The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 12-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Family Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin View Post
can't tell if serious
Deadly!

*edit* Found it!

I'm not making a good case for being my Steam Friend, am I?
Old 12-30-2012, 06:15 PM
MOE~

One of us, one of us.

Gooble gobble gooble gobble.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
It's done. I am part of Steam. A new era has begun.

My handle is Shakewell3, the same as my PSN account. Be my friend!

Okay, how do I log out?
Apple-Q?
Old 12-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Family Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
Why would you want to log out of Steam?
I thought that's what I'm supposed to do when I'm done with any service? Is it okay to always be signed up?
Old 12-30-2012, 06:47 PM
heh

Quote:
I thought that's what I'm supposed to do when I'm done with any service? Is it okay to always be signed up?
It's a chat client and it automatically updates games in your collection... I don't see any reason to ever shut it down. It's not like it uses much bandwidth unless it's updating a game.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:51 PM
Family Man

What about when I need to turn off the computer? This is the first outside application I've ever downloaded, so I'm hazy on the details.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:54 PM
beech i told u

Quote:
What about when I need to turn off the computer? This is the first outside application I've ever downloaded, so I'm hazy on the details.
It'll close on its own. :P
Old 12-30-2012, 06:57 PM
heh

Computers are pretty smart these days. Unless it's a program where you're editing something that needs to be saved before you close it, it's pretty safe to just shut down the computer and everything will close on its own without much trouble.
Family Man

Neat. I truly do appreciate Talking Time's eternal patience when it comes to dealing with my worry addled mind.
:O

Quote:
How old are you?
oh my car

There's a difference between "signed up" (i.e. you have an account) and "signed in" (i.e. you are using the service currently).

You must be signed in to play Steam games; Steam does nothing if you are not signed in. The Steam program is an interface that executes social services, includes the digital storefront, manages game installations, and launches games. There is generally no reason not to have Steam open constantly, as being signed in allows your friends to message you and vice versa. If you don't want to be available, then just exit Steam (make sure you haven't just minimized it - I do not know specifically where this command is located on a Mac, but I'm sure it's somewhere sensible). When shutting down the computer, Steam should close itself.

You don't need to specifically sign out, ever, unless you want to let somebody else sign in to their own Steam account on your computer. Set it to automatically sign you in when you start Steam unless you are worried about somebody stealing your computer and subsequently having access to your Steam account.

There is one thing you should be worried about, fraudwise: very rarely you will get a Steam chat message from a scammer claiming to be from Valve or require some account information from you. You can tell this is a scammer because account management is never, ever conducted via Steam chat. Even if you do make the rookie mistake of falling for such a transparent ruse, lasting damage can be prevented by enabling Steamguard, which requires you to specifically authorize other computers to sign in to your account. Steamguard is enabled by default but you may wish to go into the Settings menu and check.

Incidentally, nobody mentioned this: in addition to credit cards and Steam gift cards, you can also make Steam purchases via Paypal.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Family Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
How old are you?
Old enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
There's a difference between "signed up" (i.e. you have an account) and "signed in" (i.e. you are using the service currently).

You must be signed in to play Steam games; Steam does nothing if you are not signed in. The Steam program is an interface that executes social services, includes the digital storefront, manages game installations, and launches games. There is generally no reason not to have Steam open constantly, as being signed in allows your friends to message you and vice versa. If you don't want to be available, then just exit Steam (make sure you haven't just minimized it - I do not know specifically where this command is located on a Mac, but I'm sure it's somewhere sensible). When shutting down the computer, Steam should close itself.
So if I just hit close on the Steam Window, without manually logging out, I'm still logged in? That's important to know.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:11 PM
beech i told u

Quote:
So if I just hit close on the Steam Window, without manually logging out, I'm still logged in? That's important to know.
Use Apple+Tab (and continue holding the Apple button) to bring up the Running Applications Menu. If Steam is there, you're still logged in.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:15 PM
oh my car

Quote:
This is true of all Mac applications. The window does not represent the program. The actual Quit command is in the menu.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:12 AM
Daber.txt

I heard that if you tilt the steam cartridge sideways while you have it on you can get every game for free.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:33 AM
TARANTUL

There's no real point to logging out if you're not using a shared PC. But if you want to not be connected to the service you can switch to 'offline mode' from the menu.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:28 AM
Family Man

I have twenty bucks in my Steam Wallet and I'm ready to spend some of it. I saw that the games pages said I need the latest Flash upgrade to show. Is that just for the page or do I need Flash for the games as well, because I thought Flash was on it's way out?
Old 12-31-2012, 11:31 AM
Let's go exploring!

That's just to display the videos that demo the game on its store page. In general (and sometimes annoyingly) a game will install all its dependencies the first time you run said game.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Space dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troa11 View Post
In general (and sometimes annoyingly) a game will install all its dependencies the first time you run said game.
This is a good thing to point out and know. Expect a wait of a few minutes the first time you start up a game.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:49 AM
EARTH FOREVER

You should totally buy Bastion if you haven't played it before. Do it do it.

Also, please continue to flip out.

EDIT: Wait, how can you use a mac and not know about command+Q?
Old 12-31-2012, 11:58 AM
does the Underpants Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epithet View Post
EDIT: Wait, how can you use a mac and not know about command+Q?
Need I say it?
Old 12-31-2012, 12:07 PM
TARANTUL

Hey, come on guys. Let's not be one of those forums. Computers are pretty arcane, really, even with something like a Mac with design that focuses on UI and usability (in fact, I'd go so far as to argue that not binding a program to the interface and requiring crtl+q to exit is weirder than in windows, where the window and program are generally functionally merged and closing one kills the other).
Old 12-31-2012, 12:40 PM
Family Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epithet View Post
You should totally buy Bastion if you haven't played it before. Do it do it.
I got Bastion for my 360 a while ago. One of the best games of last year, I'd say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Hey, come on guys. Let's not be one of those forums. Computers are pretty arcane, really, even with something like a Mac with design that focuses on UI and usability (in fact, I'd go so far as to argue that not binding a program to the interface and requiring crtl+q to exit is weirder than in windows, where the window and program are generally functionally merged and closing one kills the other).
Nah, I deserve it. I have terrible anxiety, among other problems, and that anxiety has kept me from doing a lot of things in my life, one of which is getting good at computers for fear of messing them through incompetence.
I got this Mac because of it's reputation for being a safer and easier alternative to PC's, yet I'm still wracked with worry over every little thing.

I'm glad people brought up Command+Q to close programs, as I forgot all about it and have just been clicking X on the Steam Window when I'm done.

Anyway, I saw that Binding of Isaac is on sale today. What's the verdict on it?
Old 12-31-2012, 12:41 PM
Yes, let's feast!

No, it's exactly because Macs focus on UI/usability that their userbase doesn't have as much power-user representation.

But then (and somewhat shockingly), not every Windows user knows about Ctrl-C*. In the Mouse Age, keyboard shortcuts are for people who perform the same task repeatedly; occasional users are content to right-click or go to the Edit menu.

* But before you scoff, did you know about Ctrl-Insert / Ctrl-Delete / Shift-Insert?
Old 12-31-2012, 12:44 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Super fantastic. Was my game of the year for 2011. Full of gross things like baby corpses and bile and blood and shit, but they're all cute.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:49 PM
oh my car

A thing to realize about computers is that once you have developed an internal model of their behavior, you will have no need to fear that you'll break it, because you will be able to tell immediately why it's doing what it's doing.

Quote:
Get it, and the expansion, and the soundtrack. Strong candidate for best game of 2011. Will help with your anxiety problems by being gross and forcing you to commit to your decisions. Put a hundred hours into it and still play it regularly two years down the line.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:51 PM
Family Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
Super fantastic. Was my game of the year for 2011. Full of gross things like baby corpses and bile and blood and shit, but they're all cute.
Cool. Isaac and Lone Survivor were the games, aside from Hotline Miami, that I've been very eager to play once I got Steam.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:53 PM
Not A Low-Level Life Form

I gotta say, BoI uses up resources something fierce for being 2D. 'Course, my computer is old as dirt with a half-way competent video compumancied on to it. Excellent, though. Also, the expansion is a must. The difference in amount of content is like night and day.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:56 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Well, that's because Flash is terrible, and almost as bad for Java for games in particular, but any kind of media.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:11 PM
Family Man

I bought Isaac, along with Lone Survivor, and I still have $13 left!? These prices are literally insane compared to the console's online offerings!

Seven hours to download Isaac!? Wait, "At 20 KB a second"? My Internet's speed is a lot faster than that. Is that just for comparison?

Tags
alyssa milano: teen steam , f2p ca$$h , gabe cube , gay agenda , let off some steam bennet , pc games , pc gaming , playsteamtion , steam , steamcast , steamhead was right , steamy windows , valve