The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 06-13-2012, 11:20 PM
Banned

I got my Kindle almost a year ago and I love it. Living in Japan, import books usually see a 20-30% markup, and the space taken up by bookshelves hurts even more in the ridiculously small apartments we live in over here. If I could, I would junk every book I own and use that space for something else.

There's one aspect of the new age of e-readers that I think people are overlooking: they make a great gift for your baby boomer relatives who swear to never, ever abandon the printed book. They're affordable enough that you can give a few of them as gifts every year and they pack a lot of the "once you have it, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it" factor. I gave a Kindle touch to my mom in May for her birthday and she loves it. Everyone I have ever showed my Kindle to tries to touch the screen only to be disappointed in its lack of touchsceen functions, so I wised up and bought her a Touch.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Not even a *nice* duck!

Just got my new Kindle 4G to replace my 3G that was quickly breaking down. I very much like it! The lack of keyboard makes it so much smaller and lighter, and I don't miss the physical keyboard at all. This is the first time I've dealt with "Special Offers", but they don't seem like they'll bother me just being on the menu.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:35 PM
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Flash View Post
I got my Kindle almost a year ago and I love it. Living in Japan, import books usually see a 20-30% markup
This is my main reason for loving my Kindle. A paperback book here in Australia can cost $20+ at times, which is absurd. Before the Kindle I was ordering overseas from Amazon and even with shipping it ended up saving me money.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:38 PM
There's no thread shortag

I'm using my Sony PRS-T1 (or whatever its model is) mainly to read the pulp collection I've stored in the cellar. No more running downstairs to fish out the next "books".
Old 07-06-2012, 09:00 AM
GASP

My bought-at-launch Nook is starting to act up. About half the time when I hit the page forward button it goes forward two pages instead of one.

I kind of want to get the latest model, especially for the battery life (I get 2-3 days), but I think my baby is going to have to get way more quirky before I start thinking about replacement.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Pixel pusher

We got a Kindle 2 back when it came out, and in general I enjoy it -- I prefer the e-ink screen for reading over a computer screen, even if the Kindle interface is super clunky. The thing is, though, most of the time a book I'm looking for either doesn't have a Kindle version or the paperback version costs the same as digital, so 99% of the time I'm not using the Kindle. Fast forward to my problem: even with the wifi off and the Kindle turned off (not in sleep mode or indexing), the battery still discharges down to a critical battery failure screen after two or so weeks of non-use. I've been able to plug it in and recharge it, but apparently if it sits too long in the critical mode, the device can be unrepairable. Is this just the nature of an e-reader? I looked up and down Amazon faqs without learning anything, but it seems like a weird flaw that the device can drain its batteries enough to damage them permanently.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:56 PM
gatchapon 3*

If you haven't decided yet, you want a nook.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
If you haven't decided yet, you want a nook.
hah, I saw that. The play can't be any good...
Old 10-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Unreliable Narrator

I think I'm putting the new Kindle Paperwhite on my Christmas list. I have the Kindle Keyboard (which is pretty nice) but I'm usually reading in the evening and have to use an awkward gooseneck LCD lamp on the bedpost and it would be worth the upgrade just to not need that. Higher res e-ink is good too.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Inscaper

cough
Old 10-07-2012, 09:50 AM
GASP

I'm saving up to replace my first-gen Nook and am trying to decide between the Kindle Paperwhite and Nook Glow.

See my extremely anal side-by-side comparison spreadsheet here.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:17 AM
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droewyn View Post
I'm saving up to replace my first-gen Nook and am trying to decide between the Kindle Paperwhite and Nook Glow.
Early reviews say the lighting is implemented better on the Kindle. I'd like to see a demo unit and I guess Best Buy will have them eventually, but haven't read any reports of them in the wild yet.

Also with the tiny touch-controlled models, you want to find a sleeve/case holder that's comfortable to hold so you can keep your fingers away from the screen.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:19 AM

I really, really love my paperwhite so far. The light quality is very high,

If you haven't seen the kindle ads in practice, find one in the wild. The ads only show up when you're not using it. I understand having dealbreakers, but they're pretty darn unobtrusive.

I don't mind the power adapter because I've got all the iphone power adapters with USB plugs, which work fine.

It fits in my pocket well, which I wasn't expecting.

The touchscreen responsiveness is really good. I can type full speed (for a handheld touchscreen).

If you're an amazon prime member, having a physical kindle gets you one free kindle lending library lent book a month (mostly less well known stuff, though I've started the Mongoliad).

Both the protection plans are clearly bad buys unless you are gadget-breakage prone.

Amazon includes substantial (5GB) of cloud storage and delivery for personal documents. Just send an email (from an authorized email address) with a document attached to a particular address and the document will not just appear on your kindle next it has a connection, but be available for downloading anywhere connected to your kindle account.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugu13 View Post
I really, really love my paperwhite so far. The light quality is very high
I would have had one of these at launch if my wife hadn't seen me with the Amazon page up and said "why don't you save something for Christmas?"
Old 10-07-2012, 10:53 AM
GASP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grignr View Post
Early reviews say the lighting is implemented better on the Kindle. I'd like to see a demo unit and I guess Best Buy will have them eventually, but haven't read any reports of them in the wild yet.

Also with the tiny touch-controlled models, you want to find a sleeve/case holder that's comfortable to hold so you can keep your fingers away from the screen.
I've read that the lighting is better on the Paperwhite (I WILL keep mistyping it as "Paperweight"). I haven't seen the Kindles live yet, but I have seen the Nooks, and they look okay. I don't expect to use the light very often, I just figured that if I'm going to be shelling out for a new reader I should spend the $20 and get the neat new feature as well.

Basically, by my reckoning, Kindle has a nicer looking display and better lighting. Nook has ... everything else. Especially cost: it'll run $40 more to get the Kindle when I figure in AC adapter and protection plan.

I'm a fan of M-Edge cases. Case + book stand is my preferred method of reading. Curled up on the couch is a close second.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:02 PM
Returned to Light

I myself am struggling with the e-reader dilemma as within the next year I will be moving cross-country, and depending on how I end up getting everything there, the massive weight of my book collection may or may not be a massive problem price-wise.

My mom got a Kindle herself recently, and I have in fact got to mess about with it. I had to configure it for her, get her some samples, and other programmery, and she loves it. I even got her to get the Sword of Shannara trilogy as one of her first purchases, and she's really getting into that also.

As for me, aside from the concern over having to move that behemoth, I also have trouble getting rid of something so wonderfully simple as physical books. I'm not sure about my long-term adjustment to an e-reader, and I already have a full and overflowing shelf of hardbacks I have acquired over the years, including the entire Shannara series (some of which are autographed), and a nearly complete Dave Barry hardback collection. Those I know I wouldn't get rid of even if I could carry them around with me digitally, and I'd hate re-buying books I already have just for the added convenience. This is all a bit silly as I readily embraced steam and other digital game platforms, including my first day one 3DS purchase of New Super Mario Bros. 2, and I have in-fact bought games I already owned just for the minor upgrades and to not have to swap things about. Maybe I'm just weird.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasia Knights View Post
As for me, aside from the concern over having to move that behemoth, I also have trouble getting rid of something so wonderfully simple as physical books. I'm not sure about my long-term adjustment to an e-reader, and I already have a full and overflowing shelf of hardbacks I have acquired over the years, including the entire Shannara series (some of which are autographed), and a nearly complete Dave Barry hardback collection. Those I know I wouldn't get rid of even if I could carry them around with me digitally, and I'd hate re-buying books I already have just for the added convenience. This is all a bit silly as I readily embraced steam and other digital game platforms, including my first day one 3DS purchase of New Super Mario Bros. 2, and I have in-fact bought games I already owned just for the minor upgrades and to not have to swap things about. Maybe I'm just weird.
No, you're not. If the world's electronics will ever cease to work, you won't be able to play any more video games, regardless of you having them physical or digital. Real books, on the other hand...
Old 10-14-2012, 05:51 AM
We just don't know.

Seconding that ads are not a dealbreaker. You see an ad at the bottom of the home screen and when you put the kindle into sleep mode, and that's it. In fact, if you keep it disconnected from wireless long enough (a few days, not at all uncommon for me anyway), it runs out of ads and you get a screensaver (with a note asking you to reconnect).
Old 10-14-2012, 06:04 AM
GASP

I bought a book scanner (difference: scanning surface goes to the edge) and have been slowly digitizing my collection. Emphasis on sloooowly. Doing this on my own I really begin to get why this service basically costs as much as it would cost to just buy a replacement copy.

I've got about 1500 physical books. The ones I have digital copies of are in boxes in my in-laws' basement. The others are on shelves here. After three years of Nook ownership, I'm starting to seriously consider offloading my collection. I'm... just not going to read them again. Not physically. There are some autographed books I'll keep, and some editions I'm particularly sentimental for, but other than that... they're just taking up space.

The only problem is convincing my hindbrain that 1) the apocalypse is not going to come and 2) if it does, I'll have more pressing issues than whether I can still read Asimov's Foundation series. Because carting around 40 Staples copy paper boxes full of books does not a survivor make.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:55 AM

Something that may be news to ebook hungry people, and that I just discovered myself: Baen has an ebook store, and while they apparently believe that usability and graphic design are of the devil, it's got some great stuff at great prices. In particular, check out the Monthly Baen Bundles and Book Bundles sections. Also, they make it pretty easy to deliver them by email to your kindle account (just click on 'ereader instructions' at the top), they're all DRM free, and you can download them in copious other formats as well.

Highlights include the entire Fafhrd and Grey Mouser collection for $35 (note: this is some kind of sale, it is normally $62, and I'm not sure when the sale ends), or nine of the CoDominium books for $36 (not a sale, just the price).

www.baenebooks.com
Old 10-23-2012, 10:20 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Yeah, Baen was being awesome about eBooks before anyone knew eBooks existed. It is, I believe, one of the reasons why such an aggressively niche company (there isn't actually a huge market for badly written right-wing power fantasy sci-fi) is still thriving.

It's also worth noting that the latest Amazon DRM snafu is a great example of why DRM is not long for this world. I'll be really surprised if they get through this without some EU regulator ripping them a new one.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:20 AM

Yeah, Baen's lucky they still get some of Bujold's output (and I say that as someone who enjoys a number of their other authors). Tied for most best novel Hugos with Heinlein isn't too shabby.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:27 AM
This Guy

Amazon has a lot of Michael Chabon for two bucks as part of their cyber Monday deals. I believe they are more than worth it.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:41 AM

I continue reading pulp on my Sony. Which is all that I read at the moment. Which is okay...
Old 11-30-2012, 02:32 AM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Amazon has a lot of Michael Chabon for two bucks as part of their cyber Monday deals. I believe they are more than worth it.
DAMMIT I have like half of his bibliography on my wish list but I purposely wasn't looking at any sales
Old 12-11-2012, 08:20 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Alright, so my sister wants a cyber book for xmas. I think they're dumb and thus know nothing about them, but I'll get it for her. So TT, what do I do? What's "the best"? Keep in mind she has a laptop/iPhone etc. so she doesn't need her cyber book to do anything but read cyber books. I don't care about apps or...stuff. Or whatever. Do they even do that on cyber books? I heard they did to try to compete with Apple. I don't know, man.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
Alright, so my sister wants a cyber book for xmas. I think they're dumb and thus know nothing about them, but I'll get it for her. So TT, what do I do? What's "the best"? Keep in mind she has a laptop/iPhone etc. so she doesn't need her cyber book to do anything but read cyber books. I don't care about apps or...stuff. Or whatever. Do they even do that on cyber books? I heard they did to try to compete with Apple. I don't know, man.
If all it needs to do is read ebooks get a Kindle Touch or a Nook Color
Old 12-11-2012, 08:31 PM
gatchapon 3*

frankly, the barebones kindle is the best. that said, the new paperwight is pretty great.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Clickclickclickclick

Kindle paperwhite.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:31 AM
GASP

I absolutely love my Nook Simple Touch Glow. I'm getting about three weeks' battery life out of it, which is amazing since it was supposed to get 4 weeks on a half hour a day (seriously, who only reads a half hour a day?).

If it helps, here's the research I did when deciding between a Kindle and a Nook.

Tags
falselogic