The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 12-09-2012, 04:49 PM
It's all good, man

I don't see where the interview actually has Gabe saying "We are releasing this thing."
Old 12-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotaku
"I think in general that most customers and most developers are gonna find that [the PC is] a better environment for them," Newell told me. "Cause they won't have to split the world into thinking about 'why are my friends in the living room, why are my video sources in the living room different from everyone else?' So in a sense we hopefully are gonna unify those environments."

Newell said he's expecting a lot of different companies to release these types of packages—"We'll do it but we also think other people will as well," he told me—and that Valve's hardware might not be as open-source or as malleable as your average computer.

"Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment," he said. "If you want more flexibility, you can always buy a more general purpose PC. For people who want a more turnkey solution, that's what some people are really gonna want for their living room.

"The nice thing about a PC is a lot of different people can try out different solutions, and customers can find the ones that work best for them."
From here. A bit vague, more like "we're planning to someday." But he did say it.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:13 PM
y cant axiom crawl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I don't see where the interview actually has Gabe saying "We are releasing this thing."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kotaku Article
Newell said he's expecting a lot of different companies to release these types of packages—"We'll do it but we also think other people will as well," he told me—and that Valve's hardware might not be as open-source or as malleable as your average computer.

"Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment," he said. "If you want more flexibility, you can always buy a more general purpose PC. For people who want a more turnkey solution, that's what some people are really gonna want for their living room.
Edit: Ninja'd!
Old 12-09-2012, 11:21 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
If the price is right and I can have access to a lot more games than I would on Mac's Steam store than sign me up!
Since it seems to be Linux-based, then it will probably run even fewer games than Steam for Mac does.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:09 AM
Soybean Powder Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
Since it seems to be Linux-based, then it will probably run even fewer games than Steam for Mac does.
Yeah, out of my 33 games, two are currently available on Linux - and one of them doesn't work.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:39 AM
Sudden chomper

Don't the majority of Humble Bundle games work in Linux? That's like 40 games right there.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:28 AM
Let's go exploring!

Say what you want about Valve, but they're not stupid. Releasing a Linux-based box for Steam at this point, or even in the next year would be a gamble on par with the OUYA. There just aren't the AAA games to support it I think.

I believe Valve is working hard on Linux because they're smart and don't like the way the winds are blowing for Windows, but they can't force developer support.

So, I also believe that if they're going to release a set-top box, it's got to be the most compatible it can be and therefore is going to have to run some form of Windows for now. If you're looking to sell to Mr. Uninformed Consumer to make things easier for him to play computer games, imagine what's going to happen when he buys this box and then finds out 90%+ of the games he wants to play won't run on it. I just think that it wouldn't be very wise at this point to do otherwise.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:26 PM
y cant axiom crawl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troa11 View Post
... So, I also believe that if they're going to release a set-top box, it's got to be the most compatible it can be and therefore is going to have to run some form of Windows for now.
I don't know. Is Valve really going to want to pay Microsoft for a Windows license on each of the boxes they ship, as well as deal with the restrictions Microsoft places on the changes that OEMs are allowed to make to the software installation and first-time setup process? There is no way that anything running Windows is going to be a real "turnkey" solution.

Quote:
If you're looking to sell to Mr. Uninformed Consumer to make things easier for him to play computer games, imagine what's going to happen when he buys this box and then finds out 90%+ of the games he wants to play won't run on it.
I take your point, but isn't that exactly what happens right now if the uninformed consumer goes out and buys a Wii U?

I guess it really comes down to whether Valve is talking about selling a pre-configured Windows home theater PC, which just happens to have Steam and Big Picture pre-installed, or whether they are talking about selling a streamlined console-like set-top-box appliance.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent Vector View Post
I take your point, but isn't that exactly what happens right now if the uninformed consumer goes out and buys a Wii U?
I guess I'd never really thought of it in those terms but you are exactly right.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Let's go exploring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent Vector View Post
I don't know. Is Valve really going to want to pay Microsoft for a Windows license on each of the boxes they ship, as well as deal with the restrictions Microsoft places on the changes that OEMs are allowed to make to the software installation and first-time setup process? There is no way that anything running Windows is going to be a real "turnkey" solution.
I had considered this as well, at the very least it would bump up the cost of the unit. But I dunno, I just think it would be more of a disaster to not go that route.

Believe me, I'd love to have the box be free of Windows, but I more would prefer that it plays the games I want, since that would be the point of the thing.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:37 AM

I'm not sure how feasible it is both technically and maybe even legally; but perhaps Valve could put some effort into integrating WINE into Steam for Linux to get some Windows only games to run at at an acceptable level?

Another option might be working with CodeWeavers makers of the CrossOver software to integrate it with Steam for Linux? It's a commercial product as opposed to a open-source one, so maybe Valve would feel better using it then navigating the labyrinth of issues that come with integrating GPL type projects into commercial products.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

I've been kicking around the idea of building a PC but I don't know if I can hold out til Valve puts one out.

Knowing Valve, I bet it comes out with specs capable of running stuff for the next two years and Valve will periodically inform you of easy hardware upgrades. Basically they'll simplify the hardware upgrade side the way they've done it for the software side.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:06 PM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balrog View Post
Basically they'll simplify the hardware upgrade side the way they've done it for the software side.
Man, I would love that so much.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Set phasers to hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairu View Post
I'm not sure how feasible it is both technically and maybe even legally; but perhaps Valve could put some effort into integrating WINE into Steam for Linux to get some Windows only games to run at at an acceptable level?

Another option might be working with CodeWeavers makers of the CrossOver software to integrate it with Steam for Linux? It's a commercial product as opposed to a open-source one, so maybe Valve would feel better using it then navigating the labyrinth of issues that come with integrating GPL type projects into commercial products.
Wine is LGPL, not vanilla GPL, which alleviates the issues considerably.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balrog View Post
Valve will periodically inform you of easy hardware upgrades. Basically they'll simplify the hardware upgrade side the way they've done it for the software side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Man, I would love that so much.
You and me both!
Old 12-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Family Man

I have another question regarding Steam. Perhaps the most important question. Can I play Hotline Miami on my Mac?
Old 12-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Too Much TV Game

Not at the moment, though the developers have said a port is coming soon.

The difference in library on PC/Mac isn't actually all that shattering with Steam. FTL has a Mac port, Hotline Miami will soon have a port and most of the "smaller" games have ports. It's really a nice perk that you get both the Mac and PC versions of games when you purchase them on Steam.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
I have another question regarding Steam. Perhaps the most important question. Can I play Hotline Miami on my Mac?
No.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:40 AM
Family Man

I'm looking to download the Steam store this week. I have more questions.

I bought my Mac in April of 2011, will it be able to run Steam?

Do I need a credit card for Steam?

What is the first game I should buy?
Old 12-30-2012, 09:22 AM
Not A Low-Level Life Form

Quote:
I bought my Mac in April of 2011, will it be able to run Steam?
Probably! I've never heard of a machine incapable of running the store itself.

Quote:
Do I need a credit card for Steam?
Nope! You can buy Steam cards from Gamestop. And only Gamestop.

Quote:
What is the first game I should buy?
Team Fortress 2. 'Cause it's free. After that... Well, the library is 1864 games strong, ranging from as early as King's Quest 1 and as new as whatever came out yesterday. Also I don't know your tastes in games offhand.

Also, Ninja'd.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:06 PM
Family Man

I'm downloading it right now!

*edit*When I clicked "download", I got a message saying this type of file can harm my computer! What!? How!?
Old 12-30-2012, 12:15 PM
King Of Space-Time

It will siphon funds from your PC upgrade budget. Your PC is protecting it's interests
Old 12-30-2012, 12:18 PM
Family Man

But I have a Mac!

Maybe I should use the Time Machine function before I do this. No, first I need to figure out how to use the Time Machine function.

I need to lie down for bit.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:21 PM
TARANTUL

I would guess it's because it's an executable.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:40 PM
beech i told u

Quote:

*edit*When I clicked "download", I got a message saying this type of file can harm my computer! What!? How!?
It's because it's an executable file (ie. it can run and make changes to your computer).

Trust me when I say that Steam is safe. It's a generic message to make sure you realise what it does. There used to be (and still are) Windows virii that hid their nature by pretending to be picture files, or document files. You really don't have to worry about this.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:51 PM
Love and Peace

If you got the file from steampowered.org (the official Steam site), it's probably legit.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:
But I have a Mac!

Maybe I should use the Time Machine function before I do this. No, first I need to figure out how to use the Time Machine function.

I need to lie down for bit.
You are freaking out ENTIRELY too much over this whole thing.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Family Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
You are freaking out ENTIRELY too much over this whole thing.
In three years of Talking Time, have I ever not over-reacted about computer issues?

I trust you guys, and if you say Steam is safe then I'm going for it.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Family Man

It's done. I am part of Steam. A new era has begun.

My handle is Shakewell3, the same as my PSN account. Be my friend!

Okay, how do I log out?
Old 12-30-2012, 05:42 PM
:O

Can't tell if serious

Tags
alyssa milano: teen steam , f2p ca$$h , gabe cube , gay agenda , let off some steam bennet , pc games , pc gaming , playsteamtion , steam , steamcast , steamhead was right , steamy windows , valve