The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

View Poll Results: Which is the best Weird Al album?
Dare to be Stupid 8 12.90%
UHF 5 8.06%
Alapalooza 4 6.45%
Off the Deep End 5 8.06%
Bad Hair Day 10 16.13%
Running With Scissors 14 22.58%
Poodle Hat 4 6.45%
Straight Outta Lynwood 5 8.06%
Alpocalypse 0 0%
Other 7 11.29%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2014, 05:13 AM
Dinger!

Hardware Store is on the list of Best Originals, but my favourites are still That's Your Horoscope for Today and Albuquerque.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:36 PM
The Blue Hat Returns!

Those ARE pretty great.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:55 AM
Gesundheit!

I've found that I can't read or say "pico de gallo" without mentally completing it with "They sure don't make it like this in O-hi-o!"
Old 11-21-2014, 12:28 PM
Dinger!

Ha, yeah. There are so many words and concepts I've learned from Weird Al that they are inextricably linked to those songs.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:03 PM
100% All Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
I've found that I can't read or say "pico de gallo" without mentally completing it with "They sure don't make it like this in O-hi-o!"
That's funny, because pico de gallo is forever linked for me to another novelty band, Trout Fishing in America.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:17 AM
Gesundheit!

Al's site has been redesigned and looks pretty snazzy. Especially awesome: all of his videos, in one place. This definitely beats my old VHS collections.

Tour being announced at midnight ET!
Old 01-19-2015, 09:23 AM
I. Love. It.

Quote:
Al's site has been redesigned and looks pretty snazzy. Especially awesome: all of his videos, in one place.
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youtube
The uploader has not made this available in your country.

:|

ED: I should say I did this with one of his older songs and got that error, but the newer ones are working, so they're not universally unavailable. Still makes me :| though.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:24 AM
Gesundheit!

B'oh, yeah, I think it's America only.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:20 AM
Gesundheit!

I saw the Mandatory Fun tour on Saturday, in Cleve Land!

If you've seen Al in concert before, or one of his concert recordings, it was pretty much what he always does. Some new highlights:

- He opened with a recreation of his "Tacky" video routine on a giant screen behind the stage, beginning in a secluded part of the venue and eventually making his way to the crowd and the stage, interacting with the audience along the way but still keeping expertly focused on the Steadicam. Dude is a pro.

- Most of his really early material was covered in a hilarious MTV Unplugged-style medley, with the band members sitting in a downcast, shadowy circle. "Eat It" was basically a mashup with unplugged "Layla" (complete with riff) and "I Lost on Jeopardy" got a cool jazz treatment.

- Now that Al is happily married, "Wanna B Ur Lover" (his style parody of sleazy Midnite Vultures Beck) seems to have officially replaced "One More Minute" as a setlist mainstay.

- The video clips played during costume changes really shed a light on how much Cartoon Network/Adult Swim type stuff Al has guested in since the last time I saw him. But there were still a bunch of classic clips with poofy-haired Al with glasses to keep me (and presumably a lot of the audience) nostalgic.

And if anyone ends up attending this tour, be warned: The show started aggressively on time, no opener, no buffer for latecomers. SEID PUNKTLICH!
Old 06-01-2015, 06:30 PM
Ancient Nameless Hero

I saw this too! We went to see him in Bloomington, Illinois, on May 26th. Pretty great concert, really. Lots of fun, and the man has energy to spare for as many songs as were played and as many costume changes as he and the rest of the band pulled off. It occurred to me that he and his band must be tremendously talented to be able to play skillfully in that many widely disparate genres.

We also came home with a Blu-ray copy of UHF. I'm excited to eventually watch it again, and also a little nervous. The last (and only) time I saw it was over half my life ago now.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:52 AM
Gesundheit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
It occurred to me that he and his band must be tremendously talented to be able to play skillfully in that many widely disparate genres.
Loyal, too! He's had the same band since his second album, the only difference being that they recruited a keyboard player (Rubén Valtierra) in 1991. I don't blame them, they have basically the best gig in music.

I'd also never seen the CollegeHumor parody of Whiplash, which is great:

Old 01-25-2016, 08:41 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Thought that this might be the best place to point out that Al is going to be the new band leader on Comedy Bang! Bang! next season.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:52 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
And if anyone ends up attending this tour, be warned: The show started aggressively on time, no opener, no buffer for latecomers. SEID PUNKTLICH!
This literally does more to endear me to Al than anything else I know of.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:38 AM
Gesundheit!

I heard Blurred Lines for the first time in ages at my sister-in-law's wedding reception last weekend, and realized how thoroughly Word Crimes has become the default version of the song in my mind. This is glorious, and I can only hope it eventually becomes true for society at large.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:18 AM
100% All Original

Tacky is way better than Happy too. It's shorter and much less repetitive.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:24 AM
Gesundheit!

Inactive makes me crack up now too, mostly because it's this SUPER EPIC SOUNDING, movie-trailer-scale song about doing absolutely nothing. Basically, all of the parodies on Mandatory Fun are better than the original versions.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:26 AM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
Off topic of Al's music for a sec, am I the only one who misses short-haired bearded Al?

We've had clean-shaven long-haired Al for some time now (since, what, Running with Scissors?), and I've made my peace with it, but now and then I look back on some of his older album covers and think wistfully "Yeah, that's how he's supposed to look. What gives?"
Hey I realize I'm a little late to help out here, but in case you ever decide to breed a new one: what final form your Weird Al takes is dependent on how you evolve it, as demonstrated by the chart below. Weird Al's final forms really just swap Defense for Special Defense, but you did miss out on Mega Al, which sucks.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:51 AM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
I heard Blurred Lines for the first time in ages at my sister-in-law's wedding reception last weekend, and realized how thoroughly Word Crimes has become the default version of the song in my mind. This is glorious, and I can only hope it eventually becomes true for society at large.
Nobody remembers The Greg Kihn Band.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:57 AM
Gesundheit!

My perspective on Kihn's popularity is a little skewed, because he used to host a fairly popular morning radio show in the Bay Area. But 'The Breakup Song' still gets pretty regular classic rock airplay, at least on the level of two-hit wonders like .38 Special.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:41 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

The best Weird Al album is the one that's 14 CDs long and comes in a replica accordion.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:26 AM
Gesundheit!

Nathan Rabin, lifelong Weird Al fanatic and professional completionist, is going song by song through Al's entire catalogue, one song per day. So far he's done a great job linking even Al's most middling songs to their wider cultural context and identifying recurring themes in his work beyond "TV" and "food."

I especially like his observation that Al's debut album is, in its own off-kilter way, kind of a punk album.

Tags
a red snapper , comedy , rise from your grave! , weird al