched resolution sprites, but on the whole it looks a million times better than the bastardized remakes of V and VI. It also plays a million times better than pap like All the Bravest.

It has plenty of flaws (I hate the UI and you have to wade through a lot before it starts requiring your brain), and the usual f2p quirks, but it's definitely my favorite original mobile Square game so far. How long I play it depends on how the drip feed of new content is dispensed. There's not a lot there at the moment, but the Japanese version has had tons of recruitable characters and dungeons. I believe the plan is to do one Event per week, which seems like a nice pace.

It's a shame that the game also has the poor ROI of Japanese f2p games. I'd totally drop some money on it because I like it, but $3 for a single gatcha pull is ludicrous.

Last edited by Sprite; 06-08-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:24 PM
so exciting!

at least your success isn't directly tied to the gatcha pulls like in PAD.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:36 PM
Objection!

Yeah, the cash conversion rate is insane. I wish they had some relatively regular way to get more mythril, even if it's slow. Like, if you could still get them from daily dungeons each week.

But it's still a lot of fun to just tinker with here and there. I've finally got my team ready to start diving through the Elite dungeons, though I still need some orbs from earlier dungeons to upgrade some abilities.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:15 PM
MOE~

I played it for a couple hours and it's exactly what you would think it would be. I like the concept. It's not terrible. But it's not great, either. It's Gachapon F2P Japanese Game Design de jour.

I would like to think there's a metaphor or some kind of message that can be taken away about Square-Enix and the history of the Final Fantasy franchise. On how its legacy currently thrives off being remixed inside of games such as these, Dissidia, and Theatrhythmn. About how Record Keeper is the Final Fantasy franchise seen through an acute lens of game design sensibilities and a reflection of the state of modern Japanese gaming. But I'm giving this way more thought than it deserves.

I deleted it from my phone, as I do with nearly every other F2P game I've downloaded.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:45 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

I liked it until I played long enough that I thought about upgrading weapons. Then I opened up the weapon upgrading screen and saw the Puzzles and Dragons UI abyss staring back at me. Now I will never play it again.

Someone has got to figure out a way to make upgrading/crafting systems better in this genre. I like fiddling around with crafting/breeding systems, but something about this style of doing it is intolerable to me. I should probably be grateful, because as someone who has wasted countless hours fusing SMT demons, a breeding/crafting system in an F2P game that is not a horrible grind with a terrible interface might just kill me.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:46 PM
Smudged

The first Event is scheduled to start tomorrow. It's Shinra Tower, which I hope is split into multiple dungeons and not just one really long one. You unlock Tifa halfway through and Sephiroth at the end. Seems like a decent chunk of content.

If it's the same as the Japanese version, it looks like it will also introduce enemies which you can only hit with ranged attacks or magic. Which is annoying, because I've been ignoring ranged attacks. Oops!
Old 03-31-2015, 06:07 PM
Objection!

I've been farming up orbs to make more magic abilities as well as upgrade them. Not sure how I'll set up my party. If not too many of the bosses are flying, then I might go Cloud/Kain/Tidus/Wakka/Rydia. If there's mostly flying, I'll probably use Ranger instead of Tidus, even if he's a lot weaker overall.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:41 PM
so exciting!

wakka can equip bows/chakrams
Old 03-31-2015, 06:48 PM
#deadfish2017

Yeah I put a chakram in Wakka, seemed the right course. Wish there was a blitzball weapon tho.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:34 PM
Yes, let's feast!

The Shinra Building event does a good job of capturing the tedium of walking those stairs.

Which is to say, yes, I'm going to try to unlock Sephiroth.

And I don't even like FF7 that much...
Old 04-01-2015, 06:39 AM
Sudden chomper

Is the Shinra tower a limited-time event? I've only played a little of this so far and I'm guessing that my party isn't strong enough to handle this dungeon, but I would like to eventually get those characters.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:47 AM
Smudged

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
Is the Shinra tower a limited-time event? I've only played a little of this so far and I'm guessing that my party isn't strong enough to handle this dungeon, but I would like to eventually get those characters.
It's around for about ten days, which is more than enough time to grind if you've got a mind to. I'd recommend at least playing up to Tifa, because getting her is easy and the event is pretty generous with orbs which are tedious to find otherwise.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:58 AM
Objection!

It's also nice that the next few floors after Tifa (which are still easy; around Normal Daily Dungeon difficulty) give a bunch of growth eggs to help level Tifa up. I wish the fist weapon you got from the event was FF7 and not FF3, but at least the armour is FF7.

A buddy was telling me before that if you have a party that is ~L25 (with some decent abilities, remembering that towards the end you need to fight lighting-weak flying bosses), you should be fine with getting all the way through. And even by halfway, you should get enough orbs from clearing the floors to be able to make Thunder and Thundara.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:25 PM
Smudged

Floor 40 has a nice chunk of Experience, too. It's comparable to a level in the daily Experience dungeon. I probably won't try Tifa out until I'm finished, though.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:35 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Floor 40 has a nice chunk of Experience, too. It's comparable to a level in the daily Experience dungeon. I probably won't try Tifa out until I'm finished, though.
Tifa gets the synergy bonus, though. I fed her eggs to level 7 and she was already outdamaging Kain and Wakka.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:36 PM
Smudged

Can Tifa use Jump? Because I need Kain for Jump.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:51 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Can Tifa use Jump? Because I need Kain for Jump.
No, but she makes a handy Wakka replacement. Tifa gets Combat 5, Monk 5, and Celerity 3; Wakka gets Combat 3, Celerity 3, and Support 5.

The game has been super stingy with Power Orbs, so I do not so much as have a Jump. Consider yourself lucky.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:10 PM
Smudged

I need Wakka for ranged attacks, though. My kingdom for Balthier~

Though, yes, I've been super lucky. My Buster Sword is going to guarantee Cloud a spot in my party for a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Tifa gets Combat 5, Monk 5, and Celerity 3; Wakka gets Combat 3, Celerity 3, and Support 5.
What are these, what's going on, where do I find them?
Old 04-01-2015, 01:18 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
I need Wakka for ranged attacks, though. My kingdom for Balthier~

Though, yes, I've been super lucky. My Buster Sword is going to guarantee Cloud a spot in my party for a long time.

What are these, what's going on, where do I find them?
Press and hold a character in the party screen and tap the "Usable" button. Tidus gets Combat 4, Support 3, and Celerity 5, so there's lots of overlap between Tidus, Wakka, and Tifa. But why do you care about ranged attacks? Does it make a difference, or do you just have some good ranged weapons?

It means they can equip skills from that school with up to that many stars. Jump is from the Dragoon school (surprise), and only Kain and Keeper have that school.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:26 PM
Smudged

Oh man, I had no idea. Thanks for the info! That will make party planning a lot easier.
Quote:
But why do you care about ranged attacks? Does it make a difference, or do you just have some good ranged weapons?
There are enemies which melee attacks can't touch, which means you either have to hope you have enough magic to kill them, or keep a ranged attacker in your back pocket. I've got the Keeper using a Harp but he's also on healing duty.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:47 PM
Objection!

Quote:
The game has been super stingy with Power Orbs, so I do not so much as have a Jump. Consider yourself lucky.
Today's daily dungeon has been very good about giving out up to 3* orbs in the "non-elemental" category on Normal difficulty, which includes Power.

I managed to get a Jump from before this, though. I probably should use today to farm more to upgrade Jump, but I want to work on the event dungeons more since it's also helping with upgrading Thundaga and Thunder Strike.

And speaking of Jump, a friend was doing testing with his, and Jump is roughly 50% more powerful then Kain's Double Jump limit break, which I certainly found amusing.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:39 PM
the :motion: stands

Wait there are actually abilities for non-mages?

fuck.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:17 PM
hi there

My biggest gripe: the delay between entering the attack command and actually attacking is pretty wide. More than once I've been caught attacking into a counter because of it.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:11 PM
Smudged

Got Sephiroth. That event was really easy for me until the last dungeon, where I came really close to a party wipe. My defense needs a lot of work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
My biggest gripe: the delay between entering the attack command and actually attacking is pretty wide. More than once I've been caught attacking into a counter because of it.
Those counters happen on a pattern, usually every three or four rounds.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:19 PM
Objection!

Apparently the boss is super weak to Blind, which kind of trivializes it. I finished farming up for Dark Attack, so I'm just waiting for my stamina to recharge to give the last batch of floors a shot.

But yeah, the delay between entering a command and it applying is frustrating as hell.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:24 PM
Smudged

The problem wasn't the boss so much as the fact that I was almost out of Cure and Cura by the time I reached him. He went down fast.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:33 PM
hi there

Quote:
Those counters happen on a pattern, usually every three or four rounds.
It doesn't help on the first time you run into it and you get floored!
Old 04-02-2015, 01:34 PM
Yes, let's feast!

People use Cure? I just have four attackers plus Rydia with Thunder/Thundara.

Who are your mages and what do they do?
Old 04-02-2015, 02:52 PM
Smudged

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
It doesn't help on the first time you run into it and you get floored!
True. They're relying a bit too much on people's memories from the old games.
Quote:
People use Cure? I just have four attackers plus Rydia with Thunder/Thundara.

Who are your mages and what do they do?
I use the Keeper for healing, since he can hit a lot harder than the White Mage.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:17 PM
Indecisive Epicure

I've been using a White Mage up to this point, but their main focus has just been keeping Rydia alive, but their Prayer limit break was pretty essential to me when I first started doing the Normal Dailies. My party's kinda' moved past the need for a healer for now, and I've just been auto-fighting my way through Shinra Tower so far, so I went ahead and swapped out the White Mage for Tifa to get her some XP. Around Lv25 for all non-Tifas, and on floor 33 of the tower, still auto-fighting.

I had also been keeping the White Mage around for Blindna, though. So far seems like Blind is the only status ailment worth worrying about. Wasting turns hurts rankings a lot worse than taking tiny poison damage, but I've just gone ahead and moved Blindna onto Tyro/Keeper for now.

Tags
final fantasy , five dollar horse armor , freemium fantasy , gil toss , lamb meets slaughter , mobile , probability education , square enix , thin edge of the biggs , thin edge of the vicks , thin edge of the wedge