The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 07-27-2011, 08:26 PM
120 Days

Default Babylon 5

So I just got seasons 1-4 of B5 on dvd.

On ep5 of Season 1. So far not bad, but really cheesy in spots. I haven't seen these since first air, and have just watched through ds9 2x in last year. I will be comparing them profusely!
Old 07-28-2011, 04:32 AM
Wily ran off with Gamma!

JMS is really good at storytelling. The first season only kind of hints at the larger plot lines that are going on, but I believe this was one of the first shows to do a four-year story arc and get it right.

Of course a lot of the acting, the special effects, etc. are so incredibly dated that it can be really hard to watch... but there's a very cool story underneath all of that.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:54 AM
Gesundheit!

... ALL ALONE IN THE NIGHT ...
Old 07-28-2011, 09:33 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moirae View Post
JMS is really good at storytelling. The first season only kind of hints at the larger plot lines that are going on, but I believe this was one of the first shows to do a four-year story arc and get it right.

Of course a lot of the acting, the special effects, etc. are so incredibly dated that it can be really hard to watch... but there's a very cool story underneath all of that.
There's a huge quality jump between season 1 and season 2. I believe that season 1 was constrained because the network wasn't sure if this was a show people wanted to watch. Once there was an audience, JMS got an actual budget, some scriptwriters, and was allowed to replace the cardboard stand-up captain with an actor.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:48 PM
TT Pokemon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
So I just got seasons 1-4 of B5 on dvd.

On ep5 of Season 1. So far not bad, but really cheesy in spots. I haven't seen these since first air, and have just watched through ds9 2x in last year. I will be comparing them profusely!
Tough to get people hooked on B5 because S1 is so up and down (and as you said, really cheesy in spots).

But as Egar says, the quality jumped dramatically for S2
Old 07-28-2011, 02:16 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by `Hrist View Post
Tough to get people hooked on B5 because S1 is so up and down (and as you said, really cheesy in spots).

But as Egar says, the quality jumped dramatically for S2
This cannot be understated. Sasha and I were watching it on Netflix streaming, and she was kinda meh about the first season. After watching one episode of the second season, she could barely believe it was the same show. The CGI scenes were better, the writing was better, the set lighting and design was better, the cast chemistry was better...
Old 07-28-2011, 02:17 PM
Gesundheit!

I knew the show would get better, but I still felt like there was something there in season 1. It was just already clear that the show was devoted to long-term world building and storytelling.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:00 PM
TT Pokemon Champion

In trying to get Calories interested in B5, I believe I mentioned that you can trim S1 to the "essentials."

1. The Gathering
2. Midnight on the Firing Line
3. Born to the Purple
4. The Parliament of Dreams
5. Mind War
6. And the Sky Full of Stars
7. By Any Means Necessary
8. Signs and Portents
9. Legacies
10. A Voice in the Wilderness I & 2
11. Babylon Square
12. The Quality of Mercy
13. Chrysalis

On the fence: Survivors, TKO, Legacies, Soul Hunter
Old 07-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Unreliable Narrator

I cared more about the Centauri/Narn plot threads than the main story, so Seasons 2-3 are my favorites.

You can safely skip all of Season 5 except for the final episode (filmed to be the finale of Season 4 if they didn't fund 5).

Don't watch the movies.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:20 PM
Gesundheit!

I thought season 5 serves as a fine little epilogue, excepting Byron, who is atrocious. But everything on Centauri Prime is up to the show's standard.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:12 PM
120 Days

I like the pilot, 3rd space, and whatever the movie was that set up Crusade.

Worst movies - Lost tales and Legends of the Rangers. Ugh! And whatever Soul Hunter movie with Martin Sheen.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
I thought season 5 serves as a fine little epilogue, excepting Byron, who is atrocious. But everything on Centauri Prime is up to the show's standard.
Looking through the episode summaries, yeah, I guess after you excise the Byron arc there's stuff left worth watching. I had forgotten that the Neil Gaiman episode was this season. My rage at the Byron arc blocked out the other stuff from this season, though you mostly knew what important things were going to happen from Season 4.

I see another alcoholism arc; I swear every time a character got a story arc I thought less of that character afterwards. I think by the end of the show I only really liked G'Kar and Vir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
I like the pilot, 3rd space, and whatever the movie was that set up Crusade.
It's worth watching the pilot just to see how different it is from Season 1. The fans called Thirdspace "Turdspace" when it aired and I found parts of it painful to watch. It had a neat idea but painful execution.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
In trying to get Calories interested in B5, I believe I mentioned that you can trim S1 to the "essentials."

1. The Gathering
3. Born to the Purple
5. Mind War
8. Signs and Portents
9. Legacies
11. Babylon Square
12. The Quality of Mercy
13. Chrysalis

That's pretty much the exact list Sasha and I wound up watching.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:14 PM
There he is!

Quote:

1. The Gathering
3. Born to the Purple
5. Mind War
8. Signs and Portents
9. Legacies
11. Babylon Square
12. The Quality of Mercy
13. Chrysalis

I'm glad to see By Any Means Necessary on your list. The fact that B5 deals with such concrete, practical problems as labour disputes among the dock workers is really what marks it as being very different than Star Trek in its early going.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:21 PM
TT Pokemon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr82 View Post
I'm glad to see By Any Means Necessary on your list. The fact that B5 deals with such concrete, practical problems as labour disputes among the dock workers is really what marks it as being very different than Star Trek in its early going.
One of my favorites, for sure. I also think it's funny that it was written by JMS's wife, and thus had to go through an extra intense vetting process
Old 07-29-2011, 02:31 PM
There he is!

Though honestly, if someone's already at episode 5 of Season One, it means they've already watched "Infection", so they've already seen the worst episode the show has to offer.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:57 PM

Who are you?

What do you want?
Old 07-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Nothing is more powerful

Why are you here?

Where are you going?

Have you heard about the bird?
Old 07-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Not a Beer

Do you have anything worth living for?

What is your favorite color?

Would you like a side of fries with that?
Old 07-31-2011, 06:27 PM
Wily ran off with Gamma!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
It also has the best intro! Though... a spoilery one.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:43 PM
Gesundheit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moirae View Post
It also has the best intro! Though... a spoilery one.
Yeccchhhh I must respectfully disagree. I think it's easily the worst one, with season 4's the only one that really rises above the muck.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:33 PM
120 Days

The Parliament of Dreams - this ep made me wince.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:31 PM
120 Days

The Grail. Sweet christ

Otoh - first appearance of Morden and the Shadows. Very cool.

Sinclair - not a bad character. Apparently this actor went missing lately. Weird. I love him trying to figure out what the Minbari did with him and looking forward to the Valen arc.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:59 AM
Cobra and Phases Group

I freaked out a bit when I rewatched the pilot recently, and spotted the guy who played Morden as an unnamed extra on the bridge. Spent the whole thing going "Is that...surely it can't be...?"

I also found myself being really thankful they replaced Takashima with Ivanova for the series. I'm not sure I could've endured that actress for an entire season.

Didn't know about the Michael O'Hare situation, that's a bit troubling. And JMS's message just makes the whole thing sound more perplexing. I hope the guy's okay.

Quote:
On 12, July, 2011, Straczynski posted on his Facebook Fanpage “Fans of J. Michael Straczynski”[4] the results of a search for Michael O'Hare's whereabouts he initiated days earlier by stating [5][6]"Michael's situation has been determined, and he's still among the living, which is the good news, but the things that concerned me enough to begin the search have been borne out. I realize that that's a "what the hell?" kind of statement, but that's all I can say about it for the time being. That said, everyone can stand down now that we've reached this point. My thanks to everyone who helped with this process." It is not known if this statement reflects health issues or others. Responses on the page were generally of well-wishes and concern for O'Hare, being respectful of his privacy.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Not a Beer

Here's hoping - we've already lost a ridiculous number of fine actors from among the B5 crew.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:42 PM
TT Pokemon Champion

Yikes! I hope O'Hare is okay.

Also, losing Andreas Katsulas still gets me. It would be like losing McCoy from Star Trek in the 70s instead of the 2000s. G'kar was that important.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:05 PM
120 Days

I am quickly reaching the end of the 1st season, but I am now saddened by the loss of Sinclair approaching. A lot of threads made him really interesting, that the Minbari picked him, that most of Earth Corps hates him, the interesting relationship he has with Delenn and that him and Garibaldi were good buds. When Sheridan comes aboard he just seems to absorb some of those traits. The S4 Garibaldi betrayal would have been way more badass if Sinclair was still around, and the Delenn romance possibly more interesting. I can't remember if there is any story lines addressing this when Sheridan arrives, but I can't wait!
Old 08-07-2011, 07:24 AM
Wily ran off with Gamma!

Quote:
Yikes! I hope O'Hare is okay.

Also, losing Andreas Katsulas still gets me. It would be like losing McCoy from Star Trek in the 70s instead of the 2000s. G'kar was that important.
"Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender."
Old 08-11-2011, 12:48 AM
120 Days

Final ep of s1 was fucking excellent. Serial killer ep preceding, notso much. But it marked the first appearance of alien life transfer machine. So there is something!

I am going to miss Sinclair. I wonder if he was meant to have same arc as Sheridan...?
Old 08-11-2011, 01:56 PM
TT Pokemon Champion

Sinclair would have had much the same arc as Sheridian; but instead of "vanishing" with Lorien in the final episode, it would have been revealed that he's Valen. They moved all that up to the third season though!

JMS really did a masterful job of retooling the different characters on the fly while keeping the basic story on track. The only time things really got screwed up was when Claudia Christian left right before Season 5.