The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

View Poll Results: Which is the best Weird Al album?
Dare to be Stupid 8 12.90%
UHF 5 8.06%
Alapalooza 4 6.45%
Off the Deep End 5 8.06%
Bad Hair Day 10 16.13%
Running With Scissors 14 22.58%
Poodle Hat 4 6.45%
Straight Outta Lynwood 5 8.06%
Alpocalypse 0 0%
Other 7 11.29%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Dinger!

Default What is the best Weird Al album?

With the release of Alpocalypse, I say that it's time we find out where Talking Time's allegiances lie. Do you love the Madonna and Devo spoofs of Dare to be Stupid, the Nirvana parodies of Off the Deep End, the Coolio skewering of Bad Hair Day or something else entirely?

For me, the winner is Running with Scissors. It's just such a great, hilarious album. That's Your Horoscope for Today, It's All About the Pentiums and Albuquerque are still my top three Weird Al songs. Plus, it was my first album of his, which I feel will probably be a deciding factor for a lot of us.

So which Weird Al-bum* will you pick?

*Oh god, that pun didn't work out how I wanted it to!
Old 06-22-2011, 11:19 AM
Thwomp Boyardee

I was highly disappointed that In 3D was not on there. I guess that was before your time, you darn kids!
Old 06-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
I was highly disappointed that In 3D was not on there. I guess that was before your time, you darn kids!
Yeah, sorry, there were only ten spaces and I've never heard his debut, In 3D, Polka Party or Even Worse, so I left them out.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:33 AM
Gesundheit!

Off the Deep End, clearly. Best polka medley, best originals, killer lead-off parody; only "The White Stuff" fails the "is it either catchy or funny?" test.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
Off the Deep End, clearly. Best polka medley, best originals, killer lead-off parody; only "The White Stuff" fails the "is it either catchy or funny?" test.
I don't know, "The Plumbing Song" kind of falls flat for me, and I wouldn't say that it has the best originals. But I'll give you best lead-off parody and best polka.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Gesundheit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
I don't know, "The Plumbing Song" kind of falls flat for me, and I wouldn't say that it has the best originals. But I'll give you best lead-off parody and best polka.
I guess I like "The Plumbing Song" because of what a slice of the zeitgeist it is; he wrote and recorded it before the whole Milli Vanilli scandal broke, so it's funny to hear a parody recorded with that mindset.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Dinger!

Quote:
I guess I like "The Plumbing Song" because of what a slice of the zeitgeist it is; he wrote and recorded it before the whole Milli Vanilli scandal broke, so it's funny to hear a parody recorded with that mindset.
Oh wow, I didn't know that he recorded it before the scandal. I always assumed that it was afterwards and so I thought it was weird that the song wasn't about the scandal at all. I guess that sheds a new light on it.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Gesundheit!

Quote:
Oh wow, I didn't know that he recorded it before the scandal. I always assumed that it was afterwards and so I thought it was weird that the song wasn't about the scandal at all. I guess that sheds a new light on it.
Yeah, most of Off the Deep End was on the back-burner for years while Al was waiting for a Big Cultural Event, which ended up being Nirvana. Hence the big divide in sound between "Smells Like Nirvana" and all of the more late '80s-ish tracks that comprise the rest of the parodies on the album.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Yeah, sorry, there were only ten spaces and I've never heard his debut, In 3D, Polka Party or Even Worse, so I left them out.
I question the scientific validity of this poll.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
I question the scientific validity of this poll.
Damn, and I was all set to use it as primary research for a paper I'm working on!
Old 06-22-2011, 12:24 PM
Mystery Contraption

I have to say Bad Hair Day, but it was close between that, Alapalooza and Running with Scissors.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:38 PM

I voted for Dare to Be Stupid. "Like a Surgeon" is a great Madonna parody and the title track is an even better pastiche of the synth-pop of the time. "Girls Just Want to Have Lunch" is a sophomoric but amusing re-imagining of the Cyndi Lauper song and "Yoda" is actually a better song than the Kinks' original it parodies. A couple of other songs are pretty good too like "I Want a New Duck" and "One More Minute".

And I'm certain that my vote here is entirely objective and not in any way influenced by the fact that I owned this album on cassette.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:49 PM
Dinger!

Yeah, I love Dare to be Stupid. Can't say that "Girls Just Want to Have Lunch" does anything for me, but "One More Minute" was my favourite song back in the day.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:41 PM
I. Love. It.

There's no option for 'all of thems'.

Also thanks for reminding that Alpocalypse is out.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditative_Zebra View Post
I voted for Dare to Be Stupid. "Like a Surgeon" is a great Madonna parody and the title track is an even better pastiche of the synth-pop of the time. "Girls Just Want to Have Lunch" is a sophomoric but amusing re-imagining of the Cyndi Lauper song and "Yoda" is actually a better song than the Kinks' original it parodies. A couple of other songs are pretty good too like "I Want a New Duck" and "One More Minute".

And I'm certain that my vote here is entirely objective and not in any way influenced by the fact that I owned this album on cassette.
Yeah i went with this one too. mostly because I think of Girls Just Want to Have Lunch every time the store I work at plays the real version. Same with I Want A New Duck.

But honestly, that is a difficult question. I'm glad I have the Box Set, Permanent Record.

Oh Alpocalypse, is only okay. Straight Out of Lynwood is better, and probably my second favorite.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:50 PM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I have to say Bad Hair Day, but it was close between that, Alapalooza and Running with Scissors.
On this subject we are bros.

Those are actually the exact three Albums I own.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:11 PM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFink View Post
Yeah i went with this one too. mostly because I think of Girls Just Want to Have Lunch every time the store I work at plays the real version. Same with I Want A New Duck.

But honestly, that is a difficult question. I'm glad I have the Box Set, Permanent Record.

Oh Alpocalypse, is only okay. Straight Out of Lynwood is better, and probably my second favorite.
Straight Outta Lynwood was surprisingly great. Alpocalypse is growing on me too. I already really like "CNR", "Skipper Dan" and "Party in the CIA". I'm dying trying to figure out some of these style parodies though. Is "Ringtone" a Queen style parody?
Old 06-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Gesundheit!

Quote:
Is "Ringtone" a Queen style parody?
Most definitely. "If That Isn't Love" is apparently supposed to be Hanson ... ? (I can hear bits and pieces of it, but that's a really weird one.)
Old 06-22-2011, 02:23 PM
i musnt run away

As I've aged I've found myself more and more appreciating Wierd Al's original songs over his parodies.

The best of all these original songs is Hardware Store.

So Poodle Hat.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Dinger!

Quote:
Most definitely. "If That Isn't Love" is apparently supposed to be Hanson ... ? (I can hear bits and pieces of it, but that's a really weird one.)
Hmmm, I'll have to listen to that one again to notice it. I'm glad I was right about "Ringtone". I was pretty sure it was Queen, since the opening sounds exactly like the opening of "Don't Stop Me Now".
Old 06-22-2011, 02:54 PM
forbidden noise

Quote:
HAHAHA. HAHAHA.

Well, only two of those are actually good, but I have a soft spot for a few of the songs on Polka Party and the first one.

In 3D is amazing, but Even Worse has to be my favorite. No polka, but all of the parodies are awesome, and the originals are pretty good too. "Twister" may be my favorite Weird Al song period.

After those, probably Poodle Hat. It caught onto the tail end of the time when I heard radio a lot (from being driven around by my brother and whatnot), and while there's a few songs I always skip, a lot of it is pretty awesome. Plus, it has Ben Folds.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkpen View Post
As I've aged I've found myself more and more appreciating Wierd Al's original songs over his parodies.

The best of all these original songs is Hardware Store.

So Poodle Hat.
Yeah, that's generally true for me too. I think I might like Dare to be Stupid a bit more than Hardware store, but nostalgia is a REALLY big factor there.

Also, I hate how many people just flatly deny that original Weird Al songs exist. Consistently, only half the songs on every one of his albums are parodies. The other half are original songs... roughly half of which are homages to someone else's general style, but that still counts. And the remaining percentage pretty consistently contain the best stuff. For that matter, it also bugs me how people consistently think he's dropped completely off the face of the earth between releases despite holding to a rather remarkably consistent release schedule over the years.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Gesundheit!

As far as originals go, it's not the funniest song in the world, but I've always loved "Midnight Star" as a great pop song.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:08 PM

It was a toss up between Even Worse and Running With Scissors for me. I chose Running With Scissors because I like his originals and his style parodies on that album more. But come on Karzac, how can you not include the album that had "Fat"?
Old 06-22-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBlasto View Post
But come on Karzac, how can you not include the album that had "Eat It"?

To answer the question, either In 3-D or Off the Deep End. I like his other albums a lot (well, not so much his debut), but those two are the best to me.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBlasto View Post
It was a toss up between Even Worse and Running With Scissors for me. I chose Running With Scissors because I like his originals and his style parodies on that album more. But come on Karzac, how can you not include the album that had "Fat"?
Like I said, I've never heard the full album, so I didn't feel right including it. I have heard some of it though, and liked it.

Upon re-listening to "If That Isn't Love" I can totally hear the Hanson, plus some other late-nineties pop.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
Yeah, that's generally true for me too. I think I might like Dare to be Stupid a bit more than Hardware store, but nostalgia is a REALLY big factor there.

Also, I hate how many people just flatly deny that original Weird Al songs exist. Consistently, only half the songs on every one of his albums are parodies. The other half are original songs... roughly half of which are homages to someone else's general style, but that still counts. And the remaining percentage pretty consistently contain the best stuff. For that matter, it also bugs me how people consistently think he's dropped completely off the face of the earth between releases despite holding to a rather remarkably consistent release schedule over the years.
I know, every time I mention Weird Al to somebody, their like "isn't he dead?" But no! In fact, he's now released three albums in the past ten years! It's weird to think that he's in his fifties though.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Straight Outta Lynwood was surprisingly great. Alpocalypse is growing on me too. I already really like "CNR", "Skipper Dan" and "Party in the CIA". I'm dying trying to figure out some of these style parodies though. Is "Ringtone" a Queen style parody?
CNR is good, but it's too much Chuck Norris Joke-Like for me. Skipper Dan was good when I heard it like two years ago. Another Tattoo I liked and TMZ especially was great, but maybe because (true story) I ejected Taylor Swift's Fearless (which had the parody's origin on it) before I listened to it.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:19 PM
I. Love. It.

As for as OriginALs go, Dare to be Stupid, Your Horoscope for Today, Hardware Store, and Everything You Know is Wrong are my personal favorites.

I also have a soft spot for Albuquerque, Genius in France, Trapped in the Drive Thru, and the new Stop Forwarding That Crap to Me, even though they're all fairly long.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:20 PM
SPACE DEPUTY

I voted for Bad Hair Day but I adore Dare To Be Stupid (the song and the album) and Running With Scissors is great too.

Honorable mention: Polkamon!

Tags
a red snapper , comedy , rise from your grave! , weird al