The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 05-18-2017, 12:29 PM
#deadfish2017

It's great.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:30 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
If you heard 4HoL was good, then whoever said so was being very generous. The game is very dull, very grindy.
I disagree, it's one of my favorite DS games.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:43 PM

I think 4HoL's just-pick-an-attack mechanic is super cool. I remember returning to Etrian Odyssey after finishing it and thinking EO was stuck. Silly me; it was just asking which enemy to hit.

I think it's a very pretty game. A lot of the music is surprising melancholy.

I felt like I had to grind quite a bit to beat the last boss, but maybe I just had a bad build/strategy. I dunno, it was almost seven years ago. I ended up grinding tons of gold via the shop mini-game and then using gil toss because by that point I just wanted to beat the stupid game.

But up until that point I really enjoyed it and still have fond memories despite those last few hours.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:35 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
If you heard 4HoL was good, then whoever said so was being very generous. The game is very dull, very grindy.
Different strokes. I found it much more entertaining than Bravely Default.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:36 PM
Love and Peace

4HoL likes to kick it old-school (auto-select attacks, story-gated class progression, very limited inventory) but if you can get over that, it's basically a prototype for Bravely Default.

On the other hand, if that comparison means nothing to you, you'd be better off skipping right over 4HoL and going directly to Bravely Default.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:49 PM
Not A Low-Level Life Form

I should play Revenant Wings again. It's very pretty. Is there an easy mode?
Old 05-18-2017, 03:03 PM
Mystery Contraption

4HoL is possibly the most divisive Final Fantasy game.

And considering how dang divided people are about any given entry in the franchise, that is saying quite a bit.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:31 PM
oh my car

4 Heroes of Light is janky. I love it as much for its jank as for its smooth parts, but it does make it hard to revisit. "Grindy" isn't the right word for it, but the unfortunate level scaling makes it so that the more you do grind, the more you need to grind.

There's actually no connection, aside from the lead artist and a couple cameos, between it and Bravely Default. I was surprised to learn that too! I call it a case of convergent evolution. They may both have job systems, gameplay based on manipulating the action economy, time loops, ugly dungeons, and overtones of being retro throwbacks, but they came to those similar outcomes from different directions.

Bravely Default is certainly the better game, but neither one of them can really substitute for the other.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:56 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

It still sounds like 4HoL came off better than most of the Crystal Chronicles games, anyway.

Oh yeah, Ever Oasis is finally going to come out next month! However, kind of sucks for Etrian Odyssey fans, as now that acronym is going to be more confusing.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:09 PM
MEGADRIVE OVERDRIVE

also what is its relationship to beyond oasis
Old 05-19-2017, 03:20 AM
Mystery Contraption

The use of the word "Oasis" in its title.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:55 AM

Does Echoes of Valentia have the obnoxious breeding mechanic? Because if not I am in!
Old 05-19-2017, 04:42 AM
Mystery Contraption

Friends, but no babies
Old 05-19-2017, 04:47 AM

Hot dog!
Old 05-19-2017, 08:18 AM

Default (just a related rhetorical question)

Name a bad game with 'Oasis' in the title.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:32 AM

Crystal Chronicles exists to be what you liked about the Mana games, but implemented a little more clunkily?

There have been several successors to a lot of the mechanics and game feel found in SoM, but none that I've played have hit that sweet spot where aggressive grinding can overcome lack of skill at the game or at teamwork quite as well as Crystal Chronicles. This goes for the Echoes of Time, but the netplay and local multiplayer is kinda bad. These problems might be improved by letting a Wii host the game, but then you're back in GameCube crystal chronicles territory.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:00 PM
LET'S ATTACK AGGRESSIVELY

Oasis '06 was pretty bad.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Oasis '06 was pretty bad.
This one? I hope not cause it's a rad strategy game. It won the IGF in 2004!
Old 05-24-2017, 06:18 PM
A smoothing criminal

Location: Somewhere between a rhetorical question and a punchline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
My DS and DSi XLs have screen and touch screen protectors on them, because after my original phat DS, the touch screen started to show some wear on it. I tried to get a screen protector for the New 3DS XL, and, well, I found that it screwed up my ability to use the console.

Not only the touch screen ceased to work, but even the buttons on the system locked up and didn't work correctly. This behaved this way for regular DS games, and the main menu. I don't know if this is a quirk of the New 3DS systems in general, or just the New 3DS XL. Can I simply not use a screen protector for this? The screen protector was officially licensed and was listed as being good for either the 3DS XL or the New 3DS XL. It was a brand new system, too.

Once I removed the protector, it worked perfectly. I ended up using it as a replacement protector for my cell phone after trimming it up a bit (works perfectly on that).
Really late reply, but what brand did you purchase for your screen protector? Anything other than Hori is bound to have problems (in my experience, at least). And I'd think it would be better to make sure you have a screen protector on it, considering how much you probably spent on it.

On the other hand, your N3DS might actually have some issues, either with its touch screen or elsewhere in the hardware. Did you buy it new or used? If new, you should still be in warranty, and it might be worth having that checked out by Nintendo CS for free.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:53 PM
Answers come in dreams

I leave my screens naked, but take good care of them.

I can't believe how long they're keeping the lifecycle of the 3DS. It's been out what - ? 7 years now?

The Switch is still pretty new, but doesn't Nintendo have lifecycles of 6 years for their systems?
Old 05-24-2017, 08:42 PM
hi there

It'll be longer than 7, since they just recently announced the New 2DS. I doubt they'd put that out if there was another portable just around the corner.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:02 PM

The 3DS turned six in March, so it's only a few months into its seventh year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
I doubt they'd put that out if there was another portable just around the corner.

(That's SP model AGS-101, released 2005; and the DSi XL, released 2010)
Old 05-24-2017, 09:05 PM
hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
The 3DS turned six in March, so it's only a few months into its seventh year.

(That's SP model AGS-101, released 2005; and the DSi XL, released 2010)
The SP model came out after the DS's launch, which is quite a bit different from trying to push it out before.

And the DSi XL was released in '09 in Japan, a full 15 months before the 3DS.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:17 PM

Even if it falls on the other side, I think the SP model's release is so close to the DS launch that it's instructive. And while the DSi XL had a year to itself, the DS line was still clearly on its way out by that point.

The point is that Nintendo has a history of putting out hardware revisions right before the hardware is quietly shuffled off; it's their way of squeezing juuust a little more life out of the line before it's eclipsed. The New 2DS just looks like another instance of that; I would be very surprised if it's indicative of anything more than Nintendo's last push for the 3DS.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:06 PM
hi there

Well, I'm placing my bets we won't see another new portable from them until '19.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:26 PM

I don't think we'll see one any time soon either, because I think Nintendo is expecting the Switch to tap into that market— at least in the short term.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:52 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
Well, I'm placing my bets we won't see another new portable from them until '19.
Given that one just came out that seems soon....
Old 05-25-2017, 05:26 AM
concern troll

The switch is everything I want in one Nintendo console so I hope they just stick to it and let the 3ds have a gradual decline. Maybe eventually have a switch mini as a dedicated portable to fill the lower-cost market. But from now on I want all the dev teams on one system making great stuff for home and away.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:38 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
I don't think we'll see one any time soon either, because I think Nintendo is expecting the Switch to tap into that market— at least in the short term.
Depends on what we consider the market. I don't think Nintendo expects the Switch to tap into the "relatively cheap hardware you can feel comfortable giving to the kids" market, as evidenced by existence of the New 2DS.

I don't know what comes after the 3DS generation but a 720p handheld with all the usual "more this, more that" seems likely. In a way, whatever the merits of the Switch by itself, it could also function as a dry run for getting cheaper display tech for whatever handheld comes next.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy Hits View Post
I leave my screens naked, but take good care of them.

I can't believe how long they're keeping the lifecycle of the 3DS. It's been out what - ? 7 years now?

The Switch is still pretty new, but doesn't Nintendo have lifecycles of 6 years for their systems?
If I remember correctly, Nintendo's home consoles consistently lasted 5 years in the US until the Wii U got a successor in about 4. Japan might be less consistent though, and handhelds are much more variable all together. The gameboy lasted an incredibly long time, even before the GBC, and the GBA was softly replaced after 3 years despite selling so well.

Tags
2ds , 3d display , 3ds , 3ds3 , american kirby is angry , bowser allinyoface , depth that might surprise , eyestrain , fear of new threads , handhelds , hardware , nintendo , nomonsterhunternosale , potent portables , preowned new 3ds , the ghost of gunpei yokoi , thin edge of the wedge , this is good for playcoin , virtual boy 2