The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 05-19-2017, 11:44 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Here you go, with numbers and charts! (mostly charts because NDAs)

Note that Steam has significantly changed how they do Visibility Rounds since that was written -- they're much worse now.

Also, that's written from the point of view of a developer whose game has been on Steam for a long time. This is just a guess, but Discovery probably works better on games where Steam has established data patterns. On the other hand, this is also a developer who pays an unusual amount of attention to the business end of Steam. Like, he was going to pay me out-of-pocket to create SteamSpy, but then someone else did it and saved us both the trouble.

Speaking of which, SteamSpy and SteamDB are excellent resources for anyone who intends to educate themselves on actual numbers here. Don't just trust anecdotal evidence -- that includes Lars as well as any other developers you might speak to.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:21 PM
Butt of Polack jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
Another thing the article touches on is that Valve hasn't really done anything substantive recently. As someone I follow on twitter said,
Steam Controller and Steam Controller API (say hello to input redefinition for all of your gamepads) say hi.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:38 PM
the :motion: stands

That was a rad read. Thanks for linking it, Mogri.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:50 PM
meaningless Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
"good guy valve" doesn't exist, nobody has ever thought of or said this.
When I hated myself enough to visit Reddit regularly several years ago, I was a constant witness to evidence of the very opposite being true. I mean, seriously, they fucking worshipped Steam over there.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:06 AM
Video World 14 is out!

Nobody appreciably human
Old 05-20-2017, 02:12 PM
Wannabe Indie Game Dev

OK, thanks Mogri. That's the thread that I thought I had read.

SteamSpy is nice, but it doesn't show too much info (I think only a month's worth of data is visible for each game). Don't use SteamDB much - I'll have to check it out.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:05 PM
Yes, let's feast!

SteamSpy is geared towards estimating sales numbers, where SteamDB is more general. I haven't used it much, but it has a really cool history function that lets you see every little change to a game's metadata -- every time they've changed their release date, description, tags, and so forth.

If you're interested in the business end of gamedev, Lars and I have been working on a project in our spare time. Right now, he's organizing it by hand with open signups, but I'm working on getting the whole thing automated. You should be able to play it on the website within a month or two.

Tags
alyssa milano: teen steam , f2p ca$$h , gabe cube , gay agenda , let off some steam bennet , pc games , pc gaming , playsteamtion , steam , steamcast , steamhead was right , steamy windows , valve