The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 04-16-2016, 10:45 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Dong watches the Kardassians and starts talking like them. At least, that's how it goes in the first five or so episodes.
I've heard this, and it sounds funny! I've always thought the show was funny, and I expect season 2 will be as well.

But my question is: does he do it with the same "no one who works on this show has met a Vietnamese person before, but that infamously bad Japanese accent from Breakfast at Tiffany's is probably a good approximation of how Vietnamese people speak, right?" accent from season 1?
Old 04-16-2016, 10:51 AM
noble beast

I think his accent is the same.

They do an episode where some Asian people are offended by Titus's portrayal of a geisha but then they are moved by it...
Old 04-16-2016, 10:54 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
I think his accent is the same.
That's too bad. My husband is a first generation Vietnamese immigrant, and Dong is a real fly in the ointment when we try to watch this show.

Titus keeps us going, though.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:28 AM
Mystery Contraption

The small detail that always makes me laugh hardest is that Jane Kankowskis dog is a "Dog-a-doodle" named "Abattoir".

Everything about that is just so perfectly in-line with everything about every character she's ever played.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:03 PM
so exciting!

wow i'm glad they tackled PC culture gone mad :|
Old 04-17-2016, 12:59 AM
Out Of Warranty

My wife, who grew up with very little influence from american culture - that's Europe for you - never has understood zany sitcoms. Anything weirder than Friends fails to interest her. So I'm very surprised that she took a liking to this show. She doesn't get most of the jokes, but she really likes the characters, so this is the one show we absolutely watch together.

(me? I love it. I don't get all the jokes, either, but the ones I do are delightful. And the entire last season was worth it just for "I'm gay, black and old. They won't know what to write down when they fill the hate crime report!")

We started the second season yesterday and I thought it had lost its charm, but then the ending of the episode pays off, even with that awful awful Cinabbon product placement. We'll be watching it sloooowly, though - because it's reality show season here in Spain, and Master Chef Spain is sacred in this house.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:48 AM
noble beast

I woke up way too early today and have had the chance to watch most of this. It took me a while to really get into it, but this is still a very good show! If not as great as 30 Rock. Tina Fey's character this season is much better.

One thing I don't like is, where is Jane Krakowski, playing my beloved Jane Krakowski character? I feel like she's been gone for half the season. Last season had the same problem, too.

"Tan Sally dress-up - that's what they call Pocahontas in Indiana." Can confirm.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:18 AM
noble beast

Finished it! I think the back half of this season is stronger than season one's. (the trial in season one was weak stuff) Last episode featured Lisa Kudrow and Josh Charles; good shit.

I respect this show's commitment to mild ISIS jokes. Archer chickened out.
Quote:
last season's hateful caricatures of real people have not aged well.
I think Robert Durst will age a bit better.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:22 AM
Better be the real thing.

From what I can tell, Dong's accent is greatly reduced. You can barely tell it's there.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:30 AM
noble beast

I noticed that in his third episode, the one I watched after having his accent questioned. Maybe it was always the case. I revise my earlier assessment, somewhat. He still probably doesn't sound Vietnamese.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:53 PM
I. Love. It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
Yeah that bit was obnoxious. I'm enjoying it besides that, though.

"The Reverend was a total liar! He said he was the one who came up with the 'give the world a Coke' commercial!"

EDIT: Though, what's with the persistent burping? Kimmy, like, burps loudly at least once an episode. Not intentionally either, just suddenly in the middle of a sentence. Is this building up to a thing?

Last edited by SpoonyBardOL; 04-18-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:33 AM
Mystery Contraption

It's a symptom of her PTSD, apparently, but not a particularly important one all things considered. Weird that it exists at all, really.

Also;
"Kimmy, say something rude"
"Frowns!"
Old 04-24-2016, 10:42 AM
so exciting!

"the reverend was a psycho liar who claims he came up with the 'buy the world a coke' commercial"
Old 04-24-2016, 11:22 AM
is Earnest

The way they portrayed the online outrage group wasn't great, but in the end the play was respectful and they turned out to be reasonable people. That wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. It was less an attempt to take down political correctness and more just lazy writing.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:08 PM
noble beast

Your reaction is also the moral of that episode... whoa
Old 04-25-2016, 09:18 AM
is Earnest

Quote:
Your reaction is also the moral of that episode... whoa
Well, yeah. I assumed that the reaction was somewhat overblown, but the episode was really not bad at all. of course people got upset on the internet about a show making fun of people getting upset on the internet.

I liked the rest of the season, too! They actually focused on character growth for a few characters, and Tina Fey and Lisa Kudrow both did great jobs. It really feels like they have some long term plans for this show.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:48 PM
This Guy

I hope they have long term plans, because a lot of this season didn't come together. I don't necessarily mean that as a bad thing. By the end of the season, all of the main characters were really scattered, with their various stories not tying back in together like you'd expect from a sitcom.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:55 PM
noble beast

Jane Krakowski should be with Josh Charles () instead of David Cross. Also, she should be in all the episodes, and just be Jenna Maroney again.

I agree that some of the plotting was weak, but I still just didn't care for the trial storyline much. I just... didn't think it was funny. At all. A true waste of Tina Fey.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:56 PM
World of Darkness Returns

I honestly felt like this season had a little too much Titus. Not because I dislike the character, but just because beyond getting a boyfriend it seemed like his arcs were extremely aimless.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:02 PM
noble beast

I don't think the character's that funny... but I never felt safe talking about/it's not like he annoyed me. Plus I feel like I've seen his boyfriend's "non-stereotypical, newly out gay guy wonders if he has to be like stereotypical gay guys" like, many times.

Didn't really care for Carol Kane last season either, but she had some good bits this season, I thought.

Like I said! This is not 30 Rock: 2.0 for me. But that's my favorite show of all time, so I wouldn't expect it.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:34 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
I hope they have long term plans, because a lot of this season didn't come together. I don't necessarily mean that as a bad thing. By the end of the season, all of the main characters were really scattered, with their various stories not tying back in together like you'd expect from a sitcom.
Even when they were together they all seemed to be talking about different things. Definitely strange for a sitcom, but not really bad either. I actually liked that they all had their own things going on. (I agree that Titus was fairly aimless considering how much screen time he had)
Old 04-28-2016, 04:09 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
The way they portrayed the online outrage group wasn't great, but in the end the play was respectful and they turned out to be reasonable people. That wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. It was less an attempt to take down political correctness and more just lazy writing.
I don't think having a character in yellow-face is very respectful.

Though, yes, the whole thing was just lazy writing. I wouldn't mind it if those scenes were actually funny, but they were mostly just dull and self-aggrandizing.

Glad to hear the back half is good. I haven't enjoyed the first couple episodes all that much, compared to how much the first season delighted me.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:18 AM
Crazy Old Bird

And then they do an episode filled with off-brand showtunes and I'm back in.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:25 AM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
I don't think having a character in yellow-face is very respectful.
Yeah, that's fair.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:42 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Season 2 was a lot of fun!

I forgot how hilarious Lillian is. Did she get this much time in the first season? She was great in this one.

re:controversies

I thought the Titus yellow face episode was more or less okay? The portrayal of the protesters was pretty bad, but Titus is so ridiculous and self-centered that I don't think anyone would come away from it thinking his play was a good idea. I don't know, I expected worse.

Speaking of Titus being ridiculous and self-centered, I love love loved the moment at the dinner table when he was anticipating family drama and then was just absolutely deflated when it never came. And the grandma puppet! Just so great.

Dong was an improvement over season 1. The actor still is doing an accent that is not his natural speaking voice, and is also not anything close to a Vietnamese accent. I still wish they would just let him stop it. They should also probably not have him speak in Vietnamese, because it's really weird when he can't speak his native language.

But, on the bright side, there were no egregiously bad jokes like last season taking the way Japanese people have trouble distinguishing between "L" and "R" sounds and then giving that issue to a Vietnamese person because Vietnam and Japan are both in Asia. So, a low bar, but an improvement overall.

Still: Can we just forget all this and reveal that Dong was actually Korean and his bad accent was him doing a bad impression of his Korean parents speaking English? It's ridiculous enough to work in a Tina Fey show, and that's also definitely what the actor is doing when he does the voice. Make it North Korea and you can throw in some broad Kim Jong Un jokes while you're at it. Everyone wins.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:20 PM
Gesundheit!

I'm almost through the season and agree that it's a big step up. Part of it is that they acknowledge that Kimmy's past would leave psychological scars beyond "fish out of water," which makes the show feel meatier.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:06 PM
Half-Ninja

So who else is watching Season 3?

Episode 5: Are you ok, Agent Yourmother?
Old 05-19-2017, 07:14 PM
noble beast

I'm watching it... I'm not that far yet.

E: now I am that far haha
Old 05-20-2017, 02:58 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
wow i'm glad they're tackling PC culture gone mad, again. college kids and their safe spaces, am i right??
Old 05-21-2017, 11:51 AM
so exciting!

there were only two funny parts of season 3:
the church stuff and all of the linda stuff

Tags
outside bones , they alive dammit , unnnnnbreakable