The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 07-29-2010, 04:12 PM
Condiment connoisseur

The other option would be to use traditional-looking Lord of the Rings-style armor for the characters, which wouldn't be nearly as fun in my opinion.

I'm also glad they're using the regular Mjolnir and not Ultimate Mjolnir, although

Joe Madureira completely negated that on his brief (and disappointing) Ultimates run. Having the old hammer back was one of the few good things about that arc.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Rawrther.

I just looked up Ultimate Mjolnir, because I was lost by all this different hammers talk.

And yes, Ultimate Mjolnir is stupid. Mjolnir Prime is the right choice. For America.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:50 PM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortbassist89 View Post
I just looked up Ultimate Mjolnir, because I was lost by all this different hammers talk.

And yes, Ultimate Mjolnir is stupid. Mjolnir Prime is the right choice. For America.
I am glad people seem to agree with me about this. But I also hate pretty much everything from the Ultimates.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Rawrther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
I am glad people seem to agree with me about this. But I also hate pretty much everything from the Ultimates.
The whole, axe/hammer hybrid thing just looks stupid/silly.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:11 PM
Condiment connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
But I also hate pretty much everything from the Ultimates.
There are some good things!

- Bryan Hitch and Joe Madureira art.
- Tying everything in the Ultimate universe through the Super-Soldier Serum and its research, even how Peter Parker got his powers
- Throwing Banner out of a plane to get him to Hulk out, which is used a lot now
- "Do you think this letter on my head stands for France?!"
- "HULK HATE FREDDIE PRINZE JR."
- Giving Captain America a good flaw--he has anger issues, which makes sense

Other than those, yeah, a lot of The Ultimates is very hit-or-miss for me. Ultimate Spider-Man was really the only one I liked the entire way through.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:01 AM

Disclaimer: I have never read any Thor comics.

I don't understand why Thor gets a place in the Marvel Universe. "Hey, I like vikings. Let's add some Norse gods into the mix!" The company made a conscious effort from the beginning to create superheroes that were real people who happen to have extraordinary powers, heroes that often gained their abilities over the course of their narratives. And here is this mystical god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
The Thor trailer looks an awful Shakespeare troupe cosplaying Thor fanfiction.
And the fly-through shots of CGI Asgard look poorly done. The trailer seems to suggest that the movie aims to muddle things further by emphasizing wishy-washy psuedoscience babble, probably involving alternate dimensions, in an attempt to make the idea of Thor moderately plausible. I bet the movie will quote Arthur C. Clark's famous, "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" at some point.

Also, I don't care if that hammer is cannon. It looks tiny and ridiculous. While some kind of giant hammer would be laughably impractical, there is no reason Thor's weapon couldn't be both reasonably sized AND cool looking.

I don't mean to bag on this movie too much. While watching the trailer, it struck me just how much Hollywood has changed since X-Men; this movie would never have been made five or ten years ago. There just would not have been an audience for it. But the film threatens to recall the likes of Power Rangers in its blatant self-indulgence.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:19 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:

I don't understand why Thor gets a place in the Marvel Universe. "Hey, I like vikings. Let's add some Norse gods into the mix!" The company made a conscious effort from the beginning to create superheroes that were real people who happen to have extraordinary powers, heroes that often gained their abilities over the course of their narratives. And here is this mystical god.
That's kind of what makes him cool - he's a very DC-styled hero (well, technically a Fawcett hero since he's a Captain Marvel rip-off) in the Marvel Universe. So you have all these emotional rejects / freaks running around, and then there's a more traditional hero tossed in the mix.

The best way of looking at that is to examine his costume - for the longest time, Thor was the only hero at Marvel with a cape. It's a subtle visual indicator of his different status.

And the original idea of Thor had a bit more Marvel to him... but then again, he did fight aliens in his first story out of the gate. It's all a bit odd.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:00 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by mablem8 View Post
Disclaimer: I have never read any Thor comics.

Originally, I think the theme was sort of a Christ allegory: Here is this mighty deity cast down to earth to learn humility. His, uh, host body is (was?) a cripple, Don Blake, who found a cane in a cave. When he struck the cane against something, it transformed him into Thor. However, if Thor let go of the hammer for sixty seconds, he would revert. So he had a secret identity (at first) and a weakness (sort of).

They sort of lost the theme after a while... you know, what with fighting the Celestials and getting turned into a frog and all.

Quote:
And the fly-through shots of CGI Asgard look poorly done. The trailer seems to suggest that the movie aims to muddle things further by emphasizing wishy-washy psuedoscience babble, probably involving alternate dimensions, in an attempt to make the idea of Thor moderately plausible. I bet the movie will quote Arthur C. Clark's famous, "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" at some point.
Have you seen any of Jack Kirby's artwork?

Asgard was intended to be mind-bogglingly complex. It made sense for gods to live in a place far beyond our imagination. I do agree that they shouldn't try to put much science into it, but instead go the "fantastical technology" route: machines powered by elementals and magic and stuff.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:08 AM
David the Gnome Rides Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraymonds View Post
Kenneth Braunagh is directing...
Have you ever seen his Hamlet? It's my favorite one so I'm excited for this movie.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:51 AM
This Guy

Quote:
That is kind of what Marvel's (Kirby's) Asgard always has been. And the fly-over of Asgard was probably my favorite part of the teaser. It was completely unreal and otherworldly. Psuedoscience babble is to be expected, but I don't think it'll make it seem plausible at all. That's kind of beside the point when space-Gods are being banished to Earth.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Curious Young Gent

TruFac: Thor made the most sense in Marvel 1602
Old 07-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Very punny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
Have you seen any of Jack Kirby's artwork?

Asgard was intended to be mind-bogglingly complex. It made sense for gods to live in a place far beyond our imagination. I do agree that they shouldn't try to put much science into it, but instead go the "fantastical technology" route: machines powered by elementals and magic and stuff.
I was exceedingly "meh" about the all of the costume design until someone said "Kirby-influenced" and then I got it and now I love it.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Safe Space

The only issue is that Kirby's costumes were never really plausible outside of comics.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:47 PM
Very punny.

That's true but I think it's a pretty good blending of "Kirby" and "costumes that are actually physically possible to wear".

As for the "wah Shakespeare" argument, good Thor should be not unlike bad Shakespeare, so I think it's doing pretty well.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:07 AM
I say thee neigh

Eyyy it's a Cap picture

Evans is trying a little too hard to make a heroface and comes off a bit constipated, but he looks the part and the costume looks nice, or at the very least, way better than that weird anatomy model all CG Green Lantern thing (and also better than the unnatural looking fiberglass Thor armor stuff)
Old 10-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by onimaruxlr View Post
Eyyy it's a Cap picture
Boy, Reb Brown sure looks good for a 60-year-old.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Follow the fuck-man

He looks a hell of a lot better than I could of ever imagined and that costume looks solid. Thank god they got rid of the feathery chainmail look, that is something that only looks cool in the comics.Now just to see how the helmet/,mask looks on him.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Hawkguy

More Captain America pics
Old 11-12-2010, 07:41 PM
I say thee neigh

I'm going to post this in this thread in an attempt to undermine DC's film efforts. Think of it as my way of protesting how stupid and terrible smallville is.

Doesn't look bad, doesn't look amazing. Reynolds has shown more personality in those 30 seconds than Jordan has in 30+ years of existence. It'd be nice if resulted in Hal turning into less of a boorish jarhead in the comics, but with Johns writing em...unlikely.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Conquers the World

I was just saying a minute ago that Ryan Reynolds seems like he would be a way better Kyle Rayner than Hal Jordan. It looks fun, though. The flying's a little wonky but the ring effect is pretty cool, and I already love Kilowog.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:12 AM
This Guy

I thought the Green Lantern clip looked pretty good. For a 30 second clip, at least.

And Ryan Reynolds seems pretty spot on for Johns's Hal Jordan. Which is really great.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:59 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I was just saying a minute ago that Ryan Reynolds seems like he would be a way better Kyle Rayner than Hal Jordan. It looks fun, though. The flying's a little wonky but the ring effect is pretty cool, and I already love Kilowog.
Yeah, he does seem very Kyle-ish in the clip.

Anyway, it's not quite a movie, but... well... poor Spidey. This is going to be his version of Batman and Robin, albeit without being dragged down via an internationally-distributed film.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:56 AM
Banned

What...what am I looking at there? I don't understand and I'm not sure that I want to.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:37 PM

Movie theaters should do a double billing of The Green Lantern with The Green Hornet, and sell green slushies and green nacho cheese dip (booger dip!) and green t-shirts. This seasons... green is the new black.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:46 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bungle700 View Post
What...what am I looking at there? I don't understand and I'm not sure that I want to.
Photos of the Spider-Man musical that's set to open in New York this winter. Julie Traymor's doing the designs, which is why the Green Goblin is so hideous and why that horrific silver thing is a new villain named "Swiss Miss."

Basically, if you didn't think movie Spidey needed a reboot, it sure as hell will after this atrocity kills Spidey's good name in NYC for the next decade.

Theatre Majors: Don't Let 'Em Breed.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Rawrther.

I like the idea of a Spider-Man musical just fine, but the music I've heard from it sounded like they're taking the concept way too serious; combined with those costumes, I can't imagine this going over well at all.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Space Prez

I would pay anything to see a guy in a Spider-Man suit swinging around above my head. That would be the ultimate.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:37 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
I would pay anything to see a guy in a Spider-Man suit swinging around above my head. That would be the ultimate.
... get to Orlando, then.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Very punny.

As a theater major and a comic geek, I have only this to say:

Fuck you, Broadway.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Super Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Anyway, it's not quite a movie, but... well... poor Spidey. This is going to be his version of Batman and Robin, albeit without being dragged down via an internationally-distributed film.
This is some kind of fashion thing right? They're trying to sell the dress that Mary Jane is wearing, aren't they? That's the only way these photos make any sense.

EDIT: Oh, it's a musical. Hmm… still pretty awful but more understandable. Am I wrong for being a little excited about this? I can't help but think of the Batman animated show. "♪ Criminals are a cowardly, superstitious lot. ♪"

Tags
brodude cinema , car door shield , cheadlicious , horny for lewis tan , horny for spider-man , marvel , marvel cinematic universe , mehhumans , movies , parker posey as , stan lee cameo